http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 08:14:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 38324 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

If anyone wants to dive into the steaming cesspit that is NeoGAF to read some of these rumors for themselves, instead of seeing just what some of us cherry-pick and quote here, here's a post that summarizes the most important leaks, with named sources where possible, that have to do with the OS for both the Xbox One and PS4 this weekend. Both consoles are receiving criticism, but the Xbox One is taking the brunt of it and seems to be in much more trouble. The PS4's main issue right now seems to be that PSN hasn't been activated for it yet, but apparently that's been the plan for some time, with PSN activating this week. The Xbox One OS (all three of them!) appears to be having very critical problems right now, and there seems to be one more huge leak right on the horizon that we still haven't heard any details about.

I think the important lesson here is that we can't expect things to work smoothly on either console at launch.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 09:58:04 AM

If anyone wants to dive into the steaming cesspit that is NeoGAF to read some of these rumors for themselves, instead of seeing just what some of us cherry-pick and quote here, here's a post that summarizes the most important leaks, with named sources where possible, that have to do with the OS for both the Xbox One and PS4 this weekend. Both consoles are receiving criticism, but the Xbox One is taking the brunt of it and seems to be in much more trouble. The PS4's main issue right now seems to be that PSN hasn't been activated for it yet, but apparently that's been the plan for some time, with PSN activating this week. The Xbox One OS (all three of them!) appears to be having very critical problems right now, and there seems to be one more huge leak right on the horizon that we still haven't heard any details about.

I think the important lesson here is that we can't expect things to work smoothly on either console at launch.

That is a great summary post. Thanks for posting it!

Yeah, there is also one other huge leak/problem that the XB1 is having...that there has been no news on yet. Hold on to your butts, Xbox fans...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 28, 2013, 03:34:12 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on October 28, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

The irony is strong in this one.

Fanboyism is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

but at least the suffering will be in 1080p.

I lol in rl

edit- to add I think I plan to stay out of these threads when it comes to the XB1 and PS4.  These fanboy fights are just stupid.  Neither system will fail and I don't understand what vested interest people find in tearing down either system.   Just seems dumb, but that just me
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:15:31 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 05:48:52 AM

How could MS screw up something like party chat? I thought that was one of their strengths?
What really interests me is how little coverage all of this is getting. There have been forum posts and tweets and a few websites have talked about it but there's been literally nothing from any of the big guns. I realize that people might be hesitant to report on rumors but since when have these sites (many of which are not much more than glorified blogs when you think about it) become bastions of thorough journalism? I mean, Kotaku doesn't just report on rumours, they report on rumours of rumours! Is everyone so frightened of pissing MS off?

Maybe because reputable news agencies wait for evidence beyond a thread with self declared 'insiders' jockeying for forum fame before they go and put it in print and start reporting on it?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 12:05:10 PM

How could MS screw up something like party chat? I thought that was one of their strengths?
What really interests me is how little coverage all of this is getting. There have been forum posts and tweets and a few websites have talked about it but there's been literally nothing from any of the big guns. I realize that people might be hesitant to report on rumors but since when have these sites (many of which are not much more than glorified blogs when you think about it) become bastions of thorough journalism? I mean, Kotaku doesn't just report on rumours, they report on rumours of rumours! Is everyone so frightened of pissing MS off?

Maybe because reputable news agencies wait for evidence beyond a thread with self declared 'insiders' jockeying for forum fame before they go and put it in print and start reporting on it?

I would also venture to suggest that you might want to do a tiny bit of research before using the words "self" and "declared" right next to each other about something you know nothing about.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 28, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

I would also venture to suggest that you might want to do a tiny bit of research before using the words "self" and "declared" right next to each other about something you know nothing about.

I know plenty about forum 'insiders'.    You game forum enthusiasts just THINK you know about rumors, 'well placed sources', and 'reliable information'.    You guys are scrubs when it comes to that.   The SEC football forums are RIFE with this stuff, and as a result it's full of garbage information.

Example:  Brandon Ivory was out for this past week's Alabama game vs Tennessee.     The forum was FILLED with insiders proclaiming that he was suspended for violation of team rules.  He might even get kicked off the team!  People that others say are reputable 'insiders' regurgitating the rumor.

Result?   Saban comes out after the Tennessee game and says he couldn't play because of a medical problem.   

And this stuff happens week after week after week on these forums.   They INVENTED the damned practice.    The insiders somehow retain their insider status because they hit on a percentage of their rumors.    You know -- throw shit against the wall and some of it will stick.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 28, 2013, 12:33:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT
YellowKing, for a guy proclaiming neutrality you sure come off as one hell of an Xbox apologist.

I never proclaimed neutrality. In fact, just a few posts ago I said my "crusade" (if that's what you want to call it) was to defend the Xbox from some unfair criticism and, in my opinion, overreaction. That's what I'm doing.

However, I've done nothing to attack the PS4, and don't have any plans to do so. I like the PS4, I want it to succeed, and eventually I want one in my house. Tearing down another console doesn't benefit us as gamers. Hoping the Xbox fails and eagerly anticipating any more bad news ultimately hurts your game library. Every PS4 buyer on this board should be praying any rumored issues, if true, are ironed out so that the Xbox is a success and drives competition.

Phil Spencer has already denied the Xbox Live issue rumor, so all this crap is a bunch of "he said she said." Everyone is asking for Microsoft for proof that their stuff works, but nobody is calling for proof that it doesn't. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

I'm not saying there aren't issues. There very well may be. But I'll wait for real proof from reputable game journalists. Not a bunch of anonymous posters on neogaf. And I won't buy into the feeding frenzy around every bit of negative Xbox news that somebody posts on the web.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 12:33:31 PM

Phil Spencer has already denied the Xbox Live issue rumor

He hasn't. He dodged the question, as you would see if you read the post I linked to earlier today.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: October 28, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 12:28:37 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

I know plenty about forum 'insiders'.    You game forum enthusiasts just THINK you know about rumors, 'well placed sources', and 'reliable information'.    You guys are scrubs when it comes to that.   The SEC football forums are RIFE with this stuff, and as a result it's full of garbage information.

Example:  Brandon Ivory was out for this past week's Alabama game vs Tennessee.     The forum was FILLED with insiders proclaiming that he was suspended for violation of team rules.  He might even get kicked off the team!  People that others say are reputable 'insiders' regurgitating the rumor.

Result?   Saban comes out after the Tennessee game and says he couldn't play because of a medical problem.    

And this stuff happens week after week after week on these forums.   They INVENTED the damned practice.    The insiders somehow retain their insider status because they hit on a percentage of their rumors.    You know -- throw shit against the wall and some of it will stick.

I don't know squat about your sports and you know damn well I can't provide a counterargument to your "example" for that exact reason, but they clearly weren't insiders if what you describe is true. NeoGAF bans people who post rumors without being able to back them up with credentials or confirmed sources. Mods do this behind the scenes by getting in touch with those who post the rumors and asking for proof. Not only are the sources in the link I posted above not banned, they are reputable. They have a history of posting real insider information, with a couple of them going back many years. Many are named journalists with actual access to the hardware they're talking about.

Using your experiences with sports insiders as an example probably says more about your ability to separate insiders from rumor-mongers than anything else. The people who post unfounded or unverifiable rumors over on NeoGAF are ridiculed and banned. Heck, this happened just an hour or two ago. Some idiot posted a link to a YouTube video from someone with "insider sources", and he was rightly made fun of, not only because he couldn't back up the claims with anything verifiable, but because the arguments made little sense to begin with.

But hey, just continue to present arguments about this stuff without actually, you know, checking it out. Comparing it with sports is going to work out really well for you. I wish you the best of luck.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »

Not saying that I want this to happen, as I agree a two-console race is more beneficial to everyone, but to those saying that a console from a big company like Microsoft can't possibly fail as they have too much invested in it might want to chat with Atari and Sega about that.  It's not like we haven't seen major console releases fall completely flat or fail utterly.  Hell, I suspect Nintendo would be quietly bowing out if they didn't have the handheld market to back them up. 

Nintendo is all-in so far as video game making goes, though.  It's all they do.  Plus they seem to have a desire to keep Mario and company alive that goes way beyond just business. 

Microsoft, on the other hand, has other avenues.  The video game side was something that they seemed to care about at first (back when Fries was involved, who actually has a passion for video games), but more and more that's become diluted, and the Xbox BrandTM has become more of a means to an end for them.

If consumers decide they don't want that means. then MS will just use other means that they've already established and try to build those more.

The problem with their living room takeover strategy is that it's still unclear to the general public.  They tried to make it clear.  This is why it was so important to them to have the SPORTS TV launch before the game launch.  Their point was that this is a way to coordinate your living room first and secondarily it also plays games.  But apart from pissing off gamers, it also didn't drive that first point home to general consumers because they don't understand that their living room needs to be coordinated.

I said this before, and it's becoming more and more clear to me as this goes on: Microsoft needed this living room takeover to be the secondary message.  They needed to underplay it and really deliver on it.  If the games had come first, and they casually tossed in "hey, look at all this other stuff it can do," then all of a sudden all of that other stuff turned out to be totally useful and functional, suddenly this games console would become much more ubiquitous in the living room.  People would start relying on it without even realizing they were doing so.  Then, in the gen beyond this, they could have built on that.

I suspect that part of the reason we're seeing lower res is that MS saw that Nintendo had great success at the beginning of last gen with an underpowered machine.  And they were so hyped on all the other stuff they were going to deliver, that they thought the lower res might be a fair trade off.  And it might have been, but they forgot one key element of the Wii strategy: it was also cheaper.

I get that dudebros and parents aren't going to be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080, but that doesn't mean they'll willingly buy an underpowered machine that's more expensive.  By the time they reach the gamestore, if they haven't talked to anyone who has an idea about this stuff or done any research, that leaves them with getting advice from the dunderheads at Gamestop (or other stores).  How do we think that's going to go?  And if they don't bother talking to the clerk, then they really just have price to go on.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 09:58:04 AM

If anyone wants to dive into the steaming cesspit that is NeoGAF
It's not all bad. I got to see this awesome gif:

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »

If you're not reading that GAF thread you missed this amazing GIF.

Dammit Canuk, I knew you were gonna do that after you saw me post it at QT3!

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »

Quote from: TiLT

My anonymous sources are better than the anonymous sources on the forum you were talking about because mods do some sort of double secret checking blah blah

Oh yeah...and Xbone sucks.   I'm getting a PS4 but I'm spendin more gd time trashing a product I'm not getting rather than praising the one I'm actually buying.... blah blah

You missed the point.   You don't have to know crap about football.   Internet forums are the same everywhere.   People claim to be double awesome insiders.   Many times these insiders get their 'insider info' from some other person somewhere else pretending to be an insider, so they ride coat tails.   Some of these rumors just by accident get close to the truth every so often.    One or two hits causes the unwashed masses to proclaim those forum 'insiders' as legitimate insiders.    Most of the time it's a load of horse manure and they are wrong over the course of time a hell of a lot more than they are right.

There's a whole breed of people who forum hop from one to another pulling so-called 'insider' information from 'reliable sources' aka 'forum insiders from a different forum' and posting them to two other forums.    A couple of times the regurgitated information hits paydirt and BOOM, a new forum insider is born.

Neogaf and Reddit is a cesspoll of this type of activity.   It's the damned Mos Eisley of this type behavior.   Follow me?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 02:13:21 PM

Follow me?

Yes, and you're wrong. Not only are you wrong, but you argue your point without even bothering to look up information about whatever is being discussed. It's painfully obvious at this point.

And holy fucking christ on a pogo stick, will you stop with the "TiLT is slamming the Xbox One" bullshit? I've been posting every console rumor with any credibility that I've come across in this thread. This includes stuff critical to the PS4, such as the review event mentioned on the previous page (I believe. Maybe it's two pages back now) and the stuff in the link I posted earlier today. I'm very careful about not mixing in more of my own opinions than necessary, and instead merely try to convey the information. In fact, I'm perhaps being overly kind with the Xbox One at the moment by saying that it'll probably be working fine at launch when we're 3 weeks away and the gaming press is struggling with serious OS issues.

If you can't handle news and speculation about upcoming consoles, you might just want to stay out of threads like this. I will not accept attacks on my personal integrity from you or anyone else. You pull that shit and I will call you out on it.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

Follow me?

Yes, and you're wrong. Not only are you wrong, but you argue your point without even bothering to look up information about whatever is being discussed. It's painfully obvious at this point.

And holy fucking christ on a pogo stick, will you stop with the "TiLT is slamming the Xbox One" bullshit? I've been posting every console rumor with any credibility that I've come across in this thread. This includes stuff critical to the PS4, such as the review event mentioned on the previous page (I believe. Maybe it's two pages back now) and the stuff in the link I posted earlier today. I'm very careful about not mixing in more of my own opinions than necessary, and instead merely try to convey the information. In fact, I'm perhaps being overly kind with the Xbox One at the moment by saying that it'll probably be working fine at launch when we're 3 weeks away and the gaming press is struggling with serious OS issues.

If you can't handle news and speculation about upcoming consoles, you might just want to stay out of threads like this. I will not accept attacks on my personal integrity from you or anyone else. You pull that shit and I will call you out on it.

Still waiting on the gaming press to publish a story about the terrible problems they are having with the Xbone.   Still ignoring stories posted to forums by people who know people that are members of the gaming press that have heard stories about issues with the OS on the Xbone.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 02:53:30 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

Follow me?

Still waiting on the gaming press to publish a story about the terrible problems they are having with the Xbone.   Still ignoring stories posted to forums by people who know people that are members of the gaming press that have heard stories about issues with the OS on the Xbone.

Still haven't read my links I see. Reputable members of the gaming press are confirming the rumors all over the place. How many times do I have to tell you to do the tiniest bit of research before you actually go ahead and do it?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »

A meal not served yet may be undercooked.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 28, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Absolutely. I am expecting everything to be properly cooked, to use your analogy, by release. The amount of problems currently mean that we should be prepared for a glitchy experience though, even if there's nothing truly major.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 28, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

I hope my undercooked meal is New York Strip.

Oh and I don't believe the OS rumors about the xbox. I mean Microsoft is a freaking software company, if anything they should be able to get that right by launch.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »

If we expect everything to be fixed by launch (or at least major issues), it begs the question: "Why are we regurgitating this crap and arguing over it?"  icon_smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 03:14:10 PM

If we expect everything to be fixed by launch (or at least major issues), it begs the question: "Why are we regurgitating this crap and arguing over it?"  icon_smile

I think we both know the answer to that question.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

Because it's news. Because we're eager for the new consoles. Because it might not get fixed. Because we care.

Most importantly: Because this is our hobby, and obsessing over something is part of that.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »

I for one cannot wait for the first week of release. I'm not even that keen to play the games I just want to see how things play out. Who was right, who was wrong, who was covering up, etc.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2013, 03:33:08 PM »

If we expect everything to be fixed by launch (or at least major issues), it begs the question: "Why are we regurgitating this crap and arguing over it?"  icon_smile

we need some new bad guys.  where is a good Nazi when you need him?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

I am getting both consoles. On launch day. PS4 first, then the Xbox One. If one machine doesn't work I'll have the other. biggrin But, I suspect I won't have trouble playing Killzone and Forza 5 on their respective consoles.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Punisher

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #425 on: October 28, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 28, 2013, 03:10:45 PM

Oh and I don't believe the OS rumors about the xbox. I mean Microsoft is a freaking software company, if anything they should be able to get that right by launch.
Not sure if this was sarcastic, but if not, MS has a history of OS problems on release...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 28, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »

So I guess tomorrow is when the big surprise comes out about the comparison between PS4 and Xbox versions of BF4. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 28, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 03:32:18 PM

I for one cannot wait for the first week of release. I'm not even that keen to play the games I just want to see how things play out. Who was right, who was wrong, who was covering up, etc.

Oh who was right or wrong will go on long after these systems are released. Were just finishing round one guys.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 03:53:38 PM

So I guess tomorrow is when the big surprise comes out about the comparison between PS4 and Xbox versions of BF4. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 28, 2013, 04:06:08 PM

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 03:32:18 PM

Oh who was right or wrong will go on long after these systems are released. Were just finishing round one guys.

This is true. At least the launch will release some of the tension from the debates.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »

So for some reason I have completely ignored all new console talk.  What I am getting the feeling of though is that the PS4 will be a more powerful gaming system.  Is that a true assessment?  If so, how much more powerful?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 28, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

So for some reason I have completely ignored all new console talk.  What I am getting the feeling of though is that the PS4 will be a more powerful gaming system.  Is that a true assessment?  If so, how much more powerful?

I won't touch the second question (someone with less "baggage" than me might want to do that), but the answer to the first question at least appears to be "yes". This isn't a real surprise following the officially published specs for these machines.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 28, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

PS4 seems to be a bit more powerful on paper, but it remains to be seen how much of that comes through.  Recent rumors about release games on both consoles may hint that the PS4 does have the edge right now, but that also may simply mean the PS4 is easier to program for.  On paper, the Xbone seems to have some bottlenecks for future growth, but then, so did the PS3 and that didn't amount to much in the long run.

If you want a more solid, fact-based comparison of which is really more powerful, and by how much, you may want to wait a few months (or a few years).
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

That's what I figured.  I remember when the PS3 launched I was surprised at how small the differences were between it and the 360.  If that's the case here then I suppose it would come down to the other selling points of the console for me (such as this living room feature stuff I hear a bit about).  I am also assuming though that to use the living room features of the One you will need to have a Gold account to Live which I am also assuming will cost a fee as it does.  If that's the case, that's a bit lame.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

Being right in the middle of the new season of The Walking Dead, the Dead Rising 3 game is really appealing to me at the moment.   
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:17 PM »

I read a great article that was basically an interview with several developers talking about the differences between the Xbox One and the PS4. (If I can find it I'll post it again, it was on n4g and I can't find the link now).

Basically it boiled down to this: from a development standpoint, there isn't a great deal of difference between the machines. They both feature (underpowered) CPU cores, they both have decent GPUs (PS4 has an edge here), and they have differing memory architectures which are still similar in terms of usable resources.

They went on to say that developers aim for the middle high ground when developing for multiple platforms, and this means that ultimately they're going to find a balance between the two systems that allows them to work around bottlenecks and make their game look and play the best it can on both devices. The Xbox One's bottleneck may be different than the PS4's bottleneck, but both systems will have bottlenecks that prevent a developer from doing everything they want to do.

They were also careful to point out that specs on paper don't tell the whole story, and that you can't extrapolate a console's ability from raw numbers alone.

From a gamer's perspective, it means play the games you want to play. There will be fantastic looking games on both systems.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 28, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 05:10:17 PM

I read a great article that was basically an interview with several developers talking about the differences between the Xbox One and the PS4. (If I can find it I'll post it again, it was on n4g and I can't find the link now).

Basically it boiled down to this: from a development standpoint, there isn't a great deal of difference between the machines. They both feature (underpowered) CPU cores, they both have decent GPUs (PS4 has an edge here), and they have differing memory architectures which are still similar in terms of usable resources.

They went on to say that developers aim for the middle high ground when developing for multiple platforms, and this means that ultimately they're going to find a balance between the two systems that allows them to work around bottlenecks and make their game look and play the best it can on both devices. The Xbox One's bottleneck may be different than the PS4's bottleneck, but both systems will have bottlenecks that prevent a developer from doing everything they want to do.

They were also careful to point out that specs on paper don't tell the whole story, and that you can't extrapolate a console's ability from raw numbers alone.

From a gamer's perspective, it means play the games you want to play. There will be fantastic looking games on both systems.

That is what I posted earlier, but it was lost in the zeal of pronostication about how much more powerful the PS4 is than the Xbone.   

If you have any experience in buying a computer for gaming, you will know right away that the performance level between the highest specced computer and a more moderately specced computer is practically indistiguishable unless you have a benchmark program running giving you the readouts.    The wise computer shopper saves hundreds of dollars to get the moderate spec rather than pay for a few extra numbers in the clock speed, etc.     

Somehow, though, in this bizzaro console fanboi world -- a few extra ticks on the clock translates magically to CRUSHINGLY OMGZ MORE POWERFUL MWHA HA HA!!!!!!!   It's bullshit.   There's not much difference.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 05:27:58 PM

Somehow, though, in this bizzaro console fanboi world -- a few extra ticks on the clock translates magically to CRUSHINGLY OMGZ MORE POWERFUL MWHA HA HA!!!!!!!   It's bullshit.   There's not much difference.

Says someone who, like the rest of us, has had no chance to see this in action and refuses to accept rumors on the Internet under any circumstance. Don't mix facts and speculation. While what you're saying is reasonable enough, your conclusion is overly confident and doesn't match current reports. You're typing this stuff as if you know with 100% certainty that there's next to no difference between the two consoles.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 28, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 05:33:20 PM

Somehow, though, in this bizzaro console fanboi world -- a few extra ticks on the clock translates magically to CRUSHINGLY OMGZ MORE POWERFUL MWHA HA HA!!!!!!!   It's bullshit.   There's not much difference.

Says someone who, like the rest of us, has had no chance to see this in action and refuses to accept rumors on the Internet under any circumstance. Don't mix facts and speculation. While what you're saying is reasonable enough, your conclusion is overly confident and doesn't match current reports. You're typing this stuff as if you know with 100% certainty that there's next to no difference between the two consoles.

By all means it was not my intention to get my facts mixed in with your speculation.    Apologies.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 28, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 28, 2013, 05:33:20 PM

Exactly. Everything is pointing to their being a real, noticeable difference between 3rd party games on the consoles. Not just a slight resolution difference.

Things should become clearer in the next 24 hours when people get to see for themselves the PS4 vs XB1 footage of Battlefield 4.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: