http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 03:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Journey through Final Fantasy AAR (Warning: Spoilers!)  (Read 6270 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 06:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on September 16, 2006, 05:32:54 AM

Ruh-roh.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2006, 06:12:03 AM »

wow,i think it is safe to say that i think if you are prepared to play these games in Japanese then you are gonna love them all,they are great games but i often read in reviews that some of the text doesnt translate well in english...so perhaps some of the phrases will proberbly be understood better by you than they are by us

do you already own final fantasy 3?(DS jap version)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »

TheMissingLink: It's ok. Lost is good. Lost for me means that I know what I'm looking for, but just can't find it. TFL (Totally Fucking Lost) means I don't even know what I'm looking for. TFL is deadly because I always fall asleep when I'm in that stage. I tend to stay awake better when I'm only lost. And actually, last night I found the cave I was looking for, so things are moving along now. Picking up speed.

Metallicorphan: You make a great point about the language, and based on the few games I've played in both languages I think you're right on target. So many times the original Japanese is better and occasionally easier to understand than the translated English.

As for FF3, the DS version, I just ordered it from Amazon Japan last week. Unfortunately, it's on the back order from hell and isn't expected to ship until late October. Then my brother-in-law has to ship it to me here. So it'll probably be mid-November before I get it. That might create a delay in this project, but at the pace I play the games, it might work out perfectly. I also ordered the GBA version of FF4 with that order.

Gamewise, I think I'm in good shape. FF5 comes out for the GBA in October, and somewhere around here I have that PS1 compilation of FF4-6 in Japanese as a backup. I know I have the PS1 version of FF7 in Japanese. I've got Final Fantasy Tactics in Japanese should I decide to include that one, and I have the PS2 version of FF10. I might have FF8 as well. I get a little foggy on the details as the series moves forward, but I think I still need to get FF9 and FF12. There is an X-2 or something like that as well, right? I'm pretty sure I don't have that one. I'm going to pass on FF11, the online version.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2006, 02:48:19 AM »

Mithril and Flying Ships

When we last left our heroes, they were wandering around looking for a mine entrance...

After a somewhat arduous search we located the entrance to the mithril mine and began slogging our way through a few levels of goblins, soldiers, and slime. The opposition didn’t put up much of a fight, and before long we had freed the townsfolk, gotten our hands on some mithril, and eliminated the leader of the mine. All in a day’s work.

When we reported back to the leader of the rebellion, she got all excited and sent us off with the mithril to a blacksmith. We duly gave him the stuff and he started making weapons for the rebellion. Then—get this—he wants to sell them to us! What a Scrooge! We bust our butts bringing you a supply of mithril and you have the audacity to not only give us nothing for our effort, but also to charge us for weapons made from the stuff? Sheesh. What an ass.

And this brings up a point in this game that is markedly different from Final Fantasy I: money is hard to come by. I’ve been to five or six towns now, and I can usually only afford a couple of items at each one. I am always out of cash and needing more to buy something. Contrast this with Final Fantasy I, where I could have outfitted everyone in every town with the best gear relatively early on in the game. Perhaps this will change as I get further in the game, but right now I’m liking this much better than Final Fantasy I, where money was essentially meaningless for most of the game.

But anyway, we managed to purchase a couple of mithril weapons and headed back to the leader, who immediately sent us on our next mission: find and destroy a flying warship that the Empire is building. We found the town where the craft was located, heard rumors of a rebellion spy working inside the Empire’s guards, found the spy, and gained access to the sewers leading to the construction site. We fought our through the sewers only to get to the construction site too late: the Dark Night’s forces had already completed it. All we could do was watch the launch, popcorn in hand for the cut scene. We did however, find some documents left behind that will gain us access to the ship if we can find it again. Silly Empire, the devil is in the details.

At the moment, we’re heading back to give the leader of the rebellion the news about the flying ship, which is reportedly heading for a town nearby. We’ll find out what our next task will be in the near future.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2006, 06:00:58 PM »

The Zen Moment

My current save game sits in the perfect zen moment. But no zen moment can be truly appreciated without an understanding of what transcended before that instant of inner peace and tranquility, so we need some background to our story…

We returned towards the rebel town from our failed mission to destroy the enemy flying warship. On route we went through the devastated towns and villages that had been ravaged by the ferocious warship. Houses were gutted; bodies lined the streets. Chaos and despair reigned. On the way we also spoke with the owner of a flying transport ship that we used to get around a bit on our travels, and he mentioned that he thought the warship used something called “the Fire of the Sun” to get its power, and that if we could destroy the engine that housed this power, the warship itself would explode. We made note of this and proceeded on our way, finally getting back to meet with the rebel leader.

She explained that there was a temple that used the Fire of the Sun as a symbol, and that we should go there to check things out. Nice! So easy, I thought. However, things are not always as they seem. First, our rent-a-mage decided to stick around the rebel town to help with the wounded from the warship bombing. That left us with only three party members, and no real healer in the bunch. Not a big deal, perhaps, so we set off for the temple anyway. Took a while to get there, but finally we stood facing the entrance to the temple, with our backs to a vast and sprawling jungle. We reached out to open the door…nothing. The door is locked.

Huh? We need a key? What key?

Ah…! I’m sure you can just smell the zen moment, where the mind is a total blank sheet.

The neat thing about zen moments is that they can lead to zen riddles, or koans. For example: if a keyless digital party screams in frustration at a digital door to a digital temple in a digital fantasy wilderness, does it make any noise? I don’t know the answer to that one, but I do know the answer to this one: if a man lying beside his sleeping wife in bed in the middle of the night screams in frustration because that same digital party doesn’t have the key to the digital door to the digital temple in the digital fantasy wilderness, does he make any noise? Judging by my wife’s angry grunt and vicious left hook to my shoulder, the answer here is “yes”.

Yes, Zen moments are fragile like grasshoppers.

Argh! What key? Nobody said anything about needing a damn key! Where in the world am I going to find this key? Is it something I missed in a previous town? Is it something that someone said to me that I didn’t understand? I know the word for key in Japanese, so I don’t think I would have missed the clue, but if I didn’t miss any clue, where the hell do I find out about the key? Damn, damn, damn.

And with those questions running through my head and my bewildered party wondering what to do next, I saved the game and retired for now. Another day may provide fresh insight.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »

"That left us with only three party members, and no real healer in the bunch."
You can have any character learn any spell, so you can really turn them into anything you want.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2006, 08:07:10 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 26, 2006, 07:12:03 PM

"That left us with only three party members, and no real healer in the bunch."
You can have any character learn any spell, so you can really turn them into anything you want.

Yes, I'm really enjoying the leveling/character development system in this game so far. I'm not sure how it will work out in the end game, but so far it's been fun to see the flexibility in the system.

The three base members I have now actually all know the basic healing spell, but they are still at Level 1/Level 2 and all have relatively low Magic Points (MP). The guy that left was a full-fledged healer with a bunch of spells and had over 100 MP. I'd like to develop the magical element of my base party more, but magic spells seem expensive, and I haven't been able to buy that many spells for each character yet.

But thanks. The first hour I was playing I was trying to figure out who my mage was and who the figthers were. Then it dawned on me that the characters' actions would be what determines what class they would be become.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »

Could you Say that One More Time…?

With no clue as to the location of the key to the Fire of the Sun Temple, we returned to the rebel leader. She said something about Scott or Gordon knowing more about the temple. But I don’t remember Scott (I thought he died early in the story?) and Gordon skipped town “mysteriously”. Lost, with no idea what to do, we wandered around the rebel headquarters and stumbled into the king’s chambers. The good king, by the way, is badly hurt and recovering at the rebel headquarters. Aha! Jackpot! The king mentioned that the temple was locked to prevent anyone from getting inside, and that we need either a key (Scott or Gordon have one) or something called a Goddess’ Bell. Joseph, some guy in a village far away, knows where the bell is! Woot! I actually remembered Joseph, so off we go to see Joey.

Generally, when I run into NPC conversations in Japanese, I run through them once real fast to get a feel for the general length and content, then read them again for the important details. Well, I blew through the conversation with Joseph at light speed. He said something about going somewhere, and that we’d find the bell in the room to the upper right of a blue stone on the first floor of the place we should go to. Great. No problem. Now let’s hear that one more…

…oops. Joseph joins our party and says, “Let’s go!”

I can’t hear the conversation again and I have no clue where he said we’re supposed to go.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »

Death by Bowling Ball

I might be stupid, but I’m not dumb. After I realized that I couldn’t hear the conversation from Joseph again, I did one very smart thing before I quit for the night: I saved the game to a new save game slot! This allowed me to open up to my previous save and play through to the conversation with Joseph again. Since replaying that portion of the game would take about 15 minutes, and I could wander for hours looking for the place I was supposed to go, it just made sense to go back in time to hear Joseph’s conversation once more.

This time I took the time to listen carefully to what he had to say. Armed with my new and improved knowledge, we headed off to a cave to locate a snow ship. We quickly found it, then set off on it to the high mountains to look for the cave with the Goddess Bell. The snowy entrance to the cave was obvious, and we quickly found ourselves hacking our way through furry snowmen and walking icicles. This dungeon was fairly bountiful in terms of rewards: we got some decent weapons and armor, and picked up about 10,000 gil as well. The highlight of the adventure, however, was learning that Gai can speak "Beaver", as we discovered a pool of giant beavers whose leader was nice enough to guide us to the secret passage to the Bell once he realized that one of us spoke his language. Finally, we defeated the guardian of the bell, recovered the item, and made our way for the exit.

Blocking the exit was the Dark Lord’s minion! Oh oh! This was not good, as our party was fairly weak and nearly out of magic points. The minion babbled on about a few things, and it became clear that he wanted the bell as well. Well, we fought over it, but my fears were unfounded: he fell after a few dozen jabs, slashes, and whacks of our mithril weapons.

But..., as he fell, he used the last of his strength to release a mighty bowling ball from the cave wall! Run away! The ball was too fast, and death seemed imminent. Suddenly, Joseph turned around and held the ball off so we could escape. The precious seconds he bought us saved our party, but Joseph would die an ignominious death: crushed by bowling ball.

Leaving one flat, dead member of our party behind, we headed out of the land of snow,  Goddess Bell in hand.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 08:47:28 PM »

Seasons of Slumber

Well, real life took a nasty step into this endeavor. Work got insanely busy, and I basically went about 2 weeks of firing up my DS at about midnight, then being completely asleep within five minutes. It took me about ten days to get my party back from the snow cave to the rebel town, which normally should take about ten minutes, tops. Some nights I went backwards: I'd start in one direction, fall asleep with my thumb on a movement button, and snap awake with my party randomly marching up against some cliff, or patiently waiting for me to give orders at the start of a battle. Yikes.

The Force was clearing testing me, and yet through all this, I peservered and got the party back to the rebel town.

Late last week, life dipped from insanely busy to simply busy, and I managed to get the party into the Temple of the Sun using the newly acquired Goddess Bell. Once inside, they bumped into the Gordon (the manic depressant), who joined the party. We fought our way up through a tough assortment of creatures, got the Fire of the Sun, and--with two party members dead and the other two near death--barely escaped from the temple. Whew. That was a great little adventure, and quite challenging.

However, things didn't turn out quite as I expected. We got back to town, resurrected our two dead party members (who were of the temporarily dead variety), and went to talk with the rebel leader. However, when I take the Fire of the Sun to her, she won't even talk with us. She apparently is blaming Joseph's death (which was of the permanent kind) on Gordon, who could have opened the Temple of the Sun given his special abilities, but by being absent, forced us to go with Joseph to the Snow Temple to get the Goddess Bell, where Joseph died. Whew, this is getting confusing.

This is all fine and good, but the problem is that I have no idea how to advance the plot. I think I can get in and destroy the flying warship, but I can't find the ship and have no idea where it is. If the leader won't clue us in on how to do this, I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. I've wandered around a bit, but no one seems to be of any useful help. I'll keep wandering around a bit more. Maybe I have to bring Joseph back to life? Maybe I could go to his town again and see if anything is different there. Or maybe I need to put the Fire of the Sun in the flame that is in front of the Sun Temple. Humm.

TFL
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:58:13 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2006, 08:52:29 PM »

Final Fantasy III & IV are on their Way!

On a more positive note, I received word from Amazon Japan and my brother-in-law that Final Fantasy III and IV have been delivered in Japan. As I write this, the two games are likely en route to me in the United States. Final Fantasy III was the missing link in the sequence, and I wasn't looking forward to using an emulator to play the game. But now it looks like III & IV will arrive well before I finish up FFII. This is good. If I can ever finish FFII.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 09:16:38 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on October 17, 2006, 08:52:29 PM

Final Fantasy III & IV are on their Way!

On a more positive note, I received word from Amazon Japan and my brother-in-law that Final Fantasy III and IV have been delivered in Japan. As I write this, the two games are likely en route to me in the United States. Final Fantasy III was the missing link in the sequence, and I wasn't looking forward to using an emulator to play the game. But now it looks like III & IV will arrive well before I finish up FFII. This is good. If I can ever finish FFII.
Hah, keep it up!  Good news on getting those two - very cool.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2006, 05:52:36 AM »

Depward: Whoops. Sorry I missed your post there. Thanks. Unfortunately, my brother-in-law seems to have disappeared off the planet and my games aren't here yet. Still got a lot of FFII left, so there is plenty of time, but I'd like to get those games.

Long Time No Write…

Yikes, it’s been a while since I’ve updated this. However, don’t let this make you think that I haven’t been making progress. Things have actually been going very well with the game.

My idea to put the Flame of the Sun in the flame in front of the Sun Temple was the right answer, so after I wrote the previous entry I quickly got unstuck. The Rebellion leader promptly got herself captured and taken aboard the giant flying warship that we were supposed to destroy, so this gave us yet another reason to attack the craft.

We discovered, raided, and destroyed the warship in a relatively straightforward fight. In the process, we saved the rebel leader. Everyone loves us now, and things are spiraling up.

Since then, we’ve gone off and saved the last egg of the flying dragons, raided and helped liberate an enemy-held town, and found some sort of white mask that will help us on our upcoming mission: to find a lost ally and some sort of magic tomes.

So far I have to say that I am absolutely loving this game. The combat system rocks. I like the concept of having your characters’ actions determine their skills, and the execution seems solid. In the caves with the massive giants, I couldn’t hurt them much with conventional weapons, so I simply worked on magic on successive runs through the place. By the third time in, my party’s magic skills had advanced to the point where the giants were manageable in combat. Great stuff, and very rewarding. Also, the plot is much better than the first story.

Lastly, I think my Japanese is improving as well. I have yet to have to look up anything in the walkthrough, and although I am not catching all of the language, I am catching plenty to follow the story and understand my directions. Steady as she goes.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 06:03:56 AM »

Scavenger Hunting 101

I’m a bit unsure of our current mission, but I think I’m supposed to find some magic tomes that will greatly aid the rebellion in its fight against the Empire. You’d think they would make this easy: go to a library and check them out. But this is Final Fantasy, and nothing is easy. To get our hands on these tomes, we needed to get a white mask from the basement dungeon of a castle, then get a black mask from a dungeon on an island in the middle of the ocean, then get a crystal rod from a dungeon in the middle of the jungle. On top of this, we have to figure out what to do with the masks and the rod once we’ve got them.

Fortunately, the mask parts were easy, as we bumped into one guy blocking the down stairway on the third floor of a dungeon who wouldn’t move no matter what we tried to do to him. Puzzled, we offered him a black mask. He took it, put it on, and walked away, most likely to go sell the thing on Ebay. This, however, cleared the way for us to continue our search for the crystal rod. We also gave the white mask in a similar fashion to a subterranean statue of a goddess, but this didn’t seem to benefit us as much: the statue we gave it to just put it on and continued to stand there. Fortunately, she wasn’t in the way to anyplace, as far as we can tell. This has us a bit confused as to why we needed the white mask in the first place, but I’m guessing time will clear this little mystery up.

Anyway, I digress. Where were we? Ah, yes, the search for the magic tomes…

We now have the crystal rod in hand. The friendly citizens in the town of Mindia tell us that this rod will gain us access to a tower, and in this tower lie the magic tomes. I can just smell how close we are to finally getting these powerful books! However, there is one tiny problem: I have no clue where the tower is. I think someone already told us the location of this all important tower, but I was so busy trying to remember all the crap about the masks and the rods that apparently this one minor detail slipped my mind, and now I have no idea who I was talking to.

So…you guessed it. We’re currently wandering the world again, lost, asking anyone if they know anything about a tower with magic books inside it. This could take a while.

Time Played to Date: 37 hours, 44 minutes

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2006, 06:21:56 AM »

Random notes...

I'm currently in the process of moving this endeavor to a blog, so I can have more control over the layout and such. I should finish up with in a week or so. I'll make a post here to let everyone know, in case anyone would like to keep following.

Also, we finally got in touch with my long lost brother-in-law in Japan, who reported that he would be sending me Final Fantasy 3 & 4 "within a couple of days"! That was a week or so ago, so the next two games in the series should be arriving at my door any day now. I also was able to purchase the Japanese version of Final Fantasy X-2 on Ebay fairly cheaply, so the collection is growing larger. Right now things look like this:

FF 1 (GBA, finished)
FF 2 (GBA, currently playing)
FF 3 (DS, in transit)
FF 4 (GBA, in transit)
FF 5 (PS1 anthology, but will likely buy the new version)
FF 6 (PS1 anthology, but will likely buy the new version when it comes out)
FF 7 (PS1)
FF 8 (don't own)
FF 9 (don't own)
FF X (PS2)
FF X-2 (PS2, in transit)
FF 11 (won't be playing)
FF 12 (don't own)

FF Tactics (PS1)
FF Tactics Advance (GBA)

All in all, unless I'm forgetting to include a game on this list, I only need three more games to complete the collection, although I'll likely end up buying five more to get the latest versions of FF 5 & 6.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:05:09 AM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »

We Are Lunch

In our search for the lost tower, the gods of Crom shined down upon us. We noticed a small yellow dot on our world map, on a c-shaped atoll in the middle of the ocean. As far as I could remember, we hadn’t been there yet, so off we went to explore. Sure enough, there was a tall brown tower! Bingo! Rarely do I find anything so fast in Final Fantasy, so our party decided to have a small celebration as they entered the harbor of the atoll that held the tower.

Alas, our cause for celebration was premature, as we presently got sucked into a giant whirlpool. When we awoke, we found ourselves in the stomach of a giant leviathon, and our fourth party member, Leila, was missing. Crud.

Apparently we were not the first ones to get a crystal rod, set sail for the tower, and get swallowed up by this creature. We bumped into a small village of people living in the belly of the beast, complete with sets of furniture and decorated quarters. In Final Fantasy, apparently people pack well before they go off and get gobbled up by giant sea monsters. “Let’s see, today we’ll likely get swallowed by a sea monster, so let’s pack our living room before we set sail.”

One of the people there, a dragon rider named Richard, promptly joined our party to fill the fourth spot. Normally this would be plus, but Richard is a wuss. He has one-eighth the hit points of the others in our party, and generally gets himself killed or turned into stone in the first two rounds of combat. I suppose I should be grateful that he draws fire, but it’s kind of a pain in the butt to resurrect him and unstone him all the time. To be honest, it’s gotten to be such a pain to do this that I’m pretty much just dragging him behind us in stone form all the time now. Saves time, and he doesn’t even complain when we bounce his head on the stairs going down.

Anyway, we’re currently swimming through acid pools in the belly of this monster and looking for a way out.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2006, 03:43:24 AM »

The move is done...

I finished moving all the posts over to the blog. Somewhere in the past few days, I changed the address to the blog as well. If people would like to follow along, the new (and final) link is:

Final Fantasy: Lost in Japanese

I'll probably make an occasional post here when I finished a game in the series or reach some other milestone, but from now on I'll be trying to make regular posts on the blog.

Thanks to everyone who read along, posted feedback, and offered encouragement while I got started! Much appreciated!

GB

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »

Just to update this a bit...

The blogging was fun enough that I decided to get a domain name and a regular host for the project. As a result, I moved everything one more time, and switched from Blogger to WordPress for blogging software.

For those interested in following along, the new and likely permanent link is:
Final Fantasy: Lost in Japanese

I finished Final Fantasy II a couple of weeks ago, and just started Final Fantasy III. So far, so good.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2007, 06:48:04 AM »

In case anyone might still be interested, the attempt to play all the Final Fantasy games in Japanese still moves on.

I've finished Final Fantasy 3 on the DS (it took me forever), although for a while there things looked a bit shaky. One final grind and push got me to the top of the Crystal Tower, though. I dropped the Cloud of Darkness on the first try, which was lucky.

I've just started Final Fantasy IV on the GBA.

If people would like to follow along, the blog is still here: Final Fantasy: Lost in Japanese

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »

Bookmarked and reading smile

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »

Just checked it out.  I must say I'm extremely jealous of your japanese ability! I have no problems with katakana or hirigana but i'm only a novice at Kanji.  It would take me forever to go through all of that dialog!! I must say that your blog is extremely professional looking.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »

ROTC: I hope you enjoy it! It's been fun to do so far.

Canuck: Some of the games (FF1, FF4, maybe FF2 but I forget at the moment) have a kanji/hirgana toggle setting. So you can read something with kanji on, then jump to the settings, turn off the kanji, and go back and read it again in hiragana. I don't do have to do it much now, but it helped in FF1 when a lot of the vocab was new to me.

Even with that, I miss quite a bit of what the characters say. It's been great language practice, though, because you've got to be able to understand enough to figure out what you're supposed to do. If I don't know what to do, I usually just wander around for a while. Eventually something clicks. Kind of like life.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog layout. Templates for the win. smile

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: