http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:30:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 43065 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #840 on: November 04, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 04, 2013, 01:30:35 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the indie game emphasis. It's probably because I already have two platforms to play cheap indie titles on - a PC and an iPad. Lord knows I don't need a $400 console on top of it to play games like that. I can see why people without a PC would be into it, but for me personally it's not much of an incentive.

Sony's new love for indie gaming is what tipped my favor to the PS4. The next great gaming experiences are forged in the crucible of indie development. I think it's a brilliant strategy.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

cancelled the PS4 .. my guilt wouldn't allow me to make a profit off someone willing to pay double for it.  I just can't be that guy

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 04, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 04, 2013, 02:26:13 PM

cancelled the PS4 .. my guilt wouldn't allow me to make a profit off someone willing to pay double for it.  I just can't be that guy

You're a good egg.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

thumbsup

Good man!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 04, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »

Well, I applaud you for not being that guy.   I definitely would have been that guy and tried to make several hundred off of it.   

Either some kid who has parents that are desperate to find a PS4 will be happy this Christmas, or some bastard like me will snag it and almost double their money.   slywink
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 04, 2013, 03:47:53 PM »

Even as a guy getting both consoles (and who has aggressively defended the Xbone here in this very thread), I have to admit that the MS long-term exclusives list looks pathetic compared to PS4.

Launch exclusives?   Totally won by MS.     Announced exclusives?    Even with Titanfall (and that's a big one), Sony is running away with this thing.  

Should I trust that MS has some things up their sleeves that haven't been announced?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:49:53 PM by msduncan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »

Yeah, I don't understand the indie game emphasis. It's probably because I already have two platforms to play cheap indie titles on - a PC and an iPad. Lord knows I don't need a $400 console on top of it to play games like that. I can see why people without a PC would be into it, but for me personally it's not much of an incentive.

this.  plus I imagine I'll be able to get them at a cheaper price quicker than the price will drop on XBL/PsN.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 03:47:53 PM

Should I trust that MS has some things up their sleeves that haven't been announced?

considering the debacle that happens every time they open their mouth, it wouldn't surprise me if they were holding back stuff to show until it was absolutely perfect.  Probably not the smartest move, but at this point it seems to be a lose/lose situation with the rabble.

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 04, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 04, 2013, 03:54:43 PM

this.  plus I imagine I'll be able to get them at a cheaper price quicker than the price will drop on XBL/PsN.

Nothing cheaper than free, which is what some of them will eventually be on PS+
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 04, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »

PSN+ is free now?  plus I'd have to drop $400 on the console to enjoy the free.....

DAMMIT, SOLD AMERICAN!

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: November 04, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »

Does anyone have a confirmed list of games for the PS4 available at launch (not cross-platform) - I'm seriously considering giving up my preorder - ~600 on a PC  has me reconsidering my purchase.

What games can I expect to play day one? I don't have PSN+ - cancelled my account about a year ago.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 04, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »

damn, missed a page biggrin

kudos to you!  mine was less altruistic; I just didn't feel like dealing with eBay smile

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 03:43:26 PM

Either some kid who has parents that are desperate to find a PS4 will be happy this Christmas, or some bastard like me will snag it and almost double their money.   slywink

I'd have to at least triple my money in order for it to be worth my time.  plus I imagine there will be plenty of idiots flooding auctions with fake bids.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:55:15 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: November 04, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 04, 2013, 04:41:57 PM

Does anyone have a confirmed list of games for the PS4 available at launch (not cross-platform) - I'm seriously considering giving up my preorder - ~600 on a PC  has me reconsidering my purchase.

What games can I expect to play day one? I don't have PSN+ - cancelled my account about a year ago.

Check the PS4 FAQ. It's being continually updated. Keep in mind that a few extra games will appear within two weeks after launch, but they aren't listed there.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 04, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 04, 2013, 04:48:28 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 03:43:26 PM

I'd have to at least triple my money in order for it to be worth my time.  plus I imagine there will be plenty of idiots flooding auctions with fake bids.

The last generation launch, I stumbled across a PS3 while looking for something else.   They literally were pulling it out of the box when I walked in.   I immediately whipped out a credit card and bought it.    I stuck it on ebay and got $800 for it.     Hundreds of dollars in profit.

The next week I stumbled AGAIN on the another one in the same store.    I whipped out my card and bought it again.    THIS time, however, the fake bidders and ebay trolls had managed to destroy the market.   You could list the machine 4 times and you would get people sabotage all 4 auctions.   You would then have to work through Ebay to get your money refunded.  

I finally wound up keeping the second unit because of these assholes.    It was a happy accident though, because I wonder if I would have bought one at all had it not been for this.    I would have missed out on Demons Souls, Uncharted, God of War, etc etc that we've talked about before.

My Xbox 360 experience was even worse.     I camped out at Best Buy overnight in 33 degree rain just to be about 3 guys short in line.   I went home tired and empty handed.    A few weeks later I bought a $1000 bundle from Walmart.com and took everything back for a refund except for the actual machine at my local Walmart.   What a damned hassle....
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: November 04, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »

BTW -- wasn't there supposed to be a two week constant stream of info, reviews, video, etc starting this week?

It seems awful quiet for 11 days before a console launch.....
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 05:04:44 PM

BTW -- wasn't there supposed to be a two week constant stream of info, reviews, video, etc starting this week?

I don't know about the PS4 (we already have reviews of AC4 and BF4 for that at least, and we'll get CoD tomorrow), but the XBox One won't get any reviews until the 12th at the earliest due to its bizarre embargo.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 04, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2013, 05:11:55 PM

I don't know about the PS4 (we already have reviews of AC4 and BF4 for that at least, and we'll get CoD tomorrow), but the XBox One won't get any reviews until the 12th at the earliest due to its bizarre embargo.

Wait... I assumed the reviews for the AC4 and BF4 were current gen version reviews and they would have separate reviews for the next gen.   Do I need to beat feet over to metacritic and have another look?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: November 04, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 05:17:17 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2013, 05:11:55 PM

Wait... I assumed the reviews for the AC4 and BF4 were current gen version reviews and they would have separate reviews for the next gen.   Do I need to beat feet over to metacritic and have another look?

It depends on the sites and whether they had access to the PS4s, but there's plenty of PS4 reviews for both AC4 and BF4 out there, and we know for a fact that CoD will be reviewed for PS4 as well tomorrow.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 04, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »

Good for you.  I find the practice pretty despicable and right up there on the "this is why we can't have nice things" list along with abusing return policies so much that companies scale them back enough and hurt legitimate returns.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

I chuckled

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 04, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

There's a whole series of LotR 720 gifs, I'll try and find the others.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:05:41 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »

Now now, play nice. Tongue
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 04, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 04, 2013, 05:59:47 PM

cancelled the PS4 .. my guilt wouldn't allow me to make a profit off someone willing to pay double for it.  I just can't be that guy

Good for you.  I find the practice pretty despicable and right up there on the "this is why we can't have nice things" list along with abusing return policies so much that companies scale them back enough and hurt legitimate returns.

Ditto.  I'm disappointed, personally, that I'll have to wait a while to see you on my PS4 friends list, but I'm glad to hear you're choosing dignity over cheap profiteering.

Console flippers don't produce or contribute anything.  They don't even risk anything, since an unsuccessful attempt leaves them free to return the unopened box to the store.  All they do is buy up stock for the express purpose of denying out other people, and hope to exploit the desperation of others for their own gain.  It's nothing but lazy, parasitical greed.

I was denied the chance to buy a 360 at launch by not one, but two encounters with eBay leeches.  But rather than find some way to abuse a local store's return policy, rationalizing to myself that it wasn't -really- stealing since they're so profitable, I worked with a friend to buy one through Purge fair and square.  He didn't seize  upon the opportunity to try and turn an easy buck either, and it's a demonstration of his character that I have never forgotten.

So good on you, Soulchilde.  Whatever you might be giving up in quick money, I think you're making back tenfold in good karma. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 04, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2013, 06:45:15 PM

Now now, play nice. Tongue

funny is funny  .. Not poking fun at the XB1 I'm just amazed at the creativity that goes into some of these .gifs
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:10:24 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 04, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »

Not trying to stir up the console wars again, but come on, this is funny.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »

So if one puts up an auction for a PS4 starting at .99 cents, and people keep bidding way past the retail price...  Who's fault is that?  It's not the sellers.  I don't see the outrage.  I also don't see how it's wrong if someone lists it above retail price.  Nobody is holding a gun to you forcing you to buy it. 

If you missed out because you didn't preorder, well, who's fault is that? 

For me, who is ebaying my PS4, I had every intention on buying it, until they delayed the only game I wanted.  Now I'm auctioning it and it's perfectly ok if someone is willing to pay more than it's worth.   That's their choice.  It's a free market.   If it doesn't sale, I'll be cancelling it.  But I'm not making anyone make the decision.  Why is everything someone else's fault in this world?  You made the choice(s) own up to it and quit judging others. 

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: November 04, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »

naednek, I think you missed every single point the previous posters were making about that kind of thing.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 04, 2013, 06:46:30 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 04, 2013, 05:59:47 PM

cancelled the PS4 .. my guilt wouldn't allow me to make a profit off someone willing to pay double for it.  I just can't be that guy

Good for you.  I find the practice pretty despicable and right up there on the "this is why we can't have nice things" list along with abusing return policies so much that companies scale them back enough and hurt legitimate returns.

Ditto.  I'm disappointed, personally, that I'll have to wait a while to see you on my PS4 friends list, but I'm glad to hear you're choosing dignity over cheap profiteering.

Console flippers don't produce or contribute anything.  They don't even risk anything, since an unsuccessful attempt leaves them free to return the unopened box to the store.  All they do is buy up stock for the express purpose of denying out other people, and hope to exploit the desperation of others for their own gain.  It's nothing but lazy, parasitical greed.

I was denied the chance to buy a 360 at launch by not one, but two encounters with eBay leeches.  But rather than find some way to abuse a local store's return policy, rationalizing to myself that it wasn't -really- stealing since they're so profitable, I worked with a friend to buy one through Purge fair and square.  He didn't seize  upon the opportunity to try and turn an easy buck either, and it's a demonstration of his character that I have never forgotten.

So good on you, Soulchilde.  Whatever you might be giving up in quick money, I think you're making back tenfold in good karma. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel

Walmart's bundling policies were a blatant attempt to capitalize on shortages as well.    I asked when I ordered if items I didn't want could be returned and they said yes.    So I returned them.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »

I don't think he missed any point. I agree 100% with him. It's always someone else's fault I didn't get what I wanted. Boohoo, its called life people.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 04, 2013, 07:21:22 PM

naednek, I think you missed every single point the previous posters were making about that kind of thing.

He didn't miss the point.    He understands the free market and capitalism.   The market drives these prices up due to shortage in supply and high demand.   He's not committing some sort of immoral crime for deciding to put his on the market for what other people are willing to pay for it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 04, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 04, 2013, 07:29:52 PM

He didn't miss the point.    He understands the free market and capitalism.   The market drives these prices up due to shortage in supply and high demand.   He's not committing some sort of immoral crime for deciding to put his on the market for what other people are willing to pay for it.

Scalpers provide no good or service to the world to earn their money.  Microsoft and Sony say "we would like to sell you this product for $400/500", the buyer says "ok!", then the scalper says "nope!"  Scalping is just exploiting how retailers can't* mark up prices higher than MSRP.  If the going price for a PS4 on ebay is $700, shouldn't Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop just charge that price themselves?  I mean, they're the ones actually providing a service.  Then everyone gets to enjoy the same higher market prices together.  Mission accomplished, what a wonderful world.

*why is that, anyhow?
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 04, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 04, 2013, 07:40:45 PM

Scalpers provide no good or service to the world to earn their money.  Microsoft and Sony say "we would like to sell you this product for $400/500", the buyer says "ok!", then the scalper says "nope!"  Scalping is just exploiting how retailers can't* mark up prices higher than MSRP.  If the going price for a PS4 on ebay is $700, shouldn't Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop just charge that price themselves?  I mean, they're the ones actually providing a service.  Then everyone gets to enjoy the same higher market prices together.  Mission accomplished, what a wonderful world.

*why is that, anyhow?

and if said "scalper" lists his auction at 99 cents WAY BELOW RETAIL charges, and people CHOOSE to bid over the retail price what do you have to say for that, because it flys against your argument...

Auctions/garage sales/classified ads are an acceptable market place.  What do you feel about stubhub? 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

I don't have a problem with people selling the products for more than they are MSRPed for.

I also don't have a problem with those people who have a problem with people who sell the products for more than they are MSRPed for.

I am exercising my 'Murican freedoms, ya'll.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 04, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »

He didn't miss the point.    He understands the free market and capitalism.   The market drives these prices up due to shortage in supply and high demand.   He's not committing some sort of immoral crime for deciding to put his on the market for what other people are willing to pay for it.

*why is that, anyhow?

The good and/or service they provide is possession, resale, and delivery of a good that someone else wants but does not have. Basically the exact same service a retailer provides.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 04, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 04, 2013, 07:50:33 PM

*why is that, anyhow?

and if said "scalper" lists his auction at 99 cents WAY BELOW RETAIL charges, and people CHOOSE to bid over the retail price what do you have to say for that, because it flys against your argument...

What part of it flies against my argument?  I'm not saying a scalper takes someone at gunpoint and makes them buy the product.  They're taking advantage of people who are willing to pay more than MSRP.  But if people are willing to pay for more than MSRP, shouldn't either MS/Sony or the retailer be the one to profit?  They're the ones actually producing and distributing a product.

This happens a lot with Transformers toys, since Hasbro is pretty stupid about how much they decide to produce a popular model vs. an unpopular one.  Since I'm into collecting these, I've seen grown men take a half dozen Optimus Primes off the shelf to scalp in front of a kid who just wanted to buy one to actually take home and play with.  This is pretty much exactly what happens if you scalp a console.  "FREE MARKET, LITTLE BOY!  YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE.  KEEP SAVING UP!"

So yeah, I think the practice is pretty despicable.

This same discussion got pretty ugly around the 360/PS3 launch era, if I remember correctly, so we may want to either drop the topic or take it to another thread, lest we return to Dark Times.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 04, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »

So far everyone has been doing a great job of discussing the whole reselling issue and I hope it can continue but lets work on keeping it that way.  It is fun to discuss things with you folks so I hate to see a touchy subject make this place unpleasant.

Thanks

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 04, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

I think our discussion is fine, and don't really see it getting out of hand.  I understand wonderpug and AA's point, but at the same time I disagree with their opinion on how they think it's wrong.  Plus as a moderator, I have to make sure my posts are respectful smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on November 04, 2013, 08:13:00 PM

So far everyone has been doing a great job of discussing the whole reselling issue and I hope it can continue but lets work on keeping it that way.  It is fun to discuss things with you folks so I hate to see a touchy subject make this place unpleasant.

Thanks

Completely agree!    In fact, as an olive branch I'm willing to offer someone here the opportunity to purchase at a discounted price (call it the GT rate) of just $999 for a PS4.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: November 04, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

I get the hate against it - but there is something called prospecting. It`s been around a while. These PS4 preorders have had to put money down - and the retailers have had that cash for months and months. Trying to turn a profit on the open market is not amoral.

It`s not like those sellers are monopolizing a product like drinking water.

As for `more than MSRP`no one has to pay that - this is choice. It`s much like a medical situation where you can go to private clinics (which we do not have here - we have to go to this Murica gellar mentioned to pay for that).

FWIW, I`ve shipped countless consoles from Winnipeg to GTers with no markup because in our market here, I was able to find things like 360s and Wii`s when you couldn`t find them anywhere. Some I had intended to sell for profit (one, I think, since my PS3 preorder didn`t get filled - I was 12th in line with only 7 showing up, so I bought a Wii instead). My GF asked for me to sell it to her friend who was looking for one - turned out she bought it for ME for Christmas - biggest. surprise. ever.

I didn`t make money, but I loved her more for it, given how dead-set she is against video games.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:27:29 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: