http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 38288 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 06, 2013, 12:52:51 AM »

Just from the suggestion in this thread that MS will provide the unity engine for free to developers but only if they make the game exclusively for MS. I have no idea whether it's true or not. Obviously if it's not then my comment doesn't apply.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:29 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2013, 12:52:51 AM

Just from the suggestion in this thread that MS will provide the unity engine for free to developers but only if they make the game exclusively for MS. I have no idea whether it's true or not. Obviously if it's not then my comment doesn't apply.

It's on par with that idiotic "Free the Games" crap Ouya was trying to use to get exclusives. Makes no sense.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 06, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »

Can you make Kinect games on Unity? If so, an indie dev with a great Kinect idea would only benefit from this.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:03 AM »

I can't wait for this game.   First 25 minutes of Dead Rising 3
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 06, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »

That's the first thing I've yet seen that makes me kinda want an Xbox One. They should have been showing us this instead of Ryse.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 06, 2013, 03:43:53 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 06, 2013, 01:23:03 AM

Looks real good!
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:17 AM »

Hope it is good but I don't want to be spoiled by game play so didn't watch the footage, DR3 is one of my day one titles for Xbox along with Forza.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 06, 2013, 04:32:07 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 06, 2013, 03:44:17 AM

Hope it is good but I don't want to be spoiled by game play so didn't watch the footage, DR3 is one of my day one titles for Xbox along with Forza.

Start the video, jump to about middle ways through it just for a few seconds....   you should get an idea of the graphics without spoiling the story.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 06, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »

Yeah, Dead Rising 3 looks pretty awesome. When I eventually get an Xb1...hopefully it will be bundled with it.   icon_biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 06, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 06, 2013, 04:32:07 AM

Start the video, jump to about middle ways through it just for a few seconds....   you should get an idea of the graphics without spoiling the story.

that's what I did.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: November 06, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2013, 04:52:01 AM

that's what I did.

Same here, and it looks great!  I'm feeling pretty good about my preorder for this one now.

(but I really can't help but think about what a next gen State of Decay will look like...  drool)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 06, 2013, 05:25:21 AM »

that's what I did.

fwiw, there isn't much story, just the usual set up of a tutorial sequence telling you to eat to replenish health, how to do light and heavy attacks and that's about it. skip past minute 15 to about 17:20. 

this game is really making me want to get an xb1 based off the video.  come on capcom, show the other side some love. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 06, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »

I haven't found any confirmation yet that this is true, just that the developer had to be in the ID@Xbox program. The reaction from developers seems to be very positive.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:29 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 06, 2013, 01:10:29 AM

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2013, 12:52:51 AM

It's on par with that idiotic "Free the Games" crap Ouya was trying to use to get exclusives. Makes no sense.

So, uhm, what company is giving away tools to compete on other platforms? I don't get where "idiotic" comes into this.

There is no requirement to even use Unity. Simply that it's there, and supported, and has plugins free for each market.

If someone has a license, it sounds like the plugins will be free for them as well - but only if they're developing for xbone will they get a free unity pro license.

seems pretty straightforward to me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »

Quote from: Caine on November 06, 2013, 05:25:21 AM

that's what I did.

fwiw, there isn't much story, just the usual set up of a tutorial sequence telling you to eat to replenish health, how to do light and heavy attacks and that's about it. skip past minute 15 to about 17:20. 

this game is really making me want to get an xb1 based off the video.  come on capcom, show the other side some love. 

I hear there will be a Wii U version slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 06, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 05, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

Mark Rubin is not allowed to talk about which console is more powerful
http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-mark-rubin-interview-there-are-things-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

GC: So the obvious assumption from all this is that the PlayStation 4 is definitely more powerful than the Xbox One, is that true?

MR: [acting very embarrassed] I canít answer that.

GC: You canít answer it on a technical level or because youíre being diplomatic?

MR: Canít answer that.

GC: You canít say whether youíre avoiding the question for diplomatic reasons?

MR: [embarrassed] I just canít say anythingÖ

[Even the attending PR guy is looking embarrassed by this point]

PR guy: Itís very hard for us to beÖ

GC: Are the console manufacturers leaning on you to avoid these sort of questions?

MR: [unsure - speaking to PR guy] I donít know if thatÖ

MR: [even more embarrassed to us] Yeah, thereís things that weÖ We sign NDAs with the first parties [i.e. Microsoft and Sony - GC] and there are things that weíre not allowed to talk about.

GC: So when John Carmack and Shinji Mikami say the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are almost identical, is that something you could agree with?

MR: HmmÖ I would say thatís a bit inaccurate but I wouldnít be able to tell you any detail of why thatís inaccurate.

GC: For diplomatic reasons?

MR: Yes.

GC: Okay, thatís fine. I think we can all read between those lines. But thatís absurd, how can they not except any journalist, any reasonable journalist, not to ask that question? Itís what everyone wants to know.

MR: [still feeling very awkward] The key thing is we try to focus people away from that sort of thing and try to focus them on the fact that the game is fun no matter what platform itís on.

What really amazes me about this is that now we're relying on some free subway newspaper to provide us with real journalism that is prepared to ask the hard questions. IGN, Gamespot, where are you? Pathetic.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: November 06, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2013, 07:25:56 AM

What really amazes me about this is that now we're relying on some free subway newspaper to provide us with real journalism that is prepared to ask the hard questions. IGN, Gamespot, where are you? Pathetic.

Games journalism has always been beholden to the companies they're supposed to be covering. Both Sony and Microsoft have the big sites by the balls for a large variety of reasons. Especially now, before the launch of a new console generation, the media is weak. The most obvious threat against them right now is the way Sony has been handling things this month. The media doesn't want to risk getting locked out of Sony's "review events", which would force them to wait until the PS4 is out before being able to review games for it. Microsoft seems to have a similar sort of iron grip, but its nature is less clear. We do know that nobody who knows anything about the Xbox One is allowed to even hint at it until the 12th, which is why we have to go through the rumor mill and secret sources.

There's a lot of money at stake for every site out there right now. Not being able to properly cover the console launch would be devastating. Ironically, any one of them willing to play hardball and take on the companies would probably gain a LOT of publicity for it.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 06, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »

You'd think the big sites could band together and play hardball in negotiations. I know they're desperate for clicks but you'd think they would have enough mainstream influence to make MS or Sony hurt if they wanted to.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 06, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »

hell yeah... so in

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1019 on: November 06, 2013, 01:22:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 06, 2013, 11:15:03 AM

hell yeah... so in

I love the fact that you can go into weapon lockers and get out stuff you've already made.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 06, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »

Albert Penello has confirmed Xbox Music will be free (ad supported) with an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Sweet!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: November 06, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

Nice. I hope that carries over to all the other platforms - and that there is a pay service you can buy if the commercials make you  mad.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 06, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 06, 2013, 01:24:40 PM

Albert Penello has confirmed Xbox Music will be free (ad supported) with an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Sweet!

Okay, this is not me being negative against good Xbox news, but if it requires a live gold subscription, its not free, is it? Or am I missing something here? :-)

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1023 on: November 06, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »

No, you're right - it's not free - but they are bringing value to the Gold platform. /shrugs
Owning an Xbox One isn't free either. At least they're being up-front about it - and where Sony is charging for their streaming music service, MS is instead offering theirs free (plus ads) for those willing to take the plunge. Two different ways of tackling it - one has a pay gate that is same as/more than the others entire online experience.

For the same thing on PSN, you'd be paying for PSN plus their streaming service (mind you, no ads).

Frankly, owning either next-gen console at launch without a subscription is ... limiting? to the experiences offered.

The fitness app will be free for at least 30 days for gold customers this year too - but I'm sure it's a way to bring awareness - the folks making the content will likely be pay-to-play services.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:42:07 PM by Purge » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: November 06, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

The reason I mentioned other platforms is that Sony offers their services based on level of subscription.

a 5/mo account doesn't get you the Sony music everywhere - so I'm wondering if (once again, ad supported) Xbox Music will be available on all things that have your live account on it.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/xbox-music-app-now-available-on-iphone-android-devices

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: November 06, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2013, 01:35:06 PM

Okay, this is not me being negative against good Xbox news, but if it requires a live gold subscription, its not free, is it? Or am I missing something here? :-)

It's mostly considered free because of the comparison with Sony's equivalent service, which costs money (though it doesn't require PS Plus, so it's got that advantage at the very least). I like Microsoft's solution here. While I'd never again use an ad-supported subscription for music (I pay for Spotify), I know a lot of people who'd love something like this.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 06, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 01:49:16 PM

It's mostly considered free because of the comparison with Sony's equivalent service, which costs money (though it doesn't require PS Plus, so it's got that advantage at the very least). I like Microsoft's solution here. While I'd never again use an ad-supported subscription for music (I pay for Spotify), I know a lot of people who'd love something like this.

Love Spotify -- that is all

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 06, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 06, 2013, 01:40:19 PM

No, you're right - it's not free - but they are bringing value to the Gold platform. /shrugs
Owning an Xbox One isn't free either. At least they're being up-front about it - and where Sony is charging for their streaming music service, MS is instead offering theirs free (plus ads) for those willing to take the plunge. Two different ways of tackling it - one has a pay gate that is same as/more than the others entire online experience.

For the same thing on PSN, you'd be paying for PSN plus their streaming service (mind you, no ads).

Frankly, owning either next-gen console at launch without a subscription is ... limiting? to the experiences offered.

The fitness app will be free for at least 30 days for gold customers this year too - but I'm sure it's a way to bring awareness - the folks making the content will likely be pay-to-play services.

Thanks Purge - that makes a lot of sense. Its a bit of a shame that both consoles costs money to use fully these days. Too many things are getting to be subscription based to my liking. I guess its a sign of the times. People don't do large savings anymore, but instead whittle down monthly budgets to get what they want.

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 01:49:16 PM

I havent really followed what apps comes with PS4 or Xbox, so nice to know these things.

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 06, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

To be totally transparent, the free version does come with a lot of limitations:

- Ads
- No offline listening for PC/tablet/phone
- No device syncing
- No access to music video streaming service
- Streaming unlimited for 6 months, then limited to 10 hours/month

This is taken from the current Xbox Music Pass details; whether they will modify this for this particular promotion is unknown. However, free is free and better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I've got a friend who subscribes to the full service and he likes it a great deal. Said it's not perfect but very, very convenient in terms of having it accessible from all his devices.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:07:31 PM by YellowKing » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 06, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »

The biggest problem with both Music Unlimited and Xbox Music is that they are not Spotify.  Just give me Spotify on consoles ya goofs!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: November 06, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 06, 2013, 02:30:44 PM

The biggest problem with both Music Unlimited and Xbox Music is that they are not Spotify.  Just give me Spotify on consoles ya goofs!

Fat chance of that when neither of them is even offering us the ability to play MP3s... yet. Tongue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »

I hate the idea of being locked into their service, but I understand it from a business perspective. I will probably pony up for a paid subscription, as I plan on ditching XM next year. I had been planning on going with Spotify or somebody, but if this works with my console AND I can get it on my phone/PC then it's a good fit.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 06, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »

Xbox One cloud updates may force mid-game reboots

This news is more alarming to me than the COD 720p by far.   
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1033 on: November 06, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 06, 2013, 03:28:57 PM

I believe they're talking about server reboots, not Xbox One reboots. It'll probably just cause a disconnect from the servers.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 06, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 03:30:43 PM

I believe they're talking about server reboots, not Xbox One reboots. It'll probably just cause a disconnect from the servers.

this part makes me wonder how minimal the impact could be. 
"Thatís a problematic thing for a game, and oftentimes it's in the middle of a multiplayer session"

also, they state that Titanfall is going to rely on the service quite a bit, so what happens to it when you run into a maintenance window?  this is the drawback from having the service integration. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: November 06, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 03:30:43 PM

Hmm.. I think you may be right.    They are also talking about possible cloud updates happening during low population times to minimize impact.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 06, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »

"We do provide a platform for them to persist data, but thatís up to the developer to utilize that."

I'm not prepared to panic yet.

Sounds like:

- Any system reliant on a cloud server that has that server go down for maintenance could experience an interruption. I think that's common sense.
- They do have a way to persist data, but they leave it up to the developer to utilize. I don't know why a developer wouldn't utilize this in real practice.

I'd expect we'll just see server maintenance windows like we do with MMOs. Unfortunately the developer worded it in such a way that it sounds like the servers are randomly taken down all the time booting people out of their play sessions. I would not be surprised to see a clarification forthcoming. (Or maybe I would - MS seems completely tone deaf to negative PR).

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 06, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 02:41:47 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 06, 2013, 02:30:44 PM

Fat chance of that when neither of them is even offering us the ability to play MP3s... yet. Tongue

Maybe we are talking different things here but the Xbox One can stream MP3's

http://www.winbeta.org/news/xbox-one-feature-mp3-playback-and-support-dlna-unlike-ps4

I'm not up on DLNA and personally never played MP3's on the PS3 or 360.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »

I'm more concerned about the "without warning" part than the actual maintenance.  If they could schedule it for 2am and give a few warnings like MMOs do, then no big deal.  If it happens randomly and without warning in the middle of prime time evenings?  That's much more annoying.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1039 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »

Holy crap IGN. Looking for clicks?!

You mean to tell me, in an enterprise where you have 300,000 servers, that they posit that MS has this and only this?

So, they just press the giant "shutdown" button and all servers restart at the same time? retard Load balancing control methods can be put in place to wean games off servers, bring just those servers down, patch and bring them back up and move on to the next group.

At this point in time, I doubt MS cares if patching impact clients right now (for interruptions) since their patching of the servers is far more important than a session closing down unexpectedly on an online game that may be going through testing with developers.

The system hasn't been transitioned to production yet, and I have ZERO expectation that this would be an issue.

... there's no way MS is going to simply bounce servers on people in the middle of games unless there was some critical issue. If they set up maintenance windows, it's going to be peace-meal as above unless there is some giant critical issue - they've been doing this for years with XBL - a change in that would be retarded and the glimmer of a chance of that happening requires some pretty drastic issues to exist. All servers need updating, and making that invisible to users is key. MS isn't some fly-by-night company that hasn't, oh-I-don't-know, built a business around such things. Tongue

Note my frustration has ZERO to do with the post here, or the ideas brought forth by GT folks - it's a really, really dumb chicken-little post from IGN to drum up clicks.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:14:10 PM by Purge » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: