http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!  (Read 1697 times)
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »

Just venting here...

My 4th 360 Refurb just died - no red rings and sounds just fine but no video over either VGA or component.  Apparently the x-clamp failure problem or whatever.

This one was never that great - when I received it a year and two weeks ago, it sounded like a jet aircraft, had a filthy case and intermittent dirty disc errors.

Since I had it for over 12 months, though, 360 support says no warranty for me.  I can ship it back to them and pay $130 for repairs or throw it away and buy a new one.

My initial reaction is to tell MS to go f*** themselves.  I don't want to pay them another dime for another refurbed POS.  I could get an arcade box for $200 but don't want to shell out more money for something with a 60% chance of failure. 

But - I'm just at the end of Fallout 3, have a huge investment in Rock Band and Guitar Hero gear and am still playing Fable 2 and Far Cry 2 as well as College Hoops 2K8.  So I'll probably put out the cash and just be pissed off about it.

Freakin' Microsoft.
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:37 PM »

I hear ya.  While I love Live and I love the games available for the 360, I oftentimes think that if I have just one more system go belly up, I'm jumping to the ps3.  I'm on my third unit now. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »

At times I still go back and play my favorite 3DO and SuperNES games. I have a sinking feeling I'll never get that opportunity to do that with the Xbox 360 unless I stockpile a skid of them in an underground bunker somewhere. There are so many great games for Microsoft's system, but I've been debating moving all of my multi-platform releases to the PS3. Problem is, I vastly prefer the 360's controller.

Microsoft really needs to have backward compatibility on their next system, because part way through the next generation I anticipate every last working 360 will be gone.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »

Is there a problem with 360 hardware? My launch unit is still running fine.  ninja
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »

Quote from: skystride on April 17, 2009, 07:06:48 PM

Is there a problem with 360 hardware? My launch unit is still running fine.  ninja
DOOMED!

Oh, and jament? Wait a week, and then tell them it's rrod'ing (do some research on the symptoms).

Then it's covered, and they just crush the old ones now. Do it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »

Instead of getting another refurb, I would pay the extra $70 and get a Jasper Arcade model.  I faced this same dilemma a few months back and the Jasper systems run very quietly and hopefully will not fail.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »

Jament,

Did you use the web site or did you talk to the 1-800-4MY-XBOX support line?  When my launch Xbox 360 went belly up a couple of months ago, I went to the web site and they said that they wouldn't do it.  I called the support line and they were a bit more flexible.  Maybe it was because I had a launch unit, but it couldn't hurt to call and explain your situation if you didn't call.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

Man.. I'm on my 1st 360, which was purchased a year after launch.

I feel bad for you guys.

* El-Producto checks the 360 for the Karmic RROD.

"Goonies never say die"
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »

Well...I was going to make a separate post about it, but now that were on the issue of quality control; Nintendo just replaced my daughters year old DS for free. Umm...the unit wasn't really defective because...umm...it's malfunction was due to my daughter accidentally dropping it in the toilet; yup you heard me right.  icon_eek  Luckily the toilet only contained water at the time.  After a call to support I walked it in for repair at Nintendo's new walk in center in my city. Being the honest guy I am I told the tech what happened and was expecting to pay for any repairs, if repairs were even possible. His remark; "it happens". After which he kindly replaced it with a brand spanking new unit.  icon_smile

Just this week my -just more than a year old and out of warranty- 360 Wheel's power receptacle malfunctioned. I'm sure I don't even have to mention that MS wants an arm and leg to repair it. I didn't buy my 360 until almost 2 years after the launch, but I'm thinking if it malfuntions after warranty I'll likely just move over to the PS3. That Nintendo experience really brough home to me how Nintendo and Microsoft are worlds/galaxies/universes apart in customer support and quality control.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:30:35 PM by kronovan » Logged
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »

My first 360 is only about five months old but I already feel lucky...

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »

It's best to think of the 360 like a forced subscription service now.  Every 1-3 years, depending on the error, you pay another console subscription fee just to be able to play your games, add more if you want to play online.  slywink
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:57:02 PM »

Graham - yeah, I did both online, then called my good friend John Adams at the call center, who walked me through the diagnostic waste of time and told me to set up a repair order. 

If I tell them it has the red rings but when they receive it, it doesn't - won't they charge me anyway?  And if they crush the old ones, what do they replace those with?  They probably already have a warehouse full of refurbished Jasper units, I guess.

It just gets me that they send you one piece of trash after another and then just shrug when they fail.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »

jament:
Turn your 360 on, wrap it in Towels and leave it until it RROD, then get a warrenty exchange.
This method is also use as a temporary fix for the RROD.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »

yeah, I would just say RROD and send it in. I doubt they even test the units they repair.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 17, 2009, 07:16:59 PM

Quote from: skystride on April 17, 2009, 07:06:48 PM

DOOMED!

tempting fate skystride?  I still knock on wood when I fire up my second 360 from early 2006.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 17, 2009, 07:18:19 PM

Instead of getting another refurb, I would pay the extra $70 and get a Jasper Arcade model.  I faced this same dilemma a few months back and the Jasper systems run very quietly and hopefully will not fail.
This is the stupidest thing we can do as gamers. Why reward MS with more money for making a console that does not work? Why pay them to get fucked over?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »

Because if you enjoy your 360 enough then maybe it is worth the $200 for a new one.  Yeah, it sucks that they don't last.  But I have so much fun with the dang thing, that I'd pay $200 every year if I had to.  Why is it that we don't think twice about spending plenty more than that for games over the course of a year, or about the same amount for a MMO subscription, but we freak about buying a new console.

Again, it sucks that they don't last longer, but its still worth it.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »

My second box just died, lasted less than a year. The odd thing is that my launch day system lasted close to 3 years.
Thanks to the Costco replacement policy I was back up in about an hour  icon_smile

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on April 18, 2009, 07:47:07 PM

This is the stupidest thing we can do as gamers. Why reward MS with more money for making a console that does not work? Why pay them to get fucked over?

Finally, someone I can completely 100000% agree with.  You said it man.  When, not if, my current one dies, screw em forever.  They will never get another gaming dollar from me again.  EVER.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 11:31:46 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on April 18, 2009, 09:53:04 PM

Because if you enjoy your 360 enough then maybe it is worth the $200 for a new one.  Yeah, it sucks that they don't last.  But I have so much fun with the dang thing, that I'd pay $200 every year if I had to.  Why is it that we don't think twice about spending plenty more than that for games over the course of a year, or about the same amount for a MMO subscription, but we freak about buying a new console.

Again, it sucks that they don't last longer, but its still worth it.

heck, I spend a couple of grand every couple of years or so on a new gaming rig, so 200 bucks once a year or two would be but a drop in the bucket.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »

Yeah... I'm sorry, but if the engineering is shoddy enough for the thing to pop like a light bulb every 1-2 years, there's something wrong there. For anyone to go through these 4-5 times is absolutely ridiculous. You make an investment on a console like that, and you expect it to last. My mind always reels whenever someone tries to justify continual support of poor workmanship with a straight poker face.

I'm one of those lucky ones who had a launch PS2, and still have my launch 360 in fine working order (knock on wood), but at the end of the day I sure as hell can't blame anyone thinking of dumping a console after they repeatedly experience hardware malfunctions.

'sides, that extra $200 would net you another 3-5 games a year.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:42 AM »

Oh I don't blame anyone for dumping the console.  That's fine.  I'm just saying that the reality is I have 2 choices:

A.  Potentially spend $200 every year or two to have a functional XBox 360.
B.  Boycott the product because of the lousy workmanship.

I choose A.  I'm having much more fun that way.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the engineering of the Xbox, since it dies to frequently to soo many people? You'd think they would have it fixed after all these years?

I mean, the PS3 it seems now have an issue with its blueray drive after a few years, but its minor percentage it seems so far, but the Xbox? I dont know many people that havent gotten a new one due to it dying

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 06:23:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 19, 2009, 03:42:39 PM

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the engineering of the Xbox, since it dies to frequently to soo many people? You'd think they would have it fixed after all these years?

Yes - in short, the console gets too hot and starts popping components off the motherboard. Guaranteed to happen eventually unless you keep a fan on it constantly to keep it relatively cool.

The PS1 had a tiny piece of plastic that held the CD lens in place. Eventually it would melt from the heat and that would be the end of your console. That's why one of the temp tricks was to flip it upside down. Mine failed in this exact same way just before I got my PS2.

The PS2's lens would need manual alignment over the years. If you could do it yourself via the many guides on the 'net, you could do it for free, but otherwise it would be a new console. I've had to do this myself before I got a fully BC PS3.

I've heard of the occasional PS3 issues, but absolutely nothing like how every 360 will eventually fail on you.

Nintendo's systems? Built like tanks, short of the NES (poor console design causes the contacts for the cartridge to eventually go bunk).

Frankly, I'm surprised consumers are putting up with the 360's failure rate. Then again, I was surprised how well people put up with the PS2 problems, too.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »

Thanks for clarifying, Destructor.

One thing, I recently bought a notebook cooler - which is basically a pad which you place your laptop on, with 2 fans and a cooler inside, blowing cool air up your..eh.. laptop :-D

Wouldnt that work on an Xbox aswell? I'm asking because I'm considering buying one ;-)

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »

I've heard of nothing but bad things about the ones you can buy specifically for the 360 (as they draw too much power from the 360's USB ports), but a notebook cooler...not sure. Are there any air intake ports on the bottom of the console? Any additional air is a good thing, but if it won't do anything at all...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »

Some Arcade systems may not be Jaspers. My free replacement I got from Costco is an Arcade unit bundle (60 GB drive, 3 Arcade games, Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda, HDMI, extra controller and play-and-charge kit) is a late Falcon unit with NXE
The date is 10/2008 with a 175 Watt PS so it is most likely a Falcon

If you have a 150 Watt PS then you have a Jasper. They didn't start making Jasper's till November 2008. Some say there are Jasper models built in October that had the 175 Watt PS but that requires looking at the MOBO of the unit to confirm.

This information was taken from an article in OXM (March 2009)

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: