http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 06:39:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.1 Speaker Setup?  (Read 1009 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2005, 06:10:53 PM »

Hey all, I just recently purchased the Logitech X-530 5.1 speaker set.  I am also using an Audigy 2 ZS.  I got everything setup and have been testing out games and other audio sources.

I have noticed in games that the center channel is really loaded.  I came from a 4.1 speaker setup, so I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's not what I was hoping for.  I was hoping for an even disribution between center and the two fronts, but it seems that is not the case.  Does anyone else with this setup notice that?

When I listen to an MP3, the center is not used and the fronts and rears are.  That's ok with me for music.  DVDs seems to use all the channels, so I'm ok with that.  It's just games that are killing me.

How do all of you with 5.1 speaker systems set them up?

Do you have a special calibration tool?

Also, what do all of you set for sub volume with that knob on the sub itself?  I never know what to put this at and what to set the audigy setting for bass to.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:51:13 AM »

I've been using the Logitech Z-680s for awhile now and use an Audigy 2.

I've found that the sound quality of 5.1 in a game seems to depend on the game itself.   For example, in Doom 3 the sound was pretty decent using 5.1.  The sounds were at the correct volume and coming from the right direction.   However, in Half Life 2 I can't seem to get decent 5.1 sound.  If someone/something is behind me, I don't get hardly any sound from the surrounds and have to turn and face that direction to hear what's going on.  For other games, if surround sounds crappy, I'll usually just set the sound back to stereo or try to switch it to a 4.1 setting.

I can control the subwoofer volume from the soundcard controls and usually just leave it in the middle.  I've found with my sub, if I move the bass level up more than 55%, it gets to be too much bass.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »

use the THX control panel with the Audigy 2 ZS to set up volumes based on position for each satellite.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 02:31:40 PM »

Where is the THX control panel?  I have the same 5.1 setup and the the same sound card.  But, I can't find the THX anywhere.  I must be overlooking it?

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: