http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 01:22:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 35102 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2013, 02:56:39 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 24, 2013, 02:08:15 AM

/sigh

[vent]

Visual Concepts rocks the damned house down.    WHY, WHY, WHY NFL?   WHY did you have to give all the marbles to the completely shitty EA and make it impossible for Visual Concepts to do their 2k series for the NFL????

I hope everyone responsible for that decision roasts for eternity in hell.     That is all.

[/vent]

100% agreed!  Looking at nba2k14 and then madden 25 just makes me want to rage....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 24, 2013, 02:09:47 AM

My current plan is to hold off buying any cross-platform titles for the Xbox until everything shakes out, but I'm pretty confident devs will get it ironed out over time just as they did with the PS3.

The infamous CBOAT agrees with you. Well, to a certain extent anyway. Here's the latest from him (translated, since he always garbles what he writes):

Yes. Ripened tools help. Developer familiarity, too. Same thing occurred with PS3 and Cell last time around.

ESRAM is a handicap for now but a workaround will come.

Hardware power is always behind though. Never changing without a complete hardware update. 900-720p will be the norm. The games will be good though, and that's what matters. They'll just struggle more to work on the Xbox One.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »

So if anyone preordered one and doesn't want it, I'm only a hand job and $50 away from my goal?  tear
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

PS4 and Xbone specs almost identical

However, this genius then drops this moronic statement:

"There’s no real difference between them," he explained. "We only need one console. Why do I have to make two versions of a game?

If there was only one console producer in the market with zero competition, can you imagine the cost of the box to the consumers?     Can you imagine the garbage that would be shoved down consumers' throats without the ability to force a company like Microsoft to back peddle as they have these past 6 months?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

He sounds like a bit of a fool. Which makes me question whether what he says is valid.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »

His statements are easily dismissed based on the officially released information about the systems alone. They are not virtually the same after the Xbox One upclock, not on paper, and seemingly not in practice either. This sounds to me like a whining way to appear in gaming news.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 24, 2013, 01:45:25 PM

His statements are easily dismissed based on the officially released information about the systems alone. They are not virtually the same after the Xbox One upclock, not on paper, and seemingly not in practice either. This sounds to me like a whining way to appear in gaming news.

Well let's not get too crazy here.    I can buy two cutting edge computers.   One has a definite clock speed advantage, but the only way you can really tell the difference between the two is to launch a benchmark tool and have it show me numbers letting me know there is a difference.

He's absolutely right that there's no massive difference between the two.   Anyone sitting down to purchase a new computer knows this.    Should I spend $200 more on the 1.7 or save some cash with the 1.5?    Let's go over to the Hardware site.    Oh look... the real world difference between the two is practically unnoticeable.    Let's put that money into the vid card instead and go with the 1.5

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »

b) ...or, based on his experience (and the way his code works) he hasn't seen enough difference for it to warrant the attention.
He DID put out RE6 multi-platform right? 360 vs PS3 is way bigger gap tech-wise than PS4-XB1 (or so we're led to believe).

I think though, the inherent differences in product philosophy are lost on him. You'd think  creator would have more imagination and drive to highlight what else they can do with the game, rather than bitch about the same-ness of the base platform. Would he prefer they be EVEN MORE different to program?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »

I've stopped listening to developer console feedback. They all have their own agendas and I've heard directly conflicting information from separate developers.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Carmack says boxes are essentially the same

He also says Kinect is junk.

"Kinect still has some fundamental limitations with the latency and framerate," said Carmack. "It's fundamentally a poor interaction."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »

That's old news MSD.

As far as his opinions on Kinect, we all know there are latency issues compared to a standard controller. Whether you can live with those is a matter of personal preference. We do know the latency has been improved over the original Kinect, so really that's all that matters.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

Has anything been said about how noisy the fans and disc trays are for each system?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 24, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

Has anything been said about how noisy the fans and disc trays are for each system?
They are supposedly both whisper quiet.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 24, 2013, 03:38:16 PM

Both consoles are very, very quiet according to those who have tested for this. The tests I've seen have been in the menus, but at least one of them tested the PS4 over a period of 60 minutes and compared it to the PS3. It was a huge improvement. The consensus is that you'd have to be very close to either console to be able to hear it.

However, this doesn't mean they'll be quite as good during gameplay. Microsoft has made statements about the Xbox One's ability to cool itself down when it gets too hot by downgrading its own performance temporarily, which has made people speculate about what exactly that means and how it'll impact games. On the other hand, that console's primary fan is huge, which is a good thing as those tend to run pretty silent. The PS4 has several smaller fans, which made people nervous because those tend to generate more noise. On the other hand, their cabinet is built in a way that seems ideally suited to get warm air out of the box with a minimum of effort, and all tests show it as being "inaudible".

In short, we have nothing to fear. These consoles will be quiet. Reading from Blu-Rays will be the primary source of noise.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »

Good!   I remember my 60gb original PS3 (the hardware backward compatible one) was like a jet engine.    I'm ready for consoles that are quiet.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 24, 2013, 04:56:51 PM

Good!   I remember my 60gb original PS3 (the hardware backward compatible one) was like a jet engine.    I'm ready for consoles that are quiet.

I still have that version and I can verify that it is loud. Not as loud as the original 360, but still loud. It will be nice to have quiet consoles for once.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »

if you can hear the sound of the system fan then....

YOU'RE NOT PLAYING YOUR GAMES LOUD ENOUGH!!!!! 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 23, 2013, 08:10:07 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 23, 2013, 08:04:19 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e1KFlyzsDdU

New ad for the PS4.....it's almost here!  smile

That's a nice change of pace for console ads. Typically these companies don't seem to be able to put out ads without having actors pretending to play games while looking like they're half-insane and laughing at anything and everything. This ad had nothing of the sort. It was all about the games, all the time. For people actually looking for a gaming console, this should hit right at home.
That was a damned good commercial! Nothing but games and sexy hardware.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

Xbox`s invitation commercial (was posted on the Xbone thread already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mfIg1I3zE

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

(was posted on the Xbone thread already):

I think he's sad my "massive robot" won't actually interrupt his meetings.

biggrin

* CeeKay hands Purge a bucket

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »

Hey! this thong has Strawberry Shortcake on the front!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

My apologies. That was clearly intended for the other thread.

So yay MS for putting out two commercials that don`t suck. Make it a third and we might have a pattern.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

sorry, I wiped my mouth with it.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 05:02:04 PM

My apologies. That was clearly intended for the other thread.

So yay MS for putting out two commercials that don`t suck. Make it a third and we might have a pattern.

yay commercials!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 25, 2013, 05:02:36 PM

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2013, 05:01:24 PM

sorry, I wiped my mouth with it.

please post these in the "what are you playing with this weekend" thread where they belong

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: October 25, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »

From Reddit:

Jack Frags: I'll be posting Xbox One and PS4 footage - Direct capture 1080p on the 29th October - I'm not allowed to post before then. I have several hours of PS4 multiplayer and the full single player campaign on Xbox One recorded.

Angry_Gnome: It might be too early to ask, but could you notice any significant graphical differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions? Thanks for your videos by the way, I watch them weekly and am excited for your continued BF4 coverage!

Jack Frags: I can't talk specifics until the 29th but I can say that one of the next gen console versions definitely looks better than the other.

Followed by:

And finally I think you guys will be very surprised when you see Xbox One vs PS4 footage!

This is going to end badly no matter the results, and they are definitely completely open. Notice that he says that he's comparing multiplayer on the PS4 with singleplayer on the Xbox One. The result of this "comparison" would, based on that alone, favor the Xbox One. Any other result than "PS4 looks better" will spark a massive flame war since Sony followers will come out in droves to use the "SP always looks better than MP" argument, while Xbox One followers will latch on to this faint little hope as a way to defend their platform of choice from the recent criticism. Only a total "victory" (silly word for this kind of thing, really) for the PS4 here will silence one side in that debate, in my opinion. Any other result will be a new apocalypse in console wars.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2013, 08:22:55 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 25, 2013, 06:48:55 PM

From Reddit:

Jack Frags: I'll be posting Xbox One and PS4 footage - Direct capture 1080p on the 29th October - I'm not allowed to post before then. I have several hours of PS4 multiplayer and the full single player campaign on Xbox One recorded.

Angry_Gnome: It might be too early to ask, but could you notice any significant graphical differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions? Thanks for your videos by the way, I watch them weekly and am excited for your continued BF4 coverage!

Jack Frags: I can't talk specifics until the 29th but I can say that one of the next gen console versions definitely looks better than the other.

Followed by:

And finally I think you guys will be very surprised when you see Xbox One vs PS4 footage!

This is going to end badly no matter the results, and they are definitely completely open. Notice that he says that he's comparing multiplayer on the PS4 with singleplayer on the Xbox One. The result of this "comparison" would, based on that alone, favor the Xbox One. Any other result than "PS4 looks better" will spark a massive flame war since Sony followers will come out in droves to use the "SP always looks better than MP" argument, while Xbox One followers will latch on to this faint little hope as a way to defend their platform of choice from the recent criticism. Only a total "victory" (silly word for this kind of thing, really) for the PS4 here will silence one side in that debate, in my opinion. Any other result will be a new apocalypse in console wars.

Yeah, that will not end well. It could only go one way to be "surprising" though...

The PS4 Multiplayer footage looks better than the XB1 Single Player footage. Imagine the fallout from that....woah....

If the XB1 version looks better than that would hardly be surprising, since it's single player footage vs multiplayer footage.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

Only now do I notice that the quote I posted doesn't seem to mention that it's about Battlefield 4. Sorry about that.

I am curious about that 1080p direct feed thing he mentions though, since rumor has it that BF4 doesn't run at 1080p on either console.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »

I love how you guys are so quick to pre-emptively squash even the *possibility* of the slightest positive news for Xbox One.  thumbsdown
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 25, 2013, 08:43:25 PM

I love how you guys are so quick to pre-emptively squash even the *possibility* of the slightest positive news for Xbox One.  thumbsdown

What? How exactly did we do that? I tried to be neutral in my post.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »

"Faint little hope?"
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:31 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 25, 2013, 08:43:25 PM

Given the footage being single player xb1 and multiplayer for ps4....I don't see how me saying that the only surprising outcome from that would be the ps4 footage looking better. I don't know how it is squashing any positive news for the Xb1. Would you be surprised if the xb1 single player footage looked better than the multiplayer ps4 footage? I certainly wouldn't be at all.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »

Who knows what surprising means without knowing context of who he thinks his audience is for that quote.  Old school 360 folks who all saw Xbox outshine PS3, PS4 would be surprising.  Folks following the CoD 720p rumors, XB1 being better would be surprising, some other nonsense, who knows.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:25 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 25, 2013, 10:50:56 PM

Who knows what surprising means without knowing context of who he thinks his audience is for that quote.  Old school 360 folks who all saw Xbox outshine PS3, PS4 would be surprising.  Folks following the CoD 720p rumors, XB1 being better would be surprising, some other nonsense, who knows.
Exactly this. Who is he talking to? If he's talking to the hardcore then probably all of us are expecting the PS4 version to look better. But is he talking to the casual gamers? They're probably expecting the xbox one to look better.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »

I think the surprise is while the XBone only runs at 30 FPS in 720p and the PS4 runs at 60 FPS at 1080p, the PS4 version is only displayed in black and white while the XBone is in color. I was pretty surprised!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 26, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »

So no takers on the handjob and 50 bucks? Sheesh, tough crowd. And I did all of those hand exercises for nothing!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 25, 2013, 10:19:42 PM

"Faint little hope?"

Yes, faint little hope. I'm referring to the comparison itself, not the consoles. It's a shitty comparison, so any hope people get out of it for their console of choice would be faint at best, yet people will latch onto it nevertheless. It was not criticism of the Xbox One or its fans. You read what you expect to read.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »

Come on TiLT, you've been one of - if not THE most - vocal anti-Xbone voices on the forum. Just because you're attempting some glimmer of neutrality as of late, it doesn't erase the history.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

You realize that an open bias is going to put that out on others, so your very last statement of blaming the reader is ... Misplaced?

There are potentially unexplored advantages to the Xbox ones infrastructure - we have yet to have begun playing on either platform.

If we're going to go on spec, and what games have been shown to deliver, AC4 alone puts the PC as top dog and both consoles to be already inferior.

They should scrap the entire launch. slywink

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on October 26, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

Come on TiLT, you've been one of - if not THE most - vocal anti-Xbone voices on the forum. Just because you're attempting some glimmer of neutrality as of late, it doesn't erase the history.

If you're trying to dig yourself out of the hole you just dug, you're doing a poor job of it. You misinterpreted my post and are trying to pin the blame on me. Come on!

I'm not expecting an apology or anything, but just leave this alone. You're not doing either of us any favors.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 70   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: