http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:42:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 questions  (Read 953 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »

Not three hundred and sixty questions but questions about the Xbox 360

So I finally will be getting one (UPS says it is on the truck for delivery) and I have a few questions about setup and that kind of thing.

1. If I stick with the silver package will I still be able to download demos, and games off live?  I know I won't be able to play on-line but that is fine but I would like to be able to get bejeweled! (after all I only have it for the PocketPC, and PC)  

2. Does vertical or horizontal matter?  I haven't decided yet what would look best but does it make any difference besides looks?

3. I know that I can't currently stream movies from my PC unless I have
Media Center edition or Vista but (for those of you who watch say the xbox scene) will there ever be a program I could run on the PC which would fake out the 360 so I could play video?  If I could just do that I could get rid of the original Xbox altogether since that is really all I do with that.  

4. My DVD player is going through S-video but the 360 will be component will DVDs look better on the 360?  If they would I could get rid of the DVD player.  (in case you can't tell I would like to limit the number of things I have running - right now I have a Cube, a PS2, DVD player, TiVo, and an Xbox.  I would love to limit some of that if the 360 can do any of the functions.)

Thanks, I will post more questions if I think of any.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Not three hundred and sixty questions but questions about the Xbox 360

So I finally will be getting one (UPS says it is on the truck for delivery) and I have a few questions about setup and that kind of thing.

1. If I stick with the silver package will I still be able to download demos, and games off live?  I know I won't be able to play on-line but that is fine but I would like to be able to get bejeweled! (after all I only have it for the PocketPC, and PC)  

2. Does vertical or horizontal matter?  I haven't decided yet what would look best but does it make any difference besides looks?

1) D'oh! Misread this and thought you meant the core system.

2) Nope, nada.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:31:16 PM »

1. Yes.  Also at the end of this month Verizon is sponsoring a Live! weekend, so you can play with us at the time if you choose

2.I guess it doesn't matter.  I have mine horizontal since I set it up with no problems.  Make sure the power brick and console have plenty of ventilation.  Sumabitch systems runs hot as hell

3.  No idea.  I would be interested in this too

4. YMMV, but the 360 displays DVDs in 480p so if you DVD player is better than I would stick with it.  I use my 360 as my primamry player in my gaming room and have no qualms with it.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:52:09 PM »

2) Horizontal, always. There's a reason as to why your PC CD drives are always horizontal - it puts extra strain on both the CD drive and the CD reader if you go vertical, as now you're fighting gravity.

3) I have the optional download from Microsoft on my laptop (WinXP SP2) that allows me to stream music to my 360. You can't do it with video though? I didn't know that. Then again, I wasn't interested in trying either.

4) So your DVD player is S-Video, and your 360 is under Component. Automatically, just based on that, your 360 will look better (assuming you have a Progressive Scan (480p) capable TV), as you can't output into Progressive without a Component connection.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:18 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
2) Horizontal, always. There's a reason as to why your PC CD drives are always horizontal - it puts extra strain on both the CD drive and the CD reader if you go vertical, as now you're fighting gravity.

3) I have the optional download from Microsoft on my laptop (WinXP SP2) that allows me to stream music to my 360. You can't do it with video though? I didn't know that. Then again, I wasn't interested in trying either.

4) So your DVD player is S-Video, and your 360 is under Component. Automatically, just based on that, your 360 will look better (assuming you have a Progressive Scan (480p) capable TV), as you can't output into Progressive without a Component connection.

2 - I wish they would make them flat then.  Both the Cube and the PS2 open from the top so nothing can go on top of them which means I will have to put something on top of the 360.  If it were flat that would be easier!

3 - Do you have a link to that?  I will head to www.xbox.com to see if I can find it but a link would be easier. smile  

4 - So it should be somewhat better.  But it is so much better that I will be shocked?  

Thank you all

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:52 PM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
1. Yes.  Also at the end of this month Verizon is sponsoring a Live! weekend, so you can play with us at the time if you choose

I know!  I am very excited about having it setup by the weekend.  I will be renting GRAW, should I also get COD2?  Which are more people playing?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »

3 - Do you have a link to that?  I will head to www.xbox.com to see if I can find it but a link would be easier. smile  

4 - So it should be somewhat better.  But it is so much better that I will be shocked?  

*digs around*

3) http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/default.aspx
Weird though - the n00b button on the right "Stream music and photos from your Player library to your living room with Xbox 360 (an idiot guide for setting up everything)." doesn't work. But all I remember doing was download the program and tell it what shared folders to use. From then, you visit one of the 360 blades and tell it to look elsewhere for music.

Update - visit here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/pc.htm for a more detailed guide (scroll down) to getting everything set up.

4) You're drastically increasing the screen resolution (320x240 is normal TV resolution, 480p is 640x480 IF I'm right), so yes, you'll notice it rather quickly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »

More people are playing GRAW right now, CoD2 has some big problems with its Live matching service, you can't make your own server, just auto matches.

CoD2 does have a very good SP campaign, and the multiplayer is great.  It's just the matching service that sucks and there's a bug where once you get one small lag spike the network code chokes up and it'll stay laggy (whereas normally it should return to normal after a player leaves the server).

GRAW on the other hand has very good Live play, albiet it's a very lethal and long ranged game.  Expect to get killed in one shot by people you don't see quite often.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:45:38 PM »

Well I got it all setup last night and played a bit of Oblivion.  I didn't get a chance to compare DVD playback so I still have my DVD player plugged in but I do like how Oblivion looks!

I get one free month of Live's Gold package so I will have to rent some on-line games and test it out.  

Lets see if I can put my gamer card into this...  and it can't be done.  frown

Oh well.  My gamertag is Farley2k if anyone sees me online.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

For anyone interested, there's some live hints and stuff in the multiplayer thread right here.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »

Lets see if I can put my gamer card into this...  and it can't be done.  frown

If you want to get your Gamer Card online, go visit here: http://card.mygamercard.net/ and set yours up.

*see my sig for how it works afterwards*

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »

I am a happy panda....and I really wish I could find a picture I liked better.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:38:09 PM »

You will have more on your three-sixty.

when you're at the dashboard, bring up the mini-dash with the X logo, and from there you can select prefs (or your gamertag, I don't remember) and select other images. You can also download images from Live as well.

Some games (like Perfect Dark Zero) offer extra gamerpics on the special edition disk.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

I have a question :

Does the 360 have HDMI inputs?

The reason I ask is I haven't heard of it using HDMI, yet Circuit City includes a Monster HDMI cable in it's 360 Platinum package.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: