http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:09:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 42737 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 16, 2013, 01:14:47 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 16, 2013, 03:06:14 AM

I'm a little confused by that because its showing me my full name even though I told it not to.

That's why I asked also because it's showing my real name on my screen but in the privacy setting I have it set not to.  So I don't know if it just shows up that way just on my console?  My PSN name is Buckeye Shane, can anyone who is friends with me tell me if that is what is showing up on their screens?

Yeah, this caused a moment of panic for me, too.  They need to change this.

Now would be a good time to point out that there are lists of PSN and XBL user names stickied to the top of Massive Multiplayer Madness.  I'm BullwinkleJ on both platforms, BTW.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 16, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on November 16, 2013, 01:14:47 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 16, 2013, 03:06:14 AM

I'm a little confused by that because its showing me my full name even though I told it not to.

That's why I asked also because it's showing my real name on my screen but in the privacy setting I have it set not to.  So I don't know if it just shows up that way just on my console?  My PSN name is Buckeye Shane, can anyone who is friends with me tell me if that is what is showing up on their screens?

As noted, it shows you your name on your console but your PSN ID to your friends and in messages / feeds. Unless you've told it to show your name and you've both done and accepted the "True Name" request with someone.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 16, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »

BuckeyeShane, I can confirm that I don't see your real name on PSN.

Also, Roll Tide.   slywink
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 16, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »

Regarding the name settings, I found you can access the privacy settings from your profile on the main menu bar.  You click on your profile avatar and it's the middle option under your photo, iirc.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 16, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »

I just made a separate Facebook account for all the PS4 and future game stuff.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: November 16, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 16, 2013, 04:32:41 PM

I just made a separate Facebook account for all the PS4 and future game stuff.

That's not a bad idea.   You could use a dedicated facebook page for all this social integration stuff as well as message boards like GT and OO.   That way everyone on these forums can 'friend' your gaming facebook account and we could all keep track of what each other were doing while gaming.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #1846 on: November 16, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »

I think I'll do that as well. Just need to get some time to play today

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 17, 2013, 03:33:55 AM »

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

GET YO HANDS UP!   XBONE IN 6 DAYS
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: November 17, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: November 17, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »

Holy crap....PS4 has sold over 1 million consoles in just 24 hours.....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »

Here is a chart to show just how well the PS4 is doing...compared to other launches.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 17, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »

And not just shipped as Sony usually claims. smile
What kind of numbers were sold in the first 24 hours of the previous gen?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 17, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »

Ahh you were too fast for me. That is impressive. And that's 24 hours compared to 30 days for the other consoles.

Where are the numbers for PS2 and PS1 and N64?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 17, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 17, 2013, 12:32:35 PM

Ahh you were too fast for me. That is impressive. And that's 24 hours compared to 30 days for the other consoles.

Where are the numbers for PS2 and PS1 and N64?

Well, Sony claims that this is the best start in their history....so the PS4 is doing better than the PS2 or PS1.

I'm not sure about the n64.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 17, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »

That can't be right - consoles are supposed to be dying/dead due to the competition from phones/tablets! slywink

I do find it interesting, however, that this IS the first console launch I can ever remember that didn't talk about the death of PC gaming. We're hitting the point where hardware is easily outpacing developers' ability to fully utilize it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 17, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »

I think Steam has saved the PC. smile
I also think that people are more likely to buy consoles these days than in the 80s or 90s even with the effect of tablets.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »

So yesterday I had a horrible experience. I wanted to play the PS4 and watch the Ohio State Game at the same time. Since the PS4 doesn't have a snap button, I actually had to hit the input button on my TV to switch in between. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I didn't panic though because I remembered that just like all TVs made since 1996 my TV has picture in picture. So I turned that on, but then I soon realized that having a tiny screen in the corner blocking my view from the main action sucks. So then I remembered that I have a Vita and I could use use remote play and watch the game on my TV at the same time. Problem solved.

Damn that Sony for only focusing on the games.

For real though the Vita remote play is AWESOME. I played about 3 hours of it on my Vita yesterday and as long as your router has a strong signal it is flawless.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 17, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 17, 2013, 01:17:18 PM

So yesterday I had a horrible experience. I wanted to play the PS4 and watch the Ohio State Game at the same time. Since the PS4 doesn't have a snap button, I actually had to hit the input button on my TV to switch in between. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I didn't panic though because I remembered that just like all TVs made since 1996 my TV has picture in picture. So I turned that on, but then I soon realized that having a tiny screen in the corner blocking my view from the main action sucks. So then I remembered that I have a Vita and I could use use remote play and watch the game on my TV at the same time. Problem solved.

For real though the Vita remote play is AWESOME. I played about 3 hours of it on my Vita yesterday and as long as your router has a strong signal it is flawless.

Yep, Remote play has been incredible. It works way better than I thought it would. Being able to play my PS4 games while others are watching TV has been an incredible experience!  smile

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 17, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »

Looks like we finally have a console launch that wasn't supply constrained either. Plenty of pre orders and extra units in stores to sell.

The only slightly "Debbie Downer" comment I'd make is I want to see sales after the initial hardcore gamers rush and holiday sales. Do both systems keep good numbers after that. I hope they can.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:52:20 PM by Jumangi » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 17, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »

That is probably the one thing that will actually make me keep my pS4 in the end. If I had to play it on my TV I would probably never get any time on it. Can I turn on and turn of the PS4 with my Vita?
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 17, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 17, 2013, 02:48:57 PM

That is probably the one thing that will actually make me keep my pS4 in the end. If I had to play it on my TV I would probably never get any time on it. Can I turn on and turn of the PS4 with my Vita?

I think the Vita Remote Play will work if the PS4 is in standby mode.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 17, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 17, 2013, 02:53:42 PM

Well, let's see shall we?  Vita upstairs, PS4 downstairs in Standby... Remote Play... yup! First thing is does is turn it on.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 17, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 17, 2013, 01:39:46 PM

Quote from: Scraper on November 17, 2013, 01:17:18 PM

Yep, Remote play has been incredible. It works way better than I thought it would. Being able to play my PS4 games while others are watching TV has been an incredible experience!  smile

Has anyone tried it through the regular interwebs yet?  I mean through a different wifi connection or a really good 4G connection?  I would love to wow my coworkers even if I don't actually try to sit down and actually play a long session.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »

Yes.   I woke up the other day and turned it on through my bedside Vita.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 17, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 17, 2013, 02:57:36 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on November 17, 2013, 02:53:42 PM

Well, let's see shall we?  Vita upstairs, PS4 downstairs in Standby... Remote Play... yup! First thing is does is turn it on.  icon_cool

Wow, I swear I tried this on Friday and it didn't work. But I just tried it now and it does!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 17, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »

Cool, so all you had to do was spend an extra $200 on a Vita instead of an extra $100 on an Xbox? Awesome.

Seriously though, there are some other cool features for snap incoming. Developers can utilize snap for games as well, so in theory you could have a dungeon crawler that allows you to snap a map of the dungeon on the screen, for instance.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 17, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 17, 2013, 03:34:21 PM

Cool, so all you had to do was spend an extra $200 on a Vita instead of an extra $100 on an Xbox? Awesome.

Seriously though, there are some other cool features for snap incoming. Developers can utilize snap for games as well, so in theory you could have a dungeon crawler that allows you to snap a map of the dungeon on the screen, for instance.

darn your logic

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1867 on: November 17, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 17, 2013, 03:34:21 PM

Yes, because developers have never been able to do that before. slywink

Just yanking your chain. It opens up the possibility of players integrating stuff with games that the developers hadn't expected, I suppose.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1868 on: November 17, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Heh, Snap.

MS and their rebrandings of common tech. At least the tech exists this time, compared to the made up tech names of past consoles in history.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 17, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 17, 2013, 02:48:35 PM

Looks like we finally have a console launch that wasn't supply constrained either. Plenty of pre orders and extra units in stores to sell.

I think this is a huge factor in these numbers, BTW.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1870 on: November 17, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »

Sadly, I haven't heard anything about increased supply in Europe, so I'm still going to have to assume that there will be extreme shortages here. As mentioned before, anyone who preordered after June are extremely unlikely to get a PS4 at launch here.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 17, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

I'm assuming the deluge of Xbone stuff will begin in earnest tomorrow?
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 17, 2013, 05:44:26 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 17, 2013, 05:28:32 PM

Yes, but MS is doing staggered embargoes from what I've read.  Each day will be deluge of new stuff.. Interestingly enough Ryse is embargoed till Thursday which doesn't inspire good feelings for me

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1873 on: November 17, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 17, 2013, 05:28:32 PM

Sort of. There won't be a deluge since Microsoft has spread the NDA liftings across the entire week, but the first few reviews will pop up tomorrow. The only specifics I've heard is that Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon end their NDAs tomorrow, the console itself on Tuesday, and Ryse on Thursday.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

Setting up my ps4 was easy.  The only issue I ran into was the PSN servers getting hammered.  I exited out of that part of the process and tried again a few minutes later.  All good.  I signed up for PSN plus earlier this month, and was happy to see that I had 2 free indie titles ready for download, and I was able to download Flower (ps4) for free.  

So far I really like the streamlined UI.  It's not a bunch of adds or crap all over the screen.  Standby mode is great, and allows for very quick starts.  The first thing I see when I start are all my games...perfect.

The controller is a huge improvement over the DS3.  I love the 360 controller, and the DS4 is on par with that classic.

I'm embarrassed to say that Killzone was kicking my butt for awhile (the first forest zone), but then I realized I was taking the wrong approach trying to play guns blazing. Graphics are really good.  The lighting is exceptional, especially in the level after the forest.    

AC4 has been fun.  Great setting.  Combat has been good so far.  

Resogun is awesome.  It's like a modern, cylindrical version of the Williams arcade classic Defender.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:18:23 PM by Roguetad » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: November 17, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »

alright, time to play musical chairs with my entertainment center.  looks like the Wii and Wii U are going to the top shelf, where they will fit just underneath the TV screen edges.  the X41 stand will go to the bottom shelf, next to the 360 and blu ray player, and the XB1 will fit nicely next to my DVR.  PS2, sorry, there is no chair for you.  you finally get put into storage little one, alongside Kinect 1.0.  You served me adequately.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: November 17, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »

Impressions after 48 hours of play:

The UI is an improvement over the cross bar from the PS3.  My only complaint is that it has zero customization options.   When I mean zero, I mean you can't even change the wallpaper.   No themes.  The "What's New" section was pretty cool and gave you the ability to check friends' trophies, posted videos, etc.  That feature is currently not working on my machine (I'm assuming they shut it down to alleviate launch server problems).

The Dual Shock 4 is a big improvement over the DS3.  It feels better in your hands, the share button works well, and I like the slightly 'hooked' L and R triggers. There is a lot of buzz on the internet saying this is better than the Xbox (and thus Xbone) controller, but I'm not buying it.  I've held the DS4 now for hours and hours, and I still like the 360 controller better. Improvement over DS3 though, definitely!

I *love* the quick popping in and out of games with the PS button. Very nice.

I like the Usteam and Twitch stuff under "Live from Playstation".  I enjoy watching a game and chatting with others who are watching.

I'm very much looking forward to the ability to customize the Xbone interface, the voice and Kinect controls of the interface, and the supposedly more integrated 'news feed' of my friends' activities on the device.   I can't put my finger on it, but the Xbox community is much more oriented around multiplayer and interaction than the PS community.  It always has been that way, and it doesn't seem to have changed a bit. Everyone on PSN seems to keep to themselves and do their own thing.  My friends, and others, on Live are always getting into parties, sending messages, playing multiplayer, and interacting a lot more.

Oh, and I almost forgot:   The Vita remote play rocks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:59:43 PM by msduncan » Logged
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: November 17, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 17, 2013, 07:56:32 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot:   The Vita remote play rocks.

Damn straight.  I've been playing Lego Marvel for the last two hours via remote play, while watching the Packer game...no SNAP required! slywink

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: November 17, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »

Is Flower supposed to be free for PS+ members or just those who bought it previously?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 17, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »

at least consoles are finally catching up.  I've been watching TV while playing games on my PC for years now, no console required! Tongue

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: