http://gamingtrend.com
September 15, 2014, 02:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 40587 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »

No? There wouldn't have been these multiplatform titles were it not for the change. It's effecting them.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »

I see what you're trying to do, but you're kind of forcing the word.  However, I didn't quite see that to begin with, so I apologize for bringing it up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 27, 2014, 04:56:44 PM

It doesn't make sense that the Xbox gap is so bad from a hardware standpoint that it's forcing devs into 30fps vs 60fps decisions. The XB1 has games - even multi-platform games - that run at 60fps.

Yea but those are rendering at 720p like Ghosts. Its an either or tradeoff for devs. 1080p30 or 720p60 is the choice they have to make.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: January 27, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 06:26:09 PM

Digital Foundry takes a look at Tomb Raider.  Not the truest comparison as XB1 is capped while the PS4 is uncapped.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Gameplay Analysis    Xbox One    PlayStation 4
Lowest Frame-Rate    24fps    33fps
Highest Frame-Rate    30fps    60fps
Average Frame-Rate    29.84fps    50.98fps

Its capped at 60.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: January 28, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi
Yea but those are rendering at 720p like Ghosts. Its an either or tradeoff for devs. 1080p30 or 720p60 is the choice they have to make.

Not true. Forza 5, FIFA and NBA 2K14 run full 1080p/60fps. I will grant you those are sports titles and presumably may not be as difficult to get to run as smooth as an action shooter.

At any (frame)rate, all I know is Dead Rising 3 ran at 720p and 30fps and I had a freaking blast with that game. If you're basing your enjoyment of a game on framerate and resolution, you're doing it (gaming) wrong.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »

Effect can be used in a verb when it has the meaning of "to bring about" or "to accomplish" something. So while you can "bring about a change", you can't "bring about"  or "accomplish"  an multiplatform title so no, saying it will effect multiplatform titles is not really valid.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: January 28, 2014, 03:31:16 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 12:45:51 AM

Not true. Forza 5, FIFA and NBA 2K14 run full 1080p/60fps. I will grant you those are sports titles and presumably may not be as difficult to get to run as smooth as an action shooter.

At any (frame)rate, all I know is Dead Rising 3 ran at 720p and 30fps and I had a freaking blast with that game. If you're basing your enjoyment of a game on framerate and resolution, you're doing it (gaming) wrong.

Trying to ignore framerate and resolution as factors to enjoyable experience just comes off as sour grapes from the party with the weaker system. The bottom line is this is happening with multiple games, its not some anomaly. Its the simple truth of these two systems. How much of a factor depends on the person.

We can look back to the first two Xbox's and how many fanboys tried to tout games as superior graphics wise for years over the PS2/PS3 when it came to multiplat titles.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2727 on: January 28, 2014, 05:56:22 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 12:45:51 AM

Out of those three I'm only somewhat familiar with Forza 5, but it's a good indication of how exclusive titles will be able to get around these limitations. Forza 5 features next to no full-screen effects, and those are the ones that take up the most space in the eSRAM. By keeping the focus on good art design and a clean presentation with no extra bullshit, 1080p 60fps is a far from insurmountable challenge for the Xbox One. It's only when you start stacking up effects, which most games have done for a while, that things become more challenging. We could end up seeing a change in the way graphics are designed for current-gen games, or the Xbox One versions of cross-platform games could be thrown under the bus. So far it's been the latter, but that doesn't mean it will continue to be that way.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »

Trying to ignore framerate and resolution as factors to enjoyable experience just comes off as sour grapes from the party with the weaker system. The bottom line is this is happening with multiple games, its not some anomaly. Its the simple truth of these two systems. How much of a factor depends on the person.

Yeah, because all those people who bought a Wii bought it because of the killer resolutions and frame rates.  Roll Eyes

Most people buy consoles for the games, period. Most gamers don't know WTF a frame rate is, or what resolutions are. You're applying your technical expertise to the population as a whole. Case in point, the "vastly inferior" 720p version of Call of Duty sold more copies on XB1 than PS4 in December.

I definitely don't have any sour grapes considering I've put in nearly 100 hours in XB1 exclusives I couldn't have played had I gone with the PS4. Likewise, I'll be buying a PS4 later it's year when they actually have something besides indie titles to play.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »

I don't think Jumangi is saying resolution & framerate are the be-all and end-all; he's just saying they are factors of an enjoyable experience.  The Wii had a lower resolution than the 360 and PS3.  It just did.  That didn't mean there wasn't fun to be had on the Wii, but you can't say it didn't have a lower resolution no matter how much you enjoyed a Zelda or Mario game.

The Xbone has lower performance than the PS4.  It just does, at least for the time being.  Just look at the performance numbers for Tomb Raider.  But that hardly means you can't have fun on the Xbone, plus the performance gap is not nearly as noticeable as the Wii gap.

Like you say, people buy consoles for the games.  That's why I just bought an Xbone.  But it's not like resolution & framerate weren't a factor in the decision.  Do I want my cross-platform titles to be prettier for the foreseeable future?  Or do I want to play Titanfall?   I want to play Titanfall. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 28, 2014, 01:04:11 PM

I don't think Jumangi is saying resolution & framerate are the be-all and end-all; he's just saying they are factors of an enjoyable experience.  The Wii had a lower resolution than the 360 and PS3.  It just did.  That didn't mean there wasn't fun to be had on the Wii, but you can't say it didn't have a lower resolution no matter how much you enjoyed a Zelda or Mario game.

The Xbone has lower performance than the PS4.  It just does, at least for the time being.  Just look at the performance numbers for Tomb Raider.  But that hardly means you can't have fun on the Xbone, plus the performance gap is not nearly as noticeable as the Wii gap.

Like you say, people buy consoles for the games.  That's why I just bought an Xbone.  But it's not like resolution & framerate weren't a factor in the decision.  Do I want my cross-platform titles to be prettier for the foreseeable future?  Or do I want to play Titanfall?   I want to play Titanfall. 

Also, I don't imagine people were buying the Wii for the multiplatform titles (which themselves trickled down to near nothing as the console went on).  The Wii console exclusives were fun, but the cross-platform titles were disappointing.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »

Which is a successful bit of marketing on Microsoft's part as the game is coming out to PC and 360 too, so you already had the ability to play it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 28, 2014, 01:52:05 PM

Which is a successful bit of marketing on Microsoft's part as the game is coming out to PC and 360 too, so you already had the ability to play it.

I still haven't seen any info on whether the 360 port will be good or shitty, but no matter how good the port I doubt it will be nearly as pretty as the PC and Xbone versions.  I thought long and hard about going for the PC version so I could get a PS4, but that would have meant A) buying a new video card; B) playing with a mouse & keyboard, and C) playing at a desk.  I don't want to put money into upgrading my computer just yet, because I want my next upgrade to coincide with the Oculus Rift release, I don't like playing shooters with a mouse & keyboard anymore, and I'd rather play Titanfall with a couch & HDTV than with an office chair & monitor.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2733 on: January 28, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

and unless they get cross-platform play, you aren't going to go with a MP game where your friends are on a different system. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 28, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »

There is a rumor (wishful thinking?) that the early dev kits were using alpha level drivers that have since been optimized greatly, and that this is why, in part, there is such a disparity among these early cross-platform titles. Of course then there's the argument that as the XB1 drivers mature so will the PS4s, etc. etc. Who knows.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2735 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 05:09:03 PM

There is a rumor (wishful thinking?) that the early dev kits were using alpha level drivers that have since been optimized greatly, and that this is why, in part, there is such a disparity among these early cross-platform titles. Of course then there's the argument that as the XB1 drivers mature so will the PS4s, etc. etc. Who knows.

According to pre-release reports, there's some truth to this, but the same can be said for the PS4. The PS4's developer tools were finished 2-3 months (can't remember exactly any more) before the console's release, while the Xbox One's tools were finalized about a month before. There will always be post-release improvements to the tools (just look at what happened to the PS3).

Saying that these tools are the cause of the early disparity is wishful thinking though. If anything, lack of familiarity with the tools and hardware would have an effect. There have been no indications, through rumors or otherwise, that the Xbox One drivers aren't solid right now.

Also, the biggest disparity we've seen for the platform so far is with Tomb Raider, which was just released and probably wasn't started work on until pretty late last year.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 28, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 12:25:56 PM

Yeah, because all those people who bought a Wii bought it because of the killer resolutions and frame rates.  Roll Eyes

Most people buy consoles for the games, period. Most gamers don't know WTF a frame rate is, or what resolutions are. You're applying your technical expertise to the population as a whole. Case in point, the "vastly inferior" 720p version of Call of Duty sold more copies on XB1 than PS4 in December.

I definitely don't have any sour grapes considering I've put in nearly 100 hours in XB1 exclusives I couldn't have played had I gone with the PS4. Likewise, I'll be buying a PS4 later it's year when they actually have something besides indie titles to play.

Sure dude. You first try and give examples to disprove the power difference while admitting they aren't good examples, then just say "well it doesn't matter anyways" pretty much the definition of it.

As for the Wii it sold allot fast then its sales fell off fast(look it up), and all those people didn't stick with Nintendo seeing the Wii U bombing in sales. Not a good example. As for people buying consoles for games...wow what a statement. As for more copies of CoD on the One yea its was more but it used to be far more in the 360 vs PS3. Its far closer now and that's the point you conveniently ignore.

In the end its a fact there is a power difference between the two. There's no disputing it. Whether that matters to a gamer is a personal choice but saying that people who think frame rate and resolution don't matter aren't gamers is just lame.

I've gotten well over 100 hours on my PS4 already. IMO I didn't see anything on the One for exclusives worth playing.
Different strokes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:09:43 PM by Jumangi » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »

I'm not disputing the power difference. I'm disputing the idea that all gamers should (or already are) concerned with framerate and resolution. Just because you place a high importance on it doesn't mean everyone else does (or should).

I have a feeling we're probably on the same page, just coming at it from different angles.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:37:43 PM by YellowKing » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2738 on: January 28, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 09:35:52 PM

I'm not disputing the power difference. I'm disputing the idea that all gamers should (or already are) concerned with framerate and resolution. Just because you place a high importance on it doesn't mean everyone else does (or should).

Many gamers might not care about these things if they come in blind and don't know about the differences, and I believe these are the ones you're really talking about. The people who know of the differences and willingly disregard them I believe is a much smaller group. They are probably those who own only one of the consoles and decided to go with the Xbox One. Despite making this choice, they might not be happy with having to settle with the lowest performance. The ones who've never heard about the differences will hear about them eventually though. The message is out there and people are talking about it (I mean, look at us!).

It's all conjecture anyway. We have very little to back up either side of the argument with here, except for the fact that there is a difference and that the two consoles have sold well so far. What will really be interesting to see over time is whether the PS4 will get the Xbox 360 effect where cross-platform titles are routinely purchased for that platform because they perform better there. My impression of the previous gen is that this was what gave the 360 its biggest momentum. The first, die-hard fans buy for the platform they consider superior, and then their friends buy on the same platform so that they can play together.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:07:51 PM by TiLT » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »

Well I for one will definitely be getting cross-platforms on PS4 (once I get one) until MS achieves some approximation of parity. The difference would be for multiplayer games, since most of my friends went XB1.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »

I'm playing Tomb Raider for PS4 and the 60fps is a game-changer for me. It's silky smooth. I can't go back.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »

The sputtering Wii U managed to sell 1.9 million in the final quarter of 2013.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 31, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 28, 2014, 10:05:14 PM

Well I for one will definitely be getting cross-platforms on PS4 (once I get one) until MS achieves some approximation of parity. The difference would be for multiplayer games, since most of my friends went XB1.

Exactly my approach.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 31, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 31, 2014, 02:27:24 PM

Exactly my approach.

Samesies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »

Samiesies me too!

I'm so glad I like both controllers enough that that doesn't have to be part of the equation.  In the PS3/360 generation, even if a single player game was reported to have better graphics on the PS3 I'd still get it on the 360 for the controller.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: January 31, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 31, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 31, 2014, 02:27:24 PM

Exactly my approach.

Samesies.

Actually in rethinking this, it's not quite true for me. Most of my friends who have purchased next gen are actually on PS4, so that wins for MP unless its a shooty title.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

Since I was marveling about this last week for the XBone, I will report that today the best buy site is showing me whether or not a ps4 is in stock at my local store (it is). I'm amazed this is happening so quickly after launch for both of these consoles. Has demand plummeted since the holidays or are they just making that many more than all previous launches? January NPD numbers should be interesting.

-John

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 31, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 31, 2014, 05:42:45 PM

Has demand plummeted since the holidays or are they just making that many more than all previous launches?

Regardless of how many we're seeing on store shelves right now, I think we already know that both consoles are being produced bananas crazy faster than all previous launches.  As much as we argue about whether Company A is selling more gazillions than Company B's gazillions, both companies are selling gazillions of these things.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 31, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 31, 2014, 05:42:45 PM

Since I was marveling about this last week for the XBone, I will report that today the best buy site is showing me whether or not a ps4 is in stock at my local store (it is). I'm amazed this is happening so quickly after launch for both of these consoles. Has demand plummeted since the holidays or are they just making that many more than all previous launches? January NPD numbers should be interesting.

My buddy finally got his hands on a PS4 yesterday after a month of trying. They're popping up fairly regularly around here but according to the guy we talked to in the store, are gone within 20 minutes of coming through the door. XBones were on the shelf to be had though (about five, so not like a ton of them or anything).

As of today you can't get a PS4 in my area (all the big stores show 0 stock).
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 31, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »

I may be getting my PS4 sooner rather than later. Due to the winter storm I was on storm team and got locked down at the hospital where I work from noon Tuesday through today. Looks like they're going to pay us even for rest hours due to the hardship involved, which means I'll be taking home nearly an extra week's pay. Thanks, Old Man Winter!  icon_biggrin
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: February 01, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »

So i got my Xbox One on New Years Day and i got my Playstation 4 yesterday(Chinese New Year Tongue)

These are obviously my views so feel free to say i am wrong or tell me i am talking shit etc etc..everything i say now,won't mean much TBH because its always the games that matter so i expect it to be further down the line when i really pick out a favourite and buy the Multiplats for that machine(like i did for the 360 over the PS3) and keep the other for exclusives

The Actual Consoles Themselves
When i picked up my Playstation 4 yesterday and again i had to walk home for 45 minutes and again in the rain like i did on New Years Day with the Xb1 under my arm,i noticed how very much lighter and thinner the PS4 box was.When i got home i was quite taken back that the PS4 was a lot smaller and yes lighter than the Xbox One and still didn't have a power brick like the Xbox One has.

IMO it looks nicer,the Xbox One looks very 1990's CDi to me which straightaway it reminded me of
Spoiler for Hiden:
whereas it looks like SONY has tried with the PS4 to make it look cool..and Blue lights always trump white lights Tongue

and no PSP memory card/SD Memory Card slots this time,just two USB sockets on the front for the PS4 and two on the back(and one more on the side) for the XB1

Controller
FWIW-I didn't think the 360 controller really needed changing much,the Xbox One controller gets rid of the ridge thing around the D-Pad so makes it much easier to use,but i just don't understand their logic of using 2 AA Batteries(or plug in the lead for P+P),it feels so frigging 20th Century,especially after even the PS3 got it right and again with the PS4 with not needing batteries,just plug and charge(with the USB cable that comes with the console) and its away,not another 20 quid for for the Plug and Play like for the XB1 controller

I prefer my controller sticks to be offset like the Xbox controller,other people are different but i can still easily use the parallel stick setting like the on the Playstation controllers guess i am used to both,both controllers fit decently in my hand.
SONY do tend to go overboard with their features on their controllers though with the SIXAXIS i never used for the PS3 and now on the PS4 they have a mini touchpad in the centre and also a little speaker for ..something,again i most probably won't use those features and i use Turtle Beach Headphones when playing so that little speaker thing will be useless for me i think
The light on the PS4 controller is pretty useless as well,i can't see it,i hear it goes red when you are injured in Killzone,but again if i can't see it when playing games or even looking down at the controller when playing games(i would have to tip the controller up when looking down to see the light)....just no point

Both controllers i am very happy about,i think the Xbox One controller has the edge,but certainly worth noting that the PS4 controller is leaps and bounds better than the PS3 controller

Headsets that come with the consoles
Lets face it,they both look shit

The PS4 headset is one earpiece and a small mic on the lead and the Xb1 is a call centre type headset..all i can say here is just from looks the XB1 beats it,but i have no intention of using either,I don't speak or talk that much during online gameplay,so i will just wait until TB release a XP model(to use on both Xbox/Playstation),in the meantime i will carry on using my X11s for sound and always catch those people with big Mickey Mouse Clown Feet in Call of Duty

Dashboard
Not got a clue what Microsoft were thinking if they thought the Xb1 had a good dashboard,it doesn't!,trying to find things can take awhile,some things get rotated if you use something,so you resort to pins,that is if you don't use the voice activation on Kinect..which sometimes works sometimes does not
The PS4 dash,gets to the point,and its pretty easy to navigate its similar to the XMB of PS3,although i don't really get the 'library' option to access your games when they all appear separately on that column anyway,i would prefer the games i have on my PS4 HDD not appear there so that the Library option is of some use and it keeps my XMB(whatever this one is called)neater

If you are used to the Playstation Store navigation on the PS3 then this is more or less the same on the PS4,overall it could do with improving still,but its better than the XB1 Marketplace(but the 360 marketplace is better i think than all)

Downloads are a lot faster on the Store as well,I just downloaded DC Universe Online from the store at 28.1gb and it took about 1hr 10 minutes to download and it had installed as it was downloading,although it gives you an option to start the install before the download has finished,but i always just wait

I heard rumours that Microsoft's big update for the XB1 is this March,so the above is pointless until that happens,but it does add another point that it seems Microsoft have been caught short by SONY and MS have this 'this will do until then' attitude

Features
With the HDMI out i can watch SKY TV on my Xbox by snapping inbetween game and programmes,TBH though the picture for SKY looked a lot less great than when i manually switched to SKY and the snap thing i got bored off and have not used it ..maybe later down the line(especially as i have now ran out of HDMI sockets on my SONY Bravia,and that includes using the Composite cables for the 360)

The PS4 doesn't have anything like that that i know of anyway

Playing Blu Ray movies,no problem on either
(I did have a bit of stutter at the opening of Disc 2 of Fellowship of the Ring on the Xbox One,so i may try that on the PS4 and see if its the same)
FWIW-you have to download an app to play the discs on the Xbox One and you don't have to on the PS4,but its not much of a download

I can't say much about games as i need to experience more,Online with the Xb1 and Call of Duty seems the same as 360,i have yet to go online with PS4(and yes i am a PS+ member)

So right now its the PS4 that is impressing me more,but i often remind myself that although i started as a PS2 fan at the start of the Century(jeez that long ago?),i ended that gen being an Xbox fan(original clunky Xbox),thanks largely to KOTOR and online play with SWBF,and take note i have only had the PS4 for 24 hrs Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: February 01, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »

Today there are no ps4s in stock at the best buys in the state. There are XBones in stock at all of those stores.

Gamespot has an article rumoring that a $399 XBone model may be released this year (possibly with no optical drive). A $399 model would greatly increase my interest in the XBone but not without an optical drive. Of course the lack of games for either system that I care about has kept me from jumping in yet.

-John

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: February 01, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »

Bit early for a price drop! I would be upset if I was an early adopter.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 01, 2014, 02:47:20 PM

Bit early for a price drop! I would be upset if I was an early adopter.

Well, it's not really a price drop, it's the price for an alternate model.  They are also talking about a model with a 1TB drive, which I imagine will be more expensive (but kinda necessary, IMO).

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: February 01, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

The article's "source" says the original model would also be dropped to the PS4 price. Apparently you would be choosing between black with optical drive vs white with bluetooth and no optical drive. Seems odd to me, which makes me doubt it being completely true. We'll see.

-John

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »

Should we have a general console sales data thread instead of this monster?

Anyhoo, January numbers are out, and Microsoft uncharacteristically has declined to release numbers.  From what's been put together from the released information and tweets of folks like Geoff Keighley the PS4 outsold the XB1 by almost 2 to 1.   Tomb Raider on PS4 also supposedly roughly doubled XB1 sales.   PS4 lead on pretty much all multiplatform titles for the month except CoD Ghosts (and maybe Lego too).  XB1 did not seem supply strained in January, generally having store availability.   Less said about Wii U the better.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2756 on: February 14, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »

Funny thing about the technical and framerate parity on the XB1 and PS4. Just like how PS3 optimizations actually really helped boost performance on 360, any techniques used to increase performance on the XB1 can be used to increase performance on the PS4. Things like doing serious tiling in the eSRAM to hit those 1080p targets would mean the same tiling system could be implemented on the PS4 for similar results. Admittedly, the eSRAM is actually a bit faster than GDDR5 (or am I wrong about this) so such techniques might work better on XB1, but overall helps both since the PS4 would benefit from having some memory freed up.

Otherwise, I still think performance will improve greatly on both systems, such that we won't be talking about these comparisons in a serious way until the final years of this console gen when games that pushing the boundaries again.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:21:45 PM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2757 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 14, 2014, 12:18:16 PM

Admittedly, the eSRAM is actually a bit faster than GDDR5 (or am I wrong about this)

Nope, you're right. The eSRAM is faster. The problem is only the size of the available buffer. Had it been 64 MB instead of 32, we wouldn't really be seeing these problems. It would still be harder to develop for, but there would be less need for workarounds. Even that would have been a restriction though, particularly as this generation matures. If a game is developed in such a way that it would never even need anything above 32 MB video RAM (which is extremely unrealistic for anything but the simplest of indie games), the Xbox One would perform better than the PS4, at least in terms of memory speed. There's also the GPU to consider, where there's a difference as well. I think the PS4 used to be 40% faster at some point, but the Xbox One has received at least one considerable boost since then. I've lost track of the current difference. Anyone more up to date than me on this?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:28:00 PM by TiLT » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: February 14, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »

Someone posted this at GAF to explain part of the ESRAM issues
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2759 on: February 14, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »

That's actually a pretty bad comparison picture, and presented in an unfair way to the Xbox One. Sure, if you're sending everything through the eSRAM buffer it'll end up like that, but that's not what developers do. The water analogy just doesn't work, even if you try to tweak it.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: