http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:33:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 42593 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: December 08, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 06, 2013, 06:32:54 PM

Ok, this is a bit tired topic, I know but

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

Jeebus Microsoft lose that sharpening filter!

also, WiiU version inferior to PS360, that's kind of sad.

Yeah, I was honestly horrified when I booted up Assassins Creed on the XB1. I wanted to see how it looked on there compared to the PS4. It was like night and day with the PS4 version. The shimmering was god awful. How can a console that produced Ryse, puke out that? If they are going to be upscaling games on the XB1, then they need to lose that Sharpening Filter. It is garbage.

I have high hopes for the XB1, there are some awesome games on it and some great ideas for the whole gaming experience....but whoever thought that it would be a good idea to over sharpen all the games that use the upscaler on the system, should be fired.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 08, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »

I think comparison videos/articles can be really interesting.  I seem to remember an older GTA comparison showing the PS3 version to be slightly better than the 360 version, but I went with the 360 anyway for the controller, so it's not as if an article like the above means you have to feel shamed or somehow wronged because you own the Xbone or even the Wii U version.  Even the article itself hardly says you're going to have your eyes burned out by looking at the Xbone version; it's clearly an upgrade from the 360/PS3/WiiU versions, and it's mainly the sharpening filter that TiLT is talking about that's holding back the Xbone visuals.

I also like seeing comparisons between photography lenses or camera bodies, competing video cards, phone cameras, headphones, stereo equipment...  I don't see why console comparisons should have to be taboo.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 09, 2013, 02:41:50 AM »

The comparisons themselves are not taboo. If just about anyone else had posted that, I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. But it was posted by someone who doesn't own an Xbox, doesn't plan to own an Xbox, and has a history of only posting negative news about the Xbox.

At any rate, enough said. I have confidence these issues will be ironed out.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: December 09, 2013, 03:01:07 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 09, 2013, 02:41:50 AM

The comparisons themselves are not taboo. If just about anyone else had posted that, I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. But it was posted by someone who doesn't own an Xbox, doesn't plan to own an Xbox, and has a history of only posting negative news about the Xbox.

[pedantic]I own an Xbox, two in fact, but not an Xbox One.[/pedantic] 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: December 09, 2013, 03:39:56 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 09, 2013, 02:41:50 AM

Can you just keep a private journal of how much you hate forge and tilt and leave it out of the forums?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2405 on: December 09, 2013, 03:59:52 AM »

ok, let's clear this up.  AC4 look worse on XB1 than it does on either PC or PS4.  no arguing will change this.  does this show a weakness in the platform or the developer?  unknown, we haven't played AC5 yet.  if the next one comes out and is still noticeably worse to look at on XB1 compared, then we can make a better assessment of a system's strength/weakness.  agreed? 

now, can we please stop this stupid bullshit arguing over which system is better right now?  hell, look at NFS Rivals for a mult-plat game that actually looks as good on both systems as it does on a high end pc?  iow, they spent the time to learn the system and built to its strengths.  Forza looks great, as does Killzone 4, so 1st party games should expect to be made at a higher quality level than multi-plat, which is not any different from last gen.

let us put the arguments behind us until we get to where the cross-gen games are done and all work is spent on this generation instead. 

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: December 09, 2013, 04:30:05 AM »

Quote from: Caine on December 09, 2013, 03:59:52 AM

ok, let's clear this up.  AC4 look worse on XB1 than it does on either PC or PS4.  no arguing will change this.  does this show a weakness in the platform or the developer?  unknown, we haven't played AC5 yet.  if the next one comes out and is still noticeably worse to look at on XB1 compared, then we can make a better assessment of a system's strength/weakness.  agreed? 

That wasn't even the point though, if you read my original post you see it's specifically about the sharpening filter, with a side of gee, isn't the WiiU sad.
I noted that comparisons are a tired topic, but that shot and the article specifically highlighted an XB1 quirk.  Yes it's 900p XB1 v 1080p PS4, but I  was  commenting on the odd choice to pretty much globally apply a sharpening filter to all upscaling. I mean look at what I said "Jeebus Microsoft lose that sharpening filter! "

From the Eurogamer article
As we've seen in other sub-1080p games upscaled by the Xbox One hardware, overall image quality is further impacted by the introduction of an unwanted sharpening filter

This seems more of a MS need to disable or make that an option at the system level, as opposed to a hardware power issue or a developers learning the system issue.   Ryse gets around the issue by handling the scaling internally to the game, and not letting the XB1 do it. 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:34:41 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: December 09, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

Can you just keep a private journal of how much you hate forge and tilt and leave it out of the forums?

I don't hate TiLT or forge at all. I don't know them personally so I'm certainly not going to hate them. This isn't about people, it's about forum postings, nothing more.

But look at what you just did. You asked me to "leave it out of the forums." You're expressing an opinion about my posts you don't agree with. I'm just doing the same thing. What gives you the right to do so and not me?

I'm not saying the Xbox is better than the PS4. I'm not saying the sharpening filter doesn't look like shit. I'm just saying that if you've shown behavior of only posting negative articles about the Xbox in the past, then you post yet another, and I come along and say "nobody cares anymore" - which they don't, since even N4G, one of the most pro-Sony sites on the internet, isn't even hot-issuing this anymore - then don't be surprised if I call it out.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 09, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »

I think what most of us are arguing is that it just serves absolutely no purpose to be "calling someone out" at this point, or at all. It just furthers the aggravation.

In terms of soccer "Go for the ball, not the man". It would be a lot easier for everyone if we just discussed the issues, and not post histories, persons or anything like that.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 09, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 09, 2013, 01:35:11 PM

But look at what you just did. You asked me to "leave it out of the forums." You're expressing an opinion about my posts you don't agree with. I'm just doing the same thing. What gives you the right to do so and not me?

I'm in a thread about the new systems, interested in reading and discussing news & impressions about the new systems.

You're in a thread about the new systems, interested in calling out Forge and TiLT when they bring up something negative about the Xbone.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 09, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »

Actually I didn't call anybody out until Turtle made his comment.

Please continue.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2411 on: December 09, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »

So then there are two problems: one is that Ms needs to tweak their upscaler.

Two is that the devs who are using it should be selective about which features they count on.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2412 on: December 09, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 09, 2013, 03:49:33 PM

Two is that the devs who are using it should be selective about which features they count on.

Seems reminiscent of the early PS3 days when devs quickly learned to stay away from the native anti-aliasing feature like the plague.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 09, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 08, 2013, 01:03:53 PM

May your games never get patched.

Wow, was that really necessary?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 09, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »

Torches and Happiness!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

I don't hold out much hope they'll patch AC4. Just hope they fix that for future titles. If I didn't want to play AC4 SO DAMN BAD I'd probably hold out for the PS4 version. As it stands, however, that's probably not going to happen until around March.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2416 on: December 09, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »

not sure how ubi let that through QA as is.  maybe they can spend the effort next time around and make a better upscaler.  or, better yet, get performance up to 1080p without sacrificing details.  are there any other multi-plat games that use the native upscaler?  

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 09, 2013, 04:41:49 PM

not sure how ubi let that through QA as is.  maybe they can spend the effort next time around and make a better upscaler.  or, better yet, get performance up to 1080p without sacrificing details.  are there any other multi-plat games that use the native upscaler? 

It's not just an UBI issue.  Killer Instinct which is an MS published exclusive has the issue as well.  Pretty much anything that isn't native 1080p or Ryse exhibits it.  People have found that if they force the XB1 to only output 720P, then they don't have the filter applied.  They've even found a way to get it to disable briefly on the XB1 doing weird stuff with snap etc, but it's only for a few seconds, but it has allowed people to generate screenshots with and without the filter applied.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2418 on: December 09, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 09, 2013, 04:47:48 PM

Pretty much anything that isn't native 1080p or Ryse exhibits it.

This is what I've heard as well.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

I will say a lot depends on how sensitive you are to this sort of thing. I've never noticed it on Dead Rising 3 because I'm too busy killing zombies. Not saying it shouldn't be fixed where possible, but in reality you're not typically running two platforms side by side to compare differences.

Hopefully at some point games are going to be 1080p standard anyway, and this will be a non-issue.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31:31 PM »

since people seems to care about this stuff MS has sold more that 2 Mil consoles

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »

Sweet, MS has manufactured over 2 million consoles to match the 2 million+ Sony has manufactured. Yay for supply!
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 11, 2013, 06:43:36 PM

Sweet, MS has manufactured over 2 million consoles to match the 2 million+ Sony has manufactured. Yay for supply!

my exact sentiment

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: December 11, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »

2 million sold is 2 million sold no matter what. This is good news for the gaming industry.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 11, 2013, 09:39:16 PM

2 million sold is 2 million sold no matter what. This is good news for the gaming industry.

It depends entirely on what "sold" is.  The way these reports are written, you're meant to assume it refers to people buying from the retailer.  However, units are also sold to those retailers, but that just leaves them on shelves until someone walks home with one.

The point is these are all spin reports.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2425 on: December 11, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2013, 10:20:44 PM

It depends entirely on what "sold" is.  The way these reports are written, you're meant to assume it refers to people buying from the retailer.  However, units are also sold to those retailers, but that just leaves them on shelves until someone walks home with one.

That's not true at all.  They very specifically say "more than 2 million consoles sold through to consumers worldwide". 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:29 PM »

Pretty sure at this point its sold to consumers considering whenever retailers are getting either Ones or PS4s in stock they are gone again within the day.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:19 AM »

For the gaming industry, yes 100%. For MS (or Sony)? We'll see when supply starts being greater than demand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: December 12, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »

It would be interesting to hear numbers on defective hardware rates, although neither company will ever allow that. Among my circle of friends there have already been 5 defective consoles, 2 XB1s and 3 PS4s. I don't recall anything like that last generation. Clearly nothing like the RROD, but based upon friends, consumer commentary on sites like Amazon, and various forums, it seems like both consoles are having growing pains on the hardware front.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »

Finally got around to opening my XBOX One.
I have Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4:Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Forza 5, Dead Rising, Ryse,  Power Golf, Killer Instinct (full unlock), NBA 2K14, and now Peggle 2.
See you guys online

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: December 12, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on December 12, 2013, 09:11:09 AM

Finally got around to opening my XBOX One.
I have Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 4:Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Forza 5, Dead Rising, Ryse,  Power Golf, Killer Instinct (full unlock), NBA 2K14, and now Peggle 2.
See you guys online

thumbsup

NiM$
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 11, 2013, 10:48:46 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2013, 10:20:44 PM

That's not true at all.  They very specifically say "more than 2 million consoles sold through to consumers worldwide". 

If you're willing to take these marketing reports at face value, then the terrorists have already won.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle
If you're willing to take these marketing reports at face value, then the terrorists have already won.

There's no reason for Microsoft to lie about something that analysts can verify through other means. They have investors to answer to.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2433 on: December 12, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »

I believe that Bullwinkle was in fact kidding, and playing on an old trope.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 12, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »

moose is funny.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2435 on: December 12, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »

Moose is moose. Funny or not, Bullwinkle's still a lot of bull.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 12, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

yep.  BULLMOOSE!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2437 on: December 12, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »

I think Purge was referring to actual moose, you know, from personal experience.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 12, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

I was surprised to see both XB1s and Ps4s in stock at the local Walmart today.  Figured it'd be until at least next year until they had the shelves stocked.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2439 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »

Either a moose is a bull or a cow. I'm pretty sure Bullwinkle would rather be known as a bull, but judging from this definition:

A mature male moose is referred to as a bull; a mature female moose is a cow; and an immature moose of either sex is a calf.
(emphasis mine), he lands squarely in the calf definition. slywink

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: