http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 vs PS3 2008 console war-the *other* front  (Read 4632 times)
raydude
Gaming Trend Senior Member

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 20, 2008, 02:53:55 PM

It can get even worse.  I got my PS3 when it was 20% off at K-Mart last December.  That would've put the PS3 price point at $170 or $120 for people if they could magically get their $150/$200 back from their HD DVD purchase.

This is true. Unfortunately the "magic" argument doesn't help when it comes to paying bills. smile

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:15 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 20, 2008, 09:12:13 AM

That's great for you that you had games to play, and people have games to play on the PS3 right now too, just different preferences.  But your original comment was about the library size, so that's been addressed.

yes, for library size I'm fairly certain the 360's section was much bigger at this equivalent point in it's life.  According to Moby Games for the first full year of each console (plus their first couple of months tossed in- includes downloadable games which I'm betting is about the same amount for either system):

360 in 2005:  27 games
360 in 2006:  121 games (you can take off about 10 as dupes)

PS3 in 2006:  18 games
PS3 in 2007:  97 games (you can take off about 6 as dupes)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 03:13:48 AM »

80% of what the 360 had at that time in its lifespan? That's not too bad.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2008, 05:35:22 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 18, 2008, 06:58:04 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 18, 2008, 01:38:13 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll go Sony>MS, just to be the voice of dissent. With the Blu-Ray win, the rollout of Home, LittleBigPlanet, and games such as Resistance 2, FF13, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, and Infamous, Sony has serious ammunition in its 2008 arsenal.

MS has Halo Wars (which I doubt will have nearly the same draw as Halo), Too Human, and possibly a Gears of War 2?

There's a lot more than that, lets not forget the likes of Fable 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2. Also, I feel like people are making a bigger fuss about Sony's 2008 stable of exclusives than it really deserves. Realistically, FF13, MGS4, and GT5 are the only games that we know for sure will make a splash and FF13 might not even come out this year. You can argue all you want about Resistance 2 and Kill Zone 2, but neither of their predecessors made big impressions.

As much as I'm rooting for the PS3 this year (I've bought every multiplatform release on my PS3 since I got the thing), I'm still leaning towards what the 360 has to offer exclusively and I think that is the general consensus so far honestly.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 06:21:54 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 05:35:22 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll go Sony>MS, just to be the voice of dissent. With the Blu-Ray win, the rollout of Home, LittleBigPlanet, and games such as Resistance 2, FF13, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, and Infamous, Sony has serious ammunition in its 2008 arsenal.

MS has Halo Wars (which I doubt will have nearly the same draw as Halo), Too Human, and possibly a Gears of War 2?

There's a lot more than that, lets not forget the likes of Fable 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2. Also, I feel like people are making a bigger fuss about Sony's 2008 stable of exclusives than it really deserves. Realistically, FF13, MGS4, and GT5 are the only games that we know for sure will make a splash and FF13 might not even come out this year. You can argue all you want about Resistance 2 and Kill Zone 2, but neither of their predecessors made big impressions.

As much as I'm rooting for the PS3 this year (I've bought every multiplatform release on my PS3 since I got the thing), I'm still leaning towards what the 360 has to offer exclusively and I think that is the general consensus so far honestly.

FWIW, Ninja Gaiden wasn't exactly a sales giant- It has a very hardcore and devoted fanbase but it wasn't a blockbuster hit. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:08 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 21, 2008, 03:13:48 AM

Yeah that's a fucklot closer than people make it out to be.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 06:21:54 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

FWIW, Ninja Gaiden wasn't exactly a sales giant- It has a very hardcore and devoted fanbase but it wasn't a blockbuster hit. 

Also, Fable sold quite a bit but it was fairly poorly reviewed.  I thought even as it was it was extremely overrated and boring.

Gears is gonna be big (even if I dont give a crap about it), but knocking Resistance 2 and Kill Zone 2 while trumping Fable 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 is kinda funny.

gellar
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 21, 2008, 06:26:23 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

Also, Fable sold quite a bit but it was fairly poorly reviewed.  I thought even as it was it was extremely overrated and boring.

Gears is gonna be big (even if I dont give a crap about it), but knocking Resistance 2 and Kill Zone 2 while trumping Fable 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 is kinda funny.

gellar

I'll be very curious to see how Fable 2 fares. The first game had a huge first month but once word of mouth kicked in, it dropped 80%+ it's second month.  Though it seemed to garner it's fair share of moderate praise once people approached it later with suitably lowered expectations.  If Lionhead actually delivers on the promise of the original game this time out then I imagine Fable 2 will do really well. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2008, 07:22:15 AM »

I think Fable 2 will be another million unit seller, but the previews have been fairly strange. Rather than focus on the combat or RPG elements, a significant focus has been put on the polygamy, pregnancy, divorce and dog companion aspects of the game. Hopefully Molyneux will remember to wrap a more cohesive game around the other idiosyncrasies contained within the game. And I could definitely do without the farting and flexing this time around.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:09 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 21, 2008, 06:26:23 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

gellar

If you find it humorous much, compare the sales numbers. Ninja Gaiden Vs. Resistance/Kill Zone or Fable Vs. Resistance/Kill Zone, then tell me again why it's funny. Also, Fable was not reviewed poorly by any means (looking at the 85% average rating at gamerankings.com).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:29:32 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 07:27:07 AM »

MS>Sony this year. 

Unless I'm mistaken, it sold upward of 5-600k worldwide. Not bad for a non-American Xbox game.

Sean Lama
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2008, 07:28:53 AM »

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll agree that Killzone 2 is a questionable title, but Resistance made quite a big impression and sold very well. For a few months it was the only game that gave the PS3 any momentum whatsoever.

I expect Killzone 2 to be a much better title than the first game, because the developer is not being rushed this time around. Killzone had a great foundation, but it came out half-baked due to time constraints. It was one of those games that was frustrating to play because you could see how good it could have been.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 07:32:08 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 21, 2008, 07:28:53 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll agree that Killzone 2 is a questionable title, but Resistance made quite a big impression and sold very well. For a few months it was the only game that gave the PS3 any momentum whatsoever.

I expect Killzone 2 to be a much better title than the first game, because the developer is not being rushed this time around. Killzone had a great foundation, but it came out half-baked due to time constraints. It was one of those games that was frustrating to play because you could see how good it could have been.

I don't know where to find sales numbers for Resistance, but from memory I recall poor sales. As far as Killzone, again all I recall are average reviews (73% at gamerankings.com) and mediocre sales considering all the marketing it received.

Sean Lama
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2008, 07:53:37 AM »

EDIT: a lot of stuff.

Care must be taken when looking any any sales numbers and making sure that they're worldwide or country specific.  Some people here scream doom and gloom upon seeing the US NPD numbers, but don't take into account worldwide sales which can paint a vastly different picture.

For example, Crysis is a million seller worldwide, but did less than 100k its first few weeks in the US.  ~100k is still a good number, but 1 million is better.

Found this info on VGChartz

Resistance sold 2.35 million worldwide.

Killzone 1 did 750,000 in the US, couldn't find the worldwide numbers

Fable 2.65 worldwide

Ninja Gaiden numbers are hard to find.  The two knock offs Black and Sigma are signs of either success, or lower sales and an attempt to milk a diehard set of fans.

These numbers are nothing to scoff at, but definitely aren't the huge disparity that you imply.  Killzone did the poorest, of course, but that's to be expected considering its problems.

Other numbers:
Motorstorm hit 3 million worldwide
Uncharted hit 1 million a few months back and is still getting steady sales.

While the PS3 currently has no runaway hits like Halo 3 and Gears, considering the sales of early titles, you can understand why some of us think that Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 could bring that kind of success.

That is, of course, if Sony would hire a decent marketing firm.  I swear, they got way too complacent with ads towards the end of the PS2 era and only know we're seeing decent ads like the latest black morphing PS3s.  And frankly, not to knock the quality of the Halo series and Gears, but those games sold as much on marketing power as good gameplay.

So yeah, be wary of the numbers you hear touted by both sides.  Right now, the PS3 is doing very poorly in the US, but it's steadily overtaking the 360 everywhere else.

The thing we're basing our opinions of the PS3 matching or exceeding the 360 this year is that much of the effort Sony's putting into the PS3 this year is on things that make the system appeal more to US gamers.  Resistance 2, Haze, Killzone 2 are 3 exclusives that definitely target the shooter/FPS hungry US market.

In following with this thought, it's interesting to note how much of the 360's game buyer base comes from the US.  Most games with high sales have the US market taking up 1/2-3/4 of its sales on the 360.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:11:52 AM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 07:25:09 AM

If you find it humorous much, compare the sales numbers. Ninja Gaiden Vs. Resistance/Kill Zone or Fable Vs. Resistance/Kill Zone, then tell me again why it's funny. Also, Fable was not reviewed poorly by any means (looking at the 85% average rating at gamerankings.com).

Both NG and NG Black have sold a combined 1.5 million. Resistance has already done over 2 million before even hitting GH.  Fable and Lost Chapters have combined sold 2 million.

Killzone doesn't compare nearly as well, but lifetime sales of Resistance will be much higher than either Ninja Gaiden or Fable even accounting for the re-releases of both games. 

EDIT- Turtle, VGChartz shouldn't be taken as a source.  While some of their numbers are relatively accurate, most of their numbers they make up. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:18:18 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 07:27:07 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, it sold upward of 5-600k worldwide. Not bad for a non-American Xbox game.

Yeah, that's about what it did before hitting the bargain bin.  Yes, it's not bad (it's good even) but it's no blockbuster.  If it was really that big of a sales success, I imagine that Tecmo would be publishing instead of MGS. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »

Fable 2 preview videos have me stoked. Sorry guys, but I think Peter is going to be bringing us a complete experience this time.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 21, 2008, 03:19:36 PM

Fable 2 preview videos have me stoked. Sorry guys, but I think Peter is going to be bringing us a complete experience this time.

Don't we think that EVERY time?  Aren't we disappointed EVERY time?

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 02:16:27 PM

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 07:25:09 AM

Both NG and NG Black have sold a combined 1.5 million. Resistance has already done over 2 million before even hitting GH.  Fable and Lost Chapters have combined sold 2 million.

Killzone doesn't compare nearly as well, but lifetime sales of Resistance will be much higher than either Ninja Gaiden or Fable even accounting for the re-releases of both games. 

What he said.  It's fairly comparable.

gellar
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »

Resistance had no competition for how long on the platform?

If RSV was available as a launch title or COD4, Resistance would have had a much smaller footprint. NG and Fable were released with tons of contemporaries to compete with (action and western rpgs were not uncommon on the xbox during their release cycles, and had a much larger library to contend with).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:48:15 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 21, 2008, 08:40:35 PM

If RSV was available as a launch title or COD4, Resistance would have had a much smaller footprint.

Sure, but that's almost always how it is.  You generally don't see titles the caliber of CoD4 (I hesitate to mention Vegas since I didn't care for it) as launch titles.  As much as I loved Resistance, I certainly expect a more out of Resistance 2 since it will be Insomniac's third title on the platform. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 08:45:33 PM

If RSV was available as a launch title or COD4, Resistance would have had a much smaller footprint.

Sure, but that's almost always how it is.  You generally don't see titles the caliber of CoD4 (I hesitate to mention Vegas since I didn't care for it) as launch titles.  As much as I loved Resistance, I certainly expect a more out of Resistance 2 since it will be Insomniac's third title on the platform. 

Be that as it may, only Killzone had the PS2 user base to attract; Resistance was released to a niche set of people in the market at the time and although the existing latch rate is high, as I stated before it wasn't necessarily because it was THAT GOOD, just that is was the best of what was available.

NG has brand recognition and popular modern releases on all 3 next-gen systems (NG is on VC, is it not?), and Fable was so overhyped that if reviews trumpet 9/10 score on Fable 2, it's going to make some serious bank. The world was not upset with what Fable WAS, it was disappointed with what it could have been.

If F2 delivers 80% of what Fable was supposed to be, we'll all be eating juicy steaks in front of our starving families.

When it comes to Killzone, let's hope they can pull the veil back to reveal the game we were all supposed to be playing with the PS3 launch trailer.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

I'd question the value of the brand recognition that NG actually has- it's pretty notorious for punishing difficulty, even after the Black re-release.  I think that could potentially scare off quite a few people.

I agree that if Fable 2 lives up to it's promise (ie is a huge improvement on it's predecessor) then it will do really, really well.  But I'd also make that exact same argument about Resistance 2....
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »

If RSV was available as a launch title or COD4, Resistance would have had a much smaller footprint. NG and Fable were released with tons of contemporaries to compete with (action and western rpgs were not uncommon on the xbox during their release cycles, and had a much larger library to contend with).

I always thought the reason Fable did so well was because it had almost no competition of it's type on the original XBox.  I know the reason I bought it was that I was so starved for an XBox RPG that I overlooked it was Captain Hypemaster himself shilling the game.

gellar
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2008, 05:18:38 AM »

Quote from: gellar on February 21, 2008, 06:24:08 AM

Quote from: Farscry on February 21, 2008, 03:13:48 AM

Yeah that's a fucklot closer than people make it out to be.

gellar

Yup, I thought the same thing; hadn't realized it wasn't really that far off.

As for the exclusives that are being tossed around and expected to release this year in North America, the only ones I see doing million + sales on the platforms are (in order on each of their platforms):

360:
Gears of War 2 - no-brainer
Fable 2 (though this one's still iffy for this year)
maaaaaybe Ninja Gaiden 2, if only because the hardcore actioners are selling better on the 360 than they did on the X-Box

PS3:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resistance 2 (the multi on this one is going to drive sales with the hardcore, and most of the PS3's customer base is currently the hardcore)
GT5 - if it releases this year, which is highly doubtful (and unless we're going to throw in XBLA and downloadable titles for the PSN, GT5 Prologue doesn't count)

FFXIII will be a full-on system seller, but won't see release in NA until 2009 at the earliest.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2008, 06:18:24 AM »

I don't see MGS4 and Resistance 2 doing a million sold myself, with more competition this time around I don't see Resistance 2 moving as many copies as the original. Resistance was seriously one of the 2-3 half decent games worth buying on the PS3 for the longest time, there was simply nothing else to play.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: