http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:30:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 35698 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 02, 2013, 08:08:41 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 02, 2013, 07:58:37 PM

Quote from: msduncan on December 02, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

Meaningless stat, and I'm not sure how accurate anyways.  Black Friday is pretty much irrelevant when both consoles launched within two weeks of it,  I doubt this has any meaningful impact on the November sales numbers.  Has MS even broken 1 million in the US yet?

LOL seriously?   They broke 1 million in the first 24 hours....
In the US are you sure?  Because all the articles said 1 Million worldwide, which is a fair bit different.

From what one would call a reputable source
with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours
http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history

And hey, and article with a bit different take on that BF report
http://techland.time.com/2013/12/02/did-microsofts-xbox-one-really-beat-sonys-playstation-4-in-black-friday-sales/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:15:20 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2321 on: December 02, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »

Right... and with MS's product coming in at 25% more expensive, grossed more money. Tongue

I seem to remember the concern being yield product. If you throw a million stones, and those stones all hit one person each, does it matter in which yard they were thrown? If MS is splitting up their product over 13 markets or just two, do you really think that in a market where both have 80+ million sales that they couldn't move the next gen systems to the tune of exactly the amount available for sale?

Demand far outstrips supply at this point. Systems will sometimes sit on a shelf for a bit, and then they will go to consumers. It will continue for quite some time, and this is a silly pissing contest where MS and Sony are only posting this info to assure the marketplace that they're doing fine, thank-you-very-much.

Anything more than that is borderline ridiculous (1. One deserving of ridicule, public and vocal shaming). One-upmanship where neither can fulfill their OWN market interest, let alone the competitions just ain't gonna happen. We're going to hear from both companies how they're doing well. And for us gamers (all of us) I am grateful that both are. I would also like to hear Nintendo doing well. It may be the next console I get depending on exclusives.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:41:05 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »

Sales numbers are basically a reflection of how fast the company is manufacturing them, nothing more. No consoles are sitting unbought on the shelf. Xbone did better on Black Friday simply because there was probably more stock available to sell on that particular day. The PS4 might destroy Xbone two Tuesdays from now if they get a shipment and Xbone supply is gone. It'll be March or April, when consoles are actually sitting unbought on shelves, until sales numbers mean something.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 02, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 02, 2013, 08:39:01 PM

Right... and with MS's product coming in at 25% more expensive, grossed more money. Tongue
LOL

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2324 on: December 02, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 02, 2013, 09:24:20 PM

Sales numbers are basically a reflection of how fast the company is manufacturing them, nothing more. No consoles are sitting unbought on the shelf. Xbone did better on Black Friday simply because there was probably more stock available to sell on that particular day. The PS4 might destroy Xbone two Tuesdays from now if they get a shipment and Xbone supply is gone. It'll be March or April, when consoles are actually sitting unbought on shelves, until sales numbers mean something.

And hopefully they both will get some compelling games out there to push the eventual lull further into the future.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: December 02, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »

pretty much.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: December 02, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »

well said JayDee. 

glad that both systems are doing well out there.  so much for the tablet/mobile gaming taking down the full grown console threat. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2327 on: December 03, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

Not in the case of the Wii U, which serves as an example of how not to handle a console launch.

People like to downplay the fact that both these launches are doing well, and that the PS4 launch is still doing better of the two, but the reality is, these numbers are significant.

These numbers represent good preparation and execution in many fields to both drive demand that console's way, and to have consoles manufactured to buy. The demand also includes games that people want to play. Even MS managed to push themselves and turn around massive amounts of negative PR.

What's more, the faster adoption than any other new console generation means a faster switch to that as the standard. There'll always be a cross gen period, but this smooths the transition and can also help keep developers and publishers profitable.

Having both systems be successful at launch also means that a dev focusing on either system isn't dooming themselves like we saw early in the 360/PS3 launch years.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:42:12 AM by Turtle » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: December 03, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »

That's good news.  I'm glad to see that both are selling well. 

I wonder how much XB1 and PS4 stock both of those retailers had for BF?  If the units available were even, than those BF results are really impressive for MS.  If they mostly only had XB1 units in stock that day, the #'s should definitely show the XB1 with a much higher % of sales.  Without knowing available inventory to really compare units available to units sold, the only real take away I'm seeing is that Walmart and Target moved XB1's on BF...which is good.

It's awesome to see that the console market is not only alive and well, but seems to be growing.         
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: December 03, 2013, 03:30:06 AM »

Frankly I'm relieved that

1.  we have competition
2.  the damned tablets didn't take over the world of gaming as analysts who don't play games predicted
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2330 on: December 03, 2013, 05:07:39 AM »

F*$% tablet gaming. I can't stand having a "glass surface" as a controller.

It works for some genres, but it is not my controller of choice.

Hell, Halo: Spartan Assault is a great game when using a controller. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:21 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 03, 2013, 03:30:06 AM

2.  the damned tablets didn't take over the world of gaming as analysts who don't play games predicted

maybe the revolution was just delayed.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2332 on: December 03, 2013, 06:39:44 AM »

So the Xbox one "dominated" because it sold more in Target and Walmarts. Great analysis...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2333 on: December 03, 2013, 07:47:55 AM »

According to Andrew House in a live stream just now (no written source yet that I can find), the PS4 has sold more than 2.1 million units worldwide as of the 1st of December.

Edit: Now with source.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:32:28 AM by TiLT » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: December 03, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 03, 2013, 07:47:55 AM

According to Andrew House in a live stream just now (no written source yet that I can find), the PS4 has sold more than 2.1 million units worldwide as of the 1st of December.

But...but....what about XBox One selling more on Black Friday??!?!?!  LOL. 

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: December 03, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 03, 2013, 03:20:15 PM

Before you strut around peacock proud, let's wait for the global sales for Xbone.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: December 03, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 03, 2013, 03:58:16 PM

Before you strut around peacock proud, let's wait for the global sales for Xbone.

I own both consoles, so I want them both to do well.  That being said, if you think MS is going to match that, you are delusional.  They had their worldwide launch and it wasn't that big and there wouldn't be enough more units the next week to close the gap.  It was hard to find them in stores last week.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »

Do you think MS shipped or held back a million units for a week?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2338 on: December 03, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »

But we did get the global sales for the Xbox One.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2339 on: December 03, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

The point of this exercise is unclear.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: December 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

we did?

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 03, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

we did?

Look up

From what one would call a reputable source
with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours
http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-biggest-launch-in-xbox-history

Now you can argue we haven't seen the numbers with an additional week of sales, and that is true, but I highly doubt MS was able resupply a million consoles in a week's time.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2342 on: December 03, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

we did?

After the first day of sales, yes. Since then? Not so much.

I'm sure they failed, have packed it in and are going home. Dammit, now I have a $500 brick.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 03, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

well, I will argue that we haven't seen numbers, and since we have I'm not going to get in line to start sucking Sony's cock just yet.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2344 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »

Look at the brightside, Purge. You have a powersupply and Kinect as well. That's THREE bricks.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »

biggrin

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 03, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »

both systems are out, both systems are doing well, yet we still have the 'my console is better' assholeishness going on?  great

I'll be over here playing my XB1 while my friends who DID buy one continue to not play any games with me on it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2347 on: December 03, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

Hey, my Drivatar wants to come visit. smile Sticking to the line more.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 03, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »

and with the impending collapse of XB1 and MS with it, (due to the colossal expense and the suckage of course) you'll soon be able to buy enough consoles from local thrift shops to build a house and live in it.  

amidoingthisfanboyismright?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 03, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 03, 2013, 06:13:58 PM

both systems are out, both systems are doing well, yet we still have the 'my console is better' assholeishness going on?  great

I'll be over here playing my XB1 while my friends who DID buy one continue to not play any games with me on it.

from what I hear in the Forza thread, it's probably due to your AI player kicking their asses so much that they've quit gaming altogether.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »

I've been playing every night.  No invite sent to me yet. frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 03, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 03, 2013, 06:15:37 PM

and with the impending collapse of XB1 and MS with it, (due to the colossal expense and the suckage of course) you'll soon be able to buy enough consoles from local thrift shops to build a house and live in it. 

amidoingthisfanboyismright?

spot on!

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: December 03, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »

Hey!  My brother was in town with his family over Tgiving.   He was playing a lot and I couldn't get away long enough to join a party.

From here on out I'm game for multiplay.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 03, 2013, 07:13:08 PM

Hey!  My brother was in town with his family over Tgiving.   He was playing a lot and I couldn't get away long enough to join a party.

From here on out I'm game for multiplay.

yeah, I've had annoying houseguests plus end of the school term, so I've been multitasking on my PC- playing games, writing papers and watching TV episodes online.  come this weekend I should be free to.... ah, who am I kidding, I am currently AssCreed 4's bitch, been playing that on one monitor while the other one has schoolstuff/videos/forums up.  Once I'm done with that though....

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »

I'm doing a Ryse review at the moment, having finished Dead Rising 3's. (gotta put that up on the site - it's just been hard with my "pager" going off constantly frown )

Pager is a representation of the on-call messages that are delivered, via SMS, to my phone.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: December 03, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 03, 2013, 06:22:47 PM

I've been playing every night.  No invite sent to me yet. frown
that's because no one likes you biggrin

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

Well, MS is posting these kinds of stats instead of sales numbers, so take from it what you will.

Edit - Sorry, I had put the joke one up where someone added in 2.1M PS4 sales.  Just edited to put the real one from MS.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:28:52 PM by The Grue » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: December 03, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »

I don't think it's fanboyism as much as it is schadenfreude due to Microsoft's hubris. I don't want to see Microsoft fail at all but I will enjoy seeing them come in consistently number two if that's what ends up happening.
As for the posting of numbers, I won't begrudge Microsoft for not doing so as Sony essentially took their ball and went home the entire last gen when it came to posting results.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

The numbers should be out from NPD next week anyway.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: December 03, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 03, 2013, 09:56:17 PM

As for the posting of numbers, I won't begrudge Microsoft for not doing so as Sony essentially took their ball and went home the entire last gen when it came to posting results.

They totally did, why is why it is funny that the roles have reversed.  It's like this weird bizarro reversal of last gen, except that even with their missteps, I think MS is in a better position now than Sony was last gen.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: