http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: It's now 30 days until the next generation begins.   I've noticed a lot of shifting of opinions in the last 30 days back and forth.   Which console are you buying in November?
PS4 - 42 (32.3%)
Xbone - 15 (11.5%)
Both - 13 (10%)
Neither - 19 (14.6%)
Waiting until later - 41 (31.5%)
Total Voters: 130

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2890 Days until launch. Which system are you getting?  (Read 38768 times)
Morgul
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: February 14, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »

Most of my sons friends had xbox 360s and played multiplayer with each other.  They almost all went PS4 this time.

I told him I was thinking about getting a xbone so we would have both.   He said if you are going to buy another console, get a 2nd PS4 so we can play together at the same time.   He has no interest in the xbone.   Yea, he is a spoiled brat.   Just letting you know why the ps4 sales have not surprised me.  I just watch the teens.

I am putting together a gaming PC so titan fall should be covered.   I am still watching the xbone though, because I think I want one.   For gears of war, if nothing else.   Plus, buy one now and get 8 years of solid gaming...   Why not?        
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: February 14, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »

I'll continue  to say it MS's hubris cost them this gen just like it initially cost Sony last gen.  Sony certainly learned from that and I can only hope MS learns the same lesson.  Don't take your player base for granted.  We gamers are a picky punch

Btw, I really want a PS Vita... I just can't justify the cost and I'm afraid that I'll buy it and hardly play it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: February 14, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on February 14, 2014, 02:19:30 PM

I'll continue  to say it MS's hubris cost them this gen just like it initially cost Sony last gen.  Sony certainly learned from that and I can only hope MS learns the same lesson.  Don't take your player base for granted.  We gamers are a picky punch

Btw, I really want a PS Vita... I just can't justify the cost and I'm afraid that I'll buy it and hardly play it

There may not be a next time, outside of the generic consoles are doomed talk, Microsoft's investors have been pushing for them to dump Xbox for a long time now, and that was when it was doing well! If it under-performs they are going to get really noisy.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: February 14, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »

Ditto.  I love the idea of the vita...but my psp has been replaced by the iPad in all things gaming and I fear that the same would happen with the vita. 

To be honest, I've absolutely no desire to upgrade to either the ps4 or the xbox one.  Usually I get the urge to do so a week or two after the release of a new console, but neither of these entries has even piqued my interest. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: February 14, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 14, 2014, 03:44:10 PM

Ditto.  I love the idea of the vita...but my psp has been replaced by the iPad in all things gaming and I fear that the same would happen with the vita. 

I ended up selling mine last month because I simply never used it.  It's such a cool system, but has so few games that are worth a crap. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: February 14, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

Just like the PS3 was my blu-ray player with a sweet bonus of playing PS3 exclusives, when I get a Vita it will be my PS4 remote play device with a sweet bonus of playing Vita exclusives.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »

I've had a Vita for about 2 months and in that time, I've played the following:

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate - best version of it until the recent port to console/gen. a solid metroid-vania melded with batman AA's gameplay. 
Uncharted Golden Abyss - Exclusive.  great version on its own of a console series. 
Guacamelee - perfect version of console/pc game with added benefit of cross-buy/save so I can go between PS3 and Vita.  looks/plays great
Killzone Mercs - Exclusive.  I have enjoyed this more than KZ SF, graphics notwithstanding. 
Tearaway - Exclusive. If you liked LBP and Media Molecule's sense of artistic direction, you'll probably enjoy this one too. 
Gravity Rush - Exclusive.  Put on back burner after getting Uncharted, but seems to be held in high regard.
Lumines - Exclusive.  one of the better puzzle games around, imo.
Rayman Origins.  perfect version of game and looks amazing on the Vita.
Sly Cooper:  Thieves in Time - Cross-buy/save with PS3.  load times are longer, but the game plays great. 

I'd list more, but tbh, I've had more gaming time with it than any of the consoles, although AC IV comes close.  I have 9 other games just via the PS+ sub that I haven't even mentioned, plus another 6 that I bought cheap through Sony's sales.  It also does well with remote play.  Used it a few times and it's a good alternative for playing SP games.  I'd probably steer clear of MP via remote play though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »

I should rephrase my last comment:  It's such a cool system, but has so few games that are worth a crap to me.  I know lots of others who are thoroughly enjoying the system. 

Unfortunately, as an action-averse gamer there aren't many options for RPGs or slower-paced games.  I was hoping it would become a bastion for quality JRPG's like the PSP, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  There's a few, but not many.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: February 14, 2014, 05:45:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 14, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

I should rephrase my last comment:  It's such a cool system, but has so few games that are worth a crap to me.  I know lots of others who are thoroughly enjoying the system. 

Unfortunately, as an action-averse gamer there aren't many options for RPGs or slower-paced games.  I was hoping it would become a bastion for quality JRPG's like the PSP, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  There's a few, but not many.
I didn't mention those ones, but it seems to have a decent selection, even though it isn't as robust as the 3DS.  It's not my genre of choice though.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: February 15, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

Tilt, stop being such an Xbox One apologist.
*edit* Oops I guess I should have quoted his post. I thought I was on the last page. Now I just look silly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:42:39 PM by Canuck » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2770 on: February 15, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 15, 2014, 12:41:06 PM

Tilt, stop being such an Xbox One apologist.
*edit* Oops I guess I should have quoted his post. I thought I was on the last page. Now I just look silly.

Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: February 24, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »

Huh.  Xbox price drop already?  Sort of?

The Titanfall Xbox bundle is going to just be a regular Xbox with codes included for a Titanfall download and a month of Live (no Titanfall branded controller).  According to the article, the bundle is priced at $500, which means if you were already going to buy Titanfall the Xbox only cost you $440.

On top of that, the Xbox price in the UK drops from £429.99 to £399.99 on Feb 28.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »

Its probably the only thing they could do, in order to remain somewhat competitive.

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: February 24, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »

So, looks like I'll be picking up a PS4 this month after all. I've got the money, they're in stock everywhere around here, and even though there aren't any games I'm really excited about right now, at least this will put me in the position to pick up any better performing cross-platform titles coming up.

Ordinarily I'd wait (particularly with Titanfall right around the corner), but honestly I'm just ready for the peace of mind knowing I can play any fucking thing I want to like a grown ass man.  icon_lol
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on February 24, 2014, 06:28:11 PM

So, looks like I'll be picking up a PS4 this month after all. I've got the money, they're in stock everywhere around here, and even though there aren't any games I'm really excited about right now, at least this will put me in the position to pick up any better performing cross-platform titles coming up.

Ordinarily I'd wait (particularly with Titanfall right around the corner), but honestly I'm just ready for the peace of mind knowing I can play any fucking thing I want to like a grown ass man.  icon_lol

Oh sweet, so you got an Oculus Rift dev kit?  icon_wink
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: February 24, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

I'm not even that interested in Oculus Rift (or any VR for that matter). My wife doesn't like me staring at a screen as much as I do now, God forbid I wear one on my head.

I would love a 3DS though <grumble grumble>.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »

I want to like a grown ass man.  icon_lol

I admire your reaching for your goals.  I hope your ass grows.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 25, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »

Still not feeling it with either console, so I don't see myself getting one any time soon.  I guess I'm one of the very few minority that bought a Wii-U instead.  Don't really get all the hate for it, big hit with the family in my house.  Super Mario 3D World has now dethroned the original SNES as my all time favorite Mario game ever.  Can't wait to pick up the new Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.  Hopefully Nintendo will get off their dead asses and announce a new Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Metroid.  Why these titles didn't ship at launch, and why we are over a year later with no announcement is beyond me.  Even still, lots of other good stuff I'd like to pick up like Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 4, and X whenever it gets released.

I'm not exactly sure why I can't get excited about the other two.  I think it's because I've seen this so many times before that I'm just burnt out on it.  I think this will be the first generation that I don't own the new console by Sony, Microsoft, or both.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:48 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 24, 2014, 07:39:14 PM

I want to like a grown ass man.  icon_lol

I admire your reaching for your goals.  I hope your ass grows.

Big-Ass Yellowking. Coming. Fall 2014.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 25, 2014, 02:53:20 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on February 25, 2014, 01:49:29 AM

Still not feeling it with either console, so I don't see myself getting one any time soon.  I guess I'm one of the very few minority that bought a Wii-U instead.  Don't really get all the hate for it, big hit with the family in my house.  Super Mario 3D World has now dethroned the original SNES as my all time favorite Mario game ever.  Can't wait to pick up the new Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.  Hopefully Nintendo will get off their dead asses and announce a new Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Metroid.  Why these titles didn't ship at launch, and why we are over a year later with no announcement is beyond me.  Even still, lots of other good stuff I'd like to pick up like Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 4, and X whenever it gets released.

I'm not exactly sure why I can't get excited about the other two.  I think it's because I've seen this so many times before that I'm just burnt out on it.  I think this will be the first generation that I don't own the new console by Sony, Microsoft, or both.

I took the liberty to highlight the reasons why I, and most of the gamer population, won't pick up the WiiU.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on February 25, 2014, 02:53:20 AM

Quote from: Glycerine on February 25, 2014, 01:49:29 AM

I took the liberty to highlight the reasons why I, and most of the gamer population, won't pick up the WiiU.
funny, as this here is the reason I don't have the wiiu on my list to buy.  these games are pretty much all that I associate with Nintendo.  why has the developer who was so capable of creating new and interesting games 20+ years ago been unable to create any new games instead of just recycling the same old formulaic retreads?  If Sony had stuck to this pattern, we'd be on our 15th iteration of crash bandicoot.  Yes, Nintendo, we want sequels to our favorite games.  we also want new games to look forward to, not just sequels. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: February 25, 2014, 03:21:21 AM »

I think if Nintendo went to an all-software company, they might be able to get away with trying to make some new IP, but the only way they're going to move systems is to have Mario, Zelda, DK, Metroid, etc.  Even that isn't working for them so much anymore.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »

Yeah, no doubt that Nintendo really screwed the pooch with this launch.  I don't regret my purchase, and I still don't see myself getting either of the others any time soon.  I was leaning towards a PS4 when my PS3 dies, but since there is no backward compatability I probably will just get another PS3.  I honestly think it's because I have yet to see a single exclusive game for either console that I give a shit about.  Plus I have a pretty decent gaming rig, which definitely helps.  The Wii-U, on the other hand, has all the games both I and my family love and want to play.  I just couldn't justify it to myself to spend that much money for something that I really don't even use that much now.  I could easily buy both, but for what?  So they sit and collect dust?  The Wii-U gets pretty much daily use around here, PS3 is mainly for blu-rays and Netflix (with an occasional game played every once in awhile), 360 gets turned on maybe once or twice a week.  For my family, it really was a no brainer.  For other people that game online daily, are really excited about the exclusives, I can definitely understand going PS4 or XBOne instead.  All it will take for me is one game I have to play that I can't get on PC, then I'll pick one up.  Haven't seen or heard about anything as of yet though.

Interesting point about Nintendo needing to innovate more.  I was just thinking, when was the last totally original IP they came up with?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: February 25, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on February 25, 2014, 11:33:01 AM

Interesting point about Nintendo needing to innovate more.  I was just thinking, when was the last totally original IP they came up with?

Wii Music.

Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2014, 02:00:05 PM

Wii Music.

Yep, that sounds about right.  smile

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »

PS4 did 322k over the weekend for the Japan launch.  Seems decent but not amazing. 

Here's how it compares to other console launches there

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: February 25, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on February 25, 2014, 02:08:20 PM

Wii Music.

Yeah, I guess if you don't count Nintendoland, which are minigames with old IP themes, that's probably true.  Wii Party might be another one as well.  Again, more minigames.  Other than that type of game, though, Wii Music would have to be it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2014, 03:49:34 PM

Quote from: Glycerine on February 25, 2014, 02:08:20 PM

Wii Music.

Yeah, I guess if you don't count Nintendoland, which are minigames with old IP themes, that's probably true.  Wii Party might be another one as well.  Again, more minigames.  Other than that type of game, though, Wii Music would have to be it.
ouch. and that one failed pretty hard, right?

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 25, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on February 25, 2014, 03:36:16 PM

PS4 did 322k over the weekend for the Japan launch.  Seems decent but not amazing. 

Here's how it compares to other console launches there

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

Not unexpected considering how the Japanese home console market has shrunk over there.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2789 on: February 25, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

Guys, why are you talking as if the PS4 sold poorly in Japan these last few days? It sold out all available stock (AFAIK), and did almost as well as the Wii did when it was released. It's unreasonable to compare to the anomaly that was the PS2. Those were different times and a different market, particularly in Japan.

While it may not have been unexpected, the PS4 did tremendously well at the Japanese launch.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: February 25, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 25, 2014, 07:01:29 PM

While it may not have been unexpected, the PS4 did tremendously well at the Japanese launch.

Hence the reason they were in no rush for the home market which is a very smart move by Sony.  Their strategy is paying off

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »

Yeah it basically outsold all the other releases except for the PS2 and Wii. That's not bad company to be with.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 27, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »

One of these things is not like the others

*this might just be an IGN settings screwup, but black crush on the XB1 has been pretty widely reported previously.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:03:22 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »

There's a supposed fix for the crushed blacks coming just as they fixed the sharpening filter. No ETA. I'm confident they'll get it ironed out. I haven't really noticed it that much in games though (I imagine Thief would be a good example though). At any rate the only crushing I'm worried about is crushing people's asses with my Titan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:26:04 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on February 27, 2014, 03:10:00 PM

At any rate the only crushing I'm worried about is crushing people's asses with my Titan.

And here I thought the Xbox One was the more family friendly console.  eek Be loud, be proud my brother.  icon_lol

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 27, 2014, 06:30:26 PM »

If you want family, go kill some plants and zombies.  slywink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »

Well I had a moment of weakness when I saw some PS4s in stock at Target, and I joined the Own 'Em Both Club.

Overall, the PS4's form and UI are really impressive compared to the XB1.  Aesthetics are subjective and all, but its slim look and minimalist front make it look more modern than the XB1.  How the hell did Sony fit everything in there?  Internal power supply, too? 

Before I bought either console, I thought I preferred the feel of the PS4 controller.  It does still feel more comfortable in my hands than the XB1 controller, but when I went to play my first game I found I missed the feel of the XB1's analog sticks.  I think they got the resistance better on the XB1.  I had been concerned about the glowy light on the PS4 controller, but the way it's angled I can hardly even notice it. 

The PS4 UI is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the XB1 UI.  I haven't had a single head-scratching moment of struggle trying to find something on the PS4.  (Though it did take me a minute to figure out where the power button was on the system.)

So while my first impressions in general lean way toward preferring the PS4, the PS4 does fall flat in one gigantic way.  No Harmony remote support?!?!  Are you kidding me?!  I told The Wife she should try playing blu-rays on the PS4 to see if she prefers it to the XB1 for that, but this sure makes the decision easy.

Have they said they'll patch this in soon?  It just boggles my mind that they would learn from so many of their PS3 mistakes but go ahead and repeat this one.

Oh, and as for what drove me to finally buy one (other than a weak will), Infamous was the second to last straw.  It was the first PS4 exclusive I really wanted to get my hands on.  Oh, and I guess the third to last straw was seeing that Sony really meant it with their promise of indie support.  And now that I think about it, fourth to last straw would be PSN+ and how its consistently offering free games I'm actually interested in.

But the last straw, surprising to me, was the small graphics superiority the PS4 has over the XB1 for cross-platform.  I enjoyed Black Flag on the XB1 despite knowing there was a better looking PS4 version out there, but as I geared up to buy Watch Dogs I found myself more annoyed than I expected to be at the XB1 shortcomings in side-by-side comparisons. 

I'm not at the point of regretting I bought the XB1, though.  I had a blast with Titanfall and I'll probably hop back in if they ever have DLC that adds more mechs instead of just more maps.  I don't even regret getting a Kinect version of the XB1, at least, not yet.  If another year goes by and there's still no Kinect game I can play with my 4-year-old?  The regret may come then.

Last gen the Xbox was my platform for games while the PS was my blu-ray player and Sony exclusive player, and now they seem to have swapped roles.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: June 02, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

Yay, now I might have someone to play fighting games against on the PS4 (if/when they ever come out)

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 02, 2014, 03:31:48 PM

Yay, now I might have someone to play fighting games against on the PS4 (if/when they ever come out)

It's going to take me a while to stop shaking my tiny fist in the air about how my 360 arcade stick I customized is now obsolete.  If I were in charge of the universe, Ultra Street Fighter IV would be downloadable on XB1/PS4, and my old stick would work on it.   Truthiness!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

Nice write up Duncan.

I honestly cannot think of any game that I would so have to have that it would make me buy a PS4.  Not because I'm anti PS4, but there would have to be something to make me get it.

Last gen it was MGS4 (which was totally worth it)...but since I consider that story over, even if MGS5 was PS4 exclusive, i don't know that'd I'd bite.

This gen, perhaps Last of Us 2...but probably not.

Now if ME4 was PS4 only...that might do it.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: