http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 39211 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 27, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 27, 2013, 02:03:32 PM

I love it when media outlets start reporting on a Reddit rumor thread.

Awesome integrity.
The best part is that it's a GAF rumor that Reddit picked up.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »

PS4 + Waiting Until Later.

I've got a PS4 on preorder at Amazon for the kids for Christmas.  It's going to be tough - I've been putting back for it since early summer, and it will represent nearly all of the Christmas shopping for the year.  I should be able to manage a second controller and one or two games, but that'll be it.  I felt the kids out a while back, and they definitely chose a single large, shared gift over a bunch of smaller ones.  I usually can't spend this much, but the family games together enough to make it worth the extra effort.

The '+Waiting Until Later' bit has to do with the fact that I'll be getting it in November, but won't be opening it until the end of December.  If it comes out and ends up being garbage, I'll still have time to return it, unopened, and make a different choice before the holidays.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 27, 2013, 02:41:40 PM

Quote from: msduncan on October 27, 2013, 02:03:32 PM

I love it when media outlets start reporting on a Reddit rumor thread.

Awesome integrity.
The best part is that it's a GAF rumor that Reddit picked up.

Isn't that kind of the point here? Several people have been asking, in this very thread, if this will reach the common consumer. How it reaches the consumer, and the authenticity of what reaches him/her, is more or less irrelevant. If the topic is picked up by mainstream media, it's picked up by mainstream media. That's the only important thing in this case.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »

Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox One had some bad publicity when it was first announced, and now a new theory on Reddit suggests the next-gen console could face some new PR challenges. According to the Reddit thread, game journalists are dropping plenty of hints that suggest the Xbox One may have a potential graphics resolution problem.

Theory of hints that suggest that there may be a potential.

Sounds definitive to me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on October 27, 2013, 02:44:42 PM

Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox One had some bad publicity when it was first announced, and now a new theory on Reddit suggests the next-gen console could face some new PR challenges. According to the Reddit thread, game journalists are dropping plenty of hints that suggest the Xbox One may have a potential graphics resolution problem.

Theory of hints that suggest that there may be a potential.

Sounds definitive to me.

They haven't been doing their digging properly. BF4 and COD have both been confirmed as 720p on Xbox One by multiple sources now (including credible game journalists who have played review copies of the games), even if it's not officially confirmed by Microsoft yet (and don't expect it to be until the 12th of November when the review embargo for COD's Xbox One edition lifts). At the same time COD has been officially confirmed as 1080p for PS4, while several of the same sources that confirmed the 720p thing say that BF4 is 900p on PS4.

These aren't vague, anonymous sources. Named journalists have posted about this in public forums.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 27, 2013, 02:30:45 PM

Since I worked hard to scrounge the money for both of these consoles, I'm going to go ahead and let my preorder of the Xbone ship.     When it arrives, however, I may well have to sit on it for a few days without opening it to let this thing settle and see how it looks.    Sucks because my two biggest game purchases are coming on the Xbone with COD and Dead Rising. 

If there is one thing that Sony dropped the ball on this launch, it's the exclusives at launch.    I know as a PS3 owners that the exclusives will shine on this machine over the long haul, but they are doing a textbook Sony launch with very few exclusive titles to begin with. 

Agreed. If Sony had somehow managed to get Uncharted 4 or a new God of War game out at launch it would have been no contest, but it was not to be. Microsoft's only thing they have left are the exclusives they have at launch, Ryse and Dead Rising 3. If it wasn't for them, it would be far, far worse than it already is. Microsoft better pray they locked them up as exclusives for a significant length of time.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 27, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Since I worked hard to scrounge the money for both of these consoles, I'm going to go ahead and let my preorder of the Xbone ship.     When it arrives, however, I may well have to sit on it for a few days without opening it to let this thing settle and see how it looks.    Sucks because my two biggest game purchases are coming on the Xbone with COD and Dead Rising. 

If there is one thing that Sony dropped the ball on this launch, it's the exclusives at launch.    I know as a PS3 owners that the exclusives will shine on this machine over the long haul, but they are doing a textbook Sony launch with very few exclusive titles to begin with. 

Agreed. If Sony had somehow managed to get Uncharted 4 or a new God of War game out at launch it would have been no contest, but it was not to be. Microsoft's only thing they have left are the exclusives they have at launch, Ryse and Dead Rising 3. If it wasn't for them, it would be far, far worse than it already is. Microsoft better pray they locked them up as exclusives for a significant length of time.

Honestly the only things I have remaining in the excitement category for the Xbone is the following:

1.  Multiplayer with Hark, Kato, Soulchilde, Pete, and the usual crew
2.  Dead Rising 3
3.  The Kinect based interface features, assuming they work as advertised (voice commands, etc).

If one or two of those things fell to the wayside, I might decide to get an iPad Mini instead.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 27, 2013, 04:41:17 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 27, 2013, 03:03:04 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 27, 2013, 02:50:05 PM

Honestly the only things I have remaining in the excitement category for the Xbone is the following:

1.  Multiplayer with Hark, Kato, Soulchilde, Pete, and the usual crew
2.  Dead Rising 3
3.  The Kinect based interface features, assuming they work as advertised (voice commands, etc).

If one or two of those things fell to the wayside, I might decide to get an iPad Mini instead.

I was very surprised recently to hear that the PS4 will have menu voice commands, even without the camera. 

I know that's not the same thing as Xbone not having that feature, but I actually do use the voice commands of the Kinect during the day (I never use the arm waving commands at any time), and sometimes am sad that the PS3 doesn't have the same thing.  It was a minor draw of the Xbone for me.  Knowing the PS4 will have it (and since it's in the controller, I may be able to quietly use it at night) has put that minor draw to bed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Pretty decent summary post I found on IGN forums:

To summarize...

This is a development issue, not a power issue.
Development issue is related to ESRAM
Issues are pretty standard during launches. Moving from PC development kits to specialized console customized hardware at last sec creates problems.
Some developers are better at adapting than others
It has little to no long term bearing (see 360, PS2, PS3 launch lineups/issues)
1080P native matters to small percentage of you depending on TV size and distance you sit from TV.

If it's the straw that breaks the camel's back, feel free to cancel your pre-order, go to the PS forums, talk about it, and be a hero for a minute. Stop trying to convince others who don't give a shit that it should be an issue to them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »

msduncan is now my hero The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 27, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Hetz
The arrogance of Microsoft in thinking they know what everyone wants (the Kinect, DRM etc....) and damnit, they are going to force you to pay for it....will be their downfall this generation.

I have a different view of this. Companies need to differentiate themselves and introduce new product to stay relevant and sell new versions of things people already have. They also need to attract new customers to their product. Microsoft is attempting to do both of these things. If companies survived by selling stuff people already had, we'd still be riding around on horses and listening to serials on the radio.

My second thought is that just because you don't want it doesn't mean people in general won't find it attractive. If you look at the electronics industry today, you have already seen a shift towards this long before the Xbox One. Smart TVs, digital distribution, voice recognition - Microsoft didn't invent these. They're simply incorporating into a console what people are already incorporating into TVs, BluRay players, media tanks, etc.

Finally, it's clear Microsoft is attempting to go after both gamers and non-gamers this gen. I know a guy at work who has never owned a console and rarely plays games, but is buying an Xbox One because he's a home theater buff and is interested in the TV integration/Skype.

The Xbox backlash has been from a very small segment of the market - people who read gaming sites and preorder consoles. And despite that backlash, they've still managed to sell out preorders of a $500 unproven device. 720p CoD or not, the only disaster here will be in the eyes of the dedicated gamers. MS would love to have that demographic to be sure, but ultimately they're aiming for a much wider audience. There will be no "downfall" here, and I'm willing to bet my $500 on it.

P.S. Just for fun, go out and find some of the articles complaining about review embargoes of the first-gen Kinect. There were frantic mumblings that Microsoft was trying to hide what a disaster it was, that the device wasn't ready for prime time, and that this might mean it would be a colossal flop. Sound familiar?

P.P.S. At a recent BF4 event a journalist gave hands-on impressions - keep in mind that this is one of the titles strongly suspected to run at 720p on Xbox One. With no side by side comparisons, he simply couldn't tell what resolution it was running at. If a journalist actively seeking this information can't tell after playing an hour, what's it going to matter to dudebro?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:20:49 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 27, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

I doubt that I could tell which is which without a side by side either. But if I had the 720 version and I knew that there was a 1080 version then that would bother me. That's just the kind of person I am I guess.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »

Um yeah and tell me they weren't right in the long run. Kinect 1 sucks, unless you are a dancing game guru, it has little redeeming qualities.

What does that say about kinect 2?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:24:26 AM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 28, 2013, 12:07:33 AM »

Saying the Kinect 1 sucks is a subjective opinion. By sales measures (the only thing that success is measured by in this industry), it was a runaway success.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 28, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 12:07:33 AM

Saying the Kinect 1 sucks is a subjective opinion. By sales measures (the only thing that success is measured by in this industry), it was a runaway success.

YK you're trying REALLY hard to be a xbox supporter. Not sure what happened to take you from the PS4 to the Xbox but it is clouding your judgment. The Kinect 1 sucks, fair and simple, it adds almost no redeeming value to the 360.

I'm open to the Kinect 2, heck I hope the chat, video, and voice features work as well as advertised, but I'm skeptical.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »

the kinect one might suck for what YOU want it to do, but I have a ton of fun with it.  My family has had a ton of fun with it.  I also know plenty of people who use the fitness program and get good use out of it.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 28, 2013, 12:16:56 AM

the kinect one might suck for what YOU want it to do, but I have a ton of fun with it.  My family has had a ton of fun with it.  I also know plenty of people who use the fitness program and get good use out of it.

Next thing you know we'll have people jumping in telling us how great the Move is.  We put the fun in funeral

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:08 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 27, 2013, 10:19:03 PM

To summarize...

Issues are pretty standard during launches. Moving from PC development kits to specialized console customized hardware at last sec creates problems.
1080P native matters to small percentage of you depending on TV size and distance you sit from TV.

If it's the straw that breaks the camel's back, feel free to cancel your pre-order, go to the PS forums, talk about it, and be a hero for a minute. Stop trying to convince others who don't give a shit that it should be an issue to them.

All of that summary is opinion of a poster on an Xbox forum. Take that for what it's worth, which is not much. I'd prefer to listen to actual journalists or developers....not fanboys from either side.

When the consoles come out look at the facts. Which games look or play better. Look at the price or whatever factual other metric you want to use. Don't listen to excuses or spin from either side.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2013, 01:14:54 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 28, 2013, 12:36:08 AM

To summarize...

All of that summary is opinion of a poster on an Xbox forum. Take that for what it's worth, which is not much. I'd prefer to listen to actual journalists or developers....not fanboys from either side.

When the consoles come out look at the facts. Which games look or play better. Look at the price or whatever factual other metric you want to use. Don't listen to excuses or spin from either side.

No offense to the staff on this site, but over the course of my life I've found journalists to be of decidedly below average intelligence and common sense.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: October 28, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »

It actually isn't just a development issue.

By the time they figure out how to use esram, devs will also have figured out how to make best use of the PS4's stronger compute, and overall more powerful hardware.

So performance will definitely improve over time, but that doesn't mean the gap is going to go away, but it will be lessened at the very least due to relativity. A small gap means more with less performance overall, the better performance overall means small gaps mean less.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »

The funniest part in all this isn't that anyone who's spoken out against the rampant nay-saying isn't questioning PS4 decisions - this is all very one-sided. No one is cutting down the PS4 (on this site at least).

In my son's school they have this thing called bucket filling.

Take a step back, and determine your motivation in this conversation. Both products are coming out - both products will sell and be financial successes - whether that be to "l337", "dudebro", "hardcore" "casual" or people who like dancing games, they will sell. Be one faster than the other, or to X% more hardcore gamers, there is no knell of doom happening.

As I see it, there are two companies who have a horse in this race, and everyone else (I suspect even 3rd party pubs) want nothing to do with this back-and-forth. Consider Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. They have a vested interest in both consoles - there isn't a snowballs' chance in hell that either company is going to back out*, so the market is being given two to bear.

These pubs? They've got stuff on the shelf to sell, and they don't CARE ONE IOTA which SKU moves more. Why? Because this is not what they're geared to do. They paid the devs to build a game into at least two SKUs (often four or even six), and that is what they're selling on the stands.

From a hardware adoption perspective, they'd probably rather see both consoles sell out all the time until the market is saturated because the install footprint of both combined rewards their own investment. Look at it this way : If Xbone is failure to launch, and it is sitting dusty on the shelf, so are the Xbone copies of all the BF4s and CODs, and the SPORTS,SPORTS,SPORTS.

These are things that they do not want to happen, so publishers are walking a fine line They're not willing to commit to one side (and I doubt even year-two games would see this action taken).

You want call that a bias? It's reality. Both are here, both will succeed, regardless of how much XP we gain from bickering. There is no good reason to assume they won't - both companies have overcome hurdles far more damning that *anything* this launch has shown us.

*except me. I'm kinda done with this. I don't give a rats ass what the Internet ebb and flow has to say about either product - I care about news. I'm not buying a CBOAT64, or a "grumbly dev said this or that". I work with developers - there are some I wouldn't trust to operate my lawn-mower.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:25:21 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 28, 2013, 01:22:14 AM »

Xbox on...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: October 28, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 01:22:14 AM

Choppy video FTW slywink My bandwidth is hurtin. hahahahahahaha

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »

YK you're trying REALLY hard to be a xbox supporter. Not sure what happened to take you from the PS4 to the Xbox but it is clouding your judgment. The Kinect 1 sucks, fair and simple, it adds almost no redeeming value to the 360.

I'm open to the Kinect 2, heck I hope the chat, video, and voice features work as well as advertised, but I'm skeptical.

It doesn't matter if you say it sucks. I'm just stating the facts that financially it was a huge success.

For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun with the Kinect for several months with the dance and fitness titles. I also bought a couple of kid's games, though my daughter was a tad too young for them at the time so we didn't get as much use out of that as we could have. After that, yes, it pretty much turned into a paperweight.

However, there are a ton of reasons the Kinect 2 could be far more appealing, which we've been over repeatedly. I'm willing to keep an open mind, particularly since I didn't hate the first Kinect. I just stopped using it due to lack of software.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2013, 01:56:39 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 28, 2013, 01:22:14 AM

<snicker> Scheming Troll...

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2013, 01:57:25 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 28, 2013, 01:36:58 AM

It doesn't matter if you say it sucks.

it doesn't?  dangit, I smashed my Kinect for nothing smile

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:02 AM »

The irony is strong in this one.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2013, 03:12:08 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 28, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Hey, I'm not saying listen to me. Listen to the devs!

On that note....major problems with Live and the Xbox OS heading into launch. Like I said earlier....there are more problems than just resolution issues with the XB1.

http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/28/xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:14:12 AM by Hetz » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2013, 03:34:12 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 28, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Fanboyism is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

but at least the suffering will be in 1080p.

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:03 AM »

Jeff Gerstmann had this to say in regards to this latest rumor about the XB1 OS.
You may have noticed that they haven’t exactly been out there showing it off in live environments.
http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2013, 04:54:10 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 27, 2013, 10:44:25 PM

The Xbox backlash has been from a very small segment of the market - people who read gaming sites and preorder consoles.

Then why did MS reverse so many of their initial policies? Why bow down to such a small minority if the majority would want all of these "awesome features" as they were originally described as?

MS fans still can't seem to accept the truth that MS royally fucked up those first couple of months and has had to spend all this time doing damage control.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 28, 2013, 03:52:03 AM

Jeff Gerstmann had this to say in regards to this latest rumor about the XB1 OS.
You may have noticed that they haven’t exactly been out there showing it off in live environments.
http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to

I thought MS was running some series of events in different cities were people could play Xbox One games?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2013, 04:58:56 AM »

Basically, after reading that article and seeing other posts from insiders, here's the details.

One of the indicator of major problems, beyond general issues of connectivity and crashing, is that party voice chat doesn't quite work because there is no longer a unified VOIP API. When you're in an XB1 party, there is no party leader anymore, instead, when one player starts up a game, they and the party gets shunted into that game's specific VOIP instead of staying in system-wide XBL VOIP.

This is due to the whole system back end and API being coded by people who aren't familiar with games.

Others also mentioned frequent crashes and broken matchmaking.

The problems were so significant that devs were saying that it would take months of work, not the few weeks until launch.

Of course, we'll see if true, and even if there are problems, MS can probably sort it out.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »

How could MS screw up something like party chat? I thought that was one of their strengths?
What really interests me is how little coverage all of this is getting. There have been forum posts and tweets and a few websites have talked about it but there's been literally nothing from any of the big guns. I realize that people might be hesitant to report on rumors but since when have these sites (many of which are not much more than glorified blogs when you think about it) become bastions of thorough journalism? I mean, Kotaku doesn't just report on rumours, they report on rumours of rumours! Is everyone so frightened of pissing MS off?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2013, 05:55:17 AM »

YellowKing, for a guy proclaiming neutrality you sure come off as one hell of an Xbox apologist.

To summarize...

While there's a lot of reasonable (and obvious) stuff in that post, I've taken the liberty of bolding the parts that are outright wrong. To tackle them in order:

It's both. The PS4 has a considerable advantage in GPU power and overall memory speed that the Xbox One can't get around. Yes, this will get better as developers get more used to it (though it'll never get good), but so will the PS4. The Xbox One doesn't exist in a vacuum in this regard.

Having said that, eSRAM is the biggest issue preventing 720p in the games this is about. By reducing what we traditionally look upon as image quality and focusing on different aspects, Xbox One developers can reduce the need of using eSRAM and increase the speed of their code that way. This is what's happening now. Anything that has to with textures, which includes render targets for the entire screen used with full-screen effects, will have to go through this bottleneck in one way or another.

It has little to no long term bearing

This is actually the most worrisome part of the whole thing. 32 MB eSRAM is not future proof. The requirements put upon the eSRAM will increase throughout this generation and developers learn to push the hardware more and more, as we've seen with all previous console generations. Would you say 32 MB is a lot of RAM these days? Even the older iPhone models have a LOT more RAM than this, and they aren't trying to push textures through the entire thing 30 to 60 times per second. As soon as a render frame requires more than 32 MB of textures (which is always for AAA games) they'll have to start using the DDR3 RAM, which is slow. 64 MB might have been doable. 32 MB is just too little. The only real way to get around that issue is by reducing the size of your render buffers to 720p instead of 1080p, which makes a huge difference to texture sizes and gives developers a lot more room to play around with.

This quote mistakes "1080p matters to only a few" with "1080p can be seen by only a few". They are not equivalent in a commercial market. If the message builds that Xbox One versions of games are inferior, it will matter to many, many people, even if you could put them in front of a TV and have them fail at separating a 720p picture from a 1080p one.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2013, 05:59:31 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 05:48:52 AM

How could MS screw up something like party chat? I thought that was one of their strengths?
What really interests me is how little coverage all of this is getting. There have been forum posts and tweets and a few websites have talked about it but there's been literally nothing from any of the big guns. I realize that people might be hesitant to report on rumors but since when have these sites (many of which are not much more than glorified blogs when you think about it) become bastions of thorough journalism? I mean, Kotaku doesn't just report on rumours, they report on rumours of rumours! Is everyone so frightened of pissing MS off?

I've been quite surprised at how little this has been reported by even gaming media, but as I stopped to think about it, it made sense. These guys are under NDAs with both Sony and Microsoft, and the resolution of games is one of the things covered there. Breaking the NDA would seriously fuck up their relationship. These rumors are also pretty damaging, so any journalist worth his salt will spend extra effort verifying them before writing about them.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:43 AM »

Yes but since when have the paths of journalism and writing about games ever crossed? slywink
Also, I think you're confusing your Microsoft apologists (his words, not mine!)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2013, 06:18:58 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 28, 2013, 06:04:43 AM

Also, I think you're confusing your Microsoft apologists (his words, not mine!)

How so? The YellowKing part of my post was separate from the rest of it, which didn't have anything to do with him. I didn't think I was replying to him below that line, if that's what you're implying.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »

Also, a small comment from the another insider reports that smart glass if broken beyond belief.

Most of this info comes from, or through GAF, and you know how much a (*&#-storm that place can be. Just recently I posted some PS4 rumors from there that were blatantly false, but that rumor came from just one source. These rumors come from multiple insiders or known developers.

It's important to also note that Sony is being very secretive about PSN's status as well. Apparently, they haven't been giving out many boxes with working online play, assuming anyone with a box that connects to PSN is under NDA as well.

So PSN is going to have its own problems to start, and developers are also iffy on whether it'll be running at launch.

All this points to the idea that you really shouldn't subscribe to either online service at launch since there's going to be problems anyway. On the other hand, both PSN and XBL are known to give out extra free time for subscribers when there are malfunctions in the network that impact online play. Although in PS+ you are getting the extra games.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the social aspects of both platforms are completely screwed up at the start. Fortunately I have almost no interest in that whatsoever so I'm not expecting it to effect me much.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: