http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:44:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Reasons to Own a Playstation 3 in 2011  (Read 1600 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:17:10 AM »

- Don't believe the hype, PSN is an awesome online network.  And it's free!

The PlayStation Network offers many of the features that competing services offer without the monthly price tag.  There's great support, hardly ever down time, timely security updates, and over 60 million registered users on the service so there's always someone to play with.  Whether you are taking to the virtual roads in Gran Turismo 5 or battling it out in a heated game of Call of Duty or Killzone, the PlayStation Network offers the ability to connect with others from remote locations across the world to do battle, voice chat, and buddy up.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/5-reasons-playstation-3-2011/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:34:26 AM »

Uncharted 3
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 3
Resistance 3
Killzone 3
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:57:00 AM by leo8877 » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »

That was a pretty weak list.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »

Move?!  3d gaming?!  Might as well list the logo being in the Spider-Man font as reason #6.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:55:33 AM »

Uncharted Series
Infamous 2
Killzone 3
Resistance 3

That's 4 good reasons right there. It's all about the games.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:25:22 AM »

About the only PS3 exclusive I'm really looking forward to next year is Last Guardian.  The Uncharted series has never really blown me away, and all the rest of the exclusives that I know about so far are kind of meh.  Though there is that PSN title from the Flower guys about wandering in the desert that could be interesting, so I guess there's two titles.

To be fair, it's not like there are a ton of 360 exclusive titles I'm looking forward to either.  I just prefer the 360 controller a lot, so that's where my multplatform games get bought, and most games are multiplatform these days.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 08, 2011, 02:34:26 AM

Resistance 2

finally getting the greatest hits, eh?

Tongue

personally the only exclusive I can think of off hand is iNfaMOuS 2.

oh, and having the word 'fanboy' in the site's title pretty much negates anything they say, no matter what console it is for  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »

yeah, i am looking forward to infamous 2 and uncharted.  resistance not so much and killzone for a rental.

but where's the love for lbp2?  other than the short bullet list of exclusives he wrote, of course.

and he lists "wireless controller" as a plus, like the others are still stuck using nothing but wired ones.   Roll Eyes

it was a pretty shoddily written article ad.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 04:54:10 AM »

I'm still on the fence but primarily because I simply must play God of War 3. That being said... the Move? Are you kidding? I've only briefly seen the Kinect in action but no controller > Wii-mote rip-off controller. Just saying.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 05:48:16 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 08, 2011, 02:17:10 AM

- Don't believe the hype, PSN is an awesome online network.  And it's free!

The PlayStation Network offers many of the features that competing services offer without the monthly price tag.  There's great support, hardly ever down time, timely security updates, and over 60 million registered users on the service so there's always someone to play with.  Whether you are taking to the virtual roads in Gran Turismo 5 or battling it out in a heated game of Call of Duty or Killzone, the PlayStation Network offers the ability to connect with others from remote locations across the world to do battle, voice chat, and buddy up.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/5-reasons-playstation-3-2011/

And, for many of us, downloading at 1/100th the speed of XBL.

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 08, 2011, 04:54:10 AM

I'm still on the fence but primarily because I simply must play God of War 3. That being said... the Move? Are you kidding? I've only briefly seen the Kinect in action but no controller > Wii-mote rip-off controller. Just saying.

I actually prefer the Move to both the Wii and the Kinect.  It feels like I'm actually controlling something, I can play on the couch, and it handles it more precisely than both of the other options (plus with HD graphics).  Unfortunately, all the money's going to Kinect, so the Move is pretty much going to die out, I think.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:51:16 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 05:56:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 08, 2011, 04:18:16 AM

Resistance 2

finally getting the greatest hits, eh?

Tongue

personally the only exclusive I can think of off hand is iNfaMOuS 2.

oh, and having the word 'fanboy' in the site's title pretty much negates anything they say, no matter what console it is for  icon_twisted

D'oh I meant 3!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 05:56:58 AM »

one of my biggest problems with the PS3 is the ridiculously slow downloads for pretty much anything, whether it be a PSN purchase or system update.  in contrast to Xbox Live, downloads for the PS3 seem to take forever...then you have to wait even longer for them to install.  it makes no sense to me how Microsoft handles downloads so well, yet Sony's system seems so broken.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »

You're kinda correct, the system is a bit broken. The difference actually isn't the download speeds, the difference is that the way the PS3 handles updates, you often times have to download the whole new executable, or large chunks of whatever you're updating.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »

I'll take the PS3's installation times and instant access to your games list over the 360's quick patches and "Go read a few books" while you wait for your games list to come up.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 08, 2011, 12:03:46 PM

I'll take the PS3's installation times and instant access to your games list over the 360's quick patches and "Go read a few books" while you wait for your games list to come up.

This is pretty ironic, seeing what your avatar is.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

The game list thing is awful, but it's nowhere near as bad as the download speeds on my PS3.  And it's not the updates.  It's the download speed.

If I want a 1GB demo on XBL, I can get it in a few minutes.  That same demo from PSN will actually take several hours.  And since my PS3 has been having overheating issues, that translates into several days.

That's a much bigger issue than the minute or so (that seems like days) I have to wait for my game list.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2011, 03:49:18 PM

The game list thing is awful, but it's nowhere near as bad as the download speeds on my PS3.  And it's not the updates.  It's the download speed.

If I want a 1GB demo on XBL, I can get it in a few minutes.  That same demo from PSN will actually take several hours.  And since my PS3 has been having overheating issues, that translates into several days.

That's a much bigger issue than the minute or so (that seems like days) I have to wait for my game list.

shouldn't you take your ps3 to service if it has overheating issues that causes it to take so long to download things?

I own a 60GB ps3 and love it - it's the best dvd player I ever had, and it plays my bluerays as well, and I have some awesome games for it, even some of those that are exclusives (like Demon's soul and the like) - thats more than enough for me to love having it in 2011 as well.

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 08, 2011, 03:54:28 PM

shouldn't you take your ps3 to service if it has overheating issues that causes it to take so long to download things?

I own a 60GB ps3 and love it - it's the best dvd player I ever had, and it plays my bluerays as well, and I have some awesome games for it, even some of those that are exclusives (like Demon's soul and the like) - thats more than enough for me to love having it in 2011 as well.

It's not the overheating issue that causes the slow downloads.  They are two separate issues.  The slow downloads have been since day one.  I have tried jumping through numerous hoops to figure out what it is, but it's clearly just the way it works.

I have taken it in for service numerous times.  They finally figured out it was a fan issue, but I'm still nervous to let it run too long.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2011, 04:41:56 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 08, 2011, 03:54:28 PM

It's not the overheating issue that causes the slow downloads.  They are two separate issues.  The slow downloads have been since day one.  I have tried jumping through numerous hoops to figure out what it is, but it's clearly just the way it works.

I have taken it in for service numerous times.  They finally figured out it was a fan issue, but I'm still nervous to let it run too long.

yeah, I've had slow downloads too compared to my PC, 360 or even the Wii.  I really wish they'd let you download in the background while watching movies or playing games that aren't multiplayer

Because I can,
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »

Excited for
Uncharted 3
Infamous 2

Will get eventually when it's under $20.00
Killzone 3
Resistance 3
LBP 2

and I watch DVD and Blueray movie.

Unless it's exclusive to PS3, I usually download demos on XBOX360 since it's much faster.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

I love my PS3, but there's no denying that the download speeds are awful on the PSN.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »

The Show

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

I haven't taken the plunge with a PS3 yet, but I can say for sure that reason 4 -The Move- is absolutely no compelling reason. As to reason 5 -Everything else- are you kidding me; what kind of reason is that? I also don't believe for a second PSN is superior or equal to XBL - free is nice, but XBL is still quite cheap when you put it up against other subscription entertainment like MMO's or Netflix. Reason 2 -exclusives- is the biggie IMO and I'd say the PS3 rivals or bests either of the other 2 consoles. If I get one this year, exclusive games will be the only reason.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »

Everything else is kinda a lazy thing to include into 5 reasons to own a PS3, isnt it?! :-D

As for download speed, it certainly is slow at times, but not always - perhaps its just a lousy network it works off with low bandwidth? I 've no idea who hosts the files we download, actually, but if you go see videos and the like through the browser, its quite fast. Weird.

A new one
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 08, 2011, 06:27:13 PM

I haven't taken the plunge with a PS3 yet, but I can say for sure that reason 4 -The Move- is absolutely no compelling reason. As to reason 5 -Everything else- are you kidding me; what kind of reason is that? I also don't believe for a second PSN is superior or equal to XBL - free is nice, but XBL is still quite cheap when you put it up against other subscription entertainment like MMO's or Netflix. Reason 2 -exclusives- is the biggie IMO and I'd say the PS3 rivals or bests either of the other 2 consoles. If I get one this year, exclusive games will be the only reason.

I don't think that's a very fair comparison. You still need to pay for your netflix subscription on top of your xbox live subscription just to use it on the Xbox.. it's free on the PS3, Wii, and PC. And if an MMO comes to Xbox, you can bet there's going to be an additional monthly subscription fee on top of your monthly Live fee as well.

You can buy Black Ops on the Xbox for $50, or the PS3 for $50. The difference is, one version you have to pay to play, while the other is free. 

Where's Hetz when you need some good PS3 defense?  ninja

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 08, 2011, 12:03:46 PM

?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »

Uncharted 3

Quote from: biggercup on January 08, 2011, 05:05:58 PM

Infamous 2
LBP 2

Quote from: Devil on January 08, 2011, 05:31:14 PM

The Show

Winnarz.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 08, 2011, 06:59:25 PM

I don't think that's a very fair comparison. You still need to pay for your netflix subscription on top of your xbox live subscription just to use it on the Xbox.. it's free on the PS3, Wii, and PC. And if an MMO comes to Xbox, you can bet there's going to be an additional monthly subscription fee on top of your monthly Live fee as well.

I was just referring to just the cost of the service - Netflix costs me $8/month, most MMO's $10-$15/month while XBL costs me about $5/month. Netflix admittedly looks best on my 360, but I've also run it on my PC and Wii. Therefore it wouldn't be correct for me to add the cost of XBL when costing my Netflix subscription.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »

Where's Hetz when you need some good PS3 defense?  ninja

Post it on OO; I'm sure you'll get a response from the president of the SDF.   ninja

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »

The way your statement is worded it implies that you only have to pay for Netflix on the 360.  I'm sure that's not what you were saying, but I also can't imagine people are paying for an XBL membership just to use Netflix.

You can buy Black Ops on the Xbox for $50, or the PS3 for $50. The difference is, one version you have to pay to play, while the other is free.

But you'll have more people to play with on XBL.  Not a factor if you play with the same group of friends every time, otherwise definitely a factor.

Quote from: Razgon on January 08, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

Everything else is kinda a lazy thing to include into 5 reasons to own a PS3, isnt it?! :-D

As for download speed, it certainly is slow at times, but not always - perhaps its just a lousy network it works off with low bandwidth? I 've no idea who hosts the files we download, actually, but if you go see videos and the like through the browser, its quite fast. Weird.

It's true the browser seems to be fine.  And in the early morning the D/L speed picks up, but it's still excruciating compared to the 360 or even the Wii.  It is odd that it's only files.

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 08, 2011, 10:21:58 PM

It's true the browser seems to be fine.  And in the early morning the D/L speed picks up, but it's still excruciating compared to the 360 or even the Wii.  It is odd that it's only files.
PSN is slow.  I have my PC and PS3 wired into the same switch and it's amazing how much faster steam can download files . . .
Makes me wonder if they have priority set somehow for online game data being passed/streaming and the file downloads throttled?
Anyway, I deal with it by kicking off any big DL when I go to bed.

Edit: I would add Socom and the ICO collection to the kick ass Sony exclusive list too. 

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »

Black Ops on the PS3 has a pretty good sized community.. usually 700k and up whenever I'm on. Plus I have a couple of guys from work who I usually play with and if not, at any time of the day you'll find any type of game (including zombies) to play in no time at all.

Point I was making was, you can use netflix for free on your PS3 (and PC, Wii) but to use it on Live, you have to pay a subscription fee to Microsoft. Not that the 360 is a bad system, it has some good exclusives like Gears of War 2, but it's hard to justify 'pay to play' when the other guys are offering the same thing for free. My argument would still be the same whether it's the current $9.99 a month for Live, or only $1.99 a month.. you're still paying for something that everyone else gets for free.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »

PSN Network!? Why had no one thought of this stuff before??

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

I guess I can look forward to uncharted 3....

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »

I had a xbox. then a xbox 360..  it died in the early spring of 2010.   (I didnt have xbox live on it, seemed like a waste of money)

I went out and bought a ps3 for a change of pace.

So far:

God of war 1, 2 and 3..   I played all 3 all the way through this year.  Those would be my first 3 reasons to buy one.  slywink

Little big planet, and soon to be little big planet 2..   I am not much for platforms, but I had allot of fun on this one, and the kids burned it up.

My sack boy has the Kratos theme, and my sons looks like the guy from infamous.    (Oh yea, infamous was fun as hell too, finished it last year.)

Uncharted one and two, played those both this year.  I am ready for 3 to come out this year.

Coming down the pike, killzone 3. 

I have never played a killzone game, and I am looking forward to this, expecially since black ops and that dead space 2 demo got my trigger finger itching.

I have not regretted getting the Ps3, and, frankly, I have been very, very tempted to buy another one for the other room. (So me and the kids can play some good co op.)

I have not missed the xbox 360 at all.  IF the PS3 dies today, I will have another one by tommorow afternoon.

I am not sure which is the better console.   I liked the xbox360 too.

But, PS3 has some damn good games imo.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »

I'm glad I snatched a PS3 back in Thanksgiving.. and I'm sure hoping to spend lots of quality time with it this year.  nod
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 10, 2011, 04:12:28 PM

I'm glad I snatched a PS3 back in Thanksgiving.. and I'm sure hoping to spend lots of quality time with it this year.  nod

You ever tried the old game Twisted Metal ?    If that new one gets good reviews, maybe we can demolishing derby it up next christmas break.  Sound fun if the multiplayer is there.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »

In fact, if it is good..   I am going to taunt CK on the forums, calling him a noob and such until he buys the game and comes out and fights my sweet tooth LOL
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 10, 2011, 04:36:57 PM

In fact, if it is good..   I am going to taunt CK on the forums, calling him a noob and such until he buys the game and comes out and fights my sweet tooth LOL

LOL, I never cared for Twisted Metal so you're going to have to do a lot of taunting.  Maybe even some baiting.  You may have to become a Master Baiter.

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 10, 2011, 04:41:04 PM

You may have to become a Masturbator.

WTF?!?   reported!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: