http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 02:38:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Just Cause gets TWO bad reviews from IGN (OOPS-one bad, one good)  (Read 874 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:55:45 AM »

Can someone explain why IGN has two reviews of Just Cause by two different reviewers, both giving a score of 6.8?  Yet, one reviewer clearly liked it more than the other.

Erik Brudvig:
Closing Comments
Newly formed Avalanche Studios out of Sweden should be given credit for a good attempt at its first game. It seems that if they had a little more time to iron out the bugs and add some polish, then they would have produced a great title. The graphics are, for the most part, quite good looking and there is a lot of fun to be had while playing through the storyline, performing crazy aerial stunts, and trying your hand at a few of the side quests. The lack of depth really comes through once you get more than about 10 hours into the game and the monotony of doing the same side quests over and over takes its toll. After that, it comes down to how much fun you can create by yourself. Just Cause works well as a rental on Xbox and Xbox 360 or as a game to pick up and play for a short while, but if you want something to keep you entertained for a long time then you should look elsewhere.

Matt Wales:
Closing Comments
Ultimately, if massive destruction and daredevil escapades are your bag, you’ll probably love Just Cause. It’s fair to say that Avalanche seems to have struggled to fill its gorgeous, living island with engrossing content beyond the main missions, but that doesn’t mean you won’t still have a monumental amount of fun exploring it – that fact in itself justifies its sheer size. If you’re still undecided whether Just Cause is for you, understand that the game proper will probably last you fifteen to twenty hours, factoring in story objectives and general messing round. If that doesn’t seem like much to you, we can’t stress enough that those are fifteen hours of some of the most spellbinding moments of giddy, adrenaline-soaked euphoria we’ve had from a game in a long time. At the end of the day, Just Cause is a game that practically demands you use your imagination to make the most of its potential – and if you’ve got it, you’re in for an absolute rollercoaster ride.

How am I supposed to let other people make my game buying decisions for me with this kind of thing going on?

EDIT:  I just realized that it is 6.8 on both reviews, but only in the side bar.  Matt Wales actually gave the game a very high 8.8.

EDIT 2: Answering my own question.  It is more than just an attempt at fairness in journalism.  On the sidebar, the 8.8 is listed as the UK review score.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:20:33 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 03:59:43 AM »

Ouch 6.8 is not encouraging.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 04:49:06 AM »

6.8 is unacceptable for my $59.99
Ill have to G.fly it.

sorry. $49.99
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 04:52:47 AM by juniordan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »

i was very on the fence about this one..actually i still am.......the demo wasnt mega great(IMO)...but the 'biggest map other than a MMORPG' made me think twice,its meant to put far cry to shame on island size,someone said that it was free roaming and only when you are parachuting do you actually see the splender of the size of the island

comes out this friday here same day as godfather 360...and i want godfather,so it may be a title to pick up some time later,as kingdom hearts finally gets released a week on friday(hurray!!)...and that is the title i have been looking forward to for a long time

i may give the demo from the marketplace another go,if xbox live ever does get back up from maintanace(it was meant to be back up 95minutes ago...but never is on time)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »

From the trailers I've seen, the game looks retarded.

And it's published by Eidos.  Soooooooo, yeaaaaah...

TheMissingLink on PSN
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:02:01 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 19, 2006, 12:35:04 PM

i was very on the fence about this one..actually i still am.......the demo wasnt mega great(IMO)...but the 'biggest map other than a MMORPG' made me think twice,its meant to put far cry to shame on island size,someone said that it was free roaming and only when you are parachuting do you actually see the splender of the size of the island

Well, if by "only when parachuting" you mean also when flying jets, planes and helicopters, then sure it's only when parachuting.  icon_wink  The game is also totally free-roaming; you can go anywhere any time you want.  If you never got to the part in the demo where you're flying the helicopter you should definitely check that out again.  Also, I think after you take down the first guy in the demo you have until nightfall to play around and check stuff out if you don't want to do the other missions.    

I read both of those reviews and I have to say that I think I probably fall in with the UK review more.  It may not be perfect but if I can get 15 hours of awesome gameplay and a bunch more of free-roaming and side missions then I would be more than happy.  I want games to be of a length where I can actually complete them and keep the intensity up so I don't get bored.  I enjoyed the GTA series, but

I have to agree that most of the trailers have been pretty shitty, though.  The first Developer Diary on IGN (on this page) gives you quite a bit of footage of the different vehicles and stuff in the game. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 03:08:37 AM »

Should be worth a rental at least.
Any game that delivers a true open-ended gameplay experience like that at least deserves a second look.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: