http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 35693 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: October 29, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 29, 2013, 01:51:07 PM

When COD reviews come out? When is that?

5th for PS4 version, 12th for Xbox One version (IIRC). Make of that what you will. Reviewers aren't even allowed to speak about most aspects of the Xbox One edition before that date.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:01:31 PM by TiLT » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 29, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 29, 2013, 01:28:49 PM

Little, Chicken had a thought.
Truth be told, his missives' caught.
To excite the masses, high and low -
Concerned with buses' killing blow.

was Little Chicken in the Kitchen?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 29, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 29, 2013, 01:12:59 PM

Well from now on y'all can find your own news. I'm taking a playbook from Purge and posting only in haiku or poetry form from now on.  icon_biggrin

I was going to say I didn't know why you got upset about it in the first place, but then I remembered it came from TiLT.

He is right, though, you really should link sources.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 29, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »

Linkity dinkity dock,
a link would really rock.
back up your citations
or face some frustrations.
Linkity dinkity dock.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

I do link most of my sources. Give it a fucking rest. Jesus Christ you guys are worse than my mom.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:57:31 PM by YellowKing » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 29, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 29, 2013, 09:50:48 PM

Jesus Christ you guys are worse than my mom.

bundle up before
you go outside into snow
lest you catch a cold.

(just messing with you Tongue)

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 30, 2013, 12:18:06 AM »

Sony or MS
PS4 or XB1
Launch day none perform
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »

Dammit.. it's still 30 days till November 22/15?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 30, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »

I do link most of my sources. Give it a fucking rest. Jesus Christ you guys are worse than my mom.  icon_razz

I've heard she links everybody's sources, if you know what I mean.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: October 30, 2013, 03:01:44 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 30, 2013, 02:40:21 AM

No, I don't. Does this have anything to do with being eaten by a Grue?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:53 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 03:01:44 AM

Quote from: The Grue on October 30, 2013, 02:40:21 AM

No, I don't. Does this have anything to do with being eaten by a Grue?

That's how it starts, yes.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 30, 2013, 03:18:03 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 02:39:31 AM

Dammit.. it's still 30 days till November 22/15?

yes.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 30, 2013, 03:37:37 AM »

Ok all joking aside, here's my thoughts on everything today.

1. Definitely disappointing that the Xbox isn't at parity with the PS4, but that's something we pretty much knew by now....

2. ....However, actually pleased the differences between the two were relatively minor. I'm not referring to technical perspective, I'm talking real world perception. I thought the game looked great (well, as great as a console can look) on both systems considering it's a launch title.

3. Doesn't change my mind about buying the Xbox - I'm willing to take that minor visual trade-off in exchange for the multimedia features...

4. ....However, I'm still on the fence about buying a lot of cross-platform titles until I see how more games shake out in comparison.

5. I'm pretty comfortable at this point that the rumor mill can be safely ignored, as pretty much everything so far (even the confirmed stuff) seems to have been blown way out of proportion. I expected the BF4 stuff to be World War 3, and instead it's kind of a collective yawn.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 30, 2013, 03:43:43 AM »

Just read 8 pages of this in one sitting and this is a pretty depressing thread.

A group of guys who have been on a forum for 10 years together should have more of a spirit of cooperation and partnership in truth seeking rather than ones upmanship for a console that they've had no hand in developing.

As for me, my wife has unexpectedly signed off on XB1 purchase for the family, but I'm hard pressed to justify Kinnect for the kids as I've found absolutely NOTHING about what will be available and when.  Any help appreciated.

I still have them both pre-ordered and hope I can kick around again with the old crew in COD after two iterations off.  I don't think most of you have dumped me from your friends list yet...and maybe if I catch Hark in the right mood, he'll add me back on slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:56 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 30, 2013, 03:43:43 AM

I still have them both pre-ordered and hope I can kick around again with the old crew in COD after two iterations off.  I don't think most of you have dumped me from your friends list yet...and maybe if I catch Hark in the right mood, he'll add me back on slywink

with the upped limit of friends it will be a while before people have to kick others to make space.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

Well, there's a Halo game available come December (Spartan Assault, a dual-stick shooter).

The Kinect game(s) are currently Fighter Within and the Wake Racing part of Kinect Sports Rivals. Just Dance 2014 is also a launch title.

There is also the Fitness section which is available by Holiday 2013, and is free for at least a month on Gold.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:06:42 AM by Purge » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 30, 2013, 04:01:56 AM

Quote from: ATB on October 30, 2013, 03:43:43 AM

with the upped limit of friends it will be a while before people have to kick others to make space.

Yeah. In a nutshell, you "follow" people - and you can see what they choose to make public. If they also follow you, then they are "friends" and have similar access to your info as the current system. No word on blocking, but I believe that is the case.

I hope they have groups you can classify people in.

I'm putting Kato in the "shit-scared-of-spiders" group.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2013, 04:11:33 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 04:04:11 AM

Just Dance 2014 is also a launch title.

c'mon ATB, just dance!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 04:05:58 AM

I'm putting Kato in the "shit-scared-of-spiders" group.

and then send him spider pics while playing CoD icon_twisted

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:11 AM »

"Xbox, distract Kato with a message that links to a feed of scary-ass spider pics!"

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 30, 2013, 04:15:01 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 04:14:11 AM

"Xbox, distract Kato with a message that links to a feed of scary-ass spider pics!"
icon_lol

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #541 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »

Just out of curiosity, I took a quick look at the numbers we have for Battlefield 4 to see how the consoles roughly compare in raw power for this particular game. Is it representative of the consoles at large? Most likely not. It's still interesting to look at in light of the percentages and speculation that has been thrown around (such as "PS4 is 40% more powerful" and "specs on paper mean little"). So what can we tell from what we've seen with BF4? I might get some facts wrong here, so if I do, please correct me.

• The PS4 version runs at 900p while the Xbox One version runs at 720p. What does this actually mean in terms of processing? Well, the 900p resolution contains 1,440,000 pixels while 720p contains 921,600 pixels. In other words, the PS4 version needs to render more than 56% more pixels than the Xbox One each frame. That's a massive difference in GPU requirements right there, more than I expected actually.
  • I thought only the PS4 version contained antialiasing, but according to the Digital Foundry article I'm wrong. I'll just ignore AA as a factor. (the PC's AA routines are superior to either console version, for the record)
  • The PS4 version has ambient occlusion, which is a rather subtle but expensive effect. The Xbox One version is supposed to contain this effect at release, but we don't know if that'll have effects on other parts of the renderer, such as framerate.
  • According to DF, the PS4 version suffers from slight delays with some texture streaming, a problem the Xbox One version doesn't seem to have.
  • Framerate is comparable between the two versions, with a slight edge to the PS4, which seems to stay 2-4 fps ahead of the Xbox One on average. Not a big deal, but worth noting.
  • The Xbox One version has Kinect support, which includes at least voice commands and leaning/head tracking. I mention this because the Kinect and OS on the Xbox One has roughly 10% of the system's CPU capacity dedicated to it at all times, which does affect game performance.

All in all, this does seem quite similar to the specs on paper for these two consoles, though the PS4 comes off slightly better than expected. So in the case of BF4 (and let's keep it to that for now. It's unreasonable to use these stats as a measurement for the platforms themselves until we have more games to compare), the numbers that have been floating around for the last few months appear to be accurate. It's also interesting to note the texture streaming issue on the PS4, which shows the Xbox One's biggest hardware advantage. With eSRAM being faster than the PS4's GDDR5 RAM, as long as the Xbox One can keep enough free space in its cache, it'll be better at texture streaming than the PS4. This is probably something we'll see in more games as well. As for pure rendering performance, the PS4 pushes 56% more pixels each frame, has an additional fullscreen pixel shader effect (ambient occlusion), and still has an edge in framerate. That's pretty impressive.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #542 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »

It's a cross gen title with a PC base that's meant for current spec PCs and consoles.

I really only expect exclusives to get best use out of these new systems this early in the cycle. You see it in Driveclub, Killzone, Forza, Ryse and even Titanfall's specific optimizations.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: October 30, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 30, 2013, 09:47:20 AM

It's a cross gen title with a PC base that's meant for current spec PCs and consoles.

I really only expect exclusives to get best use out of these new systems this early in the cycle. You see it in Driveclub, Killzone, Forza, Ryse and even Titanfall's specific optimizations.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. Then again, exclusives can't really be compared, can they? slywink
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »

"Both are round.", said the fruit merchant. "I wouldn't go much further than that. These have been plucked from new trees though, and they are not mature."

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 11:24:16 AM

"Both are round.", said the fruit merchant. "I wouldn't go much further than that. These have been plucked from new trees though, and they are not mature."

If you have something to discuss, then discuss it. Don't try to be clever/snarky. That's the kind of thing that creates sour moods.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 30, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

At Target on the week of the PS4 release, they are running a Buy 2, Get 1 free offer on all games!

Sweet, looks like I will be getting two free PS4 games. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT
If you have something to discuss, then discuss it. Don't try to be clever/snarky. That's the kind of thing that creates sour moods.

Confucius say "Never argue with a fool...he may be doing the same thing."  icon_biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:41 PM »

The news about definite Xbone exclusivity for Titan Fall is making me much happier about changing to a wait & see stance on which to get first.  I'm more on the fence than ever before about which console to get first.

Assuming Titan Fall really is as awesome as all the early impressions indicate, and assuming the 720p doom & gloom doesn't turn out as bad as the internet pitchfork mobs indicate... the Xbone now has three exclusive franchises that I really want access to: Forza, Tits'n'Fall, and Harkonis & Friends multiplayer.  

I'm also really curious to see firsthand which controller I prefer.  I know most early impressions give the edge to the PS4 controller, but I really prefer the Xbone's offset sticks and I'm very curious to see what the Xbone's force feedback triggers are like.

Add in having two kids who really could get a kick out of the new Kinect?  I don't know.  Despite all the clear reasons to go PS4 first, I have to admit the Xbone siren's call is getting a little more seductive.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 30, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 30, 2013, 12:38:19 PM

Quote from: TiLT

Confucius say "Never argue with a fool...he may be doing the same thing."  icon_biggrin
I thought that was Mr. T....

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 30, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

Hey Hetz,

You mentioned you downloaded the day one patch for PS4.     Is it available on the PSN Store or something?   I'm thinking of downloading it to a thumb drive as well so that I can patch without the delay on launch day.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »

I would honestly be a little careful with that patch until Sony announces it officially. For all we know it could be an test of their patching systems.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2013, 11:47:14 AM

Quote from: Purge on October 30, 2013, 11:24:16 AM

You're right - I never really left being active in this thread without an explanation - my comments are simply parallel to the concept. They are not snarky or clever. I simply don't care to open any other cans of worms in response to the idea presented, so instead I use metaphor.

So, my response above? In other words - you're comparing oranges to apples from trees that are in their first season of bloom. Compare this to *any* other console launch in history, and you'll find both hardware and developers are doing a fantastic job of actually bringing some compelling gaming to the platform. Must-have titles several months off launch date? Fat chance in prior generations.

Then, to take a product which is DEVELOPER DEPENDENT and drawing conclusions about how consoles are going to work years out, when neither product is even on the market yet? That's not just conjecture - that's simply silly.

Frankly, I'm not really interested in engaging this full-on as clearly when I say something -in some peoples minds- they see an MS bias rather than what's actually happening. For instance, there was news about an Xbox dev countering claims of issues on XBL - and that developer, IN THIS FORUM, was panned as a shill. Any word spoken out against a rumour is considered being an apologist, or defensive, and it's total bullshit, and not worth getting worked up over.

No, from your perspective (not saying you were the one to call them a shill), it would have been basically validation of fact on a rumour (were it to swing in the other direction).  IF THIS CRAP WAS SWINGING THE OTHER WAY, I'D BE SAYING THE SAME THING.

TBH TiLT, I have noticed a shift in your posts in particular - certainly the partisan slant has lessened, which IMO is good.

But as I pointed out much earlier, this isn't "PS4 sucks!" "No, Xbox One sucks!".
It's "Xbox One sucks, and anyone who feels otherwise GETS JUMPED ON." "But, but .." "SILENCE SHILL!"

That can continue in this thread unabated by me - I do not have a horse in this race. I have my own preferences which I've made abundantly clear - I'm looking for something new from the next-gen - pushing graphics on a console is "meh" for me - within 3 years all my graphics whoring tendencies will be filled by my PC gaming (and this gen seems to indicate that'll be sooner rather than later).

I'm just not interested in feeling like I need to defend my purchase interests to satisfy the chicken-littles who claim gloom and doom, but when someone says something that I want to either echo, or challenge as a concept, you may see a one-or-two line response. It may not be poetry, but I'm certainly not running around trying to open every can of worms.

To get things out of the way (since the info I've posted here is not something I'm going to discuss further - don't bother replying)

• Products are not out, and frankly with both having a Day One patch, whatever is out there now is not necessarily represented of delivered goods. Hell, we could see drastic changes in OS presentation (like the MS dashboard updates) a year or two out.
  • The development of games on said products are not at parity - MS was late to the party with mature hardware and dev kits. They also have a system which developers seem to need to work more at to get the results they're looking for.
  • The information about the hardware differences seems to be a determining factor for some people.
  • Were this a Venn diagram, that subset circle would be much smaller than the members of that circle would care to believe.
  • People who are desperately trying to warn people of a $500 purchase that might be bad? Don't lose sleep over it.
  • The act of slandering, naysaying and hammering on a product to make it seem inferior? That's called bucket-dipping. It's a form of bullying (linked way earlier in this thread, feel free to look up "Bucket Filling" for the definition of this concept).
  • I've not yet decided to go with both consoles - I just picked up a video card (my last one was causing system hangs and crashes) so it's dependent on cashflow from overtime and a 3-payday month.
  • These two consoles have a ton of fertile ground to grow in. Perhaps at different rates, but the market saturation is YEARS away. Worrying about month-to-month sales is silly IMO.
  • I really and truly hope you all are happy with your purchases at the end of the day - and I'd love to play games online with any of you, assuming we're on the same platform(s).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:02:34 PM by Purge » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 30, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 30, 2013, 12:07:14 PM

At Target on the week of the PS4 release, they are running a Buy 2, Get 1 free offer on all games!

Sweet, looks like I will be getting two free PS4 games. smile

Yeah, I saw this on GAF yesterday and cancelled my Amazon preorders.  I think I could probably get 6 games.  Let me think...

Killzone
Knack
Marvel Lego
AC4
Skylanders Swap Force
NFS

If pressed, I would also take FIFA, but I'll just have that in my pocket in case a game is out of stock.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 30, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 30, 2013, 01:58:27 PM

I would honestly be a little careful with that patch until Sony announces it officially. For all we know it could be an test of their patching systems.

Good point.   Don't want to brick my PS4 on day one.   That would be disastrous.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »

Swap Force on PS4 is sexy. Go for it (but get Magna Charge too ... he's pretty awesome)

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »

Quote from: Purge
But as I pointed out much earlier, this isn't "PS4 sucks!" "No, Xbox One sucks!".
It's "Xbox One sucks, and anyone who feels otherwise GETS JUMPED ON." "But, but .." "SILENCE SHILL!"

Actually, to me it feels the opposite.  Seems like some impassioned accusations of Sony fanboyism that aren't really justified.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: October 30, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 30, 2013, 02:08:18 PM

Quote from: Purge

Actually, to me it feels the opposite.  Seems like some impassioned accusations of Sony fanboyism that aren't really justified.

I have to agree. It appears anyone, not just me, who posts anything about either the PS4 or the Xbox One gets attacked, no matter the content of the post, by a limited selection of members here. It's the attacks that are the problem, not the fanboyism (whether or not it's actually present).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

I'm just not interested in feeling like I need to defend my purchase interests to satisfy the chicken-littles who claim gloom and doom

you don't have to.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 30, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »

I say we ban all console talk and go PC only! slywink

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: