http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 11:25:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand  (Read 560 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

I saw a preview for this on X-Play a little while back and was really surprised at how fun it looked. It's a cover based shooter with over-the-top action and co-op. It's getting decent reviews. I don't care for his music, and I heard his first game was atrocious, but I have to admit I'm curious.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »

Well, I took the plunge.  It is a lot of damn fun.  I've gone through three missions already (each with 2 or 3 levels), and there's a great flow to it.  It's got that Club feel, but with more linearity to it (in a good way), in the sense that you keep progressing forward through the level/story.  Frankly, my only complaint is that I wish the story were more over-the-top.  Sure you've got a rapper wreaking havoc on "Middle Eastern" gansters as he pursues that bitch who took his diamond encrusted skull, but Fiddy is so damn serious about it.  Actually, that wouldn't be a problem, since the best comedy plays it straight.  This story isn't a comedy at all, though.  It still works, I just think it would have been better if they'd gone even further.

But shooting constant streams of enemies, trying to ramp up your multiplier and score, hunting down posters (so far I've been 5/5 on each level) and targets (I have never found more than 3 on a level, inexplicably), smashing open boxes for loot to buy better guns (and melee moves, although I haven't used melee since they taught me how to do it early in the first level) never gets old, it seems.

And there's co-op.

Oh, and while it's not my thing, the music hasn't really bothered me.  I just saw a loading screen note, though, that says that there's a way to have an instrumental soundtrack instead, if that's your thing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:59:14 PM »

I posted about it but hadn't gotten around to any impressions yet.

Played for about an hour last night and quite enjoyed it. It's very over the top with the dialog and action. The graphics are pretty nice too, much better than what I was expecting. At times there's almost too much happening on the screen though, especially with the HUD, but it's pretty straight forward as to what you're supposed to do next. I only played The Club demo and it does remind me of what I saw there. It's fun and you can't help but laugh at it. It's not worth $60 (I got it with some trade-ins) but certainly worth picking up when it drops in price.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »

Quote from: Simon on February 26, 2009, 04:59:14 PM

I posted about it but hadn't gotten around to any impressions yet.

Ah, I went with the earlier post.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

They had a review on X-play last night or the night before and it was very funny to see Sessler begrudgingly admit that this was actually a good game. They gave it 4 stars. I've set it up in Goozex and figure I'll get it reasonably soon (there is no competitive MP, right? That will make it trade fast.)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: