http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:32:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 45598 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1400 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:24 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 11, 2013, 10:22:54 PM

Sony is giving away a free month (for new users) and of course that will include a free PS+ game (Resogun)

Two free PS+ games. Contrast is another. I don't expect PS+ to ever provide less than 2 titles per month on the PS4, though there could be exceptions at the very beginning when the game selection is smaller.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »

Dead Rising 3 has been put through the Digital Foundry grinder.....and it's not pretty....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-dead-rising-3

Our captures show the game upscaled to 1080p by the Xbox One - with results that are expectedly unkind to thin objects and flickering alpha elements like trees or fence-work. It's a bit of a disappointment in this sense, and continues to dangle a question mark over the capabilities of the console's hotly contested specs when it comes to titles striving for full HD

With all its rough edges, Dead Rising 3's intended impact as a next-gen title is clearly dulled, but there's enough here to show early Xbox One adopters a side of the zombie-slaying experience that couldn't be achieved on current-gen hardware. The zombie count and overall world size are impressive - amplified to a previously unheard volume where interplay with vehicles ties in appropriately with this shift in scale. However, the fact remains that the game's original brief as an Xbox 360 title is still very much felt in other areas; the pared-back alpha, texture streaming issues and jagged 720p presentation giving the impression that the series' potential is still somehow being bounded.

It's also unfortunate that the game runs at far from the promised locked 30fps - rather a chugging 20fps during the zombie action while out in the big city. Compared to the shaky E3 build seen just months ago this is still a respectable step forward, and of course many of the game's technical shortcomings come with the unique circumstances of meeting a hardware launch. All this amounts to an intriguing first attempt, then, but needless to say we're eager to see how Capcom Vancouver follows up on its sandbox survival-horror formula when it's given more breathing room with the deadline, more experience with the hardware, and factoring in the next-gen platform's strengths from the very start.

Well, that sucks. Hoping for a PC version at some point down the road now....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »

Having all those zombies on screen is impressive, but only if it retains the framerate.  Hopefully that's only a rare occurrence. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1403 on: November 12, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

You know, I wonder if this gen we'll see a lot of performance patches.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1404 on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 12, 2013, 01:57:05 PM

You know, I wonder if this gen we'll see a lot of performance patches.

I doubt it. That wouldn't really be cost effective, so most publishers would probably not allow it.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 12, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

When all is said and done, DR3 720p on Xbox is greater than DR3 0p on PS4.  icon_biggrin
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1406 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 12, 2013, 02:10:35 PM

When all is said and done, DR3 720p on Xbox is greater than DR3 0p on PS4.  icon_biggrin

Okay, now you're really reaching. Tongue
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »

From the video DF posted, when outside it seems to hover at 20fps a lot.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 12, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »

I'm sure the game will be plenty fun but, 20fps? Ouch. Is this next gen?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 12, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 12, 2013, 02:24:08 PM

I'm sure the game will be plenty fun but, 20fps? Ouch. Is this next gen?

It is on the Xbox One!   Tongue

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: November 12, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

There are a couple of visual issues that mar the otherwise great graphics. Key amongst these is the erratic frame rate. It was fast and mostly smooth on the 360, but the game's extremely choppy on the PlayStation 3. This problem isn't limited to hectic battle sequences either--it'll chug in rooms that are completely empty.

- Call of Duty 3 PS3 review, November 2006.

This is last gen all over again, just flipped. When this review came out, the $599 PS3 was being outperformed by the $399 Xbox 360.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:38:24 PM by YellowKing » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1411 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 12, 2013, 02:33:54 PM

There are a couple of visual issues that mar the otherwise great graphics. Key amongst these is the erratic frame rate. It was fast and mostly smooth on the 360, but the game's extremely choppy on the PlayStation 3. This problem isn't limited to hectic battle sequences either--it'll chug in rooms that are completely empty.

Hey, nobody is trying to argue what works for you and what doesn't. If you're fine with 720p 20 fps, all the better for you! That kind of post I just quoted does come off as quite desperate though.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: November 12, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »

There's no desperation, I just think it's funny that people seem to have forgotten the lessons of the past. IE - all the tech comparisons of launch titles in the world don't mean anything in the long run.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1413 on: November 12, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 12, 2013, 02:40:59 PM

There's no desperation, I just think it's funny that people seem to have forgotten the lessons of the past. IE - all the tech comparisons of launch titles in the world don't mean anything in the long run.

Maybe, but that's not what they were discussing. They were talking about Dead Rising 3. That Call of Duty 3's frame rate sucked doesn't change anything about DR3, which is what made your post come off as desperate.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: November 12, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »

True desperation is clinging to the news that an exclusive you can't play doesn't perform perfectly so you can feel better about not playing it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1415 on: November 12, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 12, 2013, 02:44:46 PM

True desperation is clinging to the news that an exclusive you can't play doesn't perform perfectly so you can feel better about not playing it.

Alright, I'm not going to argue over this with you. I don't care as I'm not going to play DR3, and I didn't post the news from Digital Foundry in the first place.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: November 12, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

For someone like me who is very likely going to own all the consoles at some point, the short run makes a big difference.  I have no doubt that the Xbone is going to have a lot of great gaming this generation, but if its first year or two is going to lag behind the PS4, why wouldn't I get a PS4 first?*

*Titanfall, that's why.  disgust  
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »

My head is about to explode with the deluge of information now starting to flood out of the gates.    NDA lifted is right.   Sheesh.   I needed to take a few days off just to pour over information!  Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1418 on: November 12, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 12, 2013, 02:50:56 PM

My head is about to explode with the deluge of information now starting to flood out of the gates.    NDA lifted is right.   Sheesh.   I needed to take a few days off just to pour over information!  Tongue

If you think it's bad today, just wait until tomorrow! slywink
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 12, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »

Alright, I'm not going to argue over this with you. I don't care as I'm not going to play DR3, and I didn't post the news from Digital Foundry in the first place.

Great! I never asked for an argument in the first place. Hence the smiley on my "desperate" post.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 12, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

Where are all the xbone reviews? I'm dying to see what MS was so desperate to hide in the COD and BF reviews. smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

Err...didn't the Xbox become the COD box and sell far more in the US than the PS3? smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: November 12, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 12, 2013, 02:38:20 PM

Hey, nobody is trying to argue what works for you and what doesn't. If you're fine with 720p 20 fps, all the better for you! That kind of post I just quoted does come off as quite desperate though.

No his point is that the PS3 had the same issues at launch..   God you guys are bias...   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1423 on: November 12, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 12, 2013, 03:05:46 PM

No his point is that the PS3 had the same issues at launch..   God you guys are bias...   

And my point was that this has nothing to do with DR3, which the discussion was about.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: November 12, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

It doesn't matter whether it was the specific title. My point is that in 2006, the higher priced console was having launch title issues compared to the cheaper console. Over time, developers learned to code for the higher priced console and it achieved parity. So you can draw judgments about the Xbox's long term capability based on these launch titles if you wish, but you're ignoring (very recent) historic examples on why you shouldn't.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: November 12, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »

NBA2k just got a review on IGN.   8.9 and says it's a graphical showcase for you next gen console.   The reviews are combined for PS4 and Xbone.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: November 12, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »

A combined review for two competing non-similiar systems is a bit weird, isnt it?

A new one
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: November 12, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 12, 2013, 03:14:06 PM

It doesn't matter whether it was the specific title. My point is that in 2006, the higher priced console was having launch title issues compared to the cheaper console. Over time, developers learned to code for the higher priced console and it achieved parity. So you can draw judgments about the Xbox's long term capability based on these launch titles if you wish, but you're ignoring (very recent) historic examples on why you shouldn't.

And in the case of 2006, the higher priced console became my favorite of the generation.   The PS3 had much more quality all around (exclusives, interface, Blu Ray, etc) in my opinion.    The Xbox had strengths too (multiplayer).  

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 12, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 12, 2013, 03:21:42 PM

A combined review for two competing non-similiar systems is a bit weird, isnt it?

Not if the excellent developers for 2K were able to actually code decently for both machines.   There appears to be no difference in the two.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »

So, I take it you are happy with a game that does only 720p and actually goes as low as 16FPS at times? Are we really setting the bar that low for next gen with the Xbox One? This is an exclusive game and doesn't have to worry about development compatability for other systems. This was the best they could do. It's really a huge disappointment. I want it to be good. I will get an Xbox one at some point and I want the games to be good. I am not happy with 720p and sub-20 frame rates....not to mention the texture problems and aliasing issues.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 12, 2013, 03:27:55 PM

So, I take it you are happy with a game that does only 720p and actually goes as low as 16FPS at times? Are we really setting the bar that low for next gen with the Xbox One? This is an exclusive game and doesn't have to worry about development compatability for other systems. This was the best they could do. It's really a huge disappointment. I want it to be good. I will get an Xbox one at some point and I want the games to be good. I am not happy with 720p and sub-20 frame rates....not to mention the texture problems and aliasing issues.

I didn't say I was happy.  My point is that these issues will be worked out in the long run.  I just don't understand the need to constantly take a dump on the system you don't prefer.   It's same crap we say last gen and both systems did extremely well.

Can anyone remember when most people thought the PS3 was going to die?  Sony corrected and had a very excellent system

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 12, 2013, 03:32:07 PM

Quote from: Hetz on November 12, 2013, 03:27:55 PM

I didn't say I was happy.  My point is that these issues will be worked out in the long run.  I just don't understand the need to constantly take a dump on the system you don't prefer.   It's same crap we say last gen and both systems did extremely well.

Can anyone remember when most people thought the PS3 was going to die?  Sony corrected and had a very excellent system

Pepperidge Farms remembers
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1432 on: November 12, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

biggrin @ Leo. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: November 12, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 12, 2013, 03:23:17 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 12, 2013, 03:21:42 PM

Not if the excellent developers for 2K were able to actually code decently for both machines.   There appears to be no difference in the two.

Thats true of course! I just haven't seen a single game where they compare exactly in the current (Last gen?) generation of consoles where this is the case.

I have both an Xbox and a PS3, and I always read reviews before getting a new console game, because there's just been a huge difference every time between the two versions.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: November 12, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

I understand that some folks don't like to hear anyone speak ill of something they're excited about, but I can't be the only one who is interested in hearing any and all news & impressions about both consoles, good or bad.

Is there any chance we can have...
  • A) Xbone happy fun time thread, wherein one shall not speak ill of the Xbone
  • B) PS4 happy fun time thread, wherein one shall not speak ill of the PS4
  • C) Wild West Next Gen Thread, wherein anyone can say anything they want about either console, and post whatever articles or article excerpts they want.  Not allowed: discussing fanboyism, bias, or whether or not people are being too positive or negative.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2013, 03:46:30 PM

I understand that some folks don't like to hear anyone speak ill of something they're excited about, but I can't be the only one who is interested in hearing any and all news & impressions about both consoles, good or bad.

• C) Wild West Next Gen Thread, wherein anyone can say anything they want about either console, and post whatever articles or article excerpts they want.  Not allowed: discussing fanboyism, bias, or whether or not people are being too positive or negative.

A.   We have one of those that has been repeatedly shat upon
B.  We have one of those
C.  You are in it (minus the requirements that there be no war)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: November 12, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

The 'not allowed' part is what's missing from this thread.  If I were in charge of the universe, I'd make it so people get banned from the thread the moment they start talking about a forumer instead of about the consoles, console news, or console impressions.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: November 12, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »

We sort of do.  The XB1 and PS4 threads are mostly happy fun time, this is the wild west thread.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: November 12, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »

I'm not planning on getting an XBONE, but I'm a gamer and want to hear about all systems as well.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1439 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

We have a PS4 excitement thread. We have an Xbox One excitement thread. This is the "which system are you getting" thread, where comparisons, measurements and critical articles are more than suitable. Yet a few people have managed to turn the tone of the thread in such a direction that any critical piece of news about the Xbox One is considered an attack, or gleeful shit-smearing, or any number of other negative descriptors. Yet if Hetz hadn't posted the Digital Foundry article today, would YellowKing have done so? Msduncan? Purge? I strongly suspect they wouldn't have. We can't have an environment where discussion about the pros and cons of expensive consumer electronics is forbidden because some people are so attached to theirs that they get hurt whenever a critical article or piece of news pops up. That's censorship.

It's gotten to the point where I've deliberately not posted several interesting pieces of news today because I know that I would have been attacked or been accused of having an agenda for doing so. Is that what we want? People not posting about relevant news in a relevant thread because they're afraid of stepping on toes (even when they aren't stepping on toes) doesn't serve anyone. It doesn't serve PS4 buyers. It doesn't serve Xbox One buyers. Most of all, it doesn't serve those who are on the fence. It's the very definition of an unhealthy discussion.

I'm not posting in the Xbox One thread because that's where people should be able to go to be excited about it together, and I'm not buying an Xbox One until Kinect isn't part of the package. That disqualifies me from participating in that thread in an honest, constructive way in the same way we don't want people who don't like and won't buy a particular game to pollute a thread about that very game. Yet this isn't that thread. This is a thread about three different consoles (yes, even the Wii U), a thread that is about airing our thoughts about which consoles we want and why. What if someone made a thread about "Diablo vs Torchlight" and nobody was allowed to say anything bad about Torchlight because its fans felt persecuted for being the smallest game commercially. Would that be a good thing for any of the participants in that thread?

So let's all be adults and discuss things without feeling the need to censor opinions we don't agree with. Personal attacks are off the table, and off the table they will stay. Critical talk about the consoles though? That's what this thread is about, and anyone who expected otherwise has stumbled upon the wrong thread. Opinions are fair game here. We should be allowed to post them and we should expect them to be challenged in a constructive way. When that stops happening or people start complaining about it (or worse, turn towards flame wars), the thread and its participants have failed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:26:33 PM by TiLT » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: