http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:57:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Brutal Legend ..reviews coming in! (Official GT Review on Page 4)  (Read 11056 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2009, 03:14:41 AM »

Ad during Monday Night Football? Psychonauts this is not.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:50 AM »

Didn't Schafer also plug this when he was on the late night talk show?

Here's hoping this makes up for Psychonauts failing to sell.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2009, 03:57:35 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 06, 2009, 03:55:50 AM

Didn't Schafer also plug this when he was on the late night talk show?

Here's hoping this makes up for Psychonauts failing to sell.

His being on Fallon was a plug in and of itself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 01, 2009, 11:44:00 PM

I was sold when he picked up Clementine, tested it, electrocutes the guy, and does that neck thing.  Had me rolling....which then led into the 'prayer'...and then the creating of the Druid Plow.  I sure hope the game maintains the level of humor the whole way through, because I was really into it.

I thought the humor was brilliant, but I doubt they can maintain that level throughout the entire game. Every 30 seconds contained awesomeness....and Jack Black was phenomenal.

I'm also concerned about the RTS portion, which you didn't get to experience in the demo. If it plays mostly like Sacrifice, it may be horrible unless the controls are flawless.  
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »

the rts bit is going to be in the (single player) game???

i thought that was the multiplayer mode only?  and the multiplayer looked like "the outfit-lite" which i think could play over really well (im a big fan of the original outfit game)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:32 AM »

Played the demo, it was awesome.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 06, 2009, 10:41:32 PM

the rts bit is going to be in the (single player) game???

i thought that was the multiplayer mode only?  and the multiplayer looked like "the outfit-lite" which i think could play over really well (im a big fan of the original outfit game)

I was under the impression that part of the single player game was similar to something like Sacrifice.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 06, 2009, 08:25:49 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 01, 2009, 11:44:00 PM

I was sold when he picked up Clementine, tested it, electrocutes the guy, and does that neck thing.  Had me rolling....which then led into the 'prayer'...and then the creating of the Druid Plow.  I sure hope the game maintains the level of humor the whole way through, because I was really into it.

I thought the humor was brilliant, but I doubt they can maintain that level throughout the entire game.

Haaaaave you met Tim Shafer?

TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »

You know, this would probably be the first game I would ever be willing to shell out extra dollars for a collectors edition.

Naturally, there isn't one.

Seriously, why not do a CE of this game with the soundtrack, artbook, maybe a Brutal Legends banner, a jacket patch (they were giving these away at ComicCon), or even an Eddie Riggs figurine?   

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »

or even better, team up with Harmonix and do a CE with an axe shaped guitar controller you can use for Rock Band.  that would be awesome.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 27, 2009, 05:01:13 PM

I played the demo and have to say I wasn't that impressed.  I still don't think Jack Black is the right fit for the main character, and since the main draw is Schafer's humor and writing that is basically ruined by having it delivered by Jack Black being Jack Black.  It also seems like that combat is going to get old if that's all there is to do through the game.  I'll still buy it and hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic. 

I'll agree but for a different reason.  I didn't think the combat mechanic was up to par.  Felt very generic, but I've been spoiled by Batman.

I liked the story, dialogue, and the original concept......but something just felt off.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on October 07, 2009, 01:06:17 PM

You know, this would probably be the first game I would ever be willing to shell out extra dollars for a collectors edition.

Seriously, why not do a CE of this game with the soundtrack, artbook, maybe a Brutal Legends banner, a jacket patch (they were giving these away at ComicCon), or even an Eddie Riggs figurine?   

If you pre-order at Best Buy (not sure if it's elsewhere, too), you get an old fashioned LP sleeve, as seen in the credits.  Not sure what all you get with it, though.  I imagine it's pretty plain.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 07, 2009, 08:01:13 PM

Quote from: TK-421 on October 07, 2009, 01:06:17 PM

If you pre-order at Best Buy (not sure if it's elsewhere, too), you get an old fashioned LP sleeve, as seen in the credits.  Not sure what all you get with it, though.  I imagine it's pretty plain.

You get... the sleeve.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2009, 03:09:24 PM

or even better, team up with Harmonix and do a CE with an axe shaped guitar controller you can use for Rock Band.  that would be awesome.

When this game was announced and with Activision I was fostering hopes of special segments that required the use of a guitar controller. There could have been some potential there.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:10 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on October 07, 2009, 07:08:44 PM

I played the demo and have to say I wasn't that impressed.  I still don't think Jack Black is the right fit for the main character, and since the main draw is Schafer's humor and writing that is basically ruined by having it delivered by Jack Black being Jack Black.  It also seems like that combat is going to get old if that's all there is to do through the game.  I'll still buy it and hope for the best, but I'm not optimistic. 

I'll agree but for a different reason.  I didn't think the combat mechanic was up to par.  Felt very generic, but I've been spoiled by Batman.

I liked the story, dialogue, and the original concept......but something just felt off.

There's a lot more to the combat than the demo lets on. Once you get further into the game you learn a lot of new riffs (spells) and you control squads of minions RTS-style. Don't bank too much on the basic attacks in combat.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 08, 2009, 05:13:10 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on October 07, 2009, 07:08:44 PM

There's a lot more to the combat than the demo lets on. Once you get further into the game you learn a lot of new riffs (spells) and you control squads of minions RTS-style. Don't bank too much on the basic attacks in combat.

As Ridah said (he went to a multiplayer event) - the game does quite a bit more than the demo lets on.  I'll have a day-1 review for you guys.   All I can say is that it far exceeds my expectations.   It deserves these...

dude headbang3 headbang bowdown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »

Tim Shafter playing Brutal Legends live on gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/today-on-the-spot/?event=now_playing_brutal_legend20091009&tag=topslot;thumb;1
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »

Now I just have to decide whether to get this on 360 or PS3 (now that I have a PS3 once again...)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:47:00 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2009, 02:58:43 PM »

Two reviews up from IGN.

USA: 9.0
Closing Comments
Brutal Legend is a tour de force that wraps up humor, music, and clever gameplay into one highly polished package. You haven't played a game quite like this before and won't want to miss it. Tim Schafer is one of the funniest guys in games and Jack Black is one of the funniest guys in movies -- together they'll keep you ROFLing (although the laughs do taper off as you work your way through the game). Brutal Legend isn't quite perfect and there is room for improvement (it's a little short, side quests are repetitive...), but when the credits roll you'll find yourself hoping for a sophomore release. Double Fine created a rich heavy metal universe and backstory full of great characters and creatures, with potential for an out-of-this-world sequel. Here's hoping Schafer and company get a chance to take us there.

AU: 9.3
Closing Comments
Charming and clever in equal portions, Brütal Legend is a classic example of cohesive game design. Even with a few minor flaws, it's undeniably a production of significant merit. We hope, then, that the subject matter and the light-hearted approach taken are enough of a draw to pull in the players. After all, in an age of ever-increasing monotony and creative stagnation, a game like Brütal Legend is brash, proud, subversive and triumphant - and it deserves to succeed. Get on board, crank it up and make it so. Two horns up.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »

cool.  i had some reservations about reserving this, but i snagged it up with the TRU deal as a maybe swap for something later.  glad to hear it's a kick-ass game to boot.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »

Frustrating that I can't post MY review until noon tomorrow, but I'm giving it a 90%.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »

damn ron, that's lame.  maybe you should change every mention of brutal legend with something else and post it as a review of 'barbie horse adventure' or something. 

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »

damn ron, that's lame.  maybe you should change every mention of brutal legend with something else and post it as a review of 'barbie horse adventure' or something.

That would cause Lockdown to become furious with the site and question Ron's integrity because, have played through "Barbie Horse Adventure" multiple times, he would take issue with the review.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 12, 2009, 06:45:53 PM

That would cause Lockdown to become furious with the site and question Ron's integrity because, have played through "Barbie Horse Adventure" multiple times, he would take issue with the review.

at least it would make for a fun thread.  and who knows, maybe captain caveman would be enticed enough to post here again.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 12, 2009, 05:49:02 PM

Frustrating that I can't post MY review until noon tomorrow, but I'm giving it a 90%.
wow 90%?!

/cancels preorder

I don't buy games unless it's 95 or higher.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »

Eurogamer liked it, although not as much as most.

8/10

this part stood out
zip about in a flame-splattered Epona stand-in called The Deuce, a fat-tyred roadster which can be upgraded by Ozzy Osbourne himself as the game progresses, until it's a low-riding white-trash Batmobile, tearing across the landscape with gatling guns, homing rockets and flames shooting out of side-mounted exhausts.

beware, there is a small spoiler on page two regarding the RTS side.  skip ahead if that's an annoyance

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2009, 01:09:01 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 12, 2009, 05:49:02 PM

noon what time zone. I was thinking of getting it at lunch est.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:32 AM »

lots of IGN forum complaints that a lot did not know a huge portion of this game is RTS
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:17 AM »

lots of IGN forum complaints that a lot did not know a huge portion of this game is RTS

i wont know if ill be "complaining" about it until i play the game, but definitely put me in the category of people who had no clue about this.  in fact, in an earlier post in this thread i think i mentioned i thought the rts sections were completely separate and part of the multiplayer game ONLY.  i think itll be fun as part of single player, but ya i had no clue
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »

also - this isnt out tomorrow???  or was this a YMMV thing?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2009, 02:41:16 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 13, 2009, 02:33:17 AM

i wont know if ill be "complaining" about it until i play the game, but definitely put me in the category of people who had no clue about this.  in fact, in an earlier post in this thread i think i mentioned i thought the rts sections were completely separate and part of the multiplayer game ONLY.  i think itll be fun as part of single player, but ya i had no clue

same here, though the RTS was a MP game mode only.  they should put out a demo with the RTS portion.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:39 AM »

I thought the rts style was a part of the single player game but MP was ONLY the rts type.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2009, 04:12:47 AM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 13, 2009, 01:54:32 AM

That'd be because the lots of people haven't played the game.  There are RTS elements, but they aren't "a huge portion of the game".   Ugh.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 04:12:59 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 13, 2009, 03:51:39 AM

I thought the rts style was a part of the single player game but MP was ONLY the rts type.
Exactly.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »

shipped from amazon! excitement BUILD!

no one got this on a midnight launch?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

Oh yeah, what's the word on the MP anyway?  The game itself is fun and I hear the RTS stuff was surprisingly fun.  This bodes well for the MP, but otherwise haven't heard about stuff like lobbies, game setups, number of players, etc.

Is there any sort of split screen or multiple players on one console?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »

Did you ever play Sacrifice? Oh that's a silly question, of course you played one of the best RTS ever created. That's what the MP is like. I was reading QT3 earlier at work and Tom said you can only join games with your friends. Apparently everyone has a common pool so they did that to cut down on the griefing. No big deal, I probably wouldn't play with randoms anyways.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »

I'm probably in the minority here, but having a large RTS component actually reduces my interest in BL pretty significantly.  I was (eventually) going to pick it up if it was a solid action title - which is was all the marketing and demo were pointing to - but I generally don't care much for RTS titles so I'll give this one a miss until it gets low in the bargin bin.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2009, 12:30:59 PM »

My copy's on the way! I also notified the GF that I'll be knee deep in rokk for the night.  Woo!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 13, 2009, 11:49:01 AM

I'm probably in the minority here, but having a large RTS component actually reduces my interest in BL pretty significantly.  I was (eventually) going to pick it up if it was a solid action title - which is was all the marketing and demo were pointing to - but I generally don't care much for RTS titles so I'll give this one a miss until it gets low in the bargin bin.

I would feel the same way, but for one thing: Tim Shafer.  Wasn't there a strategy element to the military field in Psychonauts, or am I just thinking of it that way because the level was set on a play battlefield?

Anyway, I'm heading to TRU in an hour to pick it up, but I won't get to play until after lunch.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: