http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Brutal Legend ..reviews coming in! (Official GT Review on Page 4)  (Read 11061 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 13, 2009, 08:03:35 AM

Did you ever play Sacrifice? Oh that's a silly question, of course you played one of the best RTS ever created. That's what the MP is like. I was reading QT3 earlier at work and Tom said you can only join games with your friends. Apparently everyone has a common pool so they did that to cut down on the griefing. No big deal, I probably wouldn't play with randoms anyways.

Not true.  Up to four players, and you can quickmatch to find other players.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »

my copy is in the mail, but not for a while.  bummer as i tried out the demo last night and it's pretty damn fun. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 13, 2009, 04:21:01 PM

my copy is in the mail, but not for a while.  bummer as i tried out the demo last night and it's pretty damn fun. 

What's up with all your games taking so long to be shipped?  icon_confused

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »

Picked mine up today at TRU, so hopefully I'll have impressions this afternoon.

EDIT:  Nope.  I did have a chance to play, but it was pretty much just the demo.  Looking forward to getting more time in, but it'll probably be tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:24:17 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2009, 07:08:43 PM »

Our full review is up and ready to read: http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1318

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 13, 2009, 07:08:43 PM

good read Ron.  a little surprised at how short it is though.  not a bad thing right now though, what with the whole gaming season kicking off.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

I really want to want Brutal Legend, and in many ways it's totally geared towards me. I am a total metalhead, the game's soundtrack is superb (far FAR better than any of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games), and the idea of playing a game in a world based on metal album covers sounds fantastic. But the reviews are really putting me off. 6-8 hours? RTS? RTS?! Plus, the first 2 hours are the best part?.... bah. I think I'll wait and borrow this one.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »

I think the 6-8 hour mark is for main story line only. I've seen ~15 hours if you actually do the sidequests.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on October 13, 2009, 07:51:14 PM

I think the 6-8 hour mark is for main story line only. I've seen ~15 hours if you actually do the sidequests.

Roughly, but the sidequests feel kinda pointless pretty quickly in my estimation.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »

Excellent review! As soon a I finish Uncharted 2 I'm moving onto this  thumbsup  thumbsup

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2009, 12:57:26 AM »

this game is great so far
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »

This is awesome.  I'm definitely glad I kept myself in the dark about it.  That's possibly the best main menu I've ever seen.  The humor is great, and I love how absolutely everything in the game screams METAL while throwing the horns.  It's like an issue of Heavy Metal magazine was given a plot, rendered in 3d, and stopped taking itself very seriously.  And yeah, I can definitely feel the influence of Sacrifice already.

Totally looking forward to going through the rest of it.  Might even try to 100% it.  Then I might finally replay Psychonauts.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:03 AM »

fun so far - and yes the "menu" is great.  might have supplanted riddick.

though im finding the rts parts a bit "clumsy" so far (and yes, i did play and like sacrifice - im hoping i get used to it)

best way to get used to it?  anyone up for multiplayer tomorrow night?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2009, 06:18:26 AM »

OH GOD. it keeps getting better. Over half way through so far and been doing every side mission as they come up too. I love the subtleness to it all. the car escape scene was fucking awesome too, way better than the first.
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »

Absolutely loving the game so far. Having metal songs be collectibles is just about the greatest thing ever.

Also started up a quick skirmish with the AI to try out the strategy portion, and I really dig it. Played as the doom metal faction and they have some really nifty tricksy stuff to them, especially having multiple units capable of hijacking enemy units!

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »

I played for about 3 hours last night and I'll echo the above comments.  I love this game.  This is the 1st game in a long time that I am sitting here at work looking forward to playing when I get home.  Without giving too much away the world really is like a Wizard of Oz for men who grew up in the 80s.  I was trying to remember what game the RTS portions reminded me of.  Sacrifice it is.  Thanks to whoever mentioned it.  That was driving me crazy.  I had no idea there was multiplayer.  I may try it but I am perfectly content with Brutal Legend soley as a single player game.  So far I'd give it an A+.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »

Nice review KD.  While technically correct in that Jennifer Hale did voice the Little Mermaid's Ariel she only did so in The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning.  The voice of Ariel in the remainder of the movies and TV shows was Jodi Benson.

It would be more interesting to note that Jennifer Hale provided the voice of Commander Shepard (Female) in Mass Effect and as Samus in the Metroid Prime games.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 14, 2009, 03:20:19 PM

Nice review KD.  While technically correct in that Jennifer Hale did voice the Little Mermaid's Ariel she only did so in The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning.  The voice of Ariel in the remainder of the movies and TV shows was Jodi Benson.

It would be more interesting to note that Jennifer Hale provided the voice of Commander Shepard (Female) in Mass Effect and as Samus in the Metroid Prime games.

I think she also might be the voice of my kid's toy dog that magically grows.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »

Anyone else not liking the core on foot combat?  It just doesn't flow as well as other games and things like crowd control are a problem too.  The enemy AI is programmed to attack endlessly, instead of doing the movie grunt mode where they tend to attack 1 at a time similar to how Batman Arkham Asylum handles combat.  Since the game constantly throws 3-5 enemies at you while you're alone, more if you're doing the RTS segment since you can only order your entire army around, this leads to some frustration.  My attacks are constantly interrupted, even if I use an ability to knock enemies away, I only get about 1-2 swings before all the other guys catch up and start hitting me again.  This means I have to game the system, or just sit there using Block.  Oh and blocking attacks still counts as getting hit, so if you're low on health you don't regenerate.

One simple change is to make going from attacking to blocking more instant.  Also making the enemies telegraph their attacks a bit better so that even if there's a delay between pressing the block button and blocking, you have a better idea of when to press the block button.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

I have yet to start the game and wondering what difficulty everybody recommends? Is normal challenging or to easy or to hard?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »

I'm just going to HAVE to get this despite my reservations on the game. It's just too METAL for me to ignore it. I was reviewing the soundtrack and there are too many superb, gems for me not to support the people who made it. I mean they have a song by Ostrogoth on there!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2009, 11:41:51 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on October 14, 2009, 10:28:32 PM

I have yet to start the game and wondering what difficulty everybody recommends? Is normal challenging or to easy or to hard?

I'm on normal. I find the RTS parts a bit easy, but eh whatever. no one can say because everyone's skills are different.

As for tutle, yes. range owns the game. during the ambush things those girls can destroy my entire group. The fact that you can't walk and block makes them near impossible at times. Most of the time I have to pull 1 by 1 to me from a far. usually I just rush them at the start, drop and an earth shaker and face melt and hope my melee guys dont die.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »

i started playing tonight and just finished the first meeting with the Killmaster...love what i've played so far.  the story is fun so far, the humor is great, and nothing beats starting a mission and hearing one of our favorite rock songs building in the background.  freeing the first group of guys in the mines to Def Leppard's 'Rock of Ages' was an awesome moment.  great setting, great characters, fun action, and awesome music...what more could a metalhead want?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »

I just finished the same part as disarm.

I wish I liked metal music more (actually, no I don't, but it would help with this game).  Even without that, though, the game is a ton of fun and very funny/charming.

Character animations are great, and the voice cast is doing a good job capturing the spirit (and the wink-wink characters, some of whom I don't get [see the start of the second sentence]).  Really, the whole personality of the game is fantastic.  It fully embraces the spirit of metal, without alienating people who don't really care about that.  In fact, it draws you in, despite how you feel about the music (though I will say I always thought the covers were kind of cheesy-awesome). 

I know KD said the side missions were pointless, but I still enjoy them.  I spend way too much time tooling around the world, looking for dragons and relics, and hopping into a side-mission helps break it up.  I usually can't stand races in open-world games, but I love doing them here, and it helps to explore the world more, finding even more awesome dragons.

The only draw back for a non-metal head is that driving around in the car can get a little grating with the radio on.  The game is helping me enjoy some of the music more, and some of it I liked to begin with (there are even a few songs I didn't know but like), but it can get to be too much.  It helps when I just bang my head and go with it, though, and the fun of the game makes that much easier.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

I forgot to mention that I friggin' loved the Ozzie bits.  The animations really play up his inherent ridiculousness.

Gooter
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »

According to those links you posted, Jennifer Hale was the voice of Alana in TLM:AB not Ariel.  Jodi Benson was still the voice of Ariel in that movie.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

Hey gang I bought the special move called (I think) Electric Slide, where you press X while running (360 version) and it's supposed to perform a move.  When I move and press X it just does a guitar attack...am I missing something?
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 07:16:43 PM

Hey gang I bought the special move called (I think) Electric Slide, where you press X while running (360 version) and it's supposed to perform a move.  When I move and press X it just does a guitar attack...am I missing something?

I think it is Power Slide and to run you have to press down on the left stick and then press X while running.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

Quote from: Owain on October 15, 2009, 07:27:22 PM

I think it is Power Slide and to run you have to press down on the left stick and then press X while running.

Ah, I wasn't pressing down on the stick, I'll give that a shot...thanks man!
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »

Quote from: Gooter on October 15, 2009, 06:40:10 PM

According to those links you posted, Jennifer Hale was the voice of Alana in TLM:AB not Ariel.  Jodi Benson was still the voice of Ariel in that movie.

Quite right.  I was aware that Jodi Benson had done the voice of Ariel so when I saw Jennifer's name listed I just did a quick IMDB search and saw her listed in TLM:AB but didn't check any further.  Since it was a straight to video affair I just assumed she did the voice for that one.

The only draw back for a non-metal head is that driving around in the car can get a little grating with the radio on.  The game is helping me enjoy some of the music more, and some of it I liked to begin with (there are even a few songs I didn't know but like), but it can get to be too much.  It helps when I just bang my head and go with it, though, and the fun of the game makes that much easier.

You can pull up the music menu and deselect songs so that they no longer play from the Mouth Of Metal while in the car.   Of course, with a shortened playlist be prepared to hear the same songs over and over again.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 15, 2009, 07:27:58 PM

Hey gang I bought the special move called (I think) Electric Slide, where you press X while running (360 version) and it's supposed to perform a move.  When I move and press X it just does a guitar attack...am I missing something?

To do the Electric Slide, it's Right, Down, Right, Left, Down, Left, Down+Melee, Up+Melee, Right, then Rotate the stick 1/4 to the left.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2009, 07:38:10 PM

Hey gang I bought the special move called (I think) Electric Slide, where you press X while running (360 version) and it's supposed to perform a move.  When I move and press X it just does a guitar attack...am I missing something?

To do the Electric Slide, it's Right, Down, Right, Left, Down, Left, Down+Melee, Up+Melee, Right, then Rotate the stick 1/4 to the left.

icon_lol

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 15, 2009, 07:49:53 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 15, 2009, 07:38:10 PM

icon_lol

Just wait until you have to do The Hustle...  slywink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 15, 2009, 07:37:03 PM

You can pull up the music menu and deselect songs so that they no longer play from the Mouth Of Metal while in the car.   Of course, with a shortened playlist be prepared to hear the same songs over and over again.

you can also turn off the Mouth of Metal completely by pressing 'down' on the d-pad, although i have absolutely no idea why anyone would ever want to do that

*Gamertag - disarm78*
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2009, 02:13:10 AM »

It's pretty fun and very funny, but the lack of an arrow or some directional thing is pissing me off. I set a beacon, then turn around and look where a column of light is in the sky and head towards that. Kinda frustrating in a world so insane as this one. Also, I can see the RTS aspect getting very old very quick, but that's me. It's like a thrash metal version of Overlord.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2009, 02:27:37 AM »

You do know that the turn signals on your car will light up to point you in the direction of the beacon, right? It's subtle, so easy to miss if you're not looking for it, but once you know to look, it's easy to see.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2009, 03:14:03 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 17, 2009, 02:27:37 AM

You do know that the turn signals on your car will light up to point you in the direction of the beacon, right? It's subtle, so easy to miss if you're not looking for it, but once you know to look, it's easy to see.

exactly...follow the turn signals on the deuce.  not only do they come on to tell you which direction to turn, but they also update in such a way that they'll usually direct you down the appropriate roads rather than just a direct cross-country route.  if you see both lights on at the same time, it means you're travelling away from your goal and need to pull a 180...no lights and you're going the right way.  it's a great system that functions very well, while at the same time not standing out as an obvious part of the interface.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2009, 06:27:37 AM »

man i see people having problems with the racing all over the place. I thought this is one of the easiest racing in forever. usually you have no idea where the course is and one mistake means you're fucked. but not so here. plus it's fairly easy to see where the light is going to go next and i think it jumps ahead fairly well to show before you even reach it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »

beat it. this game is freaking great.

I don't know why people are so harsh on the gameplay. I thought it was great. I had a lot of fun throughout the entire game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: October 17, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »

Beat it as well, you can go back, drive around and do stuff you missed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Looks like they're setting up the sequel, likely involving more Black Water and her past.  Weird to be thinking about a sequel for a double fine game.  slywink

I heard there's one extra bit of story, or something silly that's spoiler worthy after the game, but haven't found it yet.  I'm hoping for a bit more info on how Ophelia is doing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: