http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:04:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 ways to tell you're getting too old for gaming  (Read 1049 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:37 PM »

Cracked put up a fantastic article about how you know you're getting too old for video games.  Hits incredibly close to home for me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »

Some truth to that I suppose, although my dad still plays online MP with a clan in his late 60's, along with other games.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »

Wait, his kids can't even be in the room with zombie survival horror, and yet they chainsaw locusts down in Gears?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:18:12 AM »

So much truth in that.  Though I can still find the fun, and I do still like finding the indie bands of gaming.

As long as I don't have to get up from my rocker.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:43:59 PM »

I would add that you are too old when you spend more time surfing the internet to read and post about games than actually playing them.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »

Quote from: KC on September 17, 2011, 02:43:59 PM

I would add that you are too old when you spend more time surfing the internet to read and post about games than actually playing them.

If that was true, a significant portion of WoW player are too old to play (even if they are still in their teens).

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 05:04:57 AM »

Quote from: KC on September 17, 2011, 02:43:59 PM

crybaby That hurts.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

I'm actually surprised how well written it actually is. Working a second shift makes lots of those problems go away for me, for better or worse. Not much else to do between 1am and whenever the hell I decide to goto bed. I would say watching Starcraft destroys more of my time to play games than anything else. With winter fast approaching and temperatures dropping I'll have even more time.

I think the story stuff is pretty much spot on too. No game has ever had a story so compelling you just had to tell everyone about it. I thought Bioshock was fairly close, but most of that was on the whole twist of it too. Minerva's Den was also very excellent in that regard too.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »

That's not a bad piece, but I don't really agree with most of it.  I never have liked multiplayer, even when I was young.  Gaming is and always has been a solitary activity for me.  And the rest of it, well, I don't find that I feel that way.  Maybe I'm still young enough at heart (or immature), or maybe I just still manage to find enough free time.  I suspect a lot this stuff applies more to people who are older and are parents then just people who are older.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 20, 2011, 04:33:19 AM

I never have liked multiplayer, even when I was young.  Gaming is and always has been a solitary activity for me.

Same here.

Maybe I'm still young enough at heart (or immature), or maybe I just still manage to find enough free time.  I suspect a lot this stuff applies more to people who are older and are parents then just people who are older.

That's probably true.  I'm also finding that having a much more demanding career is also a significant factor in how much gaming one does.  My job has really taken off in the past 18 months, and  between that and my daughter, I have very little time for gaming anymore.  What time I do get typically comes in 30-45 minute chunks, and I have a hell of a time keeping interest in marathon 40-60 hour games any more.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 20, 2011, 12:47:25 PM

I never have liked multiplayer, even when I was young.  Gaming is and always has been a solitary activity for me.

Same here.

Maybe I'm still young enough at heart (or immature), or maybe I just still manage to find enough free time.  I suspect a lot this stuff applies more to people who are older and are parents then just people who are older.

That's probably true.  I'm also finding that having a much more demanding career is also a significant factor in how much gaming one does.  My job has really taken off in the past 18 months, and  between that and my daughter, I have very little time for gaming anymore.  What time I do get typically comes in 30-45 minute chunks, and I have a hell of a time keeping interest in marathon 40-60 hour games any more.

And you used to love you some RPGs, IIRC.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »

A lot of things I identified with in the article, but...  in the end I'm still a gamer at heart. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »

That article is horseshit. Games have gotten shorter, not longer.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 20, 2011, 05:52:58 PM

Quote from: Gratch on September 20, 2011, 12:47:25 PM

Same here.

And you used to love you some RPGs, IIRC.

Yep, I was almost exclusively an RPG guy.  Needless to say, I'm not gaming a whole lot these days.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »

Hmmm... I'm 57 (I turn 58 next week), so let me take their quiz:

#5. You Think Multiplayer is Bullshit
Well, the last two CoD games I've only played in MP, and am still playing Black Ops occasionally. I don't mind most of the folks on there, and thankfully it seems in Hardcore mode you get less twits. Most games I play SP if there is a campaign, but honestly I think it's because CoD has spoiled me.

#4. You Think Games Are Suddenly Too Long
Nope, not yet. In fact I wish that the campaigns were longer in some games, Deus Ex Human Revolution would be a good example. I guess it helps that I have an understanding wife, no kids and I just retired  icon_biggrin

#3. You Miss Game Storylines That Were Actually Compelling
I guess I never have played that many games in the past with truly compelling story lines. Anyway, I don't need much of a reason to go out shooting things/people/zombies  slywink.

#2. You Think Originality is Dead
Not dead, but it is coughing up blood.

#1. You Miss When Games Used to be "All About Fun"
Wow, so not true. I'm having as much fun with games now as I did twenty some years ago. And that's for computer games.  I was having fun with board games (sigh) back when Eisenhower was president.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 02:51:03 AM »

That article pretty much nailed me perfectly.  I'm 30, single, no kids, and a not-terribly-time-consuming job, yet I find myself almost completely uninterested in games anymore, and the reasons in the article are some of the reasons why.  I know there are others, but yeah, when I have free time, if I do play a game, it's usually only about an hour or so before I lose interest and go do something else.  If I even bother booting the game in the first place.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »

I'm more into games than I ever have been, but my time constraints with the site has changed what I can play.  I still find time to pry in titles like Skyrim though...  Good games are worth the investment.  Well, that and I play Rock Band 3 every Sunday.  Thanks Chaz!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: