http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 12:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 vs PS3 2008 console war-the *other* front  (Read 4668 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »

It's pretty obvious that the Wii will steamroll through 2008 again just like it did last year so that leaves the remaining consoles fighting for second place.  What do you think is going to happen this year?  The PS3 was already predicted to have a great 2008 and that was before the latest news of HD-DVD's death.  Now the PS3 has beaten the 360 relatively significantly in the January NPD and (perhaps more surprisingly) almost done as well as the Wii.  Some will state that both the 360 and Wii had serious supply problems this month whereas the PS3 has oodles.  So what's going to happen from this month onward?  The typical Sony fan is probably thinking, Price drop + strong 2008 line up + Bluray victory = PS2 all over again.  Will it happen do you think?  I don't think so but I think it might be enough to propel Sony over Microsoft for the rest of this year.  I suppose it all depends on how significant the Bluray victory is for the PS3.  Do you think it will matter?  I know I never had a DVD player before I bought my PS2 and that was a fairly significant reason for buying a PS2.  I wonder if people will think the same thing this generation?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:38:13 AM »

MS>Sony this year. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »

I wonder how much the 3 red rings will play into Microsoft's sales? By now every one who isn't a total Microsoft fanboy admits the console is not reliable. So will that hurt MS?

Also, how many of the "Madden" gamers are going to stick with MS simply because they were the first to next gen? I define the Madden gamers as those who only play sports games and even then only play the best selling ones. They're not hard core gamers, but for some reason they buy Madden and Live and NCAA football every year.  I have several friends like this and most of the time they don't know what games are coming out for each system outside of the Madden release date.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:55:17 AM »

one thing to take into account is this:  now that the format war is settled I'm sure we'll be seeing companies other than Sony trying to sell Blu Ray players, and what better way for them to get sales of their product instead of the PS3 than to make cheaper BD players?  Amazon already has some on sale for 50 bucks cheaper than a PS3, and it won't be long until we see that gap widen to 100 or more (hell, at a 200 buck price point I'd consider getting a standalone player myself to save wear and tear on the PS3 if there were enough games for the PS3 that I'd be playing at the time).  If someone has no interest in console games but wants hi def they'll go for the cheapest player instead of the PS3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:01:33 AM »

I'll say this. $400 to play games = no sale, IMHO. So it plays blu-ray movies. Its still marketed as a game machine.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:04 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 18, 2008, 01:52:50 AM

I wonder how much the 3 red rings will play into Microsoft's sales? By now every one who isn't a total Microsoft fanboy admits the console is not reliable.
That has yet to be determined for the updated models.   
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:15:57 AM »

And yet, all those faulty models are still out there, and the first few upgrades didn't do much to help.

The PS3 isn't going to repeat the PS2's success simply because there's another strong competitor.  And that's a good thing.

What'll likely happen is the PS3 base evens out with the 360 and the two do a back and forth for the remainder of this generation.  Multiplatforms are already starting to even out, and both have some good lineups of exclusives for the coming years.  Those exclusive lists are only going to grow as competition fuels new development paid for by either company.

So really, all this means is that we're going to be getting a lot of new games.  2008 we'll see less exclusives, but more high profile ones as each consoles tries to differentiate itself.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:27:11 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2008, 12:43:49 AM

Now the PS3 has beaten the 360 relatively significantly in the January NPD and (perhaps more surprisingly) almost done as well as the Wii.  Some will state that both the 360 and Wii had serious supply problems this month whereas the PS3 has oodles.  So what's going to happen from this month onward? 

I don't think outselling the 360 (and the DS, btw) on their lowest selling month in months constitutes a victory. Especially given that the PS3 got absolutely clobbered in December.

I think the premature funeral trumpet for the 360 by many (especially the gaming press) is going to come back to bite a lot of people.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 03:41:24 AM »

I would like to buy a PS3 because of the blu ray victory, but if I personally wasn't in the next gen arena yet, I'd buy an xbox 360 first.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:42:53 AM »

Quote from: raydude on February 18, 2008, 02:01:33 AM

I'll say this. $400 to play games = no sale, IMHO. So it plays blu-ray movies. Its still marketed as a game machine.

But $350 to play games = sale?

I can't understand this line of thinking. Is $50 such a huge gap?  That's less than the price of a game.  That's less (or the same) as a years worth of Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2008, 03:42:53 AM

I can't understand this line of thinking. Is $50 such a huge gap?  That's less than the price of a game.  That's less (or the same) as a years worth of Live.

I'm trying to figure out where he said he'd pay $350.....

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2008, 04:11:51 AM

Well I'm going on the assumption that if he doesn't have a PS3 then he probably has a 360.  However I could be completely wrong! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 04:43:57 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2008, 04:31:35 AM

Well I'm going on the assumption that if he doesn't have a PS3 then he probably has a 360.  However I could be completely wrong! smile

of course he could have paid 480 and gotten the Elite, but I bet he jumped someone carrying a 360 out to their car and took off with it  icon_wink

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 06:58:04 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 18, 2008, 01:38:13 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll go Sony>MS, just to be the voice of dissent. With the Blu-Ray win, the rollout of Home, LittleBigPlanet, and games such as Resistance 2, FF13, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, and Infamous, Sony has serious ammunition in its 2008 arsenal.

MS has Halo Wars (which I doubt will have nearly the same draw as Halo), Too Human, and possibly a Gears of War 2?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 18, 2008, 06:58:04 AM

MS>Sony this year. 

I'll go Sony>MS, just to be the voice of dissent. With the Blu-Ray win, the rollout of Home, LittleBigPlanet, and games such as Resistance 2, FF13, Metal Gear Solid 4, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, and Infamous, Sony has serious ammunition in its 2008 arsenal.

MS has Halo Wars (which I doubt will have nearly the same draw as Halo), Too Human, and possibly a Gears of War 2?

Most of the Sony product you listed is pegged for third or fourth quarter,though (pretty much everything but MGS4). 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 18, 2008, 06:58:04 AM

MS has Halo Wars (which I doubt will have nearly the same draw as Halo),

I think it could sell just on the name alone but I'm guessing it'll be <1,000,000.

I bet most people don't even care.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 18, 2008, 03:15:57 AM

And yet, all those faulty models are still out there
That has no bearing on ones purchased from this point forward
, and the first few upgrades didn't do much to help.
By all accounts the ones manufactured after June 2007 (new heatsinks, followed by the die shrink) have been much more reliable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:14:28 PM by Laner » Logged
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

Quote from: Laner on February 18, 2008, 04:12:06 PM

Quote from: Turtle on February 18, 2008, 03:15:57 AM

And yet, all those faulty models are still out there
That has no bearing on ones purchased from this point forward
, and the first few upgrades didn't do much to help.
By all accounts the ones manufactured after June 2007 (new heatsinks, followed by the die shrink) have been much more reliable.

Which accounts would these be? I've looked and haven't seen any evidence of improvement. I've seen reports of RRoD with build dates as recent as December 2007.

As far as what the future holds?

I still see the wii as a short lived fad (3-4 years). I'm already sick of mine and I know 2 other people that are looking to sell and get something else. It's a small sample of people for sure, but I'm sure others feel the same. a Gamecube with waggle added isn't what I was hoping for when I bought it. I thought the motion controls would work much better than they do, and I'm not alone. I'm probably very wrong about the Wii.  Tongue

I think enough games have come out that demonstrate the 2 HD consoles are pretty evenly matched. Sony is positioned to take over Europe, they already outsell by like 5-1 in Japan, and will likely catch up or fall just short in America. I think the bluray win is going to be a major victory and will sell a lot of consoles, but I think it's the upcoming games that will likely carry it to the top.

If Microsoft can drop prices and release a new model that promises reliability I think they can put a hurt on Sony again, but if they continue to drop the ball on repairs, fall short on a method for how to transfer purchased content from one console to another, and continue to have Live outages, their customers will run out of goodwill as the PS3 becomes a better competitor in the online arena. Those issues have kept me away (in addition to a bad experience with xbox 1). For now they have the advantage, but as the advantage disappears they will need to fix their other problems or people will jump ship.

As for Sony repeating the PS2's success? I think it's still possible. I don't think MS will end up on top because they won't get a large enough install base outside the US to claim a total victory. I think we're looking at something that will look a lot more like 2-3 generations ago when Sega and Nintendo were fighting for the top. Whoever ends up on top this time is not likely to be WAY up at the top. it will be pretty closely shared. May even be damn near a 3 way split.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:00:28 PM by somoflange » Logged

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 18, 2008, 01:52:50 AM

I wonder how much the 3 red rings will play into Microsoft's sales? By now every one who isn't a total Microsoft fanboy admits the console is not reliable. So will that hurt MS?

I've been bugging the guy who sits next to me to get a 360 for months.  Recently my 360 had to go back to MS after a RRoD incident.  Now he's talking about getting a PS3.

The 360 is still superior for gamers who play online, both because of XBL and the higher install base.  However, I think most console gamers do not play online.  I think MS's reliability problems are going to make a huge difference.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

[/quote]

Whoever ends up on top this time is not likely to be WAY up at the top. it will be pretty closely shared. May even be damn near a 3 way split.
[/quote]

I can definately see this happening in the US.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 18, 2008, 08:28:47 PM

Whoever ends up on top this time is not likely to be WAY up at the top. it will be pretty closely shared. May even be damn near a 3 way split.

I can definately see this happening in the US.

Is that enough for MS?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:44:22 PM by ATB » Logged
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2008, 04:43:57 AM

of course he could have paid 480 and gotten the Elite, but I bet he jumped someone carrying a 360 out to their car and took off with it  icon_wink

Like everyone else, he punched the monkey on the banner ad and got a free 360. Who pays for electronics anymore?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on February 18, 2008, 07:54:24 PM

I still see the wii as a short lived fad (3-4 years).

Considering console generations last about 5 years, being on top for 3-4 would likely still put them on top for the generation. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 18, 2008, 08:42:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 18, 2008, 04:43:57 AM

Like everyone else, he punched the monkey on the banner ad and got a free 360. Who pays for electronics anymore?

I never got any payoff for spanking the monkey  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:07 AM »

I noticed that Lost Odyssey shipped on four DVDs.  We're two years into the 360's life cycle and at least one developer has already hit the wall that the 360's decision not to go HD in the main box has created.  The storage options that Blu-Ray provide Sony have got to come into play later in the life cycle.  At some point, I suspect you'll see games that have varied textures and high-quality video on the PS3 that the 360 can't touch, and that's without even taking into account the claim that developers haven't yet gotten the performance out of the Cell processor that they could.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 03:13:19 AM »

I'm perfectly fine with multi-disc games.  They're almost always the exception rather than the rule, and you only have to change discs a few times over the course of the entire game.  Yes, DVDs definitely hold less HD-quality movies, but I'm usually not a huge fan of tons of those anyway.  Give me high-quality in-game sequences any day.  With the release of Lost Odyssey, we're up to, what, two multi-disc games on the 360?  And both are lengthy RPGs from Mistwalker.  Oblivion and Mass Effect both fit on a single DVD.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 03:33:59 AM »

I actually don't mind multi disc games.  I can remember back with the Playstation, for me it was a mark of a good game.  Damn that game is four cds, it must be HUGE!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:55 AM »

Yeah, I gotta say that BD as a storage unit is (in this generation) unimportant.

Also, hw sales != console market win.

If everyone has a PS3/BD player and also have a 360- and they buy on their 360 for Live, controller reasons, etc... then it doesn't matter if the PS3 sells more units as far as game market footprint is concerned. DS's sell fine even though everyone and their dog have java enabled cell phones.

That being said,  if one already has a PS3 and online isn't important to the gamer(s) in the house, you'd be retard to THEN go out and buy a 360 unless there is a must-have exclusive.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 19, 2008, 11:47:55 AM

Yeah, I gotta say that BD as a storage unit is (in this generation) unimportant.

Yeah, I don't see how the reduced number of discs outweighs the need for large HD installs.
I'd rather have more discs.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »

Why yes, $350 to play games = sale. That price made me feel better about spending my hard-earned cash to buy a next-gen console. Let's not forget the hoopla that surrounded MS's price drop on the 360:

from the "[360] price drop confirmed?" thread:
Quote from: Calvin
Good enough to get a few new people into the fold pre-Halo3,so overall seems like a good move. A cut is a cut.

from the "official 360 price cuts" thread:
Quote from: Crux
Son of a bitch. I bought my 360 on July 8th. They make the price cuts effective August 8th. One day after my 30 day price match from Circuit City expired.

No one jumped on the "hey its only a $50 difference, suck it up" bandwagon there.  Roll Eyes
More on the price cut:

Quote from: Purge
JCC, a price-drop is a price drop. Even the PS3 had a price drop, but the difference between a 80GB and 60GB is negligable; the difference between Core and Premium is significant. MS didn't say "PRICE CUT ... [3 day delay] *cough*cough*on_the_discontinued_model_only*cough*"

MS has priced the system lower, and not just on their lowest system. They've bundled extra in it on the premium AND priced it lower for good. It may seem a marginal difference, but it holds significance.

And as another example of one who bought a console after the price drop: (from the "Xbox 360 for dummies" thread)
Quote from: JCC
With the PS3 still overpriced at $400, and its list of upcoming games not appealing to me, I am considering a 360 now.

Quote from: JCC
Apparently I am a dummy who likes to stay in debt. I bought a 360 Pro today.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 10:49:48 PM »

MS>Sony this year. 

In the U.S., yes. Worldwide it will be Sony>MS.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:37 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on February 19, 2008, 02:37:07 AM

I noticed that Lost Odyssey shipped on four DVDs.  We're two years into the 360's life cycle and at least one developer has already hit the wall that the 360's decision not to go HD in the main box has created.  The storage options that Blu-Ray provide Sony have got to come into play later in the life cycle.  At some point, I suspect you'll see games that have varied textures and high-quality video on the PS3 that the 360 can't touch, and that's without even taking into account the claim that developers haven't yet gotten the performance out of the Cell processor that they could.

Yep, but the Blu Ray spin time is slower than DVD hence the loading of multiples of the same file on the drive...and of course, the afore mentioned multiple GB loads on to the drives...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 04:45:12 AM »

Quote from: raydude on February 19, 2008, 03:24:29 PM

Why yes, $350 to play games = sale. That price made me feel better about spending my hard-earned cash to buy a next-gen console

That's right.  I'm always forgetting that the PS3 has no games.  Roll Eyes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 05:02:12 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 20, 2008, 04:45:12 AM

Why yes, $350 to play games = sale. That price made me feel better about spending my hard-earned cash to buy a next-gen console

it is kinda sad when you think that the used Gamecube section at my local GS is bigger than the new and used PS3 section combined  disgust

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »

Yeah, it was also bigger than the 360 section back when the 360 was a year after release.

Also, the gamecube didn't have downloadable games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 06:24:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 20, 2008, 05:56:54 AM

Yeah, it was also bigger than the 360 section back when the 360 was a year after release.

Also, the gamecube didn't have downloadable games.

yeah, but the difference is the 360 had a bunch of games I wanted to play back then.  I can still count he number of PS3 games I'm interested in on 2 fingers.  At least the dust magnet they put in the PS3 works really well- I swear I have to dust it off at least twice a week- it's like it's growing from the inside!  icon_lol

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 09:12:13 AM »

That's great for you that you had games to play, and people have games to play on the PS3 right now too, just different preferences.  But your original comment was about the library size, so that's been addressed.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

You brought up the question about whether a $50 price difference is important. It IS for some people. There's something about a $400 price point that makes people say "OMG that's expensive" while a $350 price point makes them say "well, that's not too bad". I brought up nothing about the PS3 not having any games to play. In fact, I think it has some GREAT games to play! The $400 barrier is still a barrier to me and quite a few other people.

Just wait. When Sony drops the PS3 price to $350 or less you will see more people posting, saying "Hey, I just got my PS3! What games should I buy?"

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »

Quote from: raydude on February 20, 2008, 12:59:58 PM

You brought up the question about whether a $50 price difference is important. It IS for some people. There's something about a $400 price point that makes people say "OMG that's expensive" while a $350 price point makes them say "well, that's not too bad". I brought up nothing about the PS3 not having any games to play. In fact, I think it has some GREAT games to play! The $400 barrier is still a barrier to me and quite a few other people.

Just wait. When Sony drops the PS3 price to $350 or less you will see more people posting, saying "Hey, I just got my PS3! What games should I buy?"

+1  400 Is to much for me to spend on a console/Blu-Ray player.   If the PS3 hits a 299.00 price point I might make the jump, but at it's present price point  I can't do it.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 20, 2008, 02:14:31 PM

+1  400 Is to much for me to spend on a console/Blu-Ray player.   If the PS3 hits a 299.00 price point I might make the jump, but at it's present price point  I can't do it.

If you spent $150 on an HD DVD player or 360 add-on, the current PS3 price point could have been $250.  If you spent $200 on HD DVD, make it $200 for a PS3.

It can get even worse.  I got my PS3 when it was 20% off at K-Mart last December.  That would've put the PS3 price point at $170 or $120 for people if they could magically get their $150/$200 back from their HD DVD purchase.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: