http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 10:27:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 43977 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 05:37:59 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 05:33:20 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 05:27:58 PM

Somehow, though, in this bizzaro console fanboi world -- a few extra ticks on the clock translates magically to CRUSHINGLY OMGZ MORE POWERFUL MWHA HA HA!!!!!!!   It's bullshit.   There's not much difference.

Says someone who, like the rest of us, has had no chance to see this in action and refuses to accept rumors on the Internet under any circumstance. Don't mix facts and speculation. While what you're saying is reasonable enough, your conclusion is overly confident and doesn't match current reports. You're typing this stuff as if you know with 100% certainty that there's next to no difference between the two consoles.

By all means it was not my intention to get my facts mixed in with your speculation.    Apologies.
Roll Eyes
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

Somehow, though, in this bizzaro console fanboi world -- a few extra ticks on the clock translates magically to CRUSHINGLY OMGZ MORE POWERFUL MWHA HA HA!!!!!!!   It's bullshit.   There's not much difference.

Says someone who, like the rest of us, has had no chance to see this in action and refuses to accept rumors on the Internet under any circumstance. Don't mix facts and speculation. While what you're saying is reasonable enough, your conclusion is overly confident and doesn't match current reports. You're typing this stuff as if you know with 100% certainty that there's next to no difference between the two consoles.

By all means it was not my intention to get my facts mixed in with your speculation.    Apologies.

You will of course have no trouble producing a source for your "fact" then. Just one. I'm not picky.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 28, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 05:40:52 PM

You will of course have no trouble producing a source for your "fact" then. Just one. I'm not picky.

Certainly!   Have a look through any systems you would like at this link.  I'm sure you will find how the differences in GHz translate to only very minor differences in benchmark scores.    There's a ton of material there, but the story is the same on any of them you choose.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: October 28, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 28, 2013, 04:41:07 PM

I am also assuming though that to use the living room features of the One you will need to have a Gold account to Live which I am also assuming will cost a fee as it does.  If that's the case, that's a bit lame.

Living room features is vague. If you mean unified platform to control your tv, amp/receiver, recognize up to six people and be able to hand your controller off to the next person and have the system recognize it, as well as voice controls, multitasking and gesture controls? Don't think so.

I think video sharing requires it, and I think the online save games do too though I could be mistaken.

If you mean Skype, fantasy football, and services like Netflix, then yes. Netflix should not require it as all other platforms don't require a pay gate.

Both systems now require payment for MP, in case you weren't aware.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 05:50:59 PM

Certainly!   Have a look through any systems you would like at this link.  I'm sure you will find how the differences in GHz translate to only very minor differences in benchmark scores.    There's a ton of material there, but the story is the same on any of them you choose.

http://v/ ?

And no no, I'm not referring to your statement about the similarity between computers. I believe you there. However, you said that any claim that there would be much of a difference between the two consoles was bullshit, then had the balls to say that this was fact. I'm awaiting your source.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 28, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 28, 2013, 05:51:59 PM

Quote from: Travis on October 28, 2013, 04:41:07 PM

I am also assuming though that to use the living room features of the One you will need to have a Gold account to Live which I am also assuming will cost a fee as it does.  If that's the case, that's a bit lame.

Living room features is vague. If you mean unified platform to control your tv, amp/receiver, recognize up to six people and be able to hand your controller off to the next person and have the system recognize it, as well as voice controls, multitasking and gesture controls? Don't think so.

I think video sharing requires it, and I think the online save games do too though I could be mistaken.

If you mean Skype, fantasy football, and services like Netflix, then yes. Netflix should not require it as all other platforms don't require a pay gate.

Both systems now require payment for MP, in case you weren't aware.

Not exactly true.  You can play some multiplayer games on PS4 without a PSN subscription.  MMOs and some F2P games will work without it, it's about not getting double billed, but it makes determining what requires it and what doesn't muddy.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: October 28, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »

Also, if you're posting PC benches, you should know that the bottlenecks on PCs are both configuration and game specific. One of the reasons why consoles can last so long is that they're designed to get around those performance bottlenecks, and the games on them make pretty low level use of their hardware, unlike PCs.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 28, 2013, 05:39:52 PM

Things should become clearer in the next 24 hours when people get to see for themselves the PS4 vs XB1 footage of Battlefield 4.

That's assuming that the Xbone embargo is the same as the PS4 embargo. I'm going to bet it isn't.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: October 28, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 28, 2013, 06:04:49 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 28, 2013, 05:39:52 PM

Things should become clearer in the next 24 hours when people get to see for themselves the PS4 vs XB1 footage of Battlefield 4.

That's assuming that the Xbone embargo is the same as the PS4 embargo. I'm going to bet it isn't.

The guy posting that footage has permission from both Microsoft and Sony, but not for the same parts of the game. He's posting videos of SP from Xbox One and MP from PS4, with MP for Xbox One following a few days later, I believe.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 28, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 05:56:14 PM

And no no, I'm not referring to your statement about the similarity between computers. I believe you there. However, you said that any claim that there would be much of a difference between the two consoles was bullshit, then had the balls to say that this was fact. I'm awaiting your source.

You and Hetz have been quoting hardware specs (along with forum posts) to demonstrate how there is a big difference in power between the two consoles.    Since these boxes are nothing more than PC hardware for the most part, I posted facts about how slight variations in specs do NOT affect performance to the level you guys are asserting.     That is a fact.    

The only thing that could affect performance of a title in the dramatic way you guys have been describing and based upon the stated specs of these two boxes, would be that the developers of said titles didn't optimize for the differences in hardware between the two.      

The technical specs are not far enough apart to even consider.    That's a fact.

I yield back the balance of my time, Mr. Speaker.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: October 28, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »

msduncan. These boxes aren't just PC hardware. They are based on known PC architectures, but are custom made chips and connections between them. Case in point, the CPU and GPU are on the same chip, instead of spread across motherboard, and the memory is directly linked to both, instead of needing to have duplicate memory on the video card.

Case in point, one thing you don't realize about PC gaming is that almost everything in the video card's memory has to be duplicated into the system RAM so that the CPU can read it as well. This is not so for consoles that have a unified memory architecture. One of the reasons why eSRAM is an issue is that is complicates the simpler unified memory architecture.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:16:00 PM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 06:11:26 PM

You and Hetz have been quoting hardware specs (along with forum posts) to demonstrate how there is a big difference in power between the two consoles.    Since these boxes are nothing more than PC hardware for the most part, I posted facts about how slight variations in specs do NOT affect performance to the level you guys are asserting.     That is a fact.    

The only thing that could affect performance of a title in the dramatic way you guys have been describing and based upon the stated specs of these two boxes, would be that the developers of said titles didn't optimize for the differences in hardware between the two.      

The technical specs are not far enough apart to even consider.    That's a fact.

I don't even have to respond to this. You managed to dig a hole on your own, and I won't waste everyone else's time on pointing out things they (but not you) already know.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »

I think we probably will see some differences, but it's important to keep in mind that these differences will probably be due more to development time/kit availability more than hardware limitations of the consoles themselves.

Over time, I'd expect to see multi-platform titles reach parity as developers learn both consoles and program for the balance point between the two. If there is a significant hardware difference between the two, we'd see this come out in exclusives. However, since the very nature of an exclusive means we'll never see it run on two different consoles, the real world impact will be pretty irrelevant.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

Bring your own!

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 28, 2013, 06:13:55 PM

msduncan. These boxes aren't just PC hardware. They are based on known PC architectures, but are custom made chips and connections between them. Case in point, the CPU and GPU are on the same chip, instead of spread across motherboard, and the memory is directly linked to both, instead of needing to have duplicate memory on the video card.

Case in point, one thing you don't realize about PC gaming is that almost everything in the video card's memory has to be duplicated into the system RAM so that the CPU can read it as well. This is not so for consoles that have a unified memory architecture. One of the reasons why eSRAM is an issue is that is complicates the simpler unified memory architecture.

I'm fully aware that there are differences between PCs and Consoles.   That does not change the fact that minor differences in clock speed or memory types do not translate to huge differences in game performance beyond developers not understanding how to code between them.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 06:15:11 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 06:11:26 PM

I don't even have to respond to this. You managed to dig a hole on your own, and I won't waste everyone else's time on pointing out things they (but not you) already know.

You don't know how to respond to the fact that someone is finally calling you on this fanboi crap you've been pulling in here for the past two months.    It was only when YK starting piping up that you backed up and started trying to put on the old 'I'm just being objective' overcoat.     You've been dog-piling on the system that *you aren't buying* for weeks on these forums.   

I'm buying both.   I don't really give a crap to tear down one or the other.    However, I can clearly see what you've been doing around here (and others have agreed via PM with me) and I finally had enough of it and started challenging you on it.   

Man... it's like I've transported back in time to the teamxbox forums, only it's an alternate timeline where PS3 and Xbox 360 launches were swapped.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 06:22:56 PM

Quote from: Turtle on October 28, 2013, 06:13:55 PM

I'm fully aware that there are differences between PCs and Consoles.   That does not change the fact that minor differences in clock speed or memory types do not translate to huge differences in game performance beyond developers not understanding how to code between them.

Since when is 35% (and that's being generous) a "minor difference"?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: October 28, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 06:28:02 PM

You don't know how to respond to the fact that someone is finally calling you on this fanboi crap you've been pulling in here for the past two months.    It was only when YK starting piping up that you backed up and started trying to put on the old 'I'm just being objective' overcoat.     You've been dog-piling on the system that *you aren't buying* for weeks on these forums.   

I'm buying both.   I don't really give a crap to tear down one or the other.    However, I can clearly see what you've been doing around here (and others have agreed via PM with me) and I finally had enough of it and started challenging you on it.   

Man... it's like I've transported back in time to the teamxbox forums, only it's an alternate timeline where PS3 and Xbox 360 launches were swapped.

You may have noticed that nobody, nobody, has agreed with your latest "facts". Heck, you even got the rolleyes smiley thrown against you. What does that tell you?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: October 28, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »

I know! Isn't it grand?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »

So, umm...yeah. Look, I'm really not trying to pile on...but come on. You are about to drop $500 on something that has serious problems. Instead of deflecting and making excuses (like the MSFT execs are doing on twitter), start demanding that they fix this shit or delay the damn thing. This looks like a clusterfuck of monster proportions in the making.

I leave you with this just posted to twitter from someone that is very much in the know about what is going on.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 28, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »

Ok, and this may still just be a rumor, but I just read that the Xbone won't even have blast processing.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 28, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 05:10:17 PM

I read a great article that was basically an interview with several developers talking about the differences between the Xbox One and the PS4. (If I can find it I'll post it again, it was on n4g and I can't find the link now).

This Digital Foundry article sounds like it, or close at least.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-secret-developers-what-hardware-balance-actually-means-for-game-creators
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 28, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2013, 07:34:53 PM

Ok, and this may still just be a rumor, but I just read that the Xbone won't even have blast processing.

I heard you can't get the dev kits to play the games unless you blow on them first and then hold the cartridge down when you power it up. It's from a source in the know.  ninja

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: October 28, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »

*flips table*

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »

The common rabble over at NeoGAF is of course taking all this stuff entirely out of proportion. I'm seeing lots of stuff like "I pity those who buy an Xbox One" and "how can anyone buy an Xbone when it's a complete mess?". It's getting annoying finding real information in these threads between all the hyperbole now.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »

I still keep going to my cousin-in-law to get a sense for what the casual gamers are hearing or feeling about this new generation.  This generation he had just a 360, which mostly played CoD World at War multiplayer and some Madden.

A month ago he hadn't heard anything about either console other than "oh they're coming out soon, aren't they?"

Last week, I asked what he thought about Titan Fall and he (and his cousin) had never heard of it.  I told him that if he's on the fence he might want to go for the PS4 unless his CoD buddies are all going Xbone, since the PS4 is cheaper and will probably have better graphics for the next CoD.  He responded that he was "probably going to go with the Xbox" because it has the Kinect and he thought his 5-year-old son would get a kick out of Kinect games.

Just one data point, of course, but he's a recurring reminder to me about how different the mainstream market is compared to all my online gaming news/forum sites.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »

As long as it has Mode 7, I'll be ok.
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: October 28, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2013, 08:04:03 PM

I still keep going to my cousin-in-law to get a sense for what the casual gamers are hearing or feeling about this new generation.  This generation he had just a 360, which mostly played CoD World at War multiplayer and some Madden.

A month ago he hadn't heard anything about either console other than "oh they're coming out soon, aren't they?"

Last week, I asked what he thought about Titan Fall and he (and his cousin) had never heard of it.  I told him that if he's on the fence he might want to go for the PS4 unless his CoD buddies are all going Xbone, since the PS4 is cheaper and will probably have better graphics for the next CoD.  He responded that he was "probably going to go with the Xbox" because it has the Kinect and he thought his 5-year-old son would get a kick out of Kinect games.

Just one data point, of course, but he's a recurring reminder to me about how different the mainstream market is compared to all my online gaming news/forum sites.

Yep. One of my girlfriend's coworkers was asking me about whether she should get a PS4 or Xbox One for Christmas for her husband. I told her that it depends on how entrenched you are in their ecosystems, that the PS4 is $100 cheaper and is the more powerful system (at least on paper). She's ultimately deciding on the Xbox One, basically because he has an Xbox, and wants an Xbox One.

I assume that it will be like that for a majority of the average consumer. Brand loyalty, regardless of the facts.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that we're all in this giant echo chamber, and there are millions of other consumers out there who just don't care.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on October 28, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

I assume that it will be like that for a majority of the average consumer. Brand loyalty, regardless of the facts.

You would think the PS3 would have been a huge success over the 360, then, given how much mindshare Sony had with the PS2.  That being said, it's a different world now in that there wasn't an ecosystem really back then.  You didn't have the online IDs you do now and online presence could likely play a big factor in having people pay that extra $100 for the One when you have so many people with XBox Live IDs they're associated with.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »

There also wasn't social media in the same way. News travel fast these days.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 06:29:27 PM

You may have noticed that nobody, nobody, has agreed with your latest "facts". Heck, you even got the rolleyes smiley thrown against you. What does that tell you?

Um, that was a popcorn smiley and it was directed at both of us.   Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 09:37:34 PM

Um, that was a popcorn smiley and it was directed at both of us.   Tongue

Try looking again. A little higher this time. Like a lot higher. The top of the page will do.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 28, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »

I propose we throw in images or arguments from outdated console wars any time the current one starts getting to bickery.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 28, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 28, 2013, 08:57:55 PM

Quote from: davidrobots on October 28, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

You would think the PS3 would have been a huge success over the 360, then, given how much mindshare Sony had with the PS2.  That being said, it's a different world now in that there wasn't an ecosystem really back then.  You didn't have the online IDs you do now and online presence could likely play a big factor in having people pay that extra $100 for the One when you have so many people with XBox Live IDs they're associated with.

Some of the PS3 launch problems were caused by lack of availability.   
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 28, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

Quote from: Hetz
So, umm...yeah. Look, I'm really not trying to pile on...but come on. You are about to drop $500 on something that has serious problems. Instead of deflecting and making excuses (like the MSFT execs are doing on twitter), start demanding that they fix this shit or delay the damn thing. This looks like a clusterfuck of monster proportions in the making.

Rumored to have serious problems by anonymous sources. Based on pre-launch units that still have three weeks to go.

But believe what you want to believe. I'll wait until there's actual proof of issues with a retail box post day one patch.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 28, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

Well, Hell!   It tells me you must have won the interwebs.   Congrats.    Your anti-Xbone trolling is above reproach!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: October 28, 2013, 10:09:57 PM »

It will be fine by launch, or there will be hell to pay for whatever side isn't fine.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »

It's so weird to me that trying to warn friends about potential issues is now an act of fanboyism and trolling...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 28, 2013, 10:10:52 PM

It's so weird to me that trying to warn friends about potential issues is now an act of fanboyism and trolling...

There is a difference between warning and chronic, enthusiastic, gleeful dog piling.    Or trolling.   Or whatever term you want to put on it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: