http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 BC for halo and halo 2 and...  (Read 2705 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/665/665729p1.html

Fsaa, 720p, widescreen. WOW :shock: . Nice job bungie.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »

Heh, at this rate, Halo 2 is going to be the killer ap for the Xbox 360 launch the way the launch titles are dropping like flies....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:58:01 PM »

Since I still play Halo2 twice a week online, and the lack of very exciting launch titles was starting to depress me slightly, this is nice news.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »

I am confused..

"To clarify, the 'new' version of Halo or Halo 2 is simply the disk you have already. Pop it into your 360 and it'll load up just like before. You will have to log into Xbox Live to enable Halo 2's online functions, but both games will work immediately.

This would seem to imply that no new coding is needed, does that mean that all Xbox games (which work) will be able to do this?

Or did they somehow put into the 360 special instructions for the Halo games?

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »

It's all done via software emulation.  YOu load an Xbox title into the 360, it goes onto Live and checks to see 1) if it's backwards compatable and 2) what patches are necessary to download to run.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:41:22 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
It's all done via software emulation.  YOu load an Xbox title into the 360, it goes onto Live and checks to see 1) if it's backwards compatable and 2) what patches are necessary to download to run.

So Live access is required?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 03:29:03 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Zarkon"

So Live access is required?

Yep, you need to at least have the Silver (free) service and a hard drive to get the backwords compatability to work.

How else could you download the patches? Eventually they will probabily be on the OXM demo DVD, but for now the only way is through live, but since it's free I don't see what the big deal is.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:39:48 PM »

Hetz.... the downloadable patches are for games that are added post-launch. Let's say that Phantom Dust wasn't backwards compatible at the time of launch, and a month down the road it is... you would need to either:

Connect to live to download the BC patch and store it on the hard disk ( the Silver (free) live will still get patches.)

Go to a kiosk to get the patch (there was mention of this about a month or two ago). So NO you don't NEED to have broadband access to get the patches.

Who knows, they may even mail out discs to people or be able to get them from OXM disks. ::shrug::

I'm sure the HDD has all of the BC titles they've already fixed. So in the case of Halo / Halo 2, the patches don't require download. The article only speaks about online to enable the online functionality of Halo2.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »

That's the way I understand it too, Purge.  And Hetz, the big deal would be for people who don't have broadband or don't have a way to connect their Xbox to the internet (wireless or otherwise).

Now, has anyone heard anything about launch BC and what we can expect?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 08:22:49 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
How else could you download the patches? Eventually they will probabily be on the OXM demo DVD, but for now the only way is through live, but since it's free I don't see what the big deal is.

Even given the assumption that the person has broadband, you will need either:

1) The Xbox in close enough proximity to the router for an ethernet cable.  I imagine that many people have their PCs (with router) in an office whlle their consoles reside in the living room.  Running that much cable is likely not attractive to most.

2) Wireless adapter for Xbox which, I believe, costs in the realm of $100.

So, yeah, I can see why it would be a big deal to many.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124105

45 bucks for wireless access.  (Provided you already have a router)  This is the unit I have - I'll confirm in the next few days if it works with the 360.  Watch for a sale at Frys and they'll PAY you to take the things.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »

I think this is pretty cool.I want to play enhanced versions of Halo 1 and 2!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 11:51:29 PM »

And on the BC front, apparently we'll get an announcement tomorrow:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1579&Itemid=2

Harry F. Ishnuts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 12:36:55 AM »

You must be thinking about the launch titles for your vaporware PS3.

-HFI-
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 02:58:35 AM »

Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts"

-HFI-

Dude, cut this shit out. Please.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 03:58:11 AM »

Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts"

So how long until he's banned?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 05:09:17 AM »

Calvin, you stink. Go wash... you're attracting trolls. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 05:27:38 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Calvin, you stink. Go wash... you're attracting trolls. biggrin

How is this my fault? When I changed name I became site mascot, remember? Plus, no more rage??!! I never get credit for being so nice and fuzzy and warm all the time....!!

Then the trolls just follow me in...seeking my downfall. Nay!! Nay I say!! You will fail foul trolls.

I have no idea what any of that meant, fyi.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 05:55:12 AM »

at 720 with full anti-aliasing
Granted, I'm easily confused, but I have a few questions for the tech-knows in our group.  First of all, if you have a non-HD TV (Sony Wega, so no slouch, but not HD for sure)... does any of this mean anything to me?

Also, the whole router thing - if you have a router, and you run a cable to your XBox, why do you need the wireless adapter? Anyone who answers, please talk as if you were explaining why the sky is blue to a 5 year old... this all just boggles my mind!  :oops:

And Mr. Ishnuts (nice name, btw, very clever... *irony exuding*) stay away from my buddy Calvin, or you will face the wrath of Susie - and if you don't know what that is - then you haven't been here long enough to be making trollish comments!  :\ But, play nice, and you'll love it here!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 06:07:40 AM »

Susie!! Come back!! No more crazy pictures of the Khajit!!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 06:22:28 AM »

Well, since Oblivion has been delayed so horribly long... I guess it won't hurt to turn our conversations into comic strips again, lol!   Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 06:39:49 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

Well, since Oblivion has been delayed so horribly long... I guess it won't hurt to turn our conversations into comic strips again, lol!   Tongue

WOOOT SUSIE IS BACK!! Ok, now that I personally am done being happy about it, I will return to my Calvin roots and say this to you:

EWWWW!! GIRLS!! GROSS!!

p.s. why haven't you been on the baords that much lately?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 06:49:14 AM »

p.s. why haven't you been on the baords that much lately?

Three words: Ratchet: Deadlocked! - Online!

Wanna play?  Post in multiplayer if so, or PM me...

Not to totally warp the topic, um - can't wait for XB live, Silver - and I have no doubt Gold pretty quickly, depending on the release date of Oblivion.  Too bad I'll have no money left to look at HD tv's, though!  :cry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 07:05:35 AM »

Who likes Susie?  NOT ME, THAT'S FOR SURE!!!

Seriously, your icons look like they want to hug and that makes me happy.  It also creeps me out a little, but mostly it's the happy thing.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 02:21:19 PM »

Anyone who answers, please talk as if you were explaining why the sky is blue to a 5 year old... this all just boggles my mind!  :oops:

Rayleigh Scattering is why the sky is "blue".  I spent an entire lecture in college in my Physical Meteorology class (yes, I'm a bonifide Meteorologist) just talking about why and how the sky is blue.  If you're that interested I can send you an email with a complete and delicious discussion.
 biggrin

P.S. myto - my son is still playing with the yo-yo stuff you sent him.  THANKS!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »

at 720 with full anti-aliasing
Granted, I'm easily confused, but I have a few questions for the tech-knows in our group.  First of all, if you have a non-HD TV (Sony Wega, so no slouch, but not HD for sure)... does any of this mean anything to me?

Also, the whole router thing - if you have a router, and you run a cable to your XBox, why do you need the wireless adapter? Anyone who answers, please talk as if you were explaining why the sky is blue to a 5 year old... this all just boggles my mind!  :oops:

If you don't have a HDTV then the additional resolutions (720p/1080i) don't do anything for you but you will still benefit from the anti-aliasing which will make noticeable jaggies in the graphics go away.

As to the router- if you run a cable from the Xbox to the router then you don't need the wireless adapter.  Wireless is just for people where the distance between their Xbox and router is so far that running a cable becomes prohibitive.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 07:37:57 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Kevin Grey - perfect explanation, now I get it, hopefully I can remember it now! Anti-aliasing, interesting term...

As for the cable, my router is maybe 15 feet from the altar I'm building for my new 360, so I'll save money there for a while.  Also, lol - you're talking to someone who has, as we speak, a bright blue cable running up my living room wall from the router.  It goes around a corner, along the upstairs balcony, across the top of the stairs, into the bedroom, behind the dresser and gigantic dog crate, into the back of the entertainment center, then to the back of the PS2 that I play Deadlocked on... It's a 50 ft. cable...   Trust wireless that far away? Not me, apparently! :lol:

You're welcome, Starshifter - glad he's still enjoying them!  And if you're going to tell me why the sky is blue - you'd better tell me before Oblivion comes out, cz once it does - I won't care IF it is, let alone, why!  :twisted:

Bullwinkle - what's not to love about Susie?  Just curious...  :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Kevin Grey - perfect explanation, now I get it, hopefully I can remember it now! Anti-aliasing, interesting term...

As for the cable, my router is maybe 15 feet from the altar I'm building for my new 360, so I'll save money there for a while.  Also, lol - you're talking to someone who has, as we speak, a bright blue cable running up my living room wall from the router.  It goes around a corner, along the upstairs balcony, across the top of the stairs, into the bedroom, behind the dresser and gigantic dog crate, into the back of the entertainment center, then to the back of the PS2 that I play Deadlocked on... It's a 50 ft. cable...   Trust wireless that far away? Not me, apparently! :lol:

You're welcome, Starshifter - glad he's still enjoying them!  And if you're going to tell me why the sky is blue - you'd better tell me before Oblivion comes out, cz once it does - I won't care IF it is, let alone, why!  :twisted:

Bullwinkle - what's not to love about Susie?  Just curious...  :wink:

Here is a fairly simple explanation-there is really no need for an entire semester's worth of info on this smile

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »

I can't believe how many people are willing to answer my hypothetical question - or more like allusional or exemplar question...  :lol:

So, Calvin, you may not know this, unless Maryland gets way more snow than I think - or you're a northern transplant...  but did you know that if you put a hole in deep enough snow - the inside of the hole glows blue?  Cool, huh?  If you ever get, say, two feet of snow, just plunge your foot down through it, add a little sunlight... and bingo - the sky is now on the ground (sort of, lol)...  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 08:36:49 PM »

So, Calvin, you may not know this, unless Maryland gets way more snow than I think - or you're a northern transplant...  but did you know that if you put a hole in deep enough snow - the inside of the hole glows blue?  Cool, huh?  If you ever get, say, two feet of snow, just plunge your foot down through it, add a little sunlight... and bingo - the sky is now on the ground (sort of, lol)...  Cool

I took a helicopter ride onto a glacier when I was in Alaska and the deep blues of the ice were very striking.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 08:41:05 PM »

I can't believe how many people are willing to answer my hypothetical question - or more like allusional or exemplar question...  :lol:

Oh wow, I actually did not know that whatsoever. Next time we get heavy snow (not too often), I will make sure to try this Myto smile
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 06:50:47 AM »

Bullwinkle - what's not to love about Susie? Just curious... Wink

I was actually paraphrasing (or maybe I'm dead-on, hell, I'm doing it from memory) Calvin's thoughts on Susie in the strip.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2005, 03:05:29 PM »

Well, okay... I guess.  Just remember Bullwinkle, I'm only Susie occasionally, usually I'm a Khajiit... with really long fangs!  :twisted:

Of course, that's not to say Susie's a pushover either!

Tongue  Tongue  Tongue Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue

OH, and I can't wait to see Halo and Halo 2 on my 360... if that really was the topic of this thread (or was it blue environmental conditions?)  Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2005, 03:56:37 PM »

This is the weirdest damn thread.  Something get into the water around here after the changeover?   Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: