http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 12:39:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 45289 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2040 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 04:26:18 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 20, 2013, 04:20:00 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on November 20, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

seeing the ign raw video makes me a bit bummed.  the voice commands don't appear to work any better than they did in Kinect 1.0.  in fact, it felt pretty much exactly what I remember with Kinect 1.0.  it seems like half of the time, the commands need to be repeated.  

From what I'm reading, there's a learning curve in figuring out how the Kinect wants to hear commands. If you just say "XboxForzaMotorsport5" it's not going to work and you're going to think it's non-responsive. You have to do a short pause after the Xbox to notify the unit you're about to issue the command. The IGN guy was running his words together quite often when it didn't respond. (Though I was surprised that even when he was running his words together it was still able to understand him quite often).

If you watch the video there were several times where the dude just wasn't using the right command. (For instance, saying "Xbox what's on MTV" before doing a Select).

Now I don't believe for a second that voice recognition is 100% perfect on the thing, but it is a machine and you can't blame it for not interpreting your intentions.

See, but this was the problem with the Kinect 1 and why the Kinect 2 seems to be no better. This is the real world, not a controlled environment where everyone knows exactly what to say and how to say it. In theory, the Kinect is awesome. In the real world...it sucks. Why MS insists on shoving the thing down everyone's throat, I don't know. It doesn't work.

Give me an Xbox One, without Kinect, for $399. That is what they should have done from the start.

Also, the voice commands for the Bone is no different from any cutting edge smart phone or google voice.  You have to learn how to speak to these devices as well.  Even Dragon is this way.   Once you figure it it, it works very well and you do it without thinking.
yeah, he's not enunciating his words as clearly as he should.  I think if we had the Prez doing the demo, everything would have worked just fine.  slywink

I still heard enough to see that he's contributing to some of it's unresponsiveness.  but almost as often, he's clear enough that it should have understood him.  there's a reason that the demo of this back at e3 and the reveal day was done by a pro and not some rando from the crowd.  nevermind what happens once someone with an accent gets this.  once this hits people's households, it needs to perform as advertised, not passive-aggressively become your new speech therapist.  

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 20, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

Bill Harris's take on the new generation.

We have a PS4.

Via Amazon, of course, because I buy almost everything from Amazon. So instead of the midnight launch I went to for the 360--about one hundred years ago--I waited for the UPS driver (who is the most kickass delivery driver ever) to ring the doorbell.

Late in the afternoon, he did.

I really wanted to get excited about this launch. I really wanted to think that this new generation was going to be a game changer, whatever that means.

We bought Assassin's Creed and NBA2K14, and 2K14, in particular looks pretty phenomenal. I was strangely unmoved, though, and so was Eli. Assassin's Creed didn't look as good as I'd expected, really, and the first half hour bored me to death.

The question, of course, is "Is it just me?" The answer, I'm betting, is "No." I think I understand why, too, and it relates to supply and demand.

Even back in the 1980s, there were lots of games. I remember going to Electronics Boutique almost every Wednesday (hello, manager John Harwood!) and looking through the new releases, and there were plenty. Sure, there were periods, that were a little dry, but there were always games to play.

Today, though, supply has gone from ample to infinite. I have instant access to well over ten thousand games. Actually, that might be one hundred thousand, if you just added Steam and iOS and Android together.

I think infinite supply has an effect on desire.

What this means for the new consoles, more than ever, is that the games have to stand out. They have to be brilliant, because if they're not, they will be subsumed by the infinity of supply.

Let's take a look at the Metacritic scores for the PS4 launch games. Wait, let's note something far more ominous than the scores: of twenty-four launch games, only eleven even have had the necessary four reviews to even get a Metacritic score.

Okay, here are the review scores: 89,87, 85,85,83, 82,78,77,73,66,54.

That looks pretty strong, right? It is, for the brographic--the top four rated games are FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, NBA2K14, and Need For Speed Rivals.

I believe this is what's known as doubling down on bros.

Here's the problem, though. I believe that bros, unlike game supply, are not in infinite supply. And the Xbro One is doubling down on bros as well.

I don't think this can possibly work. Not for both consoles.

Of course, the WiiU isn't like that at all, and it's completely imploded. So it's possible that all three of these consoles, by historical sales standards, are going to fail.

However, having said that, even though Sony committed my #1 Launch Sin in not including a must-have game with the system, they've done quite a bit right this time. For starters, they didn't over-engineer the console. The PS3 was so over-engineered that it was downright comical. Not this time, though--the PS4 architecture is simple and powerful, and developing for the system will be far easier.

Also, and this is huge, Sony's current cost to build the PS4 is approximately $381. So instead of losing $200-$300 a unit (PS3 launch), they're actually profitable on the box at launch. That's huge, and it means that they have a very favorable cost structure for reducing the price of the PS4 fairly quickly.

The interface is cleaner, it's quiet (when it's not installing something from the Blu-ray drive), and it doesn't run hot. That's three other items they've fixed from the PS3 generation.

The new controller? Terrific.

Here's my biggest problem with evaluating the prospects for the PS4, and this is going to be very true of most analysts (who skew older): I have zero interest in all the social gaming possibilities. I can't even evaluate those features properly in terms of their potential for driving console sales. All the social crap is my blind spot.

If you look at this strictly based on history, though, Sony has put out a well designed, powerful, meat and potatoes console, and based on the cost structure, they would appear to be in a very strong position. And if they had packed in an Uncharted game or something equally popular, I think they would be in a dominant position.

Their biggest problem, certainly, is that historical standards may no longer apply.

I'm sure we'll eventually get the Xbro One (seriously, don't hassle me about using that name, because I'm just not stopping), now that they backed off what I thought were some fairly draconian policies. As soon as we see a must-have game, we'll be there.

I just don't know how long that's going to take.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2042 on: November 20, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »

or maybe the presence of Siri, Google Now, Kinect, and PS4 voice commands will result in the loss of regional dialects and we can finally live free of the horrors that is the southern drowl,  the lack of 'R's in Bostonian, and whatever passes for communication in Minnesota.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 20, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »

Bottom line is, speaking from someone that has a PS4 and have been playing it all week, Xbone is pushing the envelope.   PS4 is essentially PS3 2.0.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:49:56 PM

or maybe the presence of Siri, Google Now, Kinect, and PS4 voice commands will result in the loss of regional dialects and we can finally live free of the horrors that is the southern drowl,  the lack of 'R's in Bostonian, and whatever passes for communication in Minnesota.

y'all pass the chowdah, yah?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2045 on: November 20, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2013, 04:52:08 PM

Quote from: Caine on November 20, 2013, 04:49:56 PM

or maybe the presence of Siri, Google Now, Kinect, and PS4 voice commands will result in the loss of regional dialects and we can finally live free of the horrors that is the southern drowl,  the lack of 'R's in Bostonian, and whatever passes for communication in Minnesota.

y'all pass the chowdah, yah?

see?  completely unintelligible. 

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 20, 2013, 05:01:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 20, 2013, 04:42:41 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 20, 2013, 04:34:05 PM

Xbone lacks proper storage management....you cant even tell how much space you have left on the internal hard drive.

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-lacks-proper-storage-management-microsoft-says-it-is-automatic

It's automatic!   icon_lol

Oh and remember, there is currently no way to upgrade the hard drive at all. USB drives are not supported yet. So, there is no way to tell how much space you have left on the drive....and you can't upgrade the drive at all. Seems fair.   Roll Eyes

From what I can gather out of that article, the console will probably delete your least used games as you start to run out of space, which means the user will never experience the concept of actually running out. It's a neat idea, but it should be optional for those who prefer to handle these things manually.

If that's true I hope there is a way to turn it off. I still have PS3 launch games on my HDD that I haven't played since 2007, but I still won't erase them, I like having them there. Not to mention it will suck having to re-download a multi Gig title simply because the Xbone erased it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 20, 2013, 05:01:15 PM

Xbone lacks proper storage management....you cant even tell how much space you have left on the internal hard drive.

http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-one-lacks-proper-storage-management-microsoft-says-it-is-automatic

Oh and remember, there is currently no way to upgrade the hard drive at all. USB drives are not supported yet. So, there is no way to tell how much space you have left on the drive....and you can't upgrade the drive at all. Seems fair.   Roll Eyes

From what I can gather out of that article, the console will probably delete your least used games as you start to run out of space, which means the user will never experience the concept of actually running out. It's a neat idea, but it should be optional for those who prefer to handle these things manually.

If that's true I hope there is a way to turn it off. I still have PS3 launch games on my HDD that I haven't played since 2007, but I still won't erase them, I like having them there. Not to mention it will suck having to re-download a multi Gig title simply because the Xbone erased it.

Why does it matter?  It will keep your saves and thus all you have to do if you decide to play an old game is to reinstall before picking up where you left off....
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 04:50:40 PM

Bottom line is, speaking from someone that has a PS4 and have been playing it all week, Xbone is pushing the envelope.   PS4 is essentially PS3 2.0.

What envelope is this thing pushing, exactly?  TV integration?  Oh, well not if you want more than stereo sound.  Kinect?  Well, only if you launch things by having great annunciation and with the proper marketing branding (XBox, launch Redbox Instant by Verizon).  Content management?  Sure, if you want them to decide for you which content stays and which goes.  They had some cool ideas and I was willing to give this a shot and maybe buy one at launch, but from what I have read in reviews (I wish they wouldn't score these stupid things), I am definitely waiting.

Meanwhile, I am playing games on my PS3 2.0 and loving it.  I wish MS had done the same and put the time and money into making the XBO perform better in that regard.  They wasted it trying to do this other stuff and then did it half-assed.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2049 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 05:04:16 PM

Oh and remember, there is currently no way to upgrade the hard drive at all. USB drives are not supported yet. So, there is no way to tell how much space you have left on the drive....and you can't upgrade the drive at all. Seems fair.   Roll Eyes

Why does it matter?  It will keep your saves and thus all you have to do if you decide to play an old game is to reinstall before picking up where you left off....

I posted about this in the Xbox thread since the conversation was going there, but while I was typing the conversation apparently continued here as well. I should have just posted in this thread in the first place. Oh well.

Anyway, here's what I wrote in the other thread:

It is a cool feature for most people, though the "hardcore" players should probably have an option to manage this for themselves. I'm sure it'll be coming. Here's the biggest problem with this kind of thing: Downloads.

Take Rock Band 3. I've got that game with a whole lot of DLC, but I don't play it very often. Sometimes I'll get the urge to sit down and play a few tunes though. What if my console had decided to delete the game and its DLC in the meantime? I would have to go through the install again, as well as have to download and install the DLC all over again. Sure, it would all be automatic, but how long would it take? My sudden urge to play the game would likely fizzle and die on the spot.

This goes for downloadable games too. Imagine downloading a 40GB game for your console, something that is going to be pretty common in this new generation. Then suddenly the console decides to delete it because you haven't played it in a while and you've been playing a bunch of other games instead. If you want to play it again, you have to download those 40GBs all over again. That's not good.

Don't get me wrong, I like the feature and find it wonderfully clever. I can even imagine Sony copying this concept in the future. It should just be possible to override for those who like control, IMO.

Edit: Also patches.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: November 20, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »

Why does it matter?  It will keep your saves and thus all you have to do if you decide to play an old game is to reinstall before picking up where you left off....

It matters because I live out in the boonies and my internet is SLOW. It's capped at 300k Download speeds on a good day. So your 20 gig game will take me an entire day to download. Deciding to play a game that was erased when I never told the machine to erase it could be a real hassle. This all goes back to Microsoft's arrogance in thinking that all XBox users have great internet. In the US we do not. People in the city do, but if you live anywhere more than 4 miles from a city you are screwed.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »

I also live in the boons.    As a result I buy most of my games hard copy.  I don't usually even download electronic only copy games, but I can do it overnight if I really can't get it by other means.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 20, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 20, 2013, 05:07:28 PM

What envelope is this thing pushing, exactly?  TV integration?  Oh, well not if you want more than stereo sound.  Kinect?  Well, only if you launch things by having great annunciation and with the proper marketing branding (XBox, launch Redbox Instant by Verizon).  Content management?  Sure, if you want them to decide for you which content stays and which goes.  They had some cool ideas and I was willing to give this a shot and maybe buy one at launch, but from what I have read in reviews (I wish they wouldn't score these stupid things), I am definitely waiting.

Meanwhile, I am playing games on my PS3 2.0 and loving it.  I wish MS had done the same and put the time and money into making the XBO perform better in that regard.  They wasted it trying to do this other stuff and then did it half-assed.

Yeah!  If they had only concentrated on games like DR3, Forza, and Titanfall they could have had a worthy game like Knack!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2053 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 20, 2013, 05:09:49 PM

It matters because I live out in the boonies and my internet is SLOW. It's capped at 300k Download speeds on a good day. So your 20 gig game will take me an entire day to download. Deciding to play a game that was erased when I never told the machine to erase it could be a real hassle. This all goes back to Microsoft's arrogance in thinking that all XBox users have great internet. In the US we do not. People in the city do, but if you live anywhere more than 4 miles from a city you are screwed.

excellent point.  if they have such a feature, let us set which games are locked installed and not part of this auto-deletion.  disc-based installs should be cleared before any DL and DLC is dropped.  if they don't have this basic functionality, then they better get it patched in. 

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 20, 2013, 02:45:28 PM

That seems really silly.  Maybe it's technologically difficult to do it?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2055 on: November 20, 2013, 05:35:29 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 05:18:30 PM

Yeah!  If they had only concentrated on games like DR3, Forza, and Titanfall they could have had a worthy game like Knack!
good thing Capcom and EA were there with their hands open for bribing exclusivity clauses.  also, DR3 isn't a perfect example of a launch game from what the reviews are saying, and Titanfall isn't even close to being a launch day game.  I'd have used Killzone instead of Knack btw.  or Knack vs Lococycle if you wanted crappy launch games to compare

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: November 20, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »

Bottom line is, speaking from someone that has a PS4 and have been playing it all week, Xbone is pushing the envelope.   PS4 is essentially PS3 2.0.

What envelope is this thing pushing, exactly?  TV integration?  Oh, well not if you want more than stereo sound.  Kinect?  Well, only if you launch things by having great annunciation and with the proper marketing branding (XBox, launch Redbox Instant by Verizon).  Content management?  Sure, if you want them to decide for you which content stays and which goes.  They had some cool ideas and I was willing to give this a shot and maybe buy one at launch, but from what I have read in reviews (I wish they wouldn't score these stupid things), I am definitely waiting.

Meanwhile, I am playing games on my PS3 2.0 and loving it.  I wish MS had done the same and put the time and money into making the XBO perform better in that regard.  They wasted it trying to do this other stuff and then did it half-assed.

Agreed - I really want the TV stuff to work and work well but right now it's DOA. No PVR controls + no Surround Sound + no actual direct integration = Are you fucking kidding me?

It's a box of promises... and like I've probably said dozens of times in this thread, as a product guy, I know buying based on promise is a poor decision. I'll wait for delivery.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »

Still waiting for reviews of Xbox Fitness, that is my most anticipated feature and I'm curious to see how Kinect tracks pulse rate and movement. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 20, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 20, 2013, 05:18:30 PM

I actually really like Knack, so sure.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 20, 2013, 06:30:54 PM »

Quote from: ATB
That seems really silly.  Maybe it's technologically difficult to do it?

It's not difficult. I've seen one review (still trying to find it) where there was an option to turn on a beta version of 5.1 pass-through on the box. It's just not turned on by default. I expect this whole thing to be a non-issue pretty soon.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2060 on: November 20, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »

Bottom line is, speaking from someone that has a PS4 and have been playing it all week, Xbone is pushing the envelope.  

The more I reviews I read about the Xbone, the more intrigued I am.  My current consoles do more "family media" than gaming these days... If they can work out all the kinks and have it function like I'm sure they want it to, it could be very interesting.  Considering how drastically different the 360 from 2005 is compared to today, I'm sure it will get there - eventually.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 20, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 20, 2013, 06:33:46 PM

Bottom line is, speaking from someone that has a PS4 and have been playing it all week, Xbone is pushing the envelope.  

The more I reviews I read about the Xbone, the more intrigued I am.  My current consoles do more "family media" than gaming these days... If they can work out all the kinks and have it function like I'm sure they want it to, it could be very interesting.  Considering how drastically different the 360 from 2005 is compared to today, I'm sure it will get there - eventually.

This is my take on it too. I'm thinking the Xbone will be a Fall 2014 purchase for me. Just enough time for them to work out all the kinks and make it a really awesome machine.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 20, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »

Here's a video of a guy from Gizmodo who actually knows how to use the voice commands:

http://vimeo.com/79823117

He hits a couple of brief snags, but overall it's really impressive.

Note - the one instance where it seems he really has trouble pausing the music, he's using the wrong command. This is where I'm talking about how there will be a learning curve. I'm also guessing MS will start patching in alias commands so that multiple variations will work (i.e. "Pause" contextually within Music section, vs having to say "Pause Music")

Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmRA7v2kaA

Now, to take Hetz' complaint into account, if you wanted you could use the controller to do simple UI navigation, and only resort to voice when you want to do more complex tasks like uploading game footage. I think it's clear from these videos that the voice recognition works well enough that using it sparingly for specific tasks should work great even for people who don't really want to use it all the time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:44:43 PM by YellowKing » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »

Another weird XBox thing I just heard about on the Bombcast.  Let's say you're msduncan and your beloved Tide are playing a nobody school (besides LSU) and it's on ESPN U.  You say, "XBox, watch ESPN U."  Well, apparently it stops listening after ESPN.  But wait, there is a workaround.  You can pin the channels that have names past that first part to your pin area, cluttering up that pin area and diluting its usefulness, so that you can get it to keep listening.  I think there are like 8 HBOs, so you can pin the other 7 up there.

I admire them for going out on a limb on this, but at the same time, you gotta make this stuff work.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 20, 2013, 06:38:39 PM

Quote from: Laner on November 20, 2013, 06:33:46 PM

This is my take on it too. I'm thinking the Xbone will be a Fall 2014 purchase for me. Just enough time for them to work out all the kinks and make it a really awesome machine.

I'm thinking along similar lines, but it has more to do with there actually possibly being a Halo game available then.   slywink
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2065 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »

the Kotaku review is far less glowing and highlights a bunch of flaws in almost every aspect of the One.  it may have more potential long term in the way of these features, but damn if they aren't just a little bit off at launch.  it's like waiting for the service pack on new releases of Windows.  

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »

If it was clear that the XBO was pushing the envelope, I would've preodered it on day one.  Unfortunately, it seems like a mash up of ideas that may or may not work at this point...that cost $100 more than the competition.  Purely anecdotal, but the people I know that are purchasing the XBO are doing so because their gaming friends/family are doing the same, they have strong brand loyalty to Xbox, or they were burned in the past by a Sony product, or some combination of those 3.  If the XBO ends up really being able to push the envelope, as you said, that would just be a bonus to them.  
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2067 on: November 20, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »

K, I'm not going to respond to the froth on Hetz's mouth, or the numerous digs that are clearly baiting.

I will answer this, and perhaps slowly - HDMI as default is a single segment negotiation. The XB1 should be the "last stop" on its way to the TV via HDMI - anyone passing HDMI to the TV hoping it will output past it back into their receiver are misled regardless.

The audio should have been run through a receiver on HDMI FIRST or split out from the optical out.

Doing it any other way is retard

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 20, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

Personally, I just want my console to play games. All this other extra media hub business is just pointless distraction, and if the functionality isn't spot on, then what's the point?

Aside from the price point, the main reason I went PS4 instead of XBO is that I felt more interested in Sony's emphasis on the games rather than all the other extra stuff. Sure it may be PS3 2.0 but that's fine with me.

I guess I'm old skool that way. tear
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 20, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 20, 2013, 07:02:07 PM

I will answer this, and perhaps slowly - HDMI as default is a single segment negotiation. The XB1 should be the "last stop" on its way to the TV via HDMI - anyone passing HDMI to the TV hoping it will output past it back into their receiver are misled regardless.

The audio should have been run through a receiver on HDMI FIRST or split out from the optical out.

Uh, absolutely not. I am not running ALL of my inputs through the XBone as that is an unnecessary use of power. It adds zero value to my PS3, AppleTV, or XBox360 so there is no reason I'd pass those through at all. It may even add negative value by virtue of sound or input delay.

Not to mention this loop is nonsensical and might not even work [All Sources] -> [Receiver] -> [XBox One] -> [Receiver] -> [TV]

The receiver has to be the last stop before the TV since it's the one processing the sound.

This is the way it needs to be: [DirecTV] -> [XBox One] -> [Receiver] -> [TV]
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2070 on: November 20, 2013, 07:11:51 PM »

One caveat - if you decide to put both devices on one you could push it through the same reciever channel. Likely the reason for the "BETA" function. I'd always recommend getting your sound to the receiver naturally and not through some other device first.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 20, 2013, 07:02:07 PM

K, I'm not going to respond to the froth on Hetz's mouth, or the numerous digs that are clearly baiting.

That defeats the whole purpose though, if you have to switch audio inputs on your receiver then the XB1 design is a mess.   For Snap and TV switching the cable box should be handing off all info to the XB1 directly, there should be no split channels etc.

Also it looks like the Optical port is only DTS out right now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 20, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 20, 2013, 06:14:04 PM

Still waiting for reviews of Xbox Fitness, that is my most anticipated feature and I'm curious to see how Kinect tracks pulse rate and movement. 

yeah, hoping those come soon.  anyone know if is is part of the embargo schedule?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2073 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:26 PM »

The last example you put is the right one. I never suggested everything get routed through the XB1 - unless they had more inputs and allowed you to swap between other services/systems (which it does not).

I'll admit I'm not surprised at the (current) limitation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »

it's doomed!

or...

it's not doomed!

or...

PUDDING!!!

paranoid

(last time I borrow an 'aspirin' from harpau.....)

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: November 20, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »

Man, Purge, my eyes are glazing over.

Here's my current setup:

Cable box out --> Receiver Cable in
WD Live out --> Receiver Aux in
Receiver out HDMI to the TV

These are currently the only two inputs I switch between. What's my optimum config for the Xbox One, in layman's terms.  icon_biggrin
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 20, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 20, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

The last example you put is the right one. I never suggested everything get routed through the XB1 - unless they had more inputs and allowed you to swap between other services/systems (which it does not).

I'll admit I'm not surprised at the (current) limitation.

Yeah the problem with that is that if you do it, it currently kills your 5.1 sound. It's an amazing oversight/limitation... its so bad that like YK, I have to assume it absolutely must be fixed ASAP. Until then though, it's DOA.

You can't run audio through the receiver first... You'd have Audio from Source A [DirecTV] and Video from Source B [XBox One]. Not sure how the receiver would make heads or tails of that.

It's a mistake, and a really big one for at least some portion of their customers.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »

Well, to be accurate, it kills >2.1 on your Xbone input port. Your games, netflix etc will still use full sound.  Your tv box though, which would need to be piped through, would go stereo, and then "upscaled" by your receiver.

If the Xbone IR blasted the input on the receiver then it would be fine (other than the input switch sound on your receiver) but it doesn't sound like it works like that. If they had a harmony-like logic to inputs it could easily bounce between inputs.

Problem is that the world is complex, and there are lots of different setups. Also, you'd have no sound overlay for things that are "snapped" (Skype, for instance) while watching / listening to the non-xbone audio source.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 20, 2013, 07:47:57 PM

If the Xbone IR blasted the input on the receiver then it would be fine (other than the input switch sound on your receiver) but it doesn't sound like it works like that. If they had a harmony-like logic to inputs it could easily bounce between inputs.

The problem with that solution is that you'd still want the video input of the xbox but an audio input of something else... unless there are newer receivers that could have HDMI input + Optical Input on the same source and switch between the two.

In any case, yeah it's a miss. They need to fix this.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2079 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

saywhat

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: