http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 weeks without playing anything... *Updated*  (Read 3389 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »

...and I predict it's going to be a LONGGGGGGG stretch until I do.

I hate everything and I'm bored to death of everything.
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »

It happens.  I must admit there is nothing on my consoles nor on the horizon for my consoles that has me excited.  May not play them for awhile either.  Now, it is all about my pc.  Having fun with some pc games for sure.  Seriously debating not getting a 360 for the first year and spending that $1000(console, warranty, and games for the first year) on an upgrade of my pc.  I spend far more time on it anyway.  

I am also getting back to reading more heavily.  I may even go outside some day.  I have parted the curtains and seen people go by and stuff, but so far have been too afraid to venture out.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »

Reading has really taken over for me.  I get a plot (an RPG) without having to travel from place to place or put up with griefers (MMORPG).

Started reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  Got a good start on book 1. :-)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 03:12:15 PM »

Possible solutions to your problem (at least these have worked for me this summer):
PS2 + God of War
DS + Meteos
Cube + RE4
PSP + Wipeout Pure
Xbox + Splinter Cell:CT

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »

I tried SC:CT and got into the 2nd mission and:
1) Couldn't figure out where to go.
2) Was prohibited (!!!) from using my gun.

It's always interesting to me to see how quick it takes a game to become tedious.  SC:CT started out great (!!!) and completely and totally lost my interest in mission 2. I just stopped playing it.

I get very little time for entertainment and I will not spend it being frustrated with a game.

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Possible solutions to your problem (at least these have worked for me this summer):
PS2 + God of War
DS + Meteos
Cube + RE4
PSP + Wipeout Pure
Xbox + Splinter Cell:CT
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:44:11 PM »

I haven't played anything modern lately... but I recently got a modded Atari 7800 and a Cuttle Cart.  So I have access to *every* game made for the Atari 2600 and 7800, all in glorious S-Video smile  Lots of playtime on that.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I haven't played anything modern lately... but I recently got a modded Atari 7800 and a Cuttle Cart.  So I have access to *every* game made for the Atari 2600 and 7800, all in glorious S-Video smile  Lots of playtime on that.

*sniff*

So my 2600 wasn't good enough for you?

Tongue
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 05:12:46 PM »

I agree about Splinter Cell CT.  I got to the bank and got frustrated with what to do and gave up on the whole game.  Done.  I think that is the third mission.  I will agree though that if you have not played RE4 then you are missing out on one of the best games of this generation.  Same goes for God of War.  Both are reasons alone to own those consoles.  Phenomenal.  

As for the Wheel of Time series, I could never get into it.  Just the size of the books and the number of them have me turned off before I even start.  I just don't like things to drag out that long, so, I will never start.  Lord of the Rings was about as long as I could stand to go for a series.  But I am glad you like em.  You shouldn't have to worry about something to read for the next 3 years with all of those.  Plus, I have yet to find a fantasy novel worth reading in the last 5 years.  The last great one I read was Dragon World.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »

The answer to your gaming ennui is Lego Star Wars, and you can get it for 20 bucks at Circuit City (sale ends today).  I haven't been much of a gamer lately, and I've never seen the most recent 3 Star Wars movies (which the game covers), but this game is a lot of fun.

For what it's worth, I haven't spent a lot of time gaming for the past year either--maybe a few hours per month at most.  I started learning Japanese a year ago this week and it's eaten a lot of my time, along with starting a new business and starting a new job hunt.  I've been enjoying reading on and off and even am getting the itch to do some PC gaming again.

Thanks to a pay cut at work, I've also had to start selling some video games on ebay.  That's a blessing and a curse.  My complete sealed set of the .hack games and my NI trilogy (Disgaea and Phantom Brave) with guides will bring a good amount of cash, and really, I just don't have time to do them justice.  It's still a little sad to see them go, though.

Enough whining.  Back to mowing the lawn.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 05:46:39 PM »

Go over to gamerankings.com, find out some top notch games that you've never played for your respective console(s), and go rent 'em. Have a PS2? Play Katamari Damacy. It'll renew your faith in video gaming.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 05:57:54 PM »

I haven't played a game since around mid-May and I don't see myself playing one again until well into the Fall.  It's entirely self-imposed though- I've just got other things I want to do in the meantime.  I know its not permanent though- just five minutes playing Twilight Princess at Comicon and I couldn't wait until November.  

The only thing that my gaming "break" has really affected is that I've decided to sell my Xbox and the majority of my games for it and I'm contemplating waiting on getting a 360 (which was previously a shoe-in as a Christmas present this year).
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

Ouch!  I don't think I've ever had that long of a phase where I was just plain bored with everything.  However, I've played very little for the same time period, because that was about when I got my puppy.  Been doing more walking, toy-shopping, park-visiting, obedience-training, etc. ever since.

Lately, I've managed to plink away at Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Silent Hill 4, a little here and there.  That's rather frustrating because it's always two steps back and one forward, since I can't remember what I was doing or where I was (story of my life, lol)... but I'm still enjoying them.

I agree with the "retro" suggestions... maybe you could try to go as far back as you can in your collection - like a NES game or a PS1, whatever.  Sometimes the old games can give you a re-start.  Or, get a puppy and take a long break from gaming!

I've also begun playing games on easier levels when I'm too busy to play regularly - it can help keep you going in a game when you otherwise would get bogged down.  Also try thinking about the games you were most enthralled by - and find some more, or wait for another.  If I were bored with everything right now, I might try waiting for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, bcz Morrowind was so hugely enjoyable and addicting for me.

Good luck! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 08:06:22 PM »

I will post up my entire xbox game collection and maybe something might catch your eye. My advice is to stop focusing on the newer xbox games and pick a few budget ones.

The longest i went without playing my games is when 9/11 hit, i didnt play anything for 3 weeks, my mind was so focus on that bs, i really didnt do anything but watch the news,   frown

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 04:25:11 AM »

Tao Feng: Which is the greatest fighter game i ever played.
NFL 2K3(Best football game on the planet)
NFL 2K5( Best football game on the planet)
Road Kill
Minority Report
Mad Dash
NFL FEVER 2004( which is the second best football game on the planet)
Buffy the vampire Slayer
SX Superstar
Apex Racing
World Racing
Mustang Racing
Grand Theft Auto III

Freestyle Soccer
Freestyle Metal which i just bought from block buster tonight
Night Caster
Batman Dark Tomorrow which is great, bad fighting system, but overall pretty good.

Burn out 2
Burn out 3
Outrun
Brute Force

Chase: Hollywood Stunt Driver
Dark Summit
The Matrix which is the best action game i ever played thus far
NBA 2K3

Gunvalkyrie
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Quantum Redshift
Rogue Ops

Spawn: Armageddon
Spy hunter 1
Spy hunter 2
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Toxic Grind

Might have a few more, i just did a quick copy and paste from another forum, and my xbox games is not near me right now, the lastest game i bought tho was Outlaw Golf 9th hole , snow edition or whatever its call and i bought Ford Racing 3 at blockbuster for 12.99.

That list might be budget in a way, but you should go out and pick up a few, you never know you might enjoy a few.

You think it's funny?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 05:18:33 AM »

So am I the only one that thinks that - outside of a couple titles - General's list reads like a 'do not buy' list for the system.

Minority Report?  Night Caster?  Spawn Armageddon?  Batman Dark Tomorrow?  NFL Fever?  You couldn't pay me to play those games.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 05:53:06 AM »

Heh.  Kinda sounds like when you go to sell back games you'll never play again and you just see that one that will get you like $2 and you think "It's not even worth carrying" - so it stays in the collection.  smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 11:21:59 AM »

I guess you haven't played any games from the Virtua Fighter series nor Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 if you think Tao Feng is the best fighter ever.  Well, scratch that, have you played *any* other fighting games?  I could name countless fighting games better than that!

And wow, if you think The Matrix is the best action game you have ever played, find a way to play God of War (ps2).  You'll be blown away (because the Matrix doesn't set the bar very high up...really at all).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 11:35:33 AM »

NFL Fever is a blast if you let it not be Madden or ESPN.  Read & Lead Passing was a prety cool addition.  

Tao Feng is a great fighter.  

Bloodwake is good arcade boat/shooting stuff.

I agree that cheap games, even if you only play them for a week or two, let you have some fun without worrying about price.

But personally, if you aren't into the gaming for however long, I'd keep reading the books. It's healthy to mix it up.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 04:13:10 PM »

Is blood wake easy or hard?

And nobody seem to mention buffy the vampire slayer?

The game is actually pretty fun, i love the ground move you learn later on in the game, you have to hold the R button and tap downx2 and hit the X button, i think.

" I feel like a new slayer "

:lol:

You think it's funny?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 05:55:55 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Laner"

*sniff*

So my 2600 wasn't good enough for you?

Tongue

Actually, I have it hooked up to the TV in my bedroom smile
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »

In Blood Wake you can set the difficulty -- a couple of the cooler boats you have to unlock on "Captain" (Medium) level, but I've played the game through twice and totally dig it -- sort of mindless boat/guns stuff.  I bought it when the Xbox was released and have hung onto it since then -- it's a lot of fun for the genre.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2005, 07:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "Driver"
In Blood Wake you can set the difficulty -- a couple of the cooler boats you have to unlock on "Captain" (Medium) level, but I've played the game through twice and totally dig it -- sort of mindless boat/guns stuff.  I bought it when the Xbox was released and have hung onto it since then -- it's a lot of fun for the genre.

Alrght cool, i will pick it up next time i go out. Its 6.99 at gamestop.  biggrin

You think it's funny?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 07:28:46 PM »

Kinda hard to go wrong with 6.99.  Well...unless it was Kabuki Warriors....then its wrong at any price.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 07:40:49 PM »

DD, I really truly understand the gaming slump thing. Listen, unless you are ready to just move on, you will find yourself coming back. You need to find the magic. To find the magic, you need to either replay your favorite game ever and get back into the swing of things or try a new game or old game that captures the imagination. Once that starts, you will find yourself back into it. Sometimes it takes a few weeks man, don't give up.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2005, 07:53:32 PM »

My favorite single-player game EVER was Descent I and II.  Great games!

My favorite multiplayer game EVER was Unreal Tournament.  Here's my dilemma though, and I'm going to get shouted down for this, online gaming has been *ruined* by cheating and the abundance of people with horrible attitudes. Ruined.  I don't ever see myself ever going back online for any reason.  Ever.  Ever.

Quote from: "Rage"
DD, I really truly understand the gaming slump thing. Listen, unless you are ready to just move on, you will find yourself coming back. You need to find the magic. To find the magic, you need to either replay your favorite game ever and get back into the swing of things or try a new game or old game that captures the imagination. Once that starts, you will find yourself back into it. Sometimes it takes a few weeks man, don't give up.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 03:18:35 PM »

5 weeks without playing anything...

Rookie: http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6669

slywink
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
My complete sealed set of the .hack games and my NI trilogy (Disgaea and Phantom Brave) with guides will bring a good amount of cash, and really, I just don't have time to do them justice.  It's still a little sad to see them go, though.

Oooh don't do that.  Sell me your copy of Disgaea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: