http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:07:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 40365 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: November 15, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »

Not to do more crapping, because I still don't think that the size of the black box matters that much, but does the XB1 have a power brick? Because the PS4 doesn't.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 15, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »

PSN servers are definitely already having issues.   My PS3 update failed halfway through the download.   That's the 6th time it's failed.

People tonight that didn't download the patch are going to be hurting unless they can get those servers stable.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 15, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 02:41:21 PM

PSN servers are definitely already having issues.   My PS3 update failed halfway through the download.   That's the 6th time it's failed.

People tonight that didn't download the patch are going to be hurting unless they can get those servers stable.

Yeah, the PSN servers are having issues. I had no problems downloading the firmware this morning around 6AM Central....but the store downloads are timing out. At least it is able to resume a download with no issues at all. I've got Battlefield 4 about half way downloaded now and COD about the same. Resogun and Contrast are downloaded and installed. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »

Twittling my thumbs waiting for UPS to show up. God I hope they get here before 12. I might asplode.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 15, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2013, 02:44:56 PM

Yeah, the PSN servers are having issues. I had no problems downloading the firmware this morning around 6AM Central....but the store downloads are timing out. At least it is able to resume a download with no issues at all. I've got Battlefield 4 about half way downloaded now and COD about the same. Resogun and Contrast are downloaded and installed. smile

My problem is that the updates won't pick up where they left off.  It starts over and thus fails.

I'm glad I grabbed the update a couple days ago.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 15, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »

If they are gonna charge for things like MP now the one thing I won't give them the least bit of slack anymore is performance and reliability with PSN. The network damn well better work and it better be up 99.99 percent of the time Sony.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 15, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 15, 2013, 02:48:08 PM

If they are gonna charge for things like MP now the one thing I won't give them the least bit of slack anymore is performance and reliability with PSN. The network damn well better work and it better be up 99.99 percent of the time Sony.

thumbsup

Same here. I was pissed when Live went down and I will be pissed if PSN goes down. I will give them some slack for the first day or two...but after that, it better be smooth sailing!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 15, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 02:46:27 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2013, 02:44:56 PM

My problem is that the updates won't pick up where they left off.  It starts over and thus fails.

I'm glad I grabbed the update a couple days ago.

Yeah, I don't think you can resume the firmware update. I had the update ready to go on a USB stick just in case, but shockingly enough....it downloaded and updated on the first go. It was pretty fast as well.

I was talking about just normal PSN Store downloads for the resume download feature.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1768 on: November 15, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »

On the plus side, everyone is getting a month free of PS+
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: November 15, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 15, 2013, 02:40:50 PM

Not to do more crapping, because I still don't think that the size of the black box matters that much, but does the XB1 have a power brick? Because the PS4 doesn't.

PS4 does not have a brick, Xbox one does.

I find the size of components really does matter for me. I have a first gen PS3 as a blu-ray player and it is huge and takes up way too much space. I want to consolidate everything to a couple of shelves, but I am not there yet.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 15, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

A special message from Xbox to Sony found on my facebook feed.  I thought it was classy.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 15, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »

I am willing to have a larger sized box that provides a full featured entertainment system that integrates into my living room.

Let's call these two systems for what they are:

PS4:  Turbo charged PS3 (in terms of not expanding really on the feature set) that is capable of next gen gaming, but is focused only on gaming.   Developer friendly architecture.
Xbone:  Next gen gaming device that also provides living room/entertainment center integration and multitasking

PS4's target audience was hardcore gamers that don't care about the integration and just want to game
Xbone's target audience is broader and less specific, and seeks to draw in people who would be interested in exercise, entertainment system integration features, family gaming, etc

There is room for both.   In fact I'm thankful we will have both.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 15, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

Size of the Xbox doesn't bother me. It will be replacing the spot currently occupied by my Blu-Ray player which is much wider. Personally I'd rather have the external power brick for heat, easier to replace, etc.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 15, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

Ive always found it interested that in these days, where heat is more and more prevalent in hightech machines, not limited to consoles and computers, why we still insist on the boxes to hold the electronics? I mean, why not make a clever tube where the components where more seperate from each other? Or hell, make 5 smaller units to be put behind the stereo system to avoid heat?

I know the above are somewhat silly, but its just extremely limiting to keep thinking that  we have to have all our electronics in one box - plenty of other options, especially if it could help what seems to be one of the larger issues.

A new one
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 15, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 03:04:45 PM

I am willing to have a larger sized box that provides a full featured entertainment system that integrates into my living room.

PS4:  Turbo charged PS3 (in terms of not expanding really on the feature set) that is capable of next gen gaming, but is focused only on gaming.   Developer friendly architecture.
Xbone:  Next gen gaming device that also provides living room/entertainment center integration and multitasking

The only multimedia ability that the One has over PS4 is the HDMI pass through. The rest is just app support for streaming. Also the PS4 can do multitasking too like any modern operating system.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 15, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »

PS4's target audience was hardcore gamers that don't care about the integration and just want to game
Xbone's target audience is broader and less specific, and seeks to draw in people who would be interested in exercise, entertainment system integration features, family gaming, etc

I take exception to that. I will use my PS4 as my primary Netflix and Crunchyroll player, as well as my primary Blu-ray and DVD player. AND on top of that you don't have to pay for PS+/GOLD in order to actually use netflix. So how is the PS4 not an entertainment device as well as a gaming device?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 15, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »

Using remote play now to explore menus and download stuff while my wife is watching TV....  smile

This is AWESOME!

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 15, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 15, 2013, 03:20:17 PM

I take exception to that. I will use my PS4 as my primary Netflix and Crunchyroll player, as well as my primary Blu-ray and DVD player. AND on top of that you don't have to pay for PS+/GOLD in order to actually use netflix. So how is the PS4 not an entertainment device as well as a gaming device?

Exactly.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1778 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 15, 2013, 03:20:17 PM

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. I've seen several people (and journalists) claim that the Xbox One is the definitive multimedia center while the PS4 doesn't even try, but I don't really see why anyone would say that. The PS4 appears very strong in this regard, even if a few features will have to wait for the next firmware update.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 15, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »

I haven't seen any snap to features on the PS4 allowing me to play a game while checking the football score or watch The Walking Dead. I also haven't seen where I can see what my friends are watching on TV (trending), issue voice commands to change programs, etc.

It's ok that the PS4 focuses on being a gaming machine.  I appreciate it for that.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on November 15, 2013, 07:04:58 AM

Quote from: sgoldj on November 15, 2013, 06:47:13 AM

PS4 is secured.  The better part of my Xmas shopping is DONE.
how secure is it?
Post your address and someone here can check on it..
 ninja

You can find me right there! =========================================>

icon_lol
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 15, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

XB1 media features appeal really depends on how much you watch live TV.  
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 15, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

I haven't seen any snap to features on the PS4 allowing me to play a game while checking the football score or watch The Walking Dead. I also haven't seen where I can see what my friends are watching on TV (trending), issue voice commands to change programs, etc.

I think that is one of those features that sounds cool, but people will never use. In practice you wouldn't want to not be able to see part of the screen while gaming, and it's easier to just check your phone/tablet for things like scores. And what my friends are watching, that one baffles me, I just can't see why anyone would care, but that is probably just me.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 15, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 15, 2013, 03:44:42 PM

Lots when it comes to sports.    Actually mainly when it comes to sports.

In fact, I can't stand watching DVR sports unless I'm going back to re-watch it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 15, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 15, 2013, 03:48:35 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

I think that is one of those features that sounds cool, but people will never use. In practice you wouldn't want to not be able to see part of the screen while gaming, and it's easier to just check your phone/tablet for things like scores. And what my friends are watching, that one baffles me, I just can't see why anyone would care, but that is probably just me.

I *routinely* have to switch inputs on Saturdays and Sundays to check on football games.    I'm playing and then have to switch over to see what's going on.   Tomorrow I'll be switching back and forth checking the barn (auburn) game.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: November 15, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

Yeah, that is pretty much the only thing that the XB1 has over the PS4. As far as the snap thing...that is just going to annoy the crap out of me. I don't want crap on my screen that is not related to what I am playing. If I want to look up something while playing I can just use my iPad or click the PS button and go to the web browser on the PS 4....the click the PS button again and I am right back in my game.

I don't know, Snap....to me.....is a waste of 10% of the GPU power. I want Dead Rising 3 to run at 30fps without Snap....not 20 something with Snap.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 15, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 15, 2013, 03:50:34 PM

I *routinely* have to switch inputs on Saturdays and Sundays to check on football games.    I'm playing and then have to switch over to see what's going on.   Tomorrow I'll be switching back and forth checking the barn (auburn) game.

Why don't you just check the score on the phone if you don't care enough about it to watch the whole game? If you just want to know the score wouldn't it be easier? I have a smart TV that will display scores while I watch TV, found it pointless, I can set my phone's app to tell me whenever anyone has scored in any game I am concerned with without losing any of my picture.

To each his own, just don't think that is as neat as it sounds, but I am a heavy iPad users which is my second screen in most cases.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »

I love the justification that the XB1 is not much of an improvement in terms of multimedia over the PS4 because YOU won't use the features. There are a lot of people who WILL use the features, and that's who MS is targeting. The XB1 was built from the ground up to incorporate the all-in-one multimedia box mindset, and there's no doubt that as time goes on they will leverage the snap, HDMI in, etc. in interesting ways we probably haven't thought about yet.

If we went by the notion that new features shouldn't be included because we could use what we already have, there would never be any innovation. We'd never know what works and what doesn't.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »

One question that comes to mind, and this isn't an attempt to be snarky, is: Why does the PS4 become a completely gaming-focused system when it doesn't have those particular features, when the Xbox 360 is considered a multimedia center and doesn't have them either? (maybe with the exception of viewership tracking? I dunno)

To me, "multimedia center" means a machine that seamlessly plays my multimedia content. While the PS4 currently doesn't support DLNA or MP3s (but will in an upcoming firmware patch that I suspect will arrive sooner rather than later), the addition of those two things will make it cover every base in my multimedia setup, from Netflix to Blu-rays to games to online streaming, all of them for free. Snap is a feature that is nifty to the right audience, but which neither qualifies nor disqualifies competing platforms from being multimedia focused.

My opinion, and it's alright to disagree with me on this, is that the people who claim that the PS4 isn't a multimedia center are placing the goalposts in the entirely wrong place. The Xbox One has a couple of extra features, true, but both consoles handle multimedia content competently and in a satisfying way.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 15, 2013, 04:18:07 PM »

Sort of like people who claim the XB1 is a completely multimedia-focused console even though it's perfectly competent at playing games?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1790 on: November 15, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 15, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

Sort of like people who claim the XB1 is a completely multimedia-focused console even though it's perfectly competent at playing games?

Yeah, but nobody's claiming that the Xbox One doesn't even try to play games.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 15, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »

I haven't seen anyone claim the PS4 doesn't try to do multimedia.

If you go look at articles comparing multimedia capabilities, though, the two big reasons journalists give the edge to XB1 are the HDMI in and the voice recognition of the Kinect.

At the end of the day, you're not going to get on your PS4, pull up your cable guide, and browse to see what's on by using your voice.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 15, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

Hasn't the PS3 of all things been the number one device used to stream Netflix for a while?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1793 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 15, 2013, 03:52:31 PM

Yeah, that is pretty much the only thing that the XB1 has over the PS4. As far as the snap thing...that is just going to annoy the crap out of me. I don't want crap on my screen that is not related to what I am playing. If I want to look up something while playing I can just use my iPad or click the PS button and go to the web browser on the PS 4....the click the PS button again and I am right back in my game.

I don't know, Snap....to me.....is a waste of 10% of the GPU power. I want Dead Rising 3 to run at 30fps without Snap....not 20 something with Snap.

The product has been shown to be more than live TV. Media apps, for instance, can be put in the one guide. I think that is a feature that will make a bigger difference than just having the live TV integration synced with the cable guide.

You *do* know that, right... that things like Hulu Plus, Youtube, Netflix apps (and any other apps on an open marketplace that meet whatever it takes to be a media app) can have `channels`added to the OneGuide?

FWIW when I`m waiting for Mikagami to get home from work to play some 720p CoD:G, I can fire up the party, chat with hark while doing other things (such as browsing the web using smartglass instead of a kybd-mouse combo) on the same machine, or perhaps just using DLNA to stream something. It is all there, and it`s not a pain to switch.

Perhaps in March, after tax season is done I can then afford a second console and I`ll be playing Second Son while waiting for Mike to show up to play Titanfall. Win-frickin-win.

There was no knock against the PS4 - but arguing someones opinion is either going to fail because you can`t convince him otherwise, or it will fail because he won`t admit he was wrong. Whichever way you swing that, it ends in fail.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1794 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 15, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

I have seen that claim in a few of the PS4 reviews, actually. That's why I'm so puzzled by the whole thing.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1795 on: November 15, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2013, 04:15:54 PM

My opinion, and it's alright to disagree with me on this, is that the people who claim that the PS4 isn't a multimedia center are placing the goalposts in the entirely wrong place. The Xbox One has a couple of extra features, true, but both consoles handle multimedia content competently and in a satisfying way.

FWIW - seeing the interface and how it works, I agree that the PS4 is also a multimedia machine. It doesn`t look to be as seamless as the Xbone, but that`s where the differences can be enjoyed rather than lamented.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

Also the Xbone comes with this feature that the PS4 definitely doesn't have:

Harkonis head shotting your ass.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 15, 2013, 04:25:52 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on November 15, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

I have seen that claim in a few of the PS4 reviews, actually. That's why I'm so puzzled by the whole thing.

I heard it doesn't do laundry.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »

Why would you not just check the scores on your phone while your game is paused?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 15, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 15, 2013, 04:23:49 PM

Hasn't the PS3 of all things been the number one device used to stream Netflix for a while?

I've been using the 360 with Kinect.  so much easier to talk to it than touch those dirty, dirty buttons.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: