http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:15:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Red Rings to round out my week  (Read 8281 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:11:56 AM »

This week has been bad enough but I was greeted by 3 red rings from my Xbox 360 this evening.  Microsoft support said that they won't be covering it so I'll be escalating to a manager to see what can be done...

Three rings....of QUALITY!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:37:26 AM »

2-3 weeks but it will be covered.  At least there is that good news...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:15 AM »

I have been really nervous about buying a 360 because of the issues everyone has had.  I would really like to pick one up to be a companion to my PS3.  Has anyone heard if the new elite edition has had similar issues.

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:53 AM »

Unless you're like me and 3 weeks later still waiting on a coffin that comes with a return label so I can actually, you know, send it in for repairs... I've called twice to have this fixed and was assured both times that I would have a new label, and then a new coffin, and still nothing. Going to call tomorrow. I think I may just sell the refurbished machine or whatever the hell they send me back. I am pretty sick of this crap, and frankly I don't think consumers should have to deal with this.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:17:34 AM »

I agree. Does anyone know if some company has polling data on 360 failure rates? It has to be far higher than Microsoft will cop to and considering how frequently they're failing on these boards it's ridiculous. No consumer electronic product should be this crash-prone unless there was a fatal design flaw that was somehow miraculously overlooked in Q&A. I snicker that Microsoft's answer in the Elite was more glue because that always works. retard

Sorry to hear about your loss, Ron. My sympathies.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:20:44 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 07, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

2-3 weeks but it will be covered.  At least there is that good news...

You may want to remind them that it'll be impossible to review any fine 360 titles for the next month or so.....

not that anything is coming out....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

Mine crapped out May 14, and I just got it back 4 days ago.  So total turn around time was around 3 weeks. It wasn't my unit though, it was someone elses that I got back.  The 'kiss-up' letter they sent with it said they did this to minimize delay.  Whatever, as long as it works right.  But - I'm pissed that now I have to be online to play my downloaded content.  Apparently you can call MS and get a workaround for this but it's a major PITA. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 02:44:42 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 07, 2007, 02:17:34 AM

Does anyone know if some company has polling data on 360 failure rates? It has to be far higher than Microsoft will cop to and considering how frequently they're failing on these boards it's ridiculous. No consumer electronic product should be this crash-prone unless there was a fatal design flaw that was somehow miraculously overlooked in Q&A.

the british press is beginning to ask about this, but the total silence in the media here on the subject continues to be (miraculously?) deafening...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:46:41 AM »

My refurbished/repaired 360 gave me it's first DDE today.  LOVELY.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 02:48:47 AM »

Quote from: Interloper on June 07, 2007, 02:39:04 AM

Apparently you can call MS and get a workaround for this but it's a major PITA. 

Basically, Microsoft refunds the points which you used in buying the games. At that point, you must spend them on getting the exact same things again. Yes, PITA.

And IMHO - the failure rate on the 360s are MUCH higher than what Microsoft is letting out. It's failing like the early PS2 models did, except it's only taking 6 months to die instead of a year or two (and even then that could be fixed by opening the console up most of the time).

And the current Elite models are slightly better than the current 'normal' 360s. Just a lot more goop on the motherboards to prevent chips from yanking out during heat generation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 02:49:45 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2007, 02:46:41 AM

gellar

The stink of class action lawsuit will set in soon methinks.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 03:12:04 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 07, 2007, 02:49:45 AM

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2007, 02:46:41 AM

gellar

The stink of class action lawsuit will set in soon methinks.

That'll be great, we all get $10 off coupons for future XBox 360 game purchases, and lawyers get a big payday for our grief. Frankly, unless a class action lawsuit can garner me back a major percentage of my investment, say 40% or so, I don't want to hear anything about it.

Instead I will just choose to vote with my wallet. I won't buy a new 360 game ever. I'll buy from people here, I'll buy a used copy on Ebay, I'll avoid buying 360 games period. I won't support Xbox Live, I won't purchase points or Arcade games, and I won't give up $50 a year to be a part of the service.  To hell with them, I would even wager that the PS2 was more stable at the same point in it's lifetime.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:46 AM »

Quote from: Blonco on June 07, 2007, 01:23:15 AM

I have been really nervous about buying a 360 because of the issues everyone has had.  I would really like to pick one up to be a companion to my PS3.  Has anyone heard if the new elite edition has had similar issues.

Personally, I'd wait til the expected 65nm processor revision this fall

Ruining language with my terrible words.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:30 AM »

Yeah I have a similar thought to Tebunker's.  I got my 360 replaced for free... if/when I ever have to pay for a replacement, it simply isn't going to happen.  There aren't enough exclusives to make me miss it, and I have my PS3 for 95% of the games released anyway.  I'll buy every cross platform title for my PS3 vs the 360.

Basically, MS' extreme failure rates have caused me to flip my console of choice.  Whereas before I'd buy most every cross platform title on the 360 (for the larger MP installed base, as it is the GT/BC console of choice), I've now decided that the 360 is just too much of a piece of shit to be counted on to last for very long.  PS3 is my primary console - 360 is only used for exclusives.

gellar
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:27 AM »

Don't feel bad, I lost my 5th 360 yesterday.  No red rings, but it would make a grinding sound everytime I put a disc in and then I would get an error message saying it could not be read.  Thank God for warranties.  tear
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »

Quote from: gellar on June 07, 2007, 03:37:30 AM

Basically, MS' extreme failure rates have caused me to flip my console of choice.  Whereas before I'd buy most every cross platform title on the 360 (for the larger MP installed base, as it is the GT/BC console of choice), I've now decided that the 360 is just too much of a piece of shit to be counted on to last for very long.  PS3 is my primary console - 360 is only used for exclusives.

Exactly how I feel.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:37 AM »

sorry to hear about your loss KD....i have never had the 3 rings of death,but my disc tray did break down....took about a week to come back to me,not sure if its the same with the 3 rings(UPS delivery)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »

Ron, Im currently using my 6th. in the 20 years I have owned consoles.. I never replaced ONE. so far of my friends who have 360's about 50% of them have sent their console in for repair. All for different reasons. My 5 360's all failed for different reasons. DVD tray stopped working, wouldnt turn on with the remote, locking up all the time, my last one glitched out all over the place... I dont even remember what was wrong with each one. Worst made console in history. I still love that damned console, its why I keep going to get new ones.... Im sure this one will fail eventually, I friend of mine, keeps launch console up all the time as a media server... He laughs at me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »

Has it really only been 3 months since my original 360 died? Wow, seems like a life time ago.

I'm gonna ride the 360 train until the end. It has its hooks in me bad so...I guess I'm a sucka, but I'll keep returning it if it keeps breaking.  I bought the extended warranty so I'm covered until 2009.

I. I. can't be without it.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »

I understand the frustration of Gellar and TML, although frankly I think the attitude it quite drama-queeny at the same time-but still, I understand the frustration. At the same time, I love the 360. For me, there are more than enough exclusives that make the 360 my console of choice, even as a PS3 owner-I will probably buy the occasional Multiplatform game on PS3 and the exclusives, but I love love love the 360 exclusives, Live, the interface, the marketplace, etc-If it breaks, I will get an elite or the new model next year-it will suck, but I am sure I will find a way so that it doesn't cost an absurd amount. No sense throwing a temper trantrum, I will just find a way around it (and yes, I have already replaced the console once).
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

I'll be honest, despite being on my 4th 360, if it dies again, I'll have it repaired/replaced.  The PS3 has nothing that interests me for the near future, and until its price drops below 400 dollars I am very unlikely to buy one.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »

It's a royal pain in the ass - that's for sure.  If I wanted to play games on a possibly glitchy, potentially unreliable system I'd invest more in my PC.

I think it would be interesting if Ron kept a running update on the front page about his dead 360 and how the repair process goes for him.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

Thanks for the reminder to get my warranty extended.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

I recently got a disk unreadable error with Forza 2.  The last time I got a disk unreadable error was right before my 360 died.  I don't know whether to be worried or exchange Forza 2 or what.  It only happened once, but sometimes the music skips.

In other news, I still haven't got my refund for my repair back in October.

Unfortunately, I love my 360.  I've practically given up using my PC for gaming.  I love Live and I love the MP.  So I'm kind of stuck.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 07, 2007, 01:22:40 PM

It's a royal pain in the ass - that's for sure.  If I wanted to play games on a possibly glitchy, potentially unreliable system I'd invest more in my PC.

Very funny!!  icon_smile
I think it would be interesting if Ron kept a running update on the front page about his dead 360 and how the repair process goes for him.

I think it would definitely be a benefit to Ron to do this. I am sure if anyone from Microsoft runs into his updates, it might help him get his repairs sped up.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 07, 2007, 01:47:13 PM

I recently got a disk unreadable error with Forza 2.  The last time I got a disk unreadable error was right before my 360 died.  I don't know whether to be worried or exchange Forza 2 or what.  It only happened once, but sometimes the music skips.

In other news, I still haven't got my refund for my repair back in October.

Unfortunately, I love my 360.  I've practically given up using my PC for gaming.  I love Live and I love the MP.  So I'm kind of stuck.

Totally regret blowing almost a grand upgrading my computer. Totally. yes, I use my PC constantly-all the frigging time all day long. yes, there are many games coming out on it that I want. But I am just addicted to the consoles right now. Kinda want an Elite 360 though smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 07, 2007, 01:47:13 PM

I recently got a disk unreadable error with Forza 2.  The last time I got a disk unreadable error was right before my 360 died.  I don't know whether to be worried or exchange Forza 2 or what.  It only happened once, but sometimes the music skips.

That's happened to me twice while playing GH2.  Thankfully, a simple reboot fixed it both times.  Makes me damn nervous, though.   paranoid

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »

Quote from: JCC on June 07, 2007, 01:48:19 PM

I think it would definitely be a benefit to Ron to do this. I am sure if anyone from Microsoft runs into his updates, it might help him get his repairs sped up.

We could come up with a name for it:

'360 in Crisis!'
'Catastrophe at the Burkes!'
'RRoD Watch 2007'

and add Day 1, Day 2, etc.  Once everything is finished we can book Ron with Barbara Walters so he can cry about his time of crisis.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 07, 2007, 03:21:46 AM

Quote from: Blonco on June 07, 2007, 01:23:15 AM

Personally, I'd wait til the expected 65nm processor revision this fall

Which is what I'm doing, but the more and more I hear of the significant failure rate the less confident I am that the 65nm SKU will be any better. I'm definitely not buying one until there's a price drop so that I can use the savings to buy a 3 year replacement warranty.  paranoid
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »

I think this is a fantastic idea. Maybe it'll even push Microsoft into getting it fixed just a bit faster. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 03:05:44 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 07, 2007, 03:03:08 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. Maybe it'll even push Microsoft into getting it fixed just a bit faster. biggrin

Hey Ron took on Starforce in the past.  Why not Microsoft?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »

I just replaced my first 360 a couple weeks ago.  It started freezing up on me and it just got worse and worse until eventually it was freezing up during boot.

Fortunately, I had the best buy 2 year replacement plan.  Unfortunately, it cost me another 60 bucks to get a new 2 year replacement plan.

However, if this 360 breaks I'm seriously thinking of selling all my xbox games and going over to a PS3.  Perhaps if Microsoft starts losing noticeable numbers of customers to Sony due to the crappy failure rate on the 360 and their inability to provide a meaningful solution, things may change.

...although i doubt it.   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 03:50:44 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 07, 2007, 03:05:44 PM

Cuz Starforce only had gibbering idiots on-staff; MS hires flying sniper-ninjas to take out pirates... I'm sure they could redirect them to Ron's house.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2007, 03:50:44 PM

Cuz Starforce only had gibbering idiots on-staff; MS hires flying sniper-ninjas to take out pirates... I'm sure they could redirect them to Ron's house.

Who do you think broke into his car?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 04:45:33 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 07, 2007, 01:05:45 PM

I understand the frustration of Gellar and TML, although frankly I think the attitude it quite drama-queeny at the same time-but still, I understand the frustration. At the same time, I love the 360. For me, there are more than enough exclusives that make the 360 my console of choice, even as a PS3 owner-I will probably buy the occasional Multiplatform game on PS3 and the exclusives, but I love love love the 360 exclusives, Live, the interface, the marketplace, etc-If it breaks, I will get an elite or the new model next year-it will suck, but I am sure I will find a way so that it doesn't cost an absurd amount. No sense throwing a temper trantrum, I will just find a way around it (and yes, I have already replaced the console once).

I dunno if it's drama so much as it is being pragmatic.  There are *definitely* games on the 360 I want to play.  I'd prefer my 360 last longer.  I'm almost certain that the life of your 360 is largely dependent on how much heat it generates and how much you actually play it.  Thus, I want to minimize it's time on so I can still enjoy the half dozen or so exclusives on it.  The advantages of Live for cross platform titles are outweighed by the device being a piece of crap.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 04:48:07 PM »

Has anyone actually decided "to hell with the warranty" and cracked open a broken 360 to see if they could fix it themselves? I know this would likely constitute "modding" the box, but I'm curious if anyone has actually made the attempt to see what the problem is.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 05:00:36 PM »

I dunno if it's drama so much as it is being pragmatic.  There are *definitely* games on the 360 I want to play.  I'd prefer my 360 last longer.  I'm almost certain that the life of your 360 is largely dependent on how much heat it generates and how much you actually play it.  Thus, I want to minimize it's time on so I can still enjoy the half dozen or so exclusives on it.  The advantages of Live for cross platform titles are outweighed by the device being a piece of crap.
I kind of agree with this, but I've always figured when the 360 dies for me and isn't replaced free, then I'm done with it.  I don't want to pay extra for something that should be dependable for 5-10 years.

The more I play my PS3, the more I like it, and the less I like my 360.  I like the fact that the PS3 is virtually quiet, and that I don't hear the sound of it over the sound of the engines.  I also stress out everytime my 360 makes an odd noise, or sounds to loud.  I haven't wanted to admit it, but the PS3 really is a better console.  The 360's software is better now, and has more games, but the PS3 so far just is a better designed system.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »

I'm on my 3rd Xbox 360. Fortunately, it was bought from Costco so replacements have been free. I'm under no illusions that my current one will last forever, but I'm just hoping it lives long enough so that my next replacement is one of the new units coming out in the fall with the more efficient chip. If that's not out yet, I may pay the difference to get an Elite, even though I personally have no use for the HDMI outlet or the larger HD.

I'd like to say "fuck it" and not have a 360 at all, but aside from the failure rate, it happens to be my favorite console ever. I'm like a man who sticks with a harpy of a woman just because the sex is so good.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:25:22 PM by Captain Caveman » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 05:47:05 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on June 07, 2007, 05:23:08 PM

I'm on my 3rd Xbox 360. Fortunately, it was bought from Costco so replacements have been free. I'm under no illusions that my current one will last forever, but I'm just hoping it lives long enough so that my next replacement is one of the new units coming out in the fall with the more efficient chip. If that's not out yet, I may pay the difference to get an Elite, even though I personally have no use for the HDMI outlet or the larger HD.

I'd like to say "fuck it" and not have a 360 at all, but aside from the failure rate, it happens to be my favorite console ever. I'm like a man who sticks with a harpy of a woman just because the sex is so good.

Whats the trade in value on the premium now? If mine ever starts to die thats exactly what I am going to do as well-so far its fine though.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 07, 2007, 04:29:00 PM

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2007, 03:50:44 PM

Who do you think broke into his car?

ROFL

Damn you Microsoft flying super-ninjas! Damn you all to hell! biggrin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: