http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:29:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 41409 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 26, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 26, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

Come on TiLT, you've been one of - if not THE most - vocal anti-Xbone voices on the forum. Just because you're attempting some glimmer of neutrality as of late, it doesn't erase the history.

Honestly YK, I'm seeing just as much bias from you these days, which is weird to me.

I still wish we could just discuss the damn machines instead of this rather pointless bickering. I come here so little these days, for this exact reason. I guess I should just stay away entirely untill people have had their consoles of choice for a year or so.

A new one
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »

I think Tilt and Purge take the bias for each console to the extreme, the rest of us are right down the middle.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: October 26, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

Before this discussion goes further, consider this: This forum has always had a very strong Xbox 360 bias, despite also having a few passionate fans of the PS3. It was hard to adjust to at first as a European, but I eventually got used to it. That's why I get so annoyed when I'm called a PS4 fanboy or similar words around here in particular. The majority of you come off as hypocritical when trying to pin bias on someone else, and because the forum is so saturated with this bias, few if any of you are able to notice. "Being neutral" around here means leaning towards the Xbox.

I don't want to participate in a console war. I just want to talk about the biggest event in console gaming in many years with other people who are also passionate about it. I report both good news and bad news for both sides that I come across. That the Xbox One has had a lot more bad news than the PS4 over recent months is hardly my fault. The only times I lash out at people is when they've lashed out at me first by accusing me of something I see as unfair. I've recently stopped reading Purge's posts in the forum just because I know it won't lead to anything good, for example.

So guys, try looking yourselves in the mirror before nonchalantly throwing out claims about other people's bias.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »

Here's a preview impression on a PS4 demo unit (and I say this now: the dev units in future shop would SCARE ME off the game platform entirely - so I don't consider this to be a representation of final PS4 product)

http://games.highdefdigest.com/news/show/PLaystation/Sony/PS4/Impressions_From_Six_PS4_Demo_Titles_Controller_and_UI/12932

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 26, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2013, 03:25:52 PM

Before this discussion goes further, consider this: This forum has always had a very strong Xbox 360 bias, despite also having a few passionate fans of the PS3. It was hard to adjust to at first as a European, but I eventually got used to it. That's why I get so annoyed when I'm called a PS4 fanboy or similar words around here in particular. The majority of you come off as hypocritical when trying to pin bias on someone else, and because the forum is so saturated with this bias, few if any of you are able to notice. "Being neutral" around here means leaning towards the Xbox.

I don't want to participate in a console war. I just want to talk about the biggest event in console gaming in many years with other people who are also passionate about it. I report both good news and bad news for both sides that I come across. That the Xbox One has had a lot more bad news than the PS4 over recent months is hardly my fault. The only times I lash out at people is when they've lashed out at me first by accusing me of something I see as unfair. I've recently stopped reading Purge's posts in the forum just because I know it won't lead to anything good, for example.

So guys, try looking yourselves in the mirror before nonchalantly throwing out claims about other people's bias.

Oh this forum is definetely pro 360 because as we know, it was the better console.  MS did things right (despite the RROD) whereas the PS3 dug their whole and it cost them, and when they tried to correct it, it was too late.  Mind you I own both, and I mainly play on the 360, but the PS3 has some killer exclusives, mainly anything from Naughty Dog. 

With that said,  With this generation coming out it's evident that you are strong on your opinons (which I tend to agree with your opinions) about the PS4 and the XBox1, and Purge is strong with his opinions (which I tend to disagree with)  For the last 5 months it's been back and forth between you two with no middle ground.  The last 5 months it's been about "my" opinion is right, and yours is not.  And at the end it just looks like bickering.

So from someone on the outside who has no bone in this battle (for me I preordered both, and after gathering information and determined that for me it's best to wait) it does seem biased on both parties.  Nothing hypocritical about it.  It's a valid observation.

Now granted, this is nothing like it was when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48:57 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 26, 2013, 02:42:24 PM

I think Tilt and Purge take the bias for each console to the extreme, the rest of us are right down the middle.

just TiLT and Purge? slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 26, 2013, 02:42:24 PM

I totally disagree. TiLT is not extreme by any measure. I simply commented on him getting defensive when what he wrote had a perceived bias. Perception does not define the truth though, and I don't believe TiLT is a fanboi in any regard. I'd simply stop talking with him if I thought that was the case.

I'd defend myself as well, but I'm not about to make apologies for simply disagreeing with the Ridiculous Internet Backlash(tm) against MS. If you think I have a bias, then consider that I have had hands-on time on both consoles and found neither lacking - there are simply more games and features of the Xbox one that I'm not willing to dismiss.

I have no problems in satisfying Razgon's request to not discuss this stuff and focus instead on news about the consoles. In fact, you'll note my last post was doing exactly that. (and being clear of no intended bias)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »

Let's just say you guys are are feeling the same things others felt at the beginning of this generation of consoles. You'll just have to take it this time around since, as you say, PS4 is going to be the better consoles for the new generation, due to many factors.

And like this gen, MS will have to come out with killer exclusives just to keep up the parity.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 26, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 26, 2013, 07:51:39 PM

I'd simply stop talking with him if I thought that was the case.

this is the best thing to do.  I've got a couple people on my ignore list as it is, just because they're being obvious.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 26, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »

Honestly YK, I'm seeing just as much bias from you these days, which is weird to me.

Bias? I've started criticizing the Xbone at E3, then changed my mine about picking one up. I've never bashed the PS4, except for one instance criticizing the launch lineup (which has been criticized by many others as well). In fact, I've stated on numerous occasions that I want to pick up a PS4 a little later on. That's a strange sort of bias.

Really my only "crusade" if you will has been defending the Xbone from the avalanche of unfair overreaction. Fanboism, in my opinion, isn't about defending something you love - it's about attacking everything else. That's what I grow weary of.

At any rate, I'm not trying to pick fights, it was just irritation at yet another snide comment. It's probably my fault for reading too many comments section on every Xbox One news article that comes out on other sites. It typically consists of about 95% rabid Sony fanboys deciding this console war before it's even begun, and desperately latching on to even the slightest negative news in order to blow it out of proportion.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »

Quote from: naednek on October 26, 2013, 06:54:07 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 26, 2013, 03:25:52 PM

Oh this forum is definetely pro 360 because as we know, it was the better console.  MS did things right (despite the RROD) whereas the PS3 dug their whole and it cost them, and when they tried to correct it, it was too late.  Mind you I own both, and I mainly play on the 360, but the PS3 has some killer exclusives, mainly anything from Naughty Dog. 

With that said,  With this generation coming out it's evident that you are strong on your opinons (which I tend to agree with your opinions) about the PS4 and the XBox1, and Purge is strong with his opinions (which I tend to disagree with)  For the last 5 months it's been back and forth between you two with no middle ground.  The last 5 months it's been about "my" opinion is right, and yours is not.  And at the end it just looks like bickering.

So from someone on the outside who has no bone in this battle (for me I preordered both, and after gathering information and determined that for me it's best to wait) it does seem biased on both parties.  Nothing hypocritical about it.  It's a valid observation.

Now granted, this is nothing like it was when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out. 

Lol, we "know it was the better console". That's like Trying to apologize for beating your wife while telling here it was her fault...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »

These tweets are a bit too passive aggressive in their tone for my tastes, but their content is interesting following the last few days' debates about resolutions:

Who is this guy?

Jeremy Conrad is a former editor at IGN.com and has worked on the other side of the gaming industry for companies such as Blizzard Entertainment and Sony Online Entertainment.

If we are to be optimistic about this embargo, it could be interpreted to mean that Activision expects to have a resolution patch ready by then.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

If CoD and BF4 are both 720 on the XB1 and 1080 on the PS4, oh boy.  If that's not the case MS really needs to get out in front of this, the narrative is building and just starting to snowball.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 26, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »

GAF mod
BF4 720p on XB1 is definitely real.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87583465&postcount=289

PS4 res still unknown.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 26, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »

Wow....this is huge. The two biggest games, by far, both are graphically inferior on the XB1. Well, COD is for sure...and BF4 sure looks like it will be. I don't believe there is any way a patch can fix this...but hope springs eternal, right? smile

I really don't know how in the world MS can spin this....but they are the masters of spin, with the whole DRM circus.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »

Maybe they should have called it the Xbox 720... icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2013, 10:06:06 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 26, 2013, 08:20:51 PM

In fact, I've stated on numerous occasions that I want to pick up a PS4 a little later on. That's a strange sort of bias.

it looks like the only safe way out is to not buy a XB1 smile

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »

I don't give a damn about COD or BF4 but the next Bethesda game had better be 1080p.
I wonder what kind of overtime hours the guys who are doing the xbox version of Ghosts are working right now? smile
What actually surprises me is how much this is staying under the radar. A quick scroll through Google news picks up almost none of this. The dudebros probably have no idea.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2013, 12:38:18 AM »

CheapyD "confirming" CoD 720
I’m not reviewing any Xbox One games so I will tell you right now, Ghosts on XB1 is indeed 720p vs PS4′s 1080p. Could that change? Maybe?
https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/394239958799511552

BF4 rumor pretty strong, but the there's this undercurrent that the XB1 has bigger problems right now than running games at 720p while PS4 is 1080p. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2013, 12:54:02 AM »

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:34 AM »

The dudebros don't care. The vast majority of consumers don't care. Hell, the vast majority of people don't even know what 720p even is.

I'm not saying it's not important news or that it shouldn't be a factor in your individual purchase decision, but historically these tech specs have meant nothing in terms of if a console succeeds.

Right now I'm far more concerned about the rumors of technical issues with the console itself.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »

Of course the dudebros will care.  If the narrative gets out that one console plays all their manshoots better they are going to get that console.  The question is whether they will know or not.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »

I haven't actually heard of any technical issues at all, just slow developmement that should be fine by release day.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »

The narrative isn't that one console will play it better. The narrative is that one console runs at 720p and the other at 1080p. The difference between those, without a side by side comparison, is difficult for the average consumer to see.

Now I do agree that the dudebros are going to buy what their friends are buying, and if enough friends are hardcore enthusiasts that care about resolution, that could make a difference. But at that point the dudebros are buying based on their friends, not resolution.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2013, 02:18:15 AM »

For what it's worth, it's starting to sound that there are more than just resolution issues with Xb1 games....

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 27, 2013, 03:49:52 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 27, 2013, 02:18:15 AM

For what it's worth, it's starting to sound that there are more than just resolution issues with Xb1 games....

[TiLT] Source? [/TilT]
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: October 27, 2013, 06:02:10 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 27, 2013, 01:44:00 AM

I haven't actually heard of any technical issues at all, just slow developmement that should be fine by release day.

There's been some strong hints that there are huge issues with one of the currently available OS versions, either for PS4 or Xbox One, leading to all kinds of errors and bugs for those having access to that system. The rumors were pointing in the direction of the problems being for the Xbox One when I went to bed last night. From what I can tell, they originated from a series of tweets between IGN staff where they simply wrote quick and cryptic error messages, indicating an increasing sense of frustration with them. There was also a picture of a guy at a retail store taking a picture of himself grinning in front of a screen with the Xbox One interface and a bizarrely cryptic error that seemed tied into some kind of DRM.

*shrug* I wouldn't worry about it either way. As you say, it's probably going to be fine by release day.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: October 27, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »

It's MS, as much as I want to stomp on them more for the red ring issue, they'll eventually figure out the OS.

On the other hand, they'll just add more ads, make it slower, and start hiding all the games in weird places. slywink

I disagree that 720p and 1080p are difficult to see, it's only difficult because pure uncompressed 1080p media is actually uncommon even today unless you're playing on a high end PC or watch a lot of bluray movies. As people see uncompressed 1080p stuff and network and sources of that media are more common, you'll really be able to tell. The difference in the quality really is that significant.

Oh, and that 300 mb first day patch will be downloadable in the background on the PS4. You can play a single player game on it while it downloads. I assume it's the same on the XB1. So really not a problem unless the rumors of XB1 being unplayable until the patch is applied is true.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:32:15 AM by Turtle » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »

I'm a bit hesitant to mention this since the sources are so vague that nobody knows exactly what they're talking about, but it might be interesting anyway:

Adam Sessler has been posting tweets about being incredibly worried about his future as a games journalist since yesterday. He refuses to say anything specific, since he's apparently under some kind of NDA. Others with knowledge of whatever is going on have also chimed in and confirmed that something is happening, but nobody will say what it is.

The early speculation was that he was upset about the Xbox One, either the resolution issue or the later embargo, but he denied that (and others, including Marcus Beer, also said that it was not an Xbox One-specific issue). The currently most popular theory is that Sony has put a severe limit on the number of debug PS4s they've been sending out to review sites, with only one video site in America getting such a console. Speculation also goes that they may be adding a blanket restriction on monetizing PS4 footage, for example through YouTube.

If this is true, which still is a big if since most of it is based on speculation, I can't imagine it lasting long. Other companies have tried this in the past and failed once the public outrage started building. Neither Sony or Microsoft would be stupid enough to keep doing something like this and squandering goodwill amongst the games media. It would make no sense.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:55 AM »

I commented a week ago on that issue - the MS kiosks are from dev kits (according to MS staff) and as such are not running the latest software or hardware. In fact, I was pretty annoyed that they'd bother to do that.

Showing people, esp. open-mouth-breathing people version of your product that isn't ready for prime time? Bad idea. That, more than the collective opinion of Internet-bound gaming aficionados, will hurt your image.

If they have shit in retail boxes, they need to open some of them up, and put THOSE in the store. Show off the Kinect functionality - that's not what's happening though. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 27, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 27, 2013, 06:29:16 AM

Oh, and that 300 mb first day patch will be downloadable in the background on the PS4. You can play a single player game on it while it downloads. I assume it's the same on the XB1. So really not a problem unless the rumors of XB1 being unplayable until the patch is applied is true.

so, proceed with operation beer run while patching is in progress.  check.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: October 27, 2013, 06:53:16 AM »

the XB1 has a setup function - it wouldn't surprise me if the patch was applied before it got to initialize. I expect both consoles are going to be making me wait (even if the PS4 is doing it in the background).

I can wait for the thing to get up-to-date. before going on it. smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 27, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »

yep.  patience is a virtue slywink
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:06:34 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 27, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

I think Sessler's issue may be more publisher related than Sony or Microsoft.  I agree it's sounding YouTube related but I'm thinking EA or Activision as opposed to the console makers.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: October 27, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 27, 2013, 12:50:59 PM

I think Sessler's issue may be more publisher related than Sony or Microsoft.  I agree it's sounding YouTube related but I'm thinking EA or Activision as opposed to the console makers.

People still really don't know much about what's going on, but comments by Marcus Beer indicate that the issue is with a secret review event that Sony has apparently already held (maybe. Nobody is allowed to talk about it), and that early PS4 reviews will have to be based on experiences in a controlled environment during this event. Not being invited means you don't get to review PS4 games until the console's launch.

This is still mostly just speculation, so what I just wrote may be entirely wrong. I guess we won't get any answers today, considering it's Sunday. Then again, you never know...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 27, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »

This cant be good news for the XB1. The non-gaming press is starting to report on all this...

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-one-trouble-reports-call-duty-ghosts-running-720p-compared-1080p-ps4-1442726

Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox One had some bad publicity when it was first announced, and now a new theory on Reddit suggests the next-gen console could face some new PR challenges. According to the Reddit thread, game journalists are dropping plenty of hints that suggest the Xbox One may have a potential graphics resolution problem.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »

It will be fascinating to see what effect, if any, the Call of Duty differences have on sales.

To *me,* this news increasingly credible rumor would seem catastrophic.  Call of Duty is the biggest console franchise in the world, and Microsoft's big sales pitch over the next month will be to ask consumers to wait longer and pay more money to play an inferior version?  Sony couldn't have orchestrated a worse narrative about the XBox One launch if they tried.

But as YellowKing pointed out, how far does this sort of news penetrate and what percentage of people care?  I wonder:

1) How many "dudebros" are planning to buy a new console anyway?  If my annual gaming budget was just $60 every autumn for the new version of CoD, I'm not sure I'd be excited to suddenly pony up $400-$500 for a new console when the game is still available on the one I already own.

2) Where will the Friendship Factor push things?  Less technically savvy gamers might not care about 720p vs. 1080p, but they're very likely to want the same console that all of their friends are getting.  XBox has been the default choice for an entire generation now, but will more dedicated gamers be able to sway their friends' purchasing decisions?

3) Does the wider public care at all about things like Kinect 2.0, media sharing, or TV integration?  I couldn't possibly want those things less -- my first priority with a new XBox One would be to turn them all permanently off -- but then, I don't particularly understand what makes the iPad so popular.  If there really is a demand for these things, "a few more lines of resolution" might be a small price to pay for a box that "does so much more!" than the PS4.

-Autistic Angel
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

I love it when media outlets start reporting on a Reddit rumor thread.

Awesome integrity.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »

Call of Duty is the biggest console franchise in the world, and Microsoft's big sales pitch over the next month will be to ask consumers to wait longer and pay more money to play an inferior version?

That, in a nutshell, is what this is going to come down to. The Xbox One should have handily outsold the PS4...no matter the power difference. This console launch has been absolutely catastrophic for MS. Some will still buy it, no matter the price difference or inferiority (see this thread for evidence of that slywink)....but the vast majority of people are going to say, WTF. I get to pay $100 more for a system that plays the games I like worse than the system that is $100 cheaper!?!?!

The arrogance of Microsoft in thinking they know what everyone wants (the Kinect, DRM etc....) and damnit, they are going to force you to pay for it....will be their downfall this generation.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 27, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »

Since I worked hard to scrounge the money for both of these consoles, I'm going to go ahead and let my preorder of the Xbone ship.     When it arrives, however, I may well have to sit on it for a few days without opening it to let this thing settle and see how it looks.    Sucks because my two biggest game purchases are coming on the Xbone with COD and Dead Rising. 

If there is one thing that Sony dropped the ball on this launch, it's the exclusives at launch.    I know as a PS3 owners that the exclusives will shine on this machine over the long haul, but they are doing a textbook Sony launch with very few exclusive titles to begin with. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: