http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Price drop - Update: Denied! No price drop for you!  (Read 2422 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2007, 06:24:36 AM »

Core goes to $249
Premium goes to $349
Elite goes to $399

Only about a $50 price drop, and the elite, though it sold, I don't think was worth the extra $80.  But still, a conservative price drop that does just enough to steal Sony's thunder.  Heck, at $250 they've started stepping on Nintendo's toes.

Despite this price drop, Sony can still claim superior hardware for those that want it.  So as usual, it's going to come down to the exclusive games and it looks like both companies are gearing up for a fight.  MS claimed a great early lead by, you know, actually having games for its game console.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:21:24 AM by Turtle » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »

yeah but I bet later in E3 they announce Falcon for those....that will really hit sony

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:29:23 AM »

Falcon isn't likely to be marketed as a big thing.  It's all internal changes and likely the only people who will know about the switch to 6nm parts are the ones who are waiting for it.  They'll just suddenly start shipping the 65nm version at the same price, with no way to tell the difference besides looking at model numbers.  Falcon isn't like the PS2 slim or DS lite, they're just changing the internals to be cheaper and more reliable.  It's more like a change between the revision 1 PS2 and revision 2 PS2, which wasn't much.

Despite what the news report wants to make it sound like, it's really not all that special, unless you've had a lot of 360s fail on you, that is.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 06:31:27 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:14:21 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 10, 2007, 06:24:36 AM

Core goes to $249
Premium goes to $349
Elite goes to $499

wait, they're raising the price on the Elite?

Despite this price drop, Sony can still claim superior hardware for those that want it. 

and chances are those who want it will already have it.  Unfortunately it still doesn't cost any less to be able to play PS3 games with those 20 gig versions still floating around.

Despite what the news report wants to make it sound like, it's really not all that special, unless you've had a lot of 360s fail on you, that is.

or you're a PS3 fanboy  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »

I think he meant $399 for the elite...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on July 10, 2007, 10:57:45 AM

I think he meant $399 for the elite...

I sure as heck hope so. Kinda scary if it went up instead.

EDIT: I can't confirm this anywhere at the moment. The prices listed are what an investor thinks the prices should drop to, but nothing in actual reality that I can see.

Lazard Capital Markets' Colin Sebastian, Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter, Oppenheimer's Shawn Milne, and Nollenberger Capital Partners' Todd Greenwald all brought up the possibility of an Xbox 360 price cut, but they differed on how much the cut would be and when it would be revealed.

Pachter suggested Microsoft would cut the price of the Elite model of Xbox 360 from $479 to $399, with the Pro and Core packages shedding $50 each, to $349 and $249, respectively.

Best I can come up with.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:10:42 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:59:42 AM »

If they're going to drop the price, I hope they do it this week. I just bought a freaking elite at Circuit City on Sunday!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:24:13 PM »

Um..this is still a completely and totally unconfirmed rumor that originally started by Pachter of Wedbush Morgan (who is nowhere near as incompetent as I originally thought just as an aside). What's up with all the rumor-mongoring lately Turtle?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »

Here's the thing.  If this turns out to be true, the Premium immediately becomes useless.

Let's look at it.  You're looking at $249 for the Core, which is good, puts it with the Nintendo Wii although the 'real' price is a minimum of $279 (after a memory card).  At $349, the premium isn't bad, except that you can get 20 gig HDDs for next to nothing now thanks to the 120 gig drive.  And, at $399 the Elite is now 'the unit'.  If you're going to spend $349, why not spend the extra $50 to get a 120 gig HDD and HDMI?

What'd make more sense to me is if the Core drops to $249 for the same reason, the Elite drops to either $299 or (more likely) $329 and the Elite goes to $399.  It widens the point between the Elite and the Premium, as well as the gap between the Core and the Premium.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 10, 2007, 01:22:41 PM

If you're going to spend $349, why not spend the extra $50 to get a 120 gig HDD and HDMI?
Seems like sound pricing then, or do you also find it foolish for movie theaters to offer the large popcorn for just a dollar more than the medium?  smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »

Actually, it's more like 50 cents, and yes. :p
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 10, 2007, 02:06:03 PM

Actually, it's more like 50 cents, and yes. :p

so, how do you feel about the Intel Price cuts then?  icon_wink

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »

I shall continue to wait until the 65nm units are deployed with the new cooling at which point I'll snag whatever the most high-end version is along with as long a warranty as is possible. So... Christmas might bring a 360!  icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »

Er, yeah $399 for the elite.  Should learn not to post late at night.  I've edited the above post.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 10, 2007, 11:06:49 AM

EDIT: I can't confirm this anywhere at the moment. The prices listed are what an investor thinks the prices should drop to, but nothing in actual reality that I can see.

Supposedly there is to be a press conference around 4pm today at a pre-E3 thingie.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 02:45:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 10, 2007, 02:21:56 PM

Quote from: Destructor on July 10, 2007, 11:06:49 AM

Supposedly there is to be a press conference around 4pm today at a pre-E3 thingie.

Yeah I mean, obviously this COULD happen. Maybe it even SHOULD happen. My issue isn't with being wrong about it-especially with the mystery 4th SKU popping up possibly this morning. My issue is that this news being reported as fact is VERBATIM the analysis Pachter presented yesterday.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 02:58:33 PM »

My point is that you don't want to price any of your systems (in a multi SKU environment) where there's no point in purchasing one of them because the cost difference between them is too slight to really matter.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 03:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 10, 2007, 02:58:33 PM

My point is that you don't want to price any of your systems (in a multi SKU environment) where there's no point in purchasing one of them because the cost difference between them is too slight to really matter.

But this is where the movie popcorn analogy comes into play.  Timmy's been begging for a 360, but his mom took one look at the $400 price tag and thought "no way."  But now there's an ad in the paper that says the 360 is $250.  Now you've got a chance of getting her in a store with a purchase in mind, and then a salesman then has the opportunity to convince her that "for just a few dollars more you could have X, Y, and Z," and viola she's spending the $400 she didn't think she wanted to spend.

Rough analogy, I know, but the point is that Microsoft wants everyone to be purchasing the most expensive model they have out there, and close price tags help accomplish that.  In the case of the new Premium & Elite pricing, you're getting $50 more out of the customer for less than $50 worth of extra parts.  Even if it's just $10 extra profit per unit, when you're selling 300k units each month it equates to millions of extra dollars a month.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 10, 2007, 02:58:33 PM

Unless you want to price one out of existance...
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 08:19:31 PM »

Which is also dumb, unless you want a large gap between the top and bottom.  Which puts the price of entry still at $399.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 05:20:52 AM »

I was wrong, this info came from an analyst.  There was no price drop, although no doubt they wanted one.  I've no doubt that 1 billion price tag for fixing faulty hardware was part of the cause.

So now Sony has a chance to catch up.  Not really an opportunity, but just a chance.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 05:23:31 AM »

Did they say there would be no price drop or did they just not announce one tonight (I wasn't watching part of the time)? Considering that the entire presentation was about the games coming out this year (and very little about hardware), I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a price drop later in E3.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 05:28:15 AM »

This is their press event, it's the most likely place they would announce such a price drop.

Yes, it's still possible that they could announce it through the rest of the week.  But, not as likely.

But as I said above, it turns out those drop numbers came from an analyst, and we know how wrong those guys have been before.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

If they're going to announce a price drop, it's possible they'll to do it during Nintendo's conference or immediately thereafter. Dropping the Core to $249 would price it the same as the Wii and I wouldn't be surprised if they use that fact to still some of Big N's press.
If not, well.... Microsoft will have foolishly missed a golden opportunity yet again.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »

OH SNAP!! Calvin strikes again! I told you Turt, this was just Pachter's securities analysis.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 02:55:26 PM »

I'll be surprised if they don't announce a price drop for the Holiday shopping season, or at least offer some sort of rebate/free game(s).

Because I can,
Dirt
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 03:26:05 PM »

MS will have to be real stupid to do a price drop this year.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2007, 02:55:26 PM

I'll be surprised if they don't announce a price drop for the Holiday shopping season, or at least offer some sort of rebate/free game(s).

Frankly, I don't see Microsoft dropping the price at all this year if they don't do so within the next month or so.

Why?

Halo. Mass Effect. Bioshock. All the other exclusive titles that are due out before the end of the year.

People will be buying 360s for these games. People will be buying LOTS of 360s (if they haven't already) just for Halo. Get all the money out of these people that they can.

So I see one of two possibilities - either Microsoft is waiting until right after E3 (to see if the other sides have any giant announcements that'll require them to drop the price to help spur sales), or they won't be worrying about it until all of their exclusives (which will get people to buy their system) have gone out of the door this year.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 03:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Dirt on July 11, 2007, 03:26:05 PM

MS will have to be real stupid to do a price drop this year.

Or not.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »

Some kind of incentive is likely later on this year, but considering how Sony's price drop was less than spectacular, they still are under no pressure to drop the 360's price.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 11, 2007, 03:31:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 11, 2007, 02:55:26 PM

Frankly, I don't see Microsoft dropping the price at all this year if they don't do so within the next month or so.

Why?

Halo. Mass Effect. Bioshock. All the other exclusive titles that are due out before the end of the year.

People will be buying 360s for these games. People will be buying LOTS of 360s (if they haven't already) just for Halo. Get all the money out of these people that they can.

So I see one of two possibilities - either Microsoft is waiting until right after E3 (to see if the other sides have any giant announcements that'll require them to drop the price to help spur sales), or they won't be worrying about it until all of their exclusives (which will get people to buy their system) have gone out of the door this year.

I agree with you Tim about that I don't see MS seeing any pressure to drop the price right now. They know they've got a VERY strong lineup of games this fall that will help sell systems.  They can get those games out the door and watch to see what the ongoing consumer response is to the lower PS3 price.

If MS needs to react - they can easily lower the price in Oct/Nov in time for the Christmas rush.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »

And as mentioned, I think they're waiting for the new falcon internal hardware to release to market before dropping the price.  This way they aren't losing as much per unit.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 11, 2007, 05:28:32 PM

And as mentioned, I think they're waiting for the new falcon internal hardware to release to market before dropping the price.  This way they aren't losing as much per unit.

One popular rumor is that the Halo 3 LE 360 is giong to be the first premium with 65nm (and the HDMI).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 04:08:10 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 11, 2007, 06:28:20 PM

One popular rumor is that the Halo 3 LE 360 is giong to be the first premium with 65nm (and the HDMI).

If it's a green crystal case like the XBox one was I may have to track one down.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »

I still think that if they could have, they would have announced a price drop just to smack down Sony's price drop announce, but that 1 billion warranty extension prevented it.  I mean, really where better to grab victory than at such an event.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2007, 04:08:10 AM

Quote from: Calvin on July 11, 2007, 06:28:20 PM

If it's a green crystal case like the XBox one was I may have to track one down.

Good lord CK, there have been pictures of it everywhere! Its in a standard case with a olive drab finish that sounds boring but is suprisingly good-the highlights are like a burnt copper. Very cool. September release.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 12, 2007, 12:42:49 PM

Good lord CK, there have been pictures of it everywhere! Its in a standard case with a olive drab finish that sounds boring but is suprisingly good-the highlights are like a burnt copper. Very cool. September release.

I really haven't been paying attention to Halo 3 stuff so it's not surprising I missed it.  I do have the game pre-ordered but I haven't decided if I'll grab it or not-  it all depends what else comes out around the time.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 03:27:14 PM »

Good lord CK, there have been pictures of it everywhere! Its in a standard case with a olive drab finish that sounds boring but is suprisingly good-the highlights are like a burnt copper. Very cool.

You think so?  I thought it looked like someone puked on a white 360.  Not that I'd buy one anyway but olive drab just isn't a color I would ever want for a piece of consumer electronics. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 12, 2007, 03:27:14 PM

Good lord CK, there have been pictures of it everywhere! Its in a standard case with a olive drab finish that sounds boring but is suprisingly good-the highlights are like a burnt copper. Very cool.

You think so?  I thought it looked like someone puked on a white 360.  Not that I'd buy one anyway but olive drab just isn't a color I would ever want for a piece of consumer electronics. 
Yeah i was surprised I liked it too-I think I did because it looks like the Chief's armor, and that conveys good memories. I also really dislike the offwhite of the unit in the first place so maybe that makes it easier for me to accept the olive drab-maybe in person it will look a little less garish kevin, I get the impression its going to be a subdued green. really like the copper tones though.

I am not sure if I will get one or not. If it comes, as a few places have rumored, with the first batches of the 65nm chips, the HDMI port and is only minimially more than a premium, then I will either sell mine or give it to my brother and pick one up to ensure that my 360 continues to run for a long time and has less cooling issues. If its super expensive, then I might wait for an Elite price drop and go that way.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »

"I'm not quite dead yet..."

Price drop still coming per MS:

Kim: Stay tuned. We didn't announce anything here, didn't feel the need to. July is a very odd time to announce a price reduction. I'm not even sure Sony announced a price reduction, anyway [Kim is pointing to the fact that the PS3 launched with a $499 20GB version and a $599 60GB model; Sony discontinued the $499 20GB version in April 2007 in North America, so the company is essentially reducing the 60GB model to the 20GB price. --Ed.], but we don't feel the need to do it here at E3.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161223
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: