http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:16:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 41028 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: January 24, 2014, 08:15:10 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 24, 2014, 08:06:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 07:37:42 PM

It's also worth noting that the units on shelves aren't exactly boxes of disappointment to be thrown into the ocean.  I don't know how much of a system seller Titanfall will be, but if the supply situation still looks like this when it hits, anyone who wants an Xbone for Titanfall will be able to find one.  And when the next big cross-platform titles hit, will a Joe Gamer who thinks he wants to play Metal Gear Solid on a PS4 be patient enough to hunt for one?  Or will he just give up after the first try or two and buy an Xbone instead because one is right there on a shelf?

Interesting point really. We'll have to see.

As far as Titanfall goes - it's *the* reason I asked for an Xbox One for Christmas even though I already had a PS4. So that's one piece of anecdotal evidence that it is a system seller for some.

System seller for me, too, but I have always have such a hard time predicting the minds of the casual gamer masses.  My family member whose 360 was his CoD/Madden machine is my usual litmus test, and as of Thanksgiving he hadn't even heard of Titanfall.  But if Titanfall does catch the eyes of the CoD/Halo masses?  I don't want to jump the gun, but it seems like it could really really move some units.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »

Titanfall is likely my system seller as well, though it has to actually be as good as it looks.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2682 on: January 24, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »

funny enough, Titanfall is my anti-system seller.  as is Halo 5 Next or whatever they call it.  I haven't had the motivation to load up any MP game other than Payday 2 in the last year.  the irony here is that MP was part of why I decided to get a 360 in the first place.  it's almost as bad as when my fondness for JRPG's died. 

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

Both systems are doing well enough so far that no one should be overly defensive. If you're an Xbone owner and love the voice controls and what Kinect has to offer, that's awesome. If you're like me and prefer a more old school specialized video game system where you still navigate through menus using thumbsticks like some sort of savage barbarian, that's ok too. 90% of the games will be on both systems anyways.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: January 24, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 08:15:10 PM

Quote from: gellar on January 24, 2014, 08:06:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 07:37:42 PM

It's also worth noting that the units on shelves aren't exactly boxes of disappointment to be thrown into the ocean.  I don't know how much of a system seller Titanfall will be, but if the supply situation still looks like this when it hits, anyone who wants an Xbone for Titanfall will be able to find one.  And when the next big cross-platform titles hit, will a Joe Gamer who thinks he wants to play Metal Gear Solid on a PS4 be patient enough to hunt for one?  Or will he just give up after the first try or two and buy an Xbone instead because one is right there on a shelf?

Interesting point really. We'll have to see.

As far as Titanfall goes - it's *the* reason I asked for an Xbox One for Christmas even though I already had a PS4. So that's one piece of anecdotal evidence that it is a system seller for some.

System seller for me, too, but I have always have such a hard time predicting the minds of the casual gamer masses.  My family member whose 360 was his CoD/Madden machine is my usual litmus test, and as of Thanksgiving he hadn't even heard of Titanfall.  But if Titanfall does catch the eyes of the CoD/Halo masses?  I don't want to jump the gun, but it seems like it could really really move some units.

March will be interesting.  Right now Infamous Second Son is tracking higher if you look at social media sites, more likes to the Facebook page and higher view count on videos on youtube.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2685 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:40 PM »

The sad thing is that I really disliked the first Infamous, and I have no interest in MP. The result is that neither of the two "competing" March games makes me excited.  icon_cry
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »

The sadder thing is that that's an insufficient reason to avoid the sequel.

If you disliked the first person you ever dated, would you also refuse to go out with their younger, better looking, and easier-to-control sibling, even if it meant earning a more interesting set of superpowers?

-Autistic Angel
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2687 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 24, 2014, 09:30:15 PM

Oh sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm not avoiding it, and probably will get it (meaning Infamous: Second Son) unless it reviews poorly. I'm just not excited about it. Titanfall I won't buy, even for PC, as I don't get much enjoyment out of MP at all.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

TiLT, if your argument that is that the XB1 is doing worse than expected by people on this forum then that's fine. But you're suggesting that right after disputing official Xbox numbers and reasoning, which makes it sound like your argument is with Xbox sales as expected by the larger world. I'm surprised I have enough straw left to make a straw man as many as you have been grasping at.  icon_biggrin

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just wish we could all be happy for each others consoles.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:55:08 PM by YellowKing » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »

I am both happy to have my Xbone and of the belief that MS hasn't sold as many units through to users as they expected to.  I don't think it was MS's plan to have this many Xbones sitting on store shelves while it's still January.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2690 on: January 24, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 24, 2014, 09:53:33 PM

I'm not trying to pick a fight

Then don't. My opinions have no impact on your life, nor on the future success or failure of the Xbox One. My facts, correct or not, have no impact on your life or the future success or failure of the Xbox One. In fact, whether you completely ignore me or not has no impact on the future success or failure of the Xbox One, though it will impact a very minor part of your life.

Things would be better if you don't engage in pointless arguments with me. If you think I'm an idiot, that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and ignore me. Bickering doesn't earn you or me any rewards. It only serves to "pick a fight", even if I don't lift my hands to retaliate.

However, if I present facts that are wrong and you can present sources to show so, feel free to put me in my place. That's the kind of thing worth arguing about, and that's exactly the kind of thing that didn't start this line of discussion.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2691 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2692 on: January 24, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »

Just to be clear, that isn't a statement against anybody in particular, I just thought it was a funny image smile

And for the record, I have a PS4 and not an XboxOne. I think all of you people need to LIGHTEN THE HELL UP.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:00:40 PM by th'FOOL » Logged

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »

Then don't. My opinions have no impact on your life, nor on the future success or failure of the Xbox One. My facts, correct or not, have no impact on your life or the future success or failure of the Xbox One. In fact, whether you completely ignore me or not has no impact on the future success or failure of the Xbox One, though it will impact a very minor part of your life.

Things would be better if you don't engage in pointless arguments with me. If you think I'm an idiot, that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and ignore me. Bickering doesn't earn you or me any rewards. It only serves to "pick a fight", even if I don't lift my hands to retaliate.

However, if I present facts that are wrong and you can present sources to show so, feel free to put me in my place. That's the kind of thing worth arguing about, and that's exactly the kind of thing that didn't start this line of discussion.

I didn't think I was engaging in pointless arguments. I'm just "having a discussion" like you've stated so often in your posts. Am I not allowed to "have a discussion?"

Also, I never said you were an idiot. Those are your words, not mine. I actually never even named names until you addressed me directly. However, if you're going to feel the need to rebuke or invalidate every bit of positive XB1 news that is posted, expect that to draw attention, particularly when those rebukes are not based on fact. I'm sure if I came in a thread and said something disparaging about PS4 sales numbers, you'd be the first out of the gate to correct me.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: January 25, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »

I think when you talk about expectations you have to indicate a time reference. Compared to pre-E3 expectations the Xbox1 is seriously underperforming in NA. But compared to post E3 expectations, the Xbox is like a team that was down 40-0 at the half and then came back to almost tie up the game (against an opponent that they were expected to trounce fairly easily)
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: January 25, 2014, 01:02:50 AM »

I agree Xbox was expected to stay the market leader (even though they really weren't by the end of the generation, the perception was there). However, I don't think anyone expected the number of sales of both consoles, which was greater than last gen and coming amidst predictions that consoles were dying and that nobody needed a new one anyway. You'd think analysts would stop predicting the death of anything gaming related since they're always wrong (except for maybe Wii U ba dum dum).

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: January 25, 2014, 01:58:56 AM »

The fact that two systems sold 7+ million in a month and a half completely puts to rest the dumb comments about gamers not wanting a new generation. Quite the opposite in fact. Heck we've never had two big consoles launch literally head to head like this. Its always been a a year or so separation so the fact they can sell that many is really impressive.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: January 26, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2014, 05:31:57 AM

Quote from: TiLT on January 17, 2014, 04:51:36 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2014, 04:16:50 AM

NPD reports that the XBox One outsolde the PS4 in the US in December, and December 2013 was the Wii U's best month ever.

Only if you believe Microsoft's increasingly strange ways of defining "best selling". In this case they're specifically talking about earnings, which nobody would talk about using "best selling". The Xbox One costs more than the PS4, so it needs to sell less to achieve this "victory".

Got a cite for that?  Every single NPD report I find for December talks about units only.

Funny that TiLT talks about facts when this exchange happened.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: January 26, 2014, 03:04:10 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 24, 2014, 09:53:21 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 24, 2014, 09:30:15 PM

Oh sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm not avoiding it, and probably will get it (meaning Infamous: Second Son) unless it reviews poorly. I'm just not excited about it. Titanfall I won't buy, even for PC, as I don't get much enjoyment out of MP at all.

Well, in all seriousness, inFamous 2 was superior to its predecessor in every possible regard.  That isn't to say it was perfect game, but I'm definitely looking forward to Second Son.

-Autistic Angel
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2699 on: January 26, 2014, 05:05:13 AM »

Time for another meaningless anecdotal report.  My local Target had 3 Xbones.  They also had 3 PS4's.  They had a bunch of 2&3DS's.  They had no Vita's and no PS4 cameras.  So clearly PS4 to Vita chat is the only killer app this generation and the new consoles are doomed.  I had to look to even find the WiiU display.  They were in stock.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2700 on: January 26, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 24, 2014, 10:54:01 PM

Just to be clear, that isn't a statement against anybody in particular, I just thought it was a funny image smile

And for the record, I have a PS4 and not an XboxOne. I think all of you people need to LIGHTEN THE HELL UP.

Booyah!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2701 on: January 26, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 26, 2014, 02:56:55 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2014, 05:31:57 AM

Quote from: TiLT on January 17, 2014, 04:51:36 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 17, 2014, 04:16:50 AM

NPD reports that the XBox One outsolde the PS4 in the US in December, and December 2013 was the Wii U's best month ever.

Only if you believe Microsoft's increasingly strange ways of defining "best selling". In this case they're specifically talking about earnings, which nobody would talk about using "best selling". The Xbox One costs more than the PS4, so it needs to sell less to achieve this "victory".

Got a cite for that?  Every single NPD report I find for December talks about units only.

Funny that TiLT talks about facts when this exchange happened.

Sorry, I had forgotten about this one. I read (and wrote that post about it) a commentary about that situation early in the morning before heading up in the mountains for the weekend, and I didn't fact-check properly, nor did I have the chance to respond and/or check for more information since I was gone for days. I most likely misunderstood the source I was referring from (and didn't link to it either). So yeah, I was quite likely wrong. Ideally I should have spent more time checking sources, but I was in the unique situation of not having enough time. I reached too far.

See? That wasn't hard. I can admit to my mistakes.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2702 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:20 AM »

The infamous FamousMortimer of NeoGAF is sharing good Xbox One news for once. He's got a track record for being right about the rumors he posts, and he has good sources.

In short, the rumor says that Microsoft will unlock 8 of the 10% GPU that has been reserved for the OS (read: Kinect) so far. Apparently 2% is used for handling the audio part of Kinect, while the 8% that will be unlocked deal with the video part.

What does this mean? Well, it means a respectable amount of extra GPU power will be available to devs, which will be of particular use when it comes to cross-platform titles. It's somewhat bad news for fans of the Kinect though, as this also means that devs will now have to make a choice between Kinect support or more GPU, and I don't think Kinect is going to win that battle very often.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: January 27, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »

So, someone over at QT3 just wrote this :
Here's a lovely one. My internet connection went down tonight because Time Warner is not a very good company, so I thought I'd pass the time by listening to some music. Turns out, streaming music stored locally on your PC to your Xbox One requires an internet connection. You never know, you might decide at any moment to stop listening to the music you own and subscribe to Xbox Music!

I hate crap like that! Does the PS4 do the same kind of stuff?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2704 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »

There's no music streaming on the PS4 yet, so we don't know. I would be very surprised if it will require anything like that when the firmware is updated though, particularly since the PS3 doesn't require anything of the sort either.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: January 27, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 27, 2014, 06:42:20 AM

What does this mean? Well, it means a respectable amount of extra GPU power will be available to devs, which will be of particular use when it comes to cross-platform titles. It's somewhat bad news for fans of the Kinect though, as this also means that devs will now have to make a choice between Kinect support or more GPU, and I don't think Kinect is going to win that battle very often.

It will help but its not going to stop the multiplatform titles we see being 1080p vs 720p, or 60 vs 30 fps.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »

It doesn't make sense that the Xbox gap is so bad from a hardware standpoint that it's forcing devs into 30fps vs 60fps decisions. The XB1 has games - even multi-platform games - that run at 60fps. This seems to me more developer side than hardware. The PS4 seems far easier to brute force into 60fps than the XB1, which requires much greater optimization, and when there's a time crunch the XB1 is going to suffer.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: January 27, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 27, 2014, 06:42:20 AM

I'm not sure I agree it's bad news for Kinect fans, or at least, Kinect fans who want more than just tacked on Kinect features.  If it's a cross-platform title, the game must already be designed to be Kinectless, so no big loss.  If it's an Xbone exclusive, then if the dev does think they want to utilize the Kinect they can do so and make the game as pretty as they can without any risk of a PS4/Xbone graphics comparison.

Well on second thought, I guess if it's an Xbone exclusive that directly competes with another title that's available on the PS4, then I guess you're right it does become a tougher choice.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: January 27, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »

It will effect multiplatform titles.  BF4 supports kinect for leaning for instance.  You'll see titles where they have to opt for head tracking/leaning and the like or try and get closer to PS4 graphics parity.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 27, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »

but will it AFFECT those titles?  icon_twisted
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: January 27, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 27, 2014, 05:59:41 PM

It will effect multiplatform titles that would've been PS4-only because they just have to have that extra 8% of power to run.   icon_wink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 27, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

And my heavens am I glad both companies were able to make their consoles quiet this generation.  I've already put a good number of hours of gaming and movies on the Xbone, but the wife booted up a movie for the kiddos on the PS3 just now and the leafblower sound seems even more pronounced now that I've experienced life without it.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

It's interesting to me that so many people have commented on noisy PS3s and 360s over the years.  I've owned at least two different models of each console and honestly never been aware of any fan or disc noise while they're in use.

Maybe we're sitting further away or just keep the volume on the speakers up high enough to drown it out?

-Autistic Angel
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 27, 2014, 06:09:12 PM

It will effect multiplatform titles that would've been PS4-only because they just have to have that extra 8% of power to run.   icon_wink

I think the effect that Hark was going for didn't affect your follow up post.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »

Digital Foundry takes a look at Tomb Raider.  Not the truest comparison as XB1 is capped while the PS4 is uncapped.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Gameplay Analysis    Xbox One    PlayStation 4
Lowest Frame-Rate    24fps    33fps
Highest Frame-Rate    30fps    60fps
Average Frame-Rate    29.84fps    50.98fps
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 27, 2014, 06:24:00 PM

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2716 on: January 27, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 06:26:09 PM

Digital Foundry takes a look at Tomb Raider.  Not the truest comparison as XB1 is capped while the PS4 is uncapped.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

well, wonder why they capped frame-rate on XB1 and what the effective frame-rate would have been if they hadn't affected that change.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2717 on: January 27, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 06:26:09 PM

Digital Foundry takes a look at Tomb Raider.  Not the truest comparison as XB1 is capped while the PS4 is uncapped.

Huh, that's strange. When this bit of news first broke, word was that both versions were uncapped. Perhaps they discovered that jumping above 30 fps regularly on the Xbox One version would feel worse than simply keeping it steady. This is a problem with Knack on PS4, for example.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »

It was probably more wildly inconsistent or hovering around 30 anyways.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: January 27, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 27, 2014, 06:42:21 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 27, 2014, 06:24:00 PM

Yeah, that still doesn't work with your sentence, though.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: