http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:27:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Dilemma  (Read 1143 times)
Booner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2005, 04:26:09 PM »

Would you give up $600 for a Premium, Extra Wireless, and a Plug and Charge kit if you could pick it up in person within an hour? I know someone offering this deal to me because her son took it on the chin with his latest report card.

Is $600 too much? Will I be able to look the little fella in the eyes when I aquire his Christmas present? Should I tell him to do better in school as I walk off with it?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 04:28:04 PM »

Ooooooh that's harsh.  I am unsure!

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 04:29:21 PM »

that's $470 + tax worth of goods... depends on your local tax rate how good a deal it might be... at ym local tax rate that is $92 over retail... depends how badly you want it. I paid ~$70 over retail for mine and have no regrets.

I suppose it's all a matter of what is "too much" for your personal finances.
----
don't forget the extra value of helping a friend teach a kid a lesson!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 04:33:14 PM »

Financially, it's not a real big deal...I just don't wanna be suckered. I guess $100 over retail with tax doesn't seem too bad if it means no more hunting and much more PGR3 racing.  biggrin
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 05:02:44 PM »

Yeah, that price sounds fair, but only if you can't wait, and if you can transfer or add any warranty (should be able to) - especially if the rugrat hasn't touched it yet - is it in-box?  

If it were me, I'd not want the kid to know, though! You could also check current eBay prices and buy it from her and maybe make $200 - to put toward the one you'll get in line for on the 18th!  :twisted:

Here's another idea:  do you like kids a lot, and do you like this kid?  Offer the mother the exact price that she paid, and let the kid play occasionally - if he gets his grades up.  Set a time limit beforehand though!  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »

Personally, no, but I know plenty of people, including my brother-in-law, who would jump at the chance.

The onlly problem is that you risk walking into a store this week to find a significant resupply has occured and you could have saved yourself a $100 dollars.

If it doesn't make you feel sick to your stomach, go for it.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 05:14:43 PM »

If someone I knew were making me that offer, I would take it.  I have no expectation of finding an X-Box 360 for myself before next year, and considering the prices I would have to pay most sources to fix that, $100 over retail is pretty reasonable.

-Autistic Angel
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 06:57:26 PM »

I would do it, no question about it.

That isn't that bad a deal at all, given the HUGE premiums people are paying on Ebay.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 07:42:20 PM »

Buy it, sell it on ebay for at least $800+, pocket the profit and remind the kid that flunked his classes that simple math really does help your future. slywink

With extra cash in hand, just wait for it to become widely available and buy it then.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 07:45:30 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Buy it, sell it on ebay for at least $800+, pocket the profit and remind the kid that flunked his classes that simple math really does help your future. slywink

With extra cash in hand, just wait for it to become widely available and buy it then.

biggrin
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 08:50:26 PM »

If you are chomping at the bit to get one, buy it.  If you can wait, buy it anyway, Ebay it, and then after the new year rolls in keep checking stores regularly and you should be able to get one by Feb.  If you can't stand the thought of waiting that long, then keep it.  Comes down to how bad you want it.

Oh, and as for Ebay, it looks like they are averaging around $850 or so.  After you pay Ebay their $30 and Paypal their $25, you will end up making around $200 give or take 10 percent.  If you agree to pay shipping to make yours more enticing then you will make about $175 I suspect because shipping will run $25-30.

I must say though that I am encouraged that a parent would take something so desirous from a kid over grades.  There is hope for our young after all.

As for waiting in line on the 18th, there is that.  I myself have no desire to wait in line 6 hours, which would probably be the minimum around here to get one of the 34 systems at my Best Buy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 11:15:51 PM »

Six hours, a week from Christmas?  I seriously doubt that will work unless there are some decent shipments prior to that.  On launch day, for a guaranteed 20 premiums, not sure how many cores - it was 14 hours and about 40 people. And only one person dropped out - to go elsewhere for a different line.  And that was with four hours of it being in very cold rain, having been kicked out from the Mall from 1 to 5 AM.  More people would've gotten in line but everyone (including the very nice Best Buy manager) kept telling them that it was hopeless, try elsewhere.  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 12:23:08 AM »

Is she your friend? Bitch should give it to you at cost. She's tryin' to hustle one of her boys? Sheeeeit.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 01:16:32 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Is she your friend? Bitch should give it to you at cost. She's tryin' to hustle one of her boys? Sheeeeit.

Nope, just a word of mouth thing put me in touch with her.

I made the move, so score one xb360 for me....without a teary eyed kid around to see it go. Guilt free gaming as soon as I set it up.  :lol:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 01:17:14 AM »

Quote from: "Booner"
Quote from: "Dafones"

Nope, just a word of mouth thing put me in touch with her.

I made the move, so score one xb360 for me....without a teary eyed kid around to see it go. Guilt free gaming as soon as I set it up.  :lol:

Awesome!  biggrin

Congrats on getting one!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: