http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:48:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 BC winding down  (Read 1582 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:07:39 AM »

It appears that MS feels they have fulfilled their promise to provide backwards compatibility to Xbox 360 owners, we're sitting on a 65% BC according to GameSpot. Here's the news bit:

From GD:

==========
In November of last year, the Xbox 360 received another backwards compatibility update bringing the total number of supported original Xbox games to over 450. That update may have been the last, however, according to group marketing manager Albert Penello.

Speaking to Kotaku, Penello noted, "I don't know if we have plans to do any more releases. It feels like we kind of hit the point of diminishing returns there. I know with the Xbox Originals, there are still things happening there, but in terms of a lot of engineering work around bringing out new titles, I think they're winding that down."

Penello said that Microsoft at this point has upheld its promise from a corporate standpoint to make its most popular original Xbox titles playable on Xbox 360. "For the most part, we've crossed off games that people want to play," he said. "There's always going to be a notable exception here or there."

He added, "At this point the stuff that's left is work per title, every title now is almost a one-off. Right now we have to think, are we really going to do 300 one-off titles? I know it's not exactly the answer everyone wants to hear, but I feel like it's time."

Penello also feels it's not very important to most Xbox 360 users at this point because Microsoft's data shows that the number of backward compatible games being played on Live is not very high and backward compatibility updates are "not being downloaded that much anymore."
==========

They should definately use Xbox Originals as a tool to bring out the few gems that didn't make it BC, namely Beyond Good & Evil.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:21:57 AM »

I am glad that I still have orignal XBOX, even I didn't play any games for....ever since XBOX360 came out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:18:28 AM »

So we don't get BC for 1/3 of the entire Xbox library including AAA titles like Beyond Good & Evil, The Chronicles of Riddick and Rallisport 2, and we're supposed to be happy. Everytime I think Microsoft has turned a page and left their blunders of the past behind, some spokesperson pipes up and says something asinine like this. Honestly, they make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills!  headbang3
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »

Picked up Riddick the othe day before finding out that it's not BC and probably won't be.
Means I have to play it downstairs, on a 480i TV. Bah!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:01:24 AM »

Shortly after purchasing my 360, I bought a brand new original X-Box to hook up in place of my ailing one.  Since then, I've used the system to play games like Stranger's Wrath, Dark Alliance II, Ninja Gaiden: Black (before the BC was brought up to snuff), Indigo Prophecy, and Psi-Ops.  In the near future, I intend to play through games like Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, The Warriors, and Star Wars: Republic Commando because I passed on them during their original release and wound up picking them up on the cheap years later.  I also spend as much time using my Wii and PS3 to play original GameCube and PS2 games as I do for new releases.  Believe me: I *really* value backwards compatibility.

Now, if it's true that from this point forward they'd have to write an individual emulator for every one or two games left off the current BC list, I can see where Microsoft is coming from here.  Devoted gamers like us might be wishing for high quality, but low popularity games like Beyond Good & Evil and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath to finally get the BC treatment they deserve, but my sense is that we represent a very small percentage of the overall 360 user base.  How many man-hours can we really expect them to pour into satisfying the tiny minority of people who still want to play games that an even smaller minority ever even bought?

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:05:59 AM »

The MS BS is cranking up.

They pull this stunt every once in a while to see what kind of outrage it gets.  If it's a justifiably low amount, they'll probably stop the program.  Seems like a weird time, though, when they just added Xbox Originals to the mix.  It may be because they'd rather have people pay for games again rather than play games they already own.

On a side note, the 360 recently borked a bunch of my saves for BC titles.  I'd just put a lot of work into the original GTA III, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »

Out of all the XBOX360 gamers that I know only one or two person plays XBOX games once in a blue moon.
As much as I would love to see more titles to be BC, I would rather see more titles for XBOX 360.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 05:14:59 AM »

Why work towards BC for a game, when they can just release it as an Xbox Original...at an inflated price?

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 05:23:18 AM »

Sony moving away from BC probably plays a factor in this too.  First the 40 gig with no BC and now no more new BC PS3's in Japan.  They do have older PS1 games available for download though, for a price.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:31:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2008, 05:23:18 AM

Sony moving away from BC probably plays a factor in this too.  First the 40 gig with no BC and now no more new BC PS3's in Japan.  They do have older PS1 games available for download though, for a price.

It may be a factor, but if it is it should only be a small one. The Wii is still the #1 selling console right now and it has 100% BC. If Microsoft is foolish enough to think that they can shrug off the remaining 1/3 because Sony's no longer BC, then they should think again.

I still think it's shameful that Microsoft hasn't provided BC for all of their own games. With the BS approach Microsoft has taken to BC, I wouldn't be surprised if games like Midtown Madness 3 and Rallisport 2 are only made available on XBLA as original downloads.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »

Yeah, but the GC has what, 6 games released for it worth playing? Any games on the GC have a newer iteration released on the Wii with it's controls instead.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 11, 2008, 05:14:59 AM

Why work towards BC for a game, when they can just release it as an Xbox Original...at an inflated price?
People probably won't complain about EOLing the BC updates, but they're not going to put a game up on Originals if it's not already BC.  If they did, you can be sure people will be screaming bloody murder.

Yeah, ending BC sucks, but honestly, they've hit the vast majority of games people actually care about.  And at least they didn't advertise 100% compatibility, then strip it from their consoles moving forward.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:44:12 PM by Laner » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 11, 2008, 01:38:16 PM

Yeah, ending BC sucks, but honestly, they've hit the vast majority of games people actually care about.

+1 ... and I can't remember the last time I fired up an Xbox1 game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »

Exactly.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on January 11, 2008, 02:52:33 PM

Exactly.

We'll see but so far no titles have been announced for the Originals line that weren't already BC.

However, if MS has well and truly hit a wall on some titles using straight up emulation and they opt to bring in the publishers to try and get an actual port of a title, I can see needing to pay for the title then. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

I play Xbox games once or twice a month, sometimes for extended periods.  I do the same with Gamecube games.

I have two neighbors who bought Wiis recently.  One of the things they liked about them was that they could buy GC games for their kids cheap (although they didn't like that they had to get other controllers).

I do think it's a factor.  Then again, I think MS feel like they've met that factor.  They can trumpet BC to the average consumer and not be lying.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

For what its worth, Riddick is going to be re-released for the 360 with extra content.

In December, when I thought it was going to be a while longer before I bought a 360, I replaced the DVD drive on my original XBox (it was about $50 total). So now I have the 360 on my one hdtv and the PS2, Wii and XBox on an sdtv.  So I am in good shape now, but hopefully I will get another hdtv in the not too distant future and I don't want 50 consoles hanging off the thing.  I better get cracking on my old games.   I have Splinter Cell 3 and 4 and I'll probably try to play those on the 360 because they support 480p widescreen.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 11, 2008, 03:11:07 PM

Exactly.

We'll see but so far no titles have been announced for the Originals line that weren't already BC.

However, if MS has well and truly hit a wall on some titles using straight up emulation and they opt to bring in the publishers to try and get an actual port of a title, I can see needing to pay for the title then. 

According to the Surfer Girl precictions that EngineNo9 recently quoted in a post, Midtown Madness 3 is slated as a XBL original release.
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,24239.0.html

I would cut Microsoft some slack on not making every 3rd party title in the remaining 1/3 BC, but I can't see them justifying not making everyone of their own games BC. I personally don't give a rats ass what the cost is to Microsoft for doing this. I  just want to see them stand behind their own products.

And in response to an earlier claim that the GameCube doesn't have enough titles worth playing; there's roughly 20 AAA exlusives alone not to mention many AAA 3rd party ports.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:41:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 04:48:11 PM »

Krono, I should have put a smiley... GC game release schedules were sparse throught it's lifespan. It was just sour grapes talking there. smile

And I think that if they don't make MM3 BC but sell it as original that they're being assholes.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

Exactly.

I think this is the most likely thing as well-but with sony completely reneging on their "BC for life" mantra with the 40gb and rumored other future SKUs, I guess they figured they didn't need to worry about it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 05:10:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 11, 2008, 04:48:11 PM

Krono, I should have put a smiley... GC game release schedules were sparse throught it's lifespan. It was just sour grapes talking there. smile

And I think that if they don't make MM3 BC but sell it as original that they're being assholes.

NP Purge, I figured as much smile

Not having MM3 to play is a real bummer for me, I miss it a lot and so does my son. Unfortunately in my home environment having my original XBox hooked up wasn't a possibility without disconnecting my PS2 or Wii. I wouldn't be so miffed about MM3 not having BC if it weren't for the fact that there's really no similar game in the 360 pipeline. I'm not totally going for want, as I still have Flatout and NFS:MW to fill part of the void, but for me they just aren't MM3.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »

MM3 was a blast, and very kid-friendly.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »

The 360's BC is ass for half the titles I've tried, and fine for the other half. Ridiculous slowdown in combat with Jade Empire. Fairly frequent crashes with Fable. Unplayable slowdown when in areas with lots of enemies in Dark Alliance 2. Crimson Skies works fine. Occasional framerate stutters in KotOR but definitely playable.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »

Yeah... I think it's just because the general public does not really care about BC (enough for it to significantly effect sales).

It's been kind of an interesting road to finding this out:

360 says limited BC.
PS3 says full BC.
PS3 says ok maybe not full BC.
PS3 says ok no BC at all.
360 says ok fine we're going to stop too.

gellar
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 12, 2008, 05:01:34 PM

Yeah... I think it's just because the general public does not really care about BC (enough for it to significantly effect sales).
gellar

Agree.  I think the diehard gamers, such as most of us here, would prefer to have it, but the general public doesn't for the most part.  Hell, most of them have never even heard of 1/10 of the games we discuss around here.  They know Halo, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero and a few others, but as for all the gems we discuss regularly around here, they are clueless.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 11, 2008, 07:05:56 PM

The 360's BC is ass for half the titles I've tried, and fine for the other half. Ridiculous slowdown in combat with Jade Empire. Fairly frequent crashes with Fable. Unplayable slowdown when in areas with lots of enemies in Dark Alliance 2. Crimson Skies works fine. Occasional framerate stutters in KotOR but definitely playable.

Really? Never had a single problem with Jade Empire, and both my wife and I played that game to the end.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 12, 2008, 06:09:20 PM

Quote from: Farscry on January 11, 2008, 07:05:56 PM

Really? Never had a single problem with Jade Empire, and both my wife and I played that game to the end.

I should try again then, perhaps they updated it with a later BC update, it's been a while since I last tried it.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 08:04:42 PM »

As much as I really want to see the BC updates continue, I have to honestly say I've only used it for a few games anyway.  As time goes on I look to my original Xbox games less and less because there are so many other new (or newer) games that I want to play. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: