http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 09:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 39269 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2280 on: November 23, 2013, 04:38:47 AM »

Xbox, use a code. Also, the download queue is under "my games and apps" on the home screen. The ones on the the left are higher in the queue. You can bump stuff in queue by selecting the tile and hitting the "start" button which acts a whole lot like a right mouse click now.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: November 23, 2013, 05:09:28 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 23, 2013, 03:03:49 AM

1 million sold for the XB1 too! That's across all the areas it launched in, I forget where.

This is crazy if you also consider the PS4 sold another million in the US on the 15th. Then it still has Europe on the 29th.

Then the XB1 has other territories to launch in on top of that.

All together that means this new console generation is off to a huge start. We're talking about two launches for systems at full launch prices selling more than individually than any other console launch, but put together that's a lot of consoles out there.

I think with the 7-8 year gap since the release of the last gen, people were just looking forward to this new gen a great deal. Even I was tired of seeing the same developer tricks over and over to mask the aging hardware.

Doesn't matter what system you own, this is a very big freaking deal for all gamers. Even PC gamers will benefit because developers and publishers will more quickly move to the new system spec and techniques.

Death to crappy tablet gaming!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 23, 2013, 05:13:07 AM »

Ok...hitting the sack.   Updated thread title.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 23, 2013, 05:23:02 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 23, 2013, 05:13:07 AM

Ok...hitting the sack.   Updated thread title.
LOL
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 23, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »

friend got his and his dvd player is grinding.

He said it's a common problem.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 23, 2013, 06:02:47 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 23, 2013, 05:28:18 AM

Got his what? PS4? Xbox? DVD player?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: November 23, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »

For people with both, I'll be interested to hear feedback on how the booting, installing and loading are on each console. This article was interesting but it only tested one game. It looks like the PS4 coldboots significantly faster than the Xbox but I doubt that will be much of a factor because if most people are like me then their console has been sitting in standby mode while off for about the past 3 years at least. NBA 2k14 installed about 6 minutes faster on the PS4. Time to trot out the "just make a sandwich" retort again!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2287 on: November 23, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

I find it fascinating that despite industry experts claiming for years that console gaming's era is over because of tablets, we're now seeing the largest console launch (two of them, with each one being largest individually) ever. I'm sure none of them will admit to making a mistake though. It'll be all excuses or just shoving their prediction to the next console generation.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: November 23, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

XBOX FOUR!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2289 on: November 23, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

I've always seen tablets as filling a nice and functional computing niche, same for games. They will never take over from dedicated gaming because of the nature of their form factor. Even if you add on controller functionality to a tablet, that doesn't change the fact that tablets are absolutely designed to be small, lightweight, portable, and energy efficient.

And as a developer, I can see through all the tricks that the tablet/phone devs use to make their games look almost as good as console games, when in fact they just get away with it by cutting a whole lot of corners.

Which not to say that Tablets suck at gaming, it's just that tablets will have games that work for them, but just like how people still go to the movies even with the rise of home cinema, people still want powerful hardware pushed to the max in their living room.

Oh and, I'm in it for the PlayStation Tesseract in 2020 yo! Those Xbox Two people are out of their minds!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:44:47 AM by Turtle » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 23, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »

Yeah, I've never bought the "people just want to play games on tiny screens!" argument either. I love the hell out of some iPad games and play them all the time, but there's a BIG difference between a $60 AAA console title and a $4.99 iOS game. I don't know that the two will ever reach parity, because the dedicated console will always be more powerful.

If there's any truth to the death of consoles idea, it will be because the compute moves out of your living room and into the cloud. So yes, I can see the PS5 being a dumb box that streams games from Sony's servers, but I think we still have a long way to go to reach that point. In the meantime the VR stuff coming down the road is going to throw another wrench in the industry, and we don't really know how that's going to play out.

Good time to be a gamer though.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: November 23, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

While funny,  thread title should instead be updated for European PS4 launch.   Let's not forget our overseas friends.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 23, 2013, 12:55:48 PM

While funny,  thread title should instead be updated for European PS4 launch.   Let's not forget our overseas friends.

if they wanted to be counted they should live in Murica.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 23, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »

Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't read anything into both consoles' massive start other than both MS and Sony manufactured more than they ever had previously for their respective launches.

The true health of console gaming in this new generation will be determined by looking at game and console sales over the entire life of the consoles.

On another note, I'll bet Nintendo didn't send out any laudatory messages to either Sony or Microsoft. How many Wii U's have sold after a year? 4 million? Sony and MS got 25% there in 24 hours.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:13:46 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 23, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 23, 2013, 01:11:00 PM

Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't read anything into both consoles' massive start other than both MS and Sony manufactured more than they ever had previously for their respective launches.

The true health of console gaming in this new generation will be determined by looking at game and console sales over the entire life of the consoles.

On another note, I'll bet Nintendo didn't send out any laudatory messages to either Sony or Microsoft. How many Wii U's have sold after a year? 4 million? Sony and MS got 25% there in 24 hours.

Yep, thing that is kind of lost in all this MS vs Sony fighting, is just how bad Nintendo's future looks. The Wii U continues to have virtually no 3rd party support and is going to look worse and worse visually compared to both the Xb1 and PS4. Add to that the absolutely laughable online and account situation (you sell your system and you lose all your digital games, since they are DRM'd directly to the hardware, not the account)....you see a very bleak and sad future shaping up for Nintendo....but they brought this on themselves by refusing to change with the times and adopt a modern online gaming network and account system.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: November 23, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »

Nintendo stop trying to cater to the hardcore market and while the casuals make up a very huge market they are also very slow to upgrade.  Most casuals are probably still using the Wii.   I hope nintendo gets better, but they could dump the console and stick with 3DS line and still be successful.  They own that market

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2296 on: November 23, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »

Only problem is, they wouldn't own the market, because Apple own the market, with a distant but closing Android market getting up all the ground with all the successful Google branded device launches.

That's what Nintendo has been competing with, especially in their primary, Japanese, market where phones and tablets have taken over almost completely. Nintendo still makes money, but they are definitely hurting from that.

Thing is, Nintendo does a style of game that's fallen out of favor, the 4+ player local play game.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: November 23, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 23, 2013, 01:48:13 PM

Nintendo stop trying to cater to the hardcore market and while the casuals make up a very huge market they are also very slow to upgrade.  Most casuals are probably still using the Wii.

Because most casuals thought the Wii U was just a Wii with a different controller. Nintendo's messaging was horrible for it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 23, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

Everyone in Japan is playing Puzzle Dragon. That must hurt Nintendo's bottom line a lot (and the other consoles).
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 23, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 23, 2013, 06:02:47 AM

Sorry thought i was in the xbox one thread.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 23, 2013, 03:41:21 PM

Does it just happen with DVD's or blueray discs too and games?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: November 23, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 23, 2013, 04:10:48 PM

Quote from: naednek on November 23, 2013, 03:41:21 PM

Does it just happen with DVD's or blueray discs too and games?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/xbox-one-early-adopters-reporting-hardware-problems
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:11:37 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: November 23, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 23, 2013, 11:40:15 AM

XBOX FOUR!!!!

I asked Siri to remind me to buy a new console in 2920 days and, by god, I have a reminder set for November 21, 2021 at 9am. 

If I still have an iPhone at that time (unlikely), I'll see how on target Duncan is.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: November 23, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 23, 2013, 04:25:37 PM

XBOX FOUR!!!!

I asked Siri to remind me to buy a new console in 2920 days and, by god, I have a reminder set for November 21, 2021 at 9am. 

If I still have an iPhone at that time (unlikely), I'll see how on target Duncan is.

You will BE the iPhone at that time.  And regardless it's on whatever calendar you use so you'll likely get it anyway!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: November 23, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »

XBOX FOUR!!!!

The X4, featuring dance-control games where you must dance calypso to control games. Will come bundled with 'Halo 16th' and 'Call Of Duty: Infinite War 3' (When China invades Afghanistan, the US most take action to prevent a North Korean-controlled Russia from forcing Iran into nuking it all up, while South America finally decides to get its shit together and invade Texas).. A X4 exclusive! Let's not forget XBox live, with a yearly subscription of $2500 so you can play multiplayer.. XBox live also keeps complete records of your medical records, private information, social security numbers, and it even takes DNA samples each and everytime you turn on the console.  nod
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: November 27, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »

Hmmm... Maybe it's time to add the Steam Box to the next gen discussion if the rumored price is correct. That would cover the vast majority of the games I want to play on either the XBone or PS4. Plus I would already have a library AND backlog for it. Plus I can play purchases on it or a PC.... Very intrigued....

-John

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2306 on: November 27, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »

2 more days...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: November 27, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »

msduncan hasn't been updating the thread title!

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2308 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:20 AM »

1 day...
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: November 28, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 23, 2013, 08:47:17 AM

I find it fascinating that despite industry experts claiming for years that console gaming's era is over because of tablets, we're now seeing the largest console launch (two of them, with each one being largest individually) ever. I'm sure none of them will admit to making a mistake though. It'll be all excuses or just shoving their prediction to the next console generation.

I guess it is like when the industry experts claiming that PC gaming is dying. smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: November 28, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 01:57:24 PM

msduncan hasn't been updating the thread title!

The drink that never ends.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »

So I was at Best Buy today running an errand. I was stunned to see they had (at least) 2 XBones in stock. I couldn't believe they had restocked so quickly. Years ago, I would have bought it on the spot with DR3, but I just can't afford to make $560 impulse purchases anymore. No PS4s in stock that I could see.

Also, FINALLY, Best Buy now has playable demos for the new systems. So, I finally got to hold the much ballyhooed DualShock 4 for the first time. I was very impressed. I still prefer the XBone/360/Wavebird left stick placement. But, the DS4 was by far the most comfortable I felt using the left stick in the lower, non-offset position. I was very impressed.

Still not nearly enough games for either console to make me really want to dump $400-500 for them. Now that I feel comfortable with the DS4, I will really have a tough choice whenever I do decide to jump into the next gen. And... I do want to see what happens when Steam Boxes comes out...

-John

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2312 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »

While returning an FM transmitter today, I saw a couple PS4's in the wild. BB got some of both, and IIRC there were 2 PS4s left on the shelf after one of the employees walked over and picked one up.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »

still haven't seen any Ps4 or XB1s in the wild myself.  No actual demo kiosks either, which is odd because the nearest Walmart used to have 4 set up:  Wii U, 360, Ps3, Vita.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:12:07 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »

spotted no wild systems or working kiosks.  seems odd considering how close I am to Redmond that they don't even bother to get working systems to show off in their own back yard, but I guess they wanted as many on the shelf.  same for Sony. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 02, 2013, 06:09:40 AM

still haven't seen any Ps4 or XB1s in the wild myself.  No actual demo kiosks either, which is odd because the nearest Walmart used to have 4 set up:  Wii U, 360, Ps3, Vita.

I got mine nine days after launch at a Best Buy and it wasn't out in the wild. I went to the customer service desk and asked if they had any for sale and they brought out someone else's unclaimed pre-order. Apparently they only guarantee to hold them for a week and after they start selling them off bit by bit. The guy said they had almost 50 in the back room partially paid for and unclaimed so they were selling off 4-5 per day until the stock was gone. They weren't going on the shelf though, you had to ask for them. Usually they were gone within an hour of the store opening. I got lucky as I just happened to be in the area and decided to pop in right when they opened.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 02, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »

Xbone dominates PS4 in Black Friday sales numbers
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 02, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

Meaningless stat, and I'm not sure how accurate anyways.  Black Friday is pretty much irrelevant when both consoles launched within two weeks of it,  I doubt this has any meaningful impact on the November sales numbers.  Has MS even broken 1 million in the US yet?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »

yeah msduncan, you should know that it only means anything if the PS4 is ahead.  SHEESH, GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!!

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 02, 2013, 07:58:37 PM

Quote from: msduncan on December 02, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

Meaningless stat, and I'm not sure how accurate anyways.  Black Friday is pretty much irrelevant when both consoles launched within two weeks of it,  I doubt this has any meaningful impact on the November sales numbers.  Has MS even broken 1 million in the US yet?

LOL seriously?   They broke 1 million in the first 24 hours....
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: