http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A blurb about upcoming BC update for 360.  (Read 2893 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »

Peter Moore has revealed that DOOM 3 and LEGO Star Wars will be playable on Xbox 360 after this week's update to the list of backward compatible Xbox games.

Moore revealed in Major Nelson's latest podcast that the upcoming update will add twenty new titles, including DOOM 3 and LEGO Star Wars, to the growing list of Xbox games playable on Xbox 360.

The corporate vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division of Microsoft Corp. also apologized for the misunderstanding generated after his comments on the interview with Kikizo.[/quote]
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:34:20 PM »

I'm finally online after about 2 months of no internet (the hell that was!) this is good news.. although I remember g4tv reporting that Peter Moore said they were giving up on backwards compatiblity (about 2 weeks ago maybe?) he said nobody cares about it and it's time to move on.
Again I havent had internet for a while that's just what g4tv layla kaleyie reported.. Almost felt like trading in my 360 just because of that because I think there are still plenty of games that should be BC - in particular Counter-Strike, Conker, Unreal Championship 1 & 2 and the new ones still coming out that dont have 360 ports.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I'm finally online after about 2 months of no internet (the hell that was!) this is good news.. although I remember g4tv reporting that Peter Moore said they were giving up on backwards compatiblity (about 2 weeks ago maybe?) he said nobody cares about it and it's time to move on.
Again I havent had internet for a while that's just what g4tv layla kaleyie reported.. Almost felt like trading in my 360 just because of that because I think there are still plenty of games that should be BC - in particular Counter-Strike, Conker, Unreal Championship 1 & 2 and the new ones still coming out that dont have 360 ports.

His comment was pretty quickly shot down and retracted.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTk1MDYsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Doom 3
Lego Star Wars
Spider-Man 1
Star Wars: Battlefront 1
Dreamfall
Amped 2
Punisher
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
4X4 Evolution 2
State of Emergency
Silent Hill 4: The Room
FlatOut
Big Mutha Truckers
Bad Boys 2
Fatal Frame
Spawn: Armageddon
Minority Report
Zapper
MLB Slugfest 2004
Intellivision Lives
Rallisport Challenge 1

(Japanese Xbox)
Magatama Bistro Cupid 1
Flight Academy
Othello Seminar
Igo Seminar Shogi Seminar
Mahjong Seminar

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:56:18 PM »

Bad Boys 2! YES!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:59:07 PM »

Ugh, that update sucks.  Still missing the vast majority of the fan favorites that are most commonly requested at this stage.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:53 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Ugh, that update sucks.  Still missing the vast majority of the fan favorites that are most commonly requested at this stage.

Bingo. Which again makes no damn sense to me. Why is it the majority of the updates are for no-name bullshit titles when other most-requested ones are outright ignored? I just don't get it.

/shakes head

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:12:59 PM »

The reason for all the crap titles is the following:
Microsoft picks two or three major titles at a time (like Doom 3) and attempts to work out routines that will allow them to be backwards compatible. In the process of doing so, other titles accidentally benefit from the research and become backwards compatible. (Did anyone really think that they spent months trying to get Barbie's Horse Adventures to work? smile )

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »

Yeah, I'm guessing that the main targets here were probably Doom 3 and Lego Star Wars and the rest came from that.  Doesn't make it any less disappointing to me though.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:22 PM »

I still don't understand why the other two PoP games aren't on the list.  Did the engine change that much?
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »

Combined average score from Game Rankings = 70.  HOT!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 11:43:22 PM »

The second Phantom Dust is backwards compatible is the second I go grab  a copy of it.  I enjoyed that game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 11:45:16 PM »

Think of it this way: ANY backward compatibility is because MS is creating an XBox emulator for it.

That obviously takes time, and they have to make sure any improvements aren't breaking compatibility with previously working titles.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:45:42 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
The second Phantom Dust is backwards compatible is the second I go grab  a copy of it.  I enjoyed that game.

I am kind of waiting to buy a 360 for that game.
I say kind of because, well, I don't have $400 either.

PSN ID: EduardoX
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 02:41:51 AM »

MLB Slugfest 2004?  Yes!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 05:21:27 AM »

so,after star wars battlefront 1,just metal gear solid 2 to go to be made backwards compatible,and then i can throw my xbox 1 away!!,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 06:20:42 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

I am kind of waiting to buy a 360 for that game.
I say kind of because, well, I don't have $400 either.

Yep. With you guys here. I'm tempted by the 360... PD working might would push me over the edge.

Well, that, and if Prey doesn't suck...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 02:54:43 AM »

I'm actually really excited about Dreamfall:The Longest Journey.  I'm probably alone there, but I am.  And I'll probably go pick up FlatOUT now that  it's cheap and BC

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »

I thought this thread was about the game B.C hehe.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 02:42:10 AM »

It is puzzling why they do not get more A list games in there but, is this really moving systems?

Front Mission 3 is the only PS1 game I have ever played on a PS2 and that just happened for me recently.  Backwards compatibility clearly matters, more to some than others, but a console needs its own library to really shine.  I dont think BC affects sales of a console in a meaningful way.  I think one blockbuster exclusive moves more systems than being completely backwards compatible would.

olaf
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 02:58:16 AM »

I think Backwards compatibility is fairly important until a new console's library can stand on it's own.  Which I'm sure will be the case with the Xbox 360 by the time Christmas rolls around.  But right now, there haven't been any "must have" releases since Obilvion and GRAW back in March - so BC remains a way of sustaining interest until more AAA original titles hit the shelves.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 04:11:53 AM »

Agreed.  If it wasn't for the live arcade games I would be chomping at the bit even more than I already am for a new game.  

Didn't realize that Ghost recon 2 was BC, may pick that up soon.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 04:13:30 AM »

Quote from: "olaf"
It is puzzling why they do not get more A list games in there but, is this really moving systems?

It's sure as hell keeping me from buying one.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »

Why would being able to play old games you can play currently on hardware you already own be the deciding factor in spending $400 for a new console?  You can play the games whether or not you buy the new console.

olaf
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 05:07:01 PM »

Why would being able to play old games you can play currently on hardware you already own be the deciding factor in spending $400 for a new console?  You can play the games whether or not you buy the new console.

olaf

No offense, but some of us are in situations where money or space is a factor.  Both are for me right now (I live in a tiny apartment in NYC, with fairly sky-high rent), and thus, as much as I hated to let go, I just sold my Xbox with all my non-BC games.  And with as frequently as I move to school and back (two moves a year, plus a semi-move at winter break), hauling that much stuff around is truly unreasonable.  There are games I'll miss playing, but MS screwed the pooch on this one, and I bought into their hype.  Oh, well, at least I have Forza.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 07:06:04 PM »

olaf

Because, as Clanwolfer said, there are those of us with limited financial and spatial resources and I'm not going back and forth between two different Xboxes because Microsoft can't get their shit together. Plain as that. Also consider this - there are exactly zero games out now for the 360 that I consider must-owns. That's going to be changing in the next six to eight months, but right now I have no reason in the world to buy a 360. That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the PS2 so much. I could play my PS games on it just fine.

I'm not throwing out the library of XB games I have just because Microsoft thinks I'll leap at anything shiny.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 07:20:05 PM »

The tragedy is that it is shiny, and I did jump.  Do I regret it?  Yeah, I have standard buyers' remorse, and I'd have much less if I could have hung onto the titles I sent off with my Xbox early this week when I sold it here.  But I needed the money, the Xbox had to go, and I merely blame Microsoft for the slight loss of gaming goodness in my life.

Now the PSP was my fault for jumping at shiny, and if/when I sell it on here, that will garner much more buyers' remorse (even though MLB06 is the finest baseball game I've ever played).

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »

Because, as Clanwolfer said, there are those of us with limited financial and spatial resources and I'm not going back and forth between two different Xboxes because Microsoft can't get their shit together. Plain as that. Also consider this - there are exactly zero games out now for the 360 that I consider must-owns. That's going to be changing in the next six to eight months, but right now I have no reason in the world to buy a 360. That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the PS2 so much. I could play my PS games on it just fine.

I'm not throwing out the library of XB games I have just because Microsoft thinks I'll leap at anything shiny.

I never agree with that excuse. I don't feel like Microsoft holds any sort of responsibility towards us to make the 360 backwards compatible. Like I've said before, no one used to cry about the fact that you couldn't play SNES games on the N64, or Saturn games on the Dreamcast. If you want to play Xbox games, play them on your Xbox. If "spatial resources" are your biggest issue, then obviously you simply don't have room to own any new consoles (which sounds ridiculous to me). Not to mention the fact that zero games in the 360 library interests you, so why do you own one?

Sorry, I don't mean to take personal shots at your or anything but whenever people start demanding MS allocate more resources towards backwards compatibility it pisses me off because I paid $400 to play NEW games and have NEW experiences and I don't want anything to take away from that.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 10:18:42 PM »

Quote from: "Ridah"

I never agree with that excuse. I don't feel like Microsoft holds any sort of responsibility towards us to make the 360 backwards compatible. Like I've said before, no one used to cry about the fact that you couldn't play SNES games on the N64, or Saturn games on the Dreamcast. If you want to play Xbox games, play them on your Xbox. If "spatial resources" are your biggest issue, then obviously you simply don't have room to own any new consoles (which sounds ridiculous to me). Not to mention the fact that zero games in the 360 library interests you, so why do you own one?

Sorry, I don't mean to take personal shots at your or anything but whenever people start demanding MS allocate more resources towards backwards compatibility it pisses me off because I paid $400 to play NEW games and have NEW experiences and I don't want anything to take away from that.

Tell you what... if spatial issues aren't a big deal for you, you go ahead and help me move back into the dorm this fall.  I'll make sure to have lots of extra boxes of unnecessary crap that I'd rather not carry around ready.   Tongue

See, the thing is, nobody would be pissed if they mentioned it as a possible future bonus.  But they weren't forthcoming about it; they promised a goal of 100% compatibility, and then punked out on us.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 11:52:19 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"

Tell you what... if spatial issues aren't a big deal for you, you go ahead and help me move back into the dorm this fall.  I'll make sure to have lots of extra boxes of unnecessary crap that I'd rather not carry around ready.   Tongue

See, the thing is, nobody would be pissed if they mentioned it as a possible future bonus.  But they weren't forthcoming about it; they promised a goal of 100% compatibility, and then punked out on us.

Key word, goal.  The goal is 100% compatability, and eventually they may get there.  I think the best thing they could do is let developers work with them that want to make thier games BC.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2006, 12:22:27 AM »

I never agree with that excuse.  It's not like they've got Bungie or Rare working on BC and consequently Halo 3 gets delayed.  The BC team is entirely separate, not composed of a team at MGS that would otherwise be developing games, nor is it using anything like lead designers, artists, composesers, and everyone else that would go toward making a full dev team.  The only resources being "wasted" here are MS dollars and they've got lots.  I'm not convinced that if MS didn't employ their team of emulation "ninjas" you would be seeing any additional NEW games and NEW experiences on that $400 console.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2006, 12:27:13 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"

They don't owe us a THING. BC was never touted as their big selling feature; it was a bonus to existing xbox customers.

Actually, the interweb whined about BC, so MS dedicated teams of people to bring BC to life. They are emulating on incompatible hardware to make games which, made from different dev companies and teams, used it differently. Some of these games took years to make initially, and have custom code to take advantage of the Xbox1's propietary architecture.

If it takes them a year to convert a game, is it worth the cost of it over being able to bring 30-50 other games in the same time? Is the old developer cooperating with the emulation?

They never ONCE promised 100% compatability with all xbox1 games. I seem to remember the whine tuning in on "the most popular games" used before the 360 launch, and how people were concerned that BG&E or POP1 wouldn't make the cut because they bombed at retail.

The only reason the low-rent games are on board is either because they were easy, made easy by another more popular game, or (perhaps) if they wanted an even spread on genres.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2006, 02:44:14 AM »

They don't owe us a THING. BC was never touted as their big selling feature; it was a bonus to existing xbox customers.

Well, that is just not true.  It is true that they never promised 100% BC, but they said it was their goal which made it an implied promise.  BC was announced as a feature at E3 '05 and received a big response.   It wasn't just a bonus for xbox owners.  It was a feature of the console.  For owners and people who wanted to instantly build up the games they could play on the system if they never owned an xbox previously.

This thread is on page 2 already.  I've seen numerous BC threads spread to multiple pages.  Yet there are still people out there who claim it's not a big deal because it's not a big deal to them.  Learn to accept that other people may have a strong, valid opinion that is not yours.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »

I recall MS originally saying that the 360 wouldn't be backward-compatible. The Intarweb exploded and they quickly backtracked to say that "best selling" (read: Halos) titles would be BC, then further covered themselves by saying they were striving for 100%.

I just wish they were a little more transparent about the process. Do regular blog updates, discuss the progress or delays, etc. Microsoft has the problem of initially telling the truth and having it blow up in their faces, and then have to cover it up with half-truths and false promises. I honestly don't know why Peter Moore keeps his job. It seems like every time he gives an interview, the damage control team has to sweep in.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 01:26:52 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"

They never ONCE promised 100% compatability with all xbox1 games.

Yes they did.

At Monday's event, Microsoft also announced plans to make all games from its previous console compatible with the upcoming Xbox 360. However, few details were given regarding how, or when, updated support for Xbox titles would be achieved. Microsoft representatives did say they would start with more popular titles such as "Halo," then move down the line.

http://vision.pcvsconsole.com/?article=3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: