http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 01:44:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 slim pics?  (Read 5276 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 22, 2010, 08:30:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2010, 05:14:20 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 21, 2010, 04:40:57 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 21, 2010, 04:08:57 PM

i think its just us/the public who have called it 360 'slim'..i am pretty sure it isn't the official name,we just used that to compare with PS3

Doh...the name's been bantered around here so much, I just assumed it was official. slywink I checked the big box stores' and gamestop's online sites for availability, and it's just referred to as the Xbox 360 250 GB. I agree with Ceekay; 360-S would have been a slicker name and drawn on found memories of the improved, original Xbox controller.

LOL, look what Gamestop is calling it:

The Xbox 360 250GB Accessory Bundle includes:

* Xbox 360 250GB S Console with 1 Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller
    * Xbox 360 250GB S Removable Hard Drive
    * 1 additional Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller
    * Hard Drive Data Transfer Cable
    * Xbox 360 Black Headset
    * Xbox 360 Composite A/V cable (standard definition)
    * One Month Xbox LIVE Gold Membership
    * 1 year limited console warranty

LOL,you called it

I sincerely think MS missed a golden marketing opportunity by not officially calling it the Xbox 360-S. That 'S' could refer to 'Slim', 'Small' or even 'Special' - heck even some cooler editions of cars are referred to the 'S' model. And as I already said above - it would remind long standing, core Xbox games of MS's positive move to phase out the original 'Can-o-Ham' controller in favor of the Controller S.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 22, 2010, 08:42:39 PM

Just got the call that mine is in at Gamestop.

Me too.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »

got it, copied everything over, set everything up.  it's not a size reduction like the PS2 to PS2 Slim was but it's definitely smaller.  it could be the black coloring that helps too, but the PS3 dwarfs it like an ominous giant.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 22, 2010, 01:34:24 AM

they just said today that Kinect will have at least a 5 year lifespan,so by then we could be on 1TB HDDs *gulp*..and no doubt 360 branded ones only,which will prolly cost about $1000 icon_confused

I don't see why anyone would get excited about the 5 year lifespan on any part of this... after all, the original 360 had a 5 year lifespan.  Of course, a few years of that were taken up by sending the faulty consoles back and forth a bunch of times.  I can't complain, but I was exceedingly lucky having two launch units last almost 5 years.

I'm definitely not getting the new "S-Box" for a bit though, since I have two perfectly working Jasper units, plus I'm not very hyped about the Kinect thing.  This time I can be patient and see what the track record is for both the console and the Kinect jazz.

Probably.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 23, 2010, 10:40:45 PM

they just said today that Kinect will have at least a 5 year lifespan,so by then we could be on 1TB HDDs *gulp*..and no doubt 360 branded ones only,which will prolly cost about $1000 icon_confused

I don't see why anyone would get excited about the 5 year lifespan on any part of this... after all, the original 360 had a 5 year lifespan.  Of course, a few years of that were taken up by sending the faulty consoles back and forth a bunch of times.  I can't complain, but I was exceedingly lucky having two launch units last almost 5 years.

I'm definitely not getting the new "S-Box" for a bit though, since I have two perfectly working Jasper units, plus I'm not very hyped about the Kinect thing.  This time I can be patient and see what the track record is for both the console and the Kinect jazz.

Probably.

icon_razz

hey Myto...just a question

we both played for ages on 360 Final Fantasy 11 right?,i mean we were playing nearly all day and then all night(i think i was at one time putting at least 12hrs a day in....all waking moments was playing usually)...i stayed for 2 years doing that(but i started to slow down towards the end),and you stayed for a while longer

did your 360 fook up/RRoD on you during that time?

my first RRoD was about 2 weeks after i quit and i started to play 'normal' games

what about you?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »

Ha ha.  No, despite beating my 360 half to death with that amount of continuous gameplay - and going through several controllers with dead "A" or "Y" buttons, I got no RRoD during that time.  I actually didn't get the RR's on one machine, it would just stop working when it got hot, and the other lasted several more months before its RRoD.  I do remember though, having to switch hard drives because the 360 I was using for FFXI would occasionally just freeze.  It went upstairs, where the game time was more, let's say, considerate -  and lasted a couple more years.  I guess leaving the unit on for 24 hours, over and over (bazaars in front of the Auction House, ftl, lol) actually did have an effect on it - just not RRoD.   icon_biggrin

Like I said, I was lucky... really, really lucky!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2010, 02:18:06 AM »

I don't see why anyone would get excited about the 5 year lifespan on any part of this... after all, the original 360 had a 5 year lifespan.  Of course, a few years of that were taken up by sending the faulty consoles back and forth a bunch of times.  I can't complain, but I was exceedingly lucky having two launch units last almost 5 years.

Assuming you are not joking, the "5 year lifetime" is not saying that the device should physically keep working for 5 years (though it had better), but that we can expect another 5 years of support and games being released for it.  They are effectively saying you shouldn't expect this to be a end-of-cycle product that won't get support because some other new and shiny console will be released soon, as one would typically think at this point in the cycle.  Up until this generation the normal console lifetime (ie when it was the main platform before a successor had been released) was around 5 years.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »

regardless of when the put out the next generation of xbox consoles, I figure for me at least its worth trading in my old out of warranty 360 for a shiny new one.  Im going from 20 to 250 gig of hd space,  getting hdmi out, much lower power consumption and more warranty time for about $100  out of pocket.  Sound good to me.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

Not to mention the fact that the damn thing is quiet. I'm not quite as concerned with installing anything to the hard drive right away to avoid the buzzsaw drone of the dvd drive.  icon_cool

-craig

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 24, 2010, 02:18:06 AM

I don't see why anyone would get excited about the 5 year lifespan on any part of this... after all, the original 360 had a 5 year lifespan.  Of course, a few years of that were taken up by sending the faulty consoles back and forth a bunch of times.  I can't complain, but I was exceedingly lucky having two launch units last almost 5 years.

Assuming you are not joking, the "5 year lifetime" is not saying that the device should physically keep working for 5 years (though it had better), but that we can expect another 5 years of support and games being released for it.  They are effectively saying you shouldn't expect this to be a end-of-cycle product that won't get support because some other new and shiny console will be released soon, as one would typically think at this point in the cycle.  Up until this generation the normal console lifetime (ie when it was the main platform before a successor had been released) was around 5 years.  

Thanks, No9 - I was joking, but also misunderstanding the terminology, and jumped to a conclusion when i saw that "5 year lifetime" phrase, due to the 360's now infamous failure rate.  I didn't know the difference between the years of support and game releases, versus the years the unit or software would be physically functioning.  The old saw about learning something new every day is still true.  If only I could remember it all, now that would be helpful!   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »

As well, the Xbox lifecycle was not 5 years, but in fact 4 years; 2001-2005. Even the Dreamcast lasted as long as that - 2 of the shortest lifecycles in the history of console gaming. Stating that the Kinect will have a 5 year lifecycle leads to speculation that the 360 lifecyle might be much longer than what was expected. We already know MS is giving the 360 a longer than standard 5 year cycle, since the new Xbox would be releasing this Fall if that wasn't the case. Unless the next Xbox is going to be backward compatible with the Kinect, the 360 could end up having a lifecycle that rivals the PS2's. Great news IMO.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2010, 04:46:37 AM »

Packed up the old xbox and trading it all in for the new slim 'box.  Had to use USB storage to backup all of my game data, but I can't wait to test drive the new 360 tomorrow.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 25, 2010, 04:46:37 AM

Packed up the old xbox and trading it all in for the new slim 'box.  Had to use USB storage to backup all of my game data, but I can't wait to test drive the new 360 tomorrow.

I just red ringed and I'm thinking about going slim.  How hard is it to transfer everything using USB storage?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 27, 2010, 07:01:58 PM

I just red ringed and I'm thinking about going slim.  How hard is it to transfer everything using USB storage?

it was quite painless, but then again I only had about 4 gigs of stuff to move.

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 27, 2010, 08:17:59 PM

Just did it here.  Moved about 6.5gb of stuff.  It is really easy.  My Xbox only flashes the red rings sometimes when I turn it on so I'm just going to trade it in at Gamestop for the $100 toward a Slim.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 27, 2010, 08:23:27 PM

Just did it here.  Moved about 6.5gb of stuff.  It is really easy.  My Xbox only flashes the red rings sometimes when I turn it on so I'm just going to trade it in at Gamestop for the $100 toward a Slim.

just cross your fingers it doesn't RRoD when they test it.

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 27, 2010, 08:31:38 PM

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 27, 2010, 08:23:27 PM

just cross your fingers it doesn't RRoD when they test it.

Exactly.  If it does I'll just play dumb and say it hasn't happened before and I'll take it home and send it to MS for repairs.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 24, 2010, 09:05:51 PM

the 360 could end up having a lifecycle that rivals the PS2's. Great news IMO.

I doubt that's going to happen considering that the PS2 is still kicking smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »

If you want one, just go to Costco!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:55 AM »

I just picked one up at Fred Meyer.  I'll post some impressions when I get a chance to hook it up. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 04:21:41 AM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 30, 2010, 03:25:55 AM

I just picked one up at Fred Meyer.  I'll post some impressions when I get a chance to hook it up. 

I take it your old one betrayed you at Gamestop>

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2010, 04:28:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 30, 2010, 04:21:41 AM

Didn't get a chance to try.  Every Gamestop within 50 miles is sold out and are saying they won't have more until mid-late July.  I got impatient.  I'll try and trade it in for regular credit though.  What do they give for a 360 these days?  $60?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2010, 04:34:30 AM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on June 30, 2010, 04:28:17 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 30, 2010, 04:21:41 AM

Didn't get a chance to try.  Every Gamestop within 50 miles is sold out and are saying they won't have more until mid-late July.  I got impatient.  I'll try and trade it in for regular credit though.  What do they give for a 360 these days?  $60?

I think that's what mine rung up as before they applied the deal.

Because I can,
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »

Is there any way to transfer HDD contents to the new model if your old one has died and it doesn't boot up anymore? Does that mean I have to buy one of those transfer kits?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »

Normally you'd just swap hard drives and use USB media, I would imagine. However, the drives are no longer compatible so it does seem like you'd need to get your hands on a transfer cable. Someone here may have one to lend or you could buy one from MS or elsewhere. Assuming no issues with your old hard drive, of course.

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2010, 03:54:10 PM »

data transfer and you.

Because I can,
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »

Thanks guys. I got the new Xbox yesterday, but I'm not sure I want to buy a cable just for one use. I simply downloaded my gamertag again, and think I will continue from there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: