http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 09:54:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 35555 times)
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 22, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 22, 2013, 05:24:44 PM

I already got s Hetz impression

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: November 22, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »

I've got a Hetz impression:

Sony! Sony! Sony! Awesome! Sony!

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 22, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »

Does anyone else suspect that Hetz's silence is just him trying to come to terms with the fact that he actually loves the Xbone and is having trouble dealing with it after all the bashing? I picture him curled up on the floor spooning it's massive 1980 VCR like box.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: November 22, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »

I picked mine up! It is in my hands!

Unfortunately I have to work since some assholes scheduled four hours worth of meetings this afternoon. So impressions won't be incoming until late, late tonight or early tomorrow morning. Killing me.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 22, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 22, 2013, 06:07:25 PM

I've got a Hetz impression:

Sony! Sony! Sony! Awesome! Sony!

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

icon_lol

Seriously though, I've been holding off on my impressions...since I have yet to play a game on it. I will do that later this afternoon.

I can however give my impressions of the interface/UI. It is both awesome and confusing at the same time. The potential is there, no question about it. The concept is incredible and it mostly works. As I expected, Kinect is not flawless or even a massive improvement this time around. I'd call it more Kinect 1.5, rather than Kinect 2.0. Does it work better than the original, yes....most of the time. It is able to ID me much better than the old Kinect. The old Kinect used to think I was merged with a chair or part of someone else that was playing much of the time. No such problems this time. It can track me fairly well and not get confused when others are in the room. The voice control however, is hit and miss. Even when talking slow and when nobody else is talking. It works most of the time....but when it fails, it does so epically. It will open the wrong app or snap something to the side when I never even mentioned anything about snap.

My main issue with the UI is this....it is confusing as hell. There is so much going on that you really have to dig to find what it is you are looking for sometimes. I am sure I will get better at it, but as of right now....I like the PS4 UI better. Sure, it is not as complex or maybe even complete as the UI on the XB1, but I know right where everything is and can access it right away. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out everything on it. I am still figuring out stuff on the XB1, which can be good as there is a LOT of stuff in it....but also bad cause it's still quite daunting. I like to think I am pretty seasoned in electronics/computing etc...I shudder to think what some parent that purchased this for their children for Christmas will think. Hopefully they can make things a little more clear as the UI progresses.

I do like the "Challenges" thing. They are basically 0pt achievements that can be earned for pretty much all the apps and games. You can win Avatar items or in game items by completing these timed challenges....like killing 5,000 zombies in Dead Rising 3 in the next 6 days. Pretty awesome.

Anyway, those are my first quick thoughts on it....all in all....I like it. It's new and different. I am looking forward to seeing what the games are like later today.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:29:55 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 22, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

Mine just arrived, has been unboxed, and is now patching.

Fit and finish:

1.  The Day One boxing was great.   black, sexy, with a lot of girth
2.  The console itself is smaller than I had built it up to be in my mind.   I love the modern, simple, elegant looks.   
3.  I love love love the controller.   It is the old familiar and mostly perfect 360 style controller.    No surprises.
4.  It's patching fast.   In the time it took me to type this, the update went from 0 to 20%
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: November 22, 2013, 06:32:43 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 22, 2013, 05:24:44 PM

I already got s Hetz impression

Yep, you did. smile

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 22, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 22, 2013, 06:31:30 PM

Fit and finish:

2.  The console itself is smaller than I had built it up to be in my mind.   I love the modern, simple, elegant looks.   
3.  I love love love the controller.   It is the old familiar and mostly perfect 360 style controller.    No surprises.
4.  It's patching fast.   In the time it took me to type this, the update went from 0 to 20%

Phrasing!

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 22, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

Fit and finish:

Yeah, I was expecting a meltdown of the servers. This is one big thing that MS did right over Sony. It was a flawless install and Live works. None of the PSN problems that Sony had.

Kudos to Microsoft!  thumbsup

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 22, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

How do you guys like the bumpers? That's the one thing about the controller people seem to be complaining about.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: November 22, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 22, 2013, 06:34:35 PM

Fit and finish:

Phrasing!

So we have a long distance boning that is black sexy and has lots of girth. Sir Mix a Lot approves.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: November 22, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 22, 2013, 06:45:48 PM

How do you guys like the bumpers? That's the one thing about the controller people seem to be complaining about.

I'm afraid to try them while the patching it doing it's thing.  Tongue

Will report back in a few
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: November 22, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 22, 2013, 06:45:48 PM

I read somewhere that the idea is to rest your fingers on the bumpers in addition to the triggers, they are firmer than the 360 controller to prevent accidental actuation but once you get the hang of it they are supposed to work well.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: November 22, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »

NOTE:   After the patch downloads and the system reboots, it comes up to the green Xbone screen.    LEAVE IT ALONE.   It takes a while to configure all the files on the initial boot.   It may appear stuck or frozen but it is NOT.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: November 22, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »

I've already taken to calling my Xbox the Big Black Bitch. Which I am aware is both misogynistic and kind of racist but it's just so much fun to say.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »

Just a heads up.  There is a long pause at a green xbox screen on initial startup (like 2-3 minutes).  I was beginning to get worried before the screen finally changed.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: November 22, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

You know what's awesome?    I can't remember my gd live password, so I'm done the recovery and have been waiting for my reset code for 10 minutes.    I bet they are overloaded.   The damned thing is useless until I get that code.  Oh, and my local internet speeds just bottomed out to 12kb per sec again.     

I'm going to call the phone company and make someone's day here in a minute.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:33:46 PM by msduncan » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: November 22, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »

Giant Bomb just started a live stream covering the XB1,  I'll watch while waiting for UPS to show (probably 4 hours al least to go).
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

Remembered password.    Text never showed up.    Internet is MOLASSES slow.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: November 22, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »

Internet is back to 500 kb/s.    Ugh I hate the internet out here in the boonies.

Anyway, everything works and so far works well.   I was able to issue voice commands without any problems.   I couldn't find 'Settings' by using the controller, so I finally gave up and said 'Xbox, Go to settings' and boom.... instantly to settings.   

Hetz... have you figure out how to turn the TV back off after starting it?    I went home but the TV was still playing in the little window (with the TV sound coming through).

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: November 22, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »

Is the smart Glass app working as I cant get my phone to connect to xbox?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: November 22, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

well, it just got here.  The UPS driver ninja delivered it, didn't even knock at the door.  not sure I'm in the mood to hook it up now with other annoyances, may just call it a night and go to bed disgust

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2262 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:42 PM »

How are install times on the Xbox One? There's been some debate over this at NeoGAF today, with some people claiming install times for Ryse well over an hour (seemingly partly because of mandatory software updates that are downloaded before the installation begins) before they were even allowed to start the game, while others claim much shorter install times. I was expecting it to work similarly to the PS4, which I've heard is very fast at least. Hetz, msduncan, you've tried both systems, right?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 22, 2013, 10:25:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 22, 2013, 09:53:42 PM

How are install times on the Xbox One? There's been some debate over this at NeoGAF today, with some people claiming install times for Ryse well over an hour (seemingly partly because of mandatory software updates that are downloaded before the installation begins) before they were even allowed to start the game, while others claim much shorter install times. I was expecting it to work similarly to the PS4, which I've heard is very fast at least. Hetz, msduncan, you've tried both systems, right?

I just put in Ryse and there is a 1158mb patch that needs to be downloaded for it. I don't know if it downloads that first or installs the game first, I'm honestly not sure how to tell....all I know is that it is installing now. It's at 1% after about 3 minutes.....

It did take quite awhile for Dead Rising 3 to install, but I didn't time it. If I had to guess, I believe it took around 20 minutes. The PS4 seems much faster in this area.

*edit* There was a patch for Dead Rising 3 as well, I believe it was around 500MB.

*edit 2* The Xbox just popped up while I was watching TV with a notification that Ryse was "Ready To Start". It's not done installing....but I can start it after about 10 minutes or so.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 10:33:28 PM by Hetz » Logged

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »

I think I've figured out that when you install a game, it factors into the % left to install any patches that are needed for it.   So you see 1%, but what you are really not seeing is the patch download that is taking place.   

Does that make sense?   Dead Rising stayed at 1% for a while, but then once it got past 5% it not only said it could start playing but also it sped up big time.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: November 22, 2013, 10:34:24 PM »

I'm currently in the middle of downloading the day one patch  .. it been about 20 min and I am about 50% done. I get good spend with Comcast so I'm thinking my router might be the bottleneck...  been itching to upgrade my router so this might be a good time

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 22, 2013, 10:33:03 PM

I think I've figured out that when you install a game, it factors into the % left to install any patches that are needed for it.   So you see 1%, but what you are really not seeing is the patch download that is taking place.   

Does that make sense?   Dead Rising stayed at 1% for a while, but then once it got past 5% it not only said it could start playing but also it sped up big time.

Yeah, I get what you are saying and that is probably correct. It kind of goes back to what I was saying though about the UI being rather confusing. If there is any big knock on it, it's that nothing is really explained all that well and there is no way to really see what is going on "behind the scenes", like you could on the 360. I think this will be corrected in time, but right now its kind of annoying me.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:50 PM »

I'm watching the GB livestream at the moment, and the party/multiplayer looks to be a mess, and I'm not talking about server overload issues.  Why did MS change this so much from 360?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: November 22, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 22, 2013, 08:16:28 PM

Internet is back to 500 kb/s.    Ugh I hate the internet out here in the boonies.

Anyway, everything works and so far works well.   I was able to issue voice commands without any problems.   I couldn't find 'Settings' by using the controller, so I finally gave up and said 'Xbox, Go to settings' and boom.... instantly to settings.   

Hetz... have you figure out how to turn the TV back off after starting it?    I went home but the TV was still playing in the little window (with the TV sound coming through).

Took me awhile to figure out. You highlight the window, then push the button that used to be the start button.....one of the options that comes up is Quit Application. Push that and it will stop.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 22, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »

The core voice commands seem to work *very* well.   By core I mean 'Xbox on', 'Xbox home', 'Xbox Go to TV', 'Xbox Play Dead Rising 3'.

When you get off the beaten path and start trying to guess commands beyond that is where you get into trouble.    I love the ability to voice on and off and go home and to the TV though.    Those are the ones they HAD to make work and they did.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »

Is there a download progress list anywhere?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:35 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 23, 2013, 12:04:51 AM

If there is....I haven't found it yet....   icon_confused

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 23, 2013, 01:06:32 AM »

Now begins my favorite part... both consoles are launched, and I can start the hunt to find one in the wild on a shelf somewhere. My prediction is I won't until January, but who knows, maybe I get lucky.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: November 23, 2013, 01:18:58 AM »

Voice commands work much better than the IGN video..  I am getting about a 99% success rate so far.  There is a learning curve but help works for that

Has anyone figured out how to put the Xbox into stand by mode?

NiM$
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 23, 2013, 01:27:48 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 23, 2013, 01:18:58 AM

Voice commands work much better than the IGN video..  I am getting about a 99% success rate so far.  There is a learning curve but help works for that

Has anyone figured out how to put the Xbox into stand by mode?

Need to find the right words for redeeming a code.  I've tired "xbox redeem a code" and various other wordings with no luck but other commands seem to work just fine.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 23, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 23, 2013, 12:04:51 AM

On Battlefield 4 the splash screen had two progress meters, one for the campaign and one for the full game.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 23, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »

Xbox, Have a Code

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 23, 2013, 01:36:20 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on November 23, 2013, 01:06:32 AM

Now begins my favorite part... both consoles are launched, and I can start the hunt to find one in the wild on a shelf somewhere. My prediction is I won't until January, but who knows, maybe I get lucky.
I don't think it will be as hard as you think. Both seem to have got their production in order this time around. I've seen anecdotal reports of people going into their local Walmart and Target and seeing as many as two or four xbones sitting there (lol my keyboard auto corrects to xbone even when I want to say xboxes).
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 23, 2013, 01:46:37 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 23, 2013, 01:36:20 AM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on November 23, 2013, 01:06:32 AM

I don't think it will be as hard as you think. Both seem to have got their production in order this time around. I've seen anecdotal reports of people going into their local Walmart and Target and seeing as many as two or four xbones sitting there (lol my keyboard auto corrects to xbone even when I want to say xboxes).

Possible, but I'm in NYC. While the supply coming here is probably better, the foot traffic is high enough at a lot of places that I suspect any stragglers will get snapped up pretty quick. That, and I'm not exactly going out of my way for either yet - Titanfall's release, and a next-gen MLB The Show, might be the only things that I'm -really- looking forward to right now in the generation.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2279 on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:49 AM »

1 million sold for the XB1 too! That's across all the areas it launched in, I forget where.

This is crazy if you also consider the PS4 sold another million in the US on the 15th. Then it still has Europe on the 29th.

Then the XB1 has other territories to launch in on top of that.

All together that means this new console generation is off to a huge start. We're talking about two launches for systems at full launch prices selling more than individually than any other console launch, but put together that's a lot of consoles out there.

I think with the 7-8 year gap since the release of the last gen, people were just looking forward to this new gen a great deal. Even I was tired of seeing the same developer tricks over and over to mask the aging hardware.

Doesn't matter what system you own, this is a very big freaking deal for all gamers. Even PC gamers will benefit because developers and publishers will more quickly move to the new system spec and techniques.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:07:11 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: