http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 woes...  (Read 1626 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »

Well since my second 360 gave up the ghost on sunday, I called xbox support and they said they'd send a box out to me.  No problems.  I expected it would be like the first time I had problems: next day get box, send box back, get replacement in 3 days or so.

Unfortunately MS has changed their policy now.  They use standard shipping, which means I won't get the box until thursday or friday.  They said to expect about 10 days from the time I send the box back before I get the 360 back.

So.  Here I am.  No 360 for the next 2 1/2 weeks.  <sigh>  If I'd realized how long it was going to take I would have gladly paid the 15-16 bucks to send it faster.

I'm glad they're fixing it for free.  Since it shouldn't have broken inside 2 months in the first place, I'm a little bitter about the time lapse.  

I'd guess that the priority shipping was costing them too much, especially now that the 'shortage' is finally over.

Ah well.  Nothing I can do about it for the moment.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:56:24 PM »

Awww, pooey!

frown

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:34:05 PM »

substitute 'public relations campaign' for 'shortage', & you've got it about right...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 01:29:50 AM »

Jarrod, how does this work? Do you have to have a special warranty on it or you can send it back regarldess?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:20:25 AM »

I have a solution - buy another 360.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 02:46:37 AM »

Depward: the thought crossed my mind.  Then I looked at my bank balance  smile

Calvin: It's under the 90 day warrantee that they give you.  Otherwise I expect it would be costing me money to have it fixed.

I'm really really tempted to pick up the extended warrantee this time... except that so far I haven't made it past the 90 day mark.   Cool

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 03:33:28 AM »

90 days? Shit, I will look at the receipt, but I think I am totally shit out of luck, and my DVD drive is failing more and more every day.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 03:56:32 AM »

Makes me glad I bought the 'extended warrenty' via my local Gamestop. Now that stores actually have the blasted things in, I can swap my console if I have any further issues.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 05:34:40 AM »

yeah, I would have gotten the extended warrantee at gamestop... except that I would be lucky to have gotten my 360 by now if I'd waited.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 01:57:28 AM »

My one concern about the extended warrenty (which I have) is with the hard drive.  If the 360 dies I doubt they will let me keep the hard drive.  Is everything I've paid for and downloaded tied to my profile or the hardware?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Cable
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 02:05:33 AM »

I think it is tied to your profile. You have to be signed in to buy anything from the market place, they must keep records on what you have purchased.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:13:57 AM »

Quote from: "Cable"
I think it is tied to your profile. You have to be signed in to buy anything from the market place, they must keep records on what you have purchased.

Thanks, Cable, and welcome to the forum!

I figured this would be the case, but some of the language on their website had planted a seed of doubt for some reason.  Can't recall what I read, but I thought it had something to do with being tied to the hardware.  Might have been something to do with playing a Live Arcade game on another 360.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 01:10:09 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
90 days? Shit, I will look at the receipt, but I think I am totally shit out of luck, and my DVD drive is failing more and more every day.

No, you can buy extended warranty at any time... it takes 30 days for coverage to kick in. I'd do it now, man.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I figured this would be the case, but some of the language on their website had planted a seed of doubt for some reason.  Can't recall what I read, but I thought it had something to do with being tied to the hardware.  Might have been something to do with playing a Live Arcade game on another 360.
As long as the new 360 is registered to your account and the old 360 isn't , you should be fine.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:40:05 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "stiffler"
As long as the new 360 is registered to your account and the old 360 isn't , you should be fine.

That's exactly it.

When my 360 died, my Live account had records of everything I bought, and I could freely 'purchase' them again the second time around.

It's all about the Live account.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

That's good to know.  So far I haven't had problems with my harddrive <crosses fingers> but I would hate to lose any purchased items.

Got my box this morning (finally, go UPS ground) so I'll be packing the 360 up and sending it off here shortly.  Hopefully it won't actually take 10 days to get it (or its replacement) back.  I'm really missing being able to play online with you guys.

At least I can watch the friends list from Starwars Battlefront II.  If anyone is particularly inclined we could play that <G>

Edit: <sigh> I have so many games to play other than the 360 ones, but of course the ones I really want to play right now are all 360 games.  This is likely to be the longest 10 days of my recent life.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »

My 360 died too. 3 red lights = hardware failure. It's out of warranty and I never got around to buying the MS Extended Warranty. I'm afraid to find out what it might cost to get it fixed.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 06:22:55 PM »

I've only had my 360 for a couple of months, and haven't had nary a problem, but reading of all these other problems you all are having is worrying me.   Oh, is the 360 supposed to be so loud?  It's easily 5 times louder than my computer, and it drives me nuts.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 06:30:25 PM »

I've had my 360 since November (Won mines) and I haven't had any issues yet.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 06:44:33 PM »

Well, after reading this thread I think I'll be getting the extended warranty as well.  I'm also having a lot of DVD errors, the occasional lockup/overheat, and the fan on my 360 is so damn noisy I can't take it anymore....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 10:21:41 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
I've had my 360 since November (Won mines) and I haven't had any issues yet.

mine is an every 10 minutes prize as well... I just started having the problem last week.. I guess not having problems in the beginning is no indicator of long term haqppiness. frown

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
Oh, is the 360 supposed to be so loud?  It's easily 5 times louder than my computer, and it drives me nuts.

From my understanding, yes. My 360 is outrageously loud, and it keeps me from playing it as often as I want to. That whine is annoying at the very least.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Well, after reading this thread I think I'll be getting the extended warranty as well.  I'm also having a lot of DVD errors, the occasional lockup/overheat, and the fan on my 360 is so damn noisy I can't take it anymore....

when i play a DVD on it,it has trouble handling things that are fast on the screen...even the menus...they flicker a lot,and same with opening and end credits....but i just watch dvds on the other players i have,usually xbox 1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 03:04:28 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Oh, is the 360 supposed to be so loud?  It's easily 5 times louder than my computer, and it drives me nuts.

From my understanding, yes. My 360 is outrageously loud, and it keeps me from playing it as often as I want to. That whine is annoying at the very least.

What kind of noise are you talking about? High pitch? Low? Rattle? Lawn Mower?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 08:24:19 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Quote from: "Destructor"

What kind of noise are you talking about? High pitch? Low? Rattle? Lawn Mower?

Go sit yourself right next to your PC while it's on. You hear the constant whine of your PC fans? Imagine that noise, but it's that loud from 10-15 feet away thanks to the 'power' of the Xbox 360.

Now, I just got myself a new case for my PC, and it dampens the noise that used to come out of my old case like crazy. My PC from 3 feet away is far, far quieter than my 360 is at 10 (distances are based on where I usually sit for comparison). And I don't dare put it into the TV cabinet my first 360 used to be in (yes, my first one broke), thanks to the insane heat the console and the power supply puts out.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 09:09:40 PM »

Regarding extended warranties, if you purchased it using most credit cards and / or debit cards, check your card policy.  Most of them have automatic extended warranties on any purchases made using the card.  When the Best Buy guy tells me I should buy his crappy plan for x hundreds of dollars to get a 2 year warranty, I just flash the credit card and tell him I already get that for free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: