http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 03:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 slim pics?  (Read 5280 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on June 15, 2010, 04:21:29 PM

Quote from: mytocles on June 15, 2010, 10:28:07 AM

I dunno, I'm still underwhelmed by how it looks.  Something about that drawn in, angled thing I don't like, kinda reminds me of a crushed soda can.  I've never let appearance decide whether I get a console before, but now I already have two 360's (with Jasper chipsets.)  I probably won't be needing a "Not New 360" when I have two "Original 360s" doing quite nicely.   

MS did do a few things right, like including the chat pad - and yet, they can't really help themselves can they?  Charging $20 for the transfer cable, so you can upgrade to their new product seems like the same old M$.  Nickel and dime, nickle and dime, as usual.

Sigh...   icon_neutral
Chatpad isn't included with the new one either from the linked video.

Really?  I could swear one of them (the one showing a guy opening the box with the bow and wrapping paper) showed him pulling one out of the same box.  I'm sure you're right though, it was probably a bit of promotional trickery that I fell for, dur.   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 06:15:45 AM »

Quote from: spigot on June 15, 2010, 02:45:50 PM

I actually like the design and the upgrades on it, but hate the glossy finish. Not having a blu-ray is huge fail though. They could have really stepped up by having blu-ray capability with it.

Absolutely will not happen. Microsoft paying Sony royalties to put Sony's tech into their gaming console? Next generation console, maybe. This generation? Never.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »

do not do this with your new Xbox 360 'slim'

this has happened to a few discs of mine on the PS2 and Xbox1(although i wasn't moving the consoles at the time)....but still...ouch!

i mean its still pretty obvious that you shouldn't do that...but it certainly makes me cringe seeing it
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:30:24 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:03 AM »

What the hell? How is it that we have had CD Walkman technology that let you walk around with your portable music player and it worked just fine and yet the 360 eats your disk if you touch it?
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 16, 2010, 10:41:03 AM

What the hell? How is it that we have had CD Walkman technology that let you walk around with your portable music player and it worked just fine and yet the 360 eats your disk if you touch it?

XBOX 360's 16x DVD driver spin much faster than 1x CD drive plus CD walkman like PSP's optical drive is designed for portable usage.

And the guy didn't just touch the 360. He moved the XBOX 360 between horizontal to vertical position while the drive was spinning.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:43:03 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 15, 2010, 09:53:35 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 15, 2010, 07:29:39 PM

Quote from: kronovan on June 14, 2010, 09:06:07 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2010, 09:01:26 PM

Ugh, glossy black?  Freakin' dust magnet material.

And it'll be awesome at revealing my kid's fingerpints.  Roll Eyes

I don't know what that is, but it sounds like a new yogurt snack.

Either that or I was thinking of thimble sized mugs of beer.  icon_lol

For kids? Awesome. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »

I know the last portable CD player I had was set up so the CD sat on a spindle and didn't really have anything close by for the bottom of the disc to touch , where as the 360's sits in a tray and moving it while the disc is spinning would make it a lot easier for the dis bottom to contact the tray.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »

With the Walkman, you snapped the CD onto a spinner.  With these, they sit in a tray.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »

i had the tray scratch up a game once and you can line up the mark with a part of the tray lining pretty easily.  it can happen a lot easier than you think too.  i went to turn the system off, stepped on a kids toy and pushed the side of the xbox instead.  nice scuffing sounds were emitted and the game was unplayable from then on.  i took it to a gamecrazy and they resurfaced the disc.  the line was still there, somewhat faded out and the game worked fine. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »

I watched the video walk through of the slim. No ethernet port? But I have an ethernet cable! Bummer. I like all the other features. Please don't tell me that to get a port I have to give up something else.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

yes the Ethernet port is still there.

It is beside the USB ports and under the Kinect port - http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Hardware/x/xbox360250GBconsole/

Just watch the video - you will see it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:02:36 PM by Roman » Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

You know it's weird. I watched another video, some website guy at E3 showing off the new 360 and he said that port was where the Kinect was hooked to the new 360.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on June 16, 2010, 08:27:54 PM

You know it's weird. I watched another video, some website guy at E3 showing off the new 360 and he said that port was where the Kinect was hooked to the new 360.

The ethernet port is clearly labeled on the video Roman linked, right around the 1:17 mark, directly under the Aux port which I guess would be for Kinect.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/16/xbox-360-slim-17-smaller-than-original-incapable-of-rrod-ing/

Can't RROD because the light is only green slywink

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »

That's...not how you solve the RROD issue.  icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 12:54:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 17, 2010, 12:04:36 AM

That's...not how you solve the RROD issue.  icon_lol

sure it is.  there is no red light  Tongue

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 16, 2010, 11:18:25 PM

Aaargh!  How is the average (ignorant and older, like me) American supposed to understand this millimeter/ kilogram stuff?  I've barely got an idea of metric from 2-liter soda bottles, and reading somewhere that a meter is "roughly" a yard...   I did get the glossy vs. matte reference at least, though the "chill" part stumped me.

Guess I'll just have to take it on faith... much like I did the original XBox and the "original" 360. 

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 17, 2010, 08:30:00 AM

Aaargh!  How is the average (ignorant and older, like me) American supposed to understand this millimeter/ kilogram stuff?  I've barely got an idea of metric from 2-liter soda bottles, and reading somewhere that a meter is "roughly" a yard...   I did get the glossy vs. matte reference at least, though the "chill" part stumped me.

Guess I'll just have to take it on faith... much like I did the original XBox and the "original" 360. 

icon_razz

well the width there is 40mm smaller,so that's 4 centimeters which equals er ..1.6 Inches

the height is not even worth mentioning(5mm difference)..same with the Depth(4mm)...4 and 5 mm difference is pretty much nothing,and look the depth is larger for the new 360

overall from these measurements it doesn't seem to be that much difference in size(1 inch roughly equals the top part of your thumb),certainly not as much as i thought when i saw the pics of them both stood next to each other in that pic..are these measurements correct??

as for kilogram...well yeah i just looked at that and saw,that it was lighter icon_lol

i am thinking chill was the cream colour of the 360

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »

The new 360 wont RROD...as said above

but now,we have the Red Dot of Death(RDOD or RDOT)

this is what will happen now if you get an hardware problem

full story on Kotaku

people have already been posting their pictures  icon_lol

"Crap, I got the red dot of death. Time to call Microsoft..."

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave."

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »

Anyone got one yet?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

I don't need one right now, but in a month or two, I'll likely be moving out of my current situation into a place by myself.  Once that happens, it doesn't make much sense to keep two 360s, so I might just go ahead and upgrade the two to one of the new ones.  Unfortunately, the upgrade deal is much better now through Gamestop.  Maybe I just trade in one system for the upgrade deal now, and sell the other one once I don't need a second.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »

Seriously considering this, but... no MU port? I understand they are 'obsolete' and all, but I guess one would just use a flash drive for that functionality now. I would get a whole 'nuther $18 into the pot as part of this upgrade deal.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »

PS3 slim and 360 'slim'..for size references ...not good pics really,lOL

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on June 18, 2010, 12:37:49 PM

Anyone got one yet?

haven't seen any in the wild yet.  heck, Gamestop doesn't even have them on their website and Amazon has them listed as 'In Stock June 19'.

buy amazon support GT!

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2010, 02:27:50 PM

Quote from: Beer Goggles on June 18, 2010, 12:37:49 PM

Anyone got one yet?

haven't seen any in the wild yet.  heck, Gamestop doesn't even have them on their website and Amazon has them listed as 'In Stock June 19'.

buy amazon support GT!

Looks like the same situation here in Canada, with the exception that gamestop.ca is already shipping them from their online store. Futureshop and Bestbuy.ca both have them listed as preorder with no in store availability.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »

almost forgot about this topic; we can use USB sticks to transfer stuff now.  I'm sure I have less than 16 gig worth of stuff that would need to be moved over.

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2010, 03:30:28 AM »

I picked one up from Best Buy today, they had about 10 on the shelf while GameStop down the street was sold out.

Very quite, pretty much silent with an install (which you have a ton of room for).  Pretty much the same, feel a bit snappier, but that could just be me.  I know my friends list definitely populates faster my '06 unit took forever to show me who was online and what they were playing.

Now I just need to get a transfer cable.  For now I threw my Profile, RDR, BF2, and AW on a usb key.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »

I've reserved one at my local Gamestop to take advantage of their trade-in deal and every one around me had sold out of their initial allotment of units with an hour of opening yesterday, mostly because they didn't get all that many. Mine doesn't expect another shipment until July 7th or so, but I'm not in any kind of rush.

-craig

spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »

So with my birthday coming up next week and need to get something new and shiny, I bit the bullet and went in on the Gamestop $100 trade-in deal today. The Gamestops around me also had their first shipments sold out so I'm on call whenever they get their next batch in.

I had a Halo 3 Edition. I figured if I kept my current one and bought the wireless N adapter plus 250GB hard drive it wouldn't be as good a deal compared to paying the same price to just getting the new smaller, quieter, cooler version.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:31:58 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 19, 2010, 01:07:32 PM

I've reserved one at my local Gamestop to take advantage of their trade-in deal and every one around me had sold out of their initial allotment of units with an hour of opening yesterday, mostly because they didn't get all that many. Mine doesn't expect another shipment until July 7th or so, but I'm not in any kind of rush.

thanks for pointing about the trade in deal.  I reserved one too but apparently they dropped the ball and didn't mention this deal to me.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »

Ok if you do the Gamestop trade in, how do you transfer your harddrive info?  It would be nice if they did that for you when you traded in, would save the expense of a cable.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 19, 2010, 06:14:58 PM

Ok if you do the Gamestop trade in, how do you transfer your harddrive info?  It would be nice if they did that for you when you traded in, would save the expense of a cable.

I have an external HD that I'm going to move it too since you can use up to 16 gig of space on one or a USB stick to do so.  luckily I have less than that to move.

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2010, 06:44:05 PM »

Checked the Gamestop site and for accessories you can get some good money.  $30 for the 20 g HD,  $40 for the wireless adapter  ( I have one but cant find it frown   )  $25 for a extra controller

Ill save the extra controller but if I can find the adapter I can get $170 on the trade in.  My 360 is more than 3 years old so I think thats a great deal.  Calling today

Awesomeness  I found the adapter,  Cant pass up this upgrade now  smile
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:16:58 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2010, 07:07:38 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 19, 2010, 06:44:05 PM

Checked the Gamestop site and for accessories you can get some good money.  $30 for the 20 g HD,  $40 for the wireless adapter  ( I have one but cant find it frown   )  $25 for a extra controller

Ill save the extra controller but if I can find the adapter I can get $170 on the trade in.  My 360 is more than 3 years old so I think thats a great deal.  Calling today

I'm thinking of going the same route, especially now that you can transfer via USB stick - didn't know that until Ceekay mentioned it. Mine will be 3 years old in October, so I really need to trade up by then. I have the WiFi adapter and even an extra controller I rarely use, although it's synced to my PC's 360 receiver, so I may keep it for the few PC game I use it with. The problem here in Canuckistan is that the EB site doesn't mention the trade-in deal? They usually follow the US policies on that sort of thing though, so hopefully I can do this by October.
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »

Is there some trick to transferring with USB I don't know about?  I transfered three games worth of data (enough to get by while waiting for a transfer cable) and it took forever clicked on every single item one at a time.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »

Quick question CeeKay.  Is there instructions somewhere on how to transfer 360 data to an external usb HD?  I have one and that seems to be the way to go.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 19, 2010, 07:19:16 PM

Quick question CeeKay.  Is there instructions somewhere on how to transfer 360 data to an external usb HD?  I have one and that seems to be the way to go.

This might help. Luckily for me the secondary one I'll be trading in for this deal doesn't really have anything on it I need to transfer and what little there is would easily fit on a flash drive.

Also, Major Nelson talks about using the transfer kit but it looks like there may be an easier way to transfer groups of content at a time, rather than everything or singletons. Check here for the video embedded in the page and start just before the 3:00 mark.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:42:54 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 19, 2010, 08:31:12 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 19, 2010, 07:19:16 PM

This might help. Luckily for me the secondary one I'll be trading in for this deal doesn't really have anything on it I need to transfer and what little there is would easily fit on a flash drive.

they also warn you the device will be wiped when you configure it, so make sure there's nothing on it you want to keep.  luckily the external HD didn't have much on it (bought it for backing up my PC, I'll have to actually get around to using it for that eventually).

Because I can,
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »

cool  thanks for the replies!  I have too much on my external HD to allow a reconfigure so I guess Ill bite the bullet and get the transfer cable.  I found a place that sells them for like $7   Ill have to check on them to see how legit they are if so thats the cheapest wway to do this.  Kind of burns me tho that M$ doesnt provide a free method of transfering your data but for $7 Ill live with it.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »

Apparently, you get one if you purchase the 250 standalone, otherwise you need to make other arrangements. It used to be free for the asking from MS, it's just that you had to request one, which is how I got mine. From what I recall, most of the people selling theirs got them for free.

You could always take advantage of the free checkout that GT offers... I donated my cable to the cause.  icon_wink

-craig

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: