http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 more days til HALO wars demo  (Read 1708 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »

Anyone excited about this one then? RTS on console still feels a bit so so for me but with
End War(demo at least) it seems they are finally on to something. I have no idea whether HALO Wars
follows the classic RTS formula or tries something new though.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »

i had Lord of the rings Battle for Middle Earth for the 360,it took a while to get used to the controls,but once you had them they were great...apparently they have put a lot of work into making the controls for Halo wars feel natural on the 360

i didnt try the demo/game for End War(i didnt even know that was an RTS),but i will certainly be downloading the Halo wars demo

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »

I'm interested in this game as well and will definitely be downloading the demo. If the demo doesn't float my ship I'll probably just get TC's End War which I enjoyed the demo for.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

Anyone get this yet?

I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get home from work this evening.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 05, 2009, 01:53:01 PM

Anyone get this yet?

I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get home from work this evening.

I'm downloading it now.  1.4 GB and slow going for 9 AM.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »

Is the demo single- or multiplayer?

I hope it is both.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 05, 2009, 03:46:36 PM

Is the demo single- or multiplayer?

I hope it is both.

I have heard that it is the first two missions of the campaign and one skirmish map against the AI only.  No online multiplayer.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »

I saw MP listed, but I didn't try it.

Some ramblings:

I played the tutorials, the first mission and most of the second mission (don't eject whatever's in your DVD drive or it'll kick you right out, annoyingly).  It's fun, but about what I expected.  From the tutorials, it looks like there are some cool differences between the Marines and Covenant, but I couldn't tell how much.

This is certainly a viable console RTS.  I'm just not sure how into RTS gameplay I am anymore.  I felt like I was going through the motions more then once.

The supply/power stuff is structured nicely and units build quickly, which helps speed up gameplay. 

There seems to be no real grouping option.  You either select individual unit types, local units or all units (you can also jump to scattered armies by pressing down on the d-pad).  That's fine for me, since I normally focus on one group (and maybe one at the base for defense), but I imagine it won't make most RTS gamers happy.

There are a lot of sub-objectives, it seems (the second map had at least four that I can think of, and many of those had a few instances to accomplish).  That helps to keep active as you can check things off as you explore the map, and it definitely added to the playtime.  I'm not able to get excited about maps that take more than an hour anymore, though (I certainly am not excited about going back in and replaying that second mission after getting kicked out). 

The cutscenes were quality, and there seems to be a specific story going on (as opposed to hopping around to various battles in a war).  That may be enough to compel me, if I hear the story is good.

The graphics were nice enough.  Smooth, but nothing dazzling.

I'm on the fence and will wait for revs/imps, but while I was a little bored, it may be just entertaining enough.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

i will prolly download this and the killzone 2 demo this weekend

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:33:40 PM »

Any update on the multiplayer option. Did it work or was it just some placeholder?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 05, 2009, 09:33:40 PM

Any update on the multiplayer option. Did it work or was it just some placeholder?

Skirmish vs AI only in the demo.

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

Well, at least you are given a fair view on the system. But doing a multiplayer only beta like DOW2 would have been
better in my opinion.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 05, 2009, 09:52:32 PM

Well, at least you are given a fair view on the system. But doing a multiplayer only beta like DOW2 would have been
better in my opinion.

There was a multiplayer closed beta a few months back.

No open beta though.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »

I played the demo today as I have not played an RTS since the Kohan days

Seems like a nice compromise between game management and play.
The controls were pretty simple to use and the selection wheel works well.

The tough thing with RTS demos is that you don't really see how the game plays when things are full bore and ramped up.
I have played many RTS that I liked initially, but then hated later on, Earth 2150 is a good example.

I will say the demo peaked my interest though

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »

The campaign is great though. The story videos rival the best of the C&C series.
I was surprised how easy it was to control your men and navigate, even easier than with mouse
in some ways.

I am just wondering how they intend to support this series when they closed down the studio.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

It is certainly a simplified game compared to LOTR, C&C and some of the other console based RTS's.  No grouping, small unit counts, fixed base locations and size limits, etc.

I think they may have dumbed it down a little too much for the game to have long term legs.  But they were clearly aiming at people who play Halo 3 instead of people who play LOTR/C&C.

Considering the relative size of the two audiences they probably made the right choice.

A big part of the learning curve with any RTS is getting to know the units.  With Halo Wars that won't be much of an issue for most people.

If any game has a chance to jumpstart RTS's on consoles, this is probably it.

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »

Well, Dawn of War 2 seems to have gone the same route so maybe this is a trend slywink.

I like the focus on small groups, I never thought the zillions of units looked very realistic anyway.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 06, 2009, 01:53:40 PM

Well, Dawn of War 2 seems to have gone the same route so maybe this is a trend slywink.

I like the focus on small groups, I never thought the zillions of units looked very realistic anyway.

From what I have seen of Dawn of War 2 it is extremely micro heavy.  Halo Wars has low unit counts plus limited micro. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:57:58 PM by denoginizer » Logged

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »

Do you see that as a positive then? With a controller I think it could be hard to do that.

Still, I think this game has a lot going for it, at least for a lower price.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »

Given the current state of RTS on consoles I see it as a positive.  I think people will play the demo because it's Halo and not be overwhelmed by the complexity.  My wife is a huge Tolkien fan.  But there is no way I would even consider getting her to play the LOTR RTS with me on the 360.  But I think she could probably play Halo Wars co-op if only she gave a rat's ass about the Halo universe.   icon_biggrin

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 04:02:41 AM »

Demo was very nice.  I will wait for a price drop/sale though before I pick up the full game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »

i downlaoded this,(which took ages compared to the 1.2 gig of Killzone 2,which took an hour)

and i really enjoyed it,i like the Halo games but i am not halos biggest fan by any means,but i did enjoy this

the cutscnes were pretty impressive and HALO fans will wanna play this as it seems like a vital part to the HALO story,this is set 20 years before

the controls were much easier than the BFME controls...all you do,is select squad(or all of your army by pressing the LB button)and then move the cursor and press X,and away they go,if its to an enemy they will attack,if you press Y instead of X on an enemy,they use their alternate moves(for the warthog-if you press Y over some grunts then the Warthog will take off and go run them over)

only problem i had,which is the same i had with BFME was the camera,i found myself tying to see what was at the tp of the screen(on the battlefield)by tilting the camera until i couldnt tilt it anymore,but i survived

i was suprised at how much i liked the game,but like Leo says,i think i may wait for a price drop

good fun though

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »

I did the tutorial and the first mission this morning, and liked it. I am afraid of some balancing issues though. It seemed that the Covenant has all of the really powerful bad guys from the original series, but the humans don't have a master chief.

I'll still be giving it a shot when it comes out, at the very least it will be a rental.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:16 AM »

The more I play the demo, the more I like this title.  It looks like it is the right balance between C&C and Dawn of War..  It's large enough, you feel like you are commanding more than just a few men, but it isn't Supreme Commander style 'big'.  Each unit is also unique enough with their special power that they don't feel like basic units from C&C.  The tech tree also feels deep enough that I'm happy.  I wish there were even a couple of groups to use.  All units and Local units isn't enough group control for my tastes.  Ahh well..a minor nitpick so far. 

I'm pretty happy having pre-ordered this one.  I think Halo Wars will go up on my shelf to join Warhammer: Battle March as my skirmish RTS for the console.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 05:28:19 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on February 07, 2009, 08:47:08 PM

I did the tutorial and the first mission this morning, and liked it. I am afraid of some balancing issues though. It seemed that the Covenant has all of the really powerful bad guys from the original series, but the humans don't have a master chief.

Actually the Humans can deploy 3 Master Chiefs at once.  icon_biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 06:04:49 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 08, 2009, 05:28:19 AM

I can't wait to Jack a Scarab.  I can't get the computer to build one though against me...

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 02:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 08, 2009, 06:04:49 AM

I can't wait to Jack a Scarab.  I can't get the computer to build one though against me...

The Scarab is the one thing the Spartans cannot jack in the game.  However, two Vultures can handily take out that annoying Scarab.

I'm loving this demo and I suck at RTS games.  Definite purchase for me.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

I was unsure on this but all I see is positive buzz. Doubt I'll get it this week as I have a small backlog, but I'll definitely grab it sometime in the next couple months.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »

Really? Looks like I need to try the demo again and get a little further this time.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 07:16:03 PM »

Really enjoyed the demo from what I played, despite being sort of an RTS snob  icon_biggrin

In for release!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: