http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2k5 Post Game Commentary - CG/GG Games Only Please  (Read 4758 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2004, 02:01:23 AM »

OK.  So here is an idea... we'll see if it goes over well or bombs.

I know I enjoy reading about games between Console Golders / Gone Golders when we play each other.  One, because we all "know" each other, and two, because they are fun to read.

So, if you have any games you've played against fellow forum members, and feel like typing up how they went, those writeups can go in this thread.

--  --  --  --  --  --

I'll even start.  (but please don't follow my lead in writing style, I am pretty useless at writeups)

RAIDERS  (Lockdown)
at
BROWNS  (Denoginizer)

All default All-Pro settings at 5 minute quarters.

My memory totally sucks, but I do remember the final score was 23-17 Raiders victory.  Warren Sapp had a great game defensively, sacking Garcia twice and having 5 tackles while totally dominating the line of scrimmage.  That really set the tone for the entire game.  

First drive, Raiders hit a streaking Jerry Rice (i think) for a quick touchdown to go up 7-0.  Denoginizer followed this with an incredibly well executed drive, some 80 yards or more, on like 12 plays, picking the Raider defense apart.  He hit numerous crucial 3rd down conversions, and just dominated the Raider secondary.  Kellen Winslow Jr. couldn't be stopped.  7-7.  I ended up having to double team him to force Denoginizer to throw to his wideouts, who actually dropped some balls.  

The rest of the game went back and forth, literally, however the Browns never actually took the lead (i don't think).  Denoginizer just couldn't get the running game going, and pretty much relied solely on Garcia and the passing game to guide the Browns.  And then... BAM!  Garcia gets sacked by Mr. Washington, and comes up injured.  The pass completions came at a slightly decreased rate at this point, and the Browns just couldn't finish it out.  Suggs was pretty much held useless.  

Some funny things about the postgame were that Denoginizer completely owned the statbook.  It wasn't even really close. He had to have more first downs in the 1st quarter than i had in the entire game.  No, I am serious.   :?  A few big plays helped me out immensely.

I had the ball so little, I can't even really remember any drives other than the first one.  I know Wheatley did allright.  He never gained more than 5 yards on an individual carry, but he was pretty consistant.  Gannon scrambled for a few big plays when I saw how Denoginizer completely blanketed my receivers.  I also know I got alot of defensive practice!!!!  I don't know if it helped... but I got the practice.   Tongue

It was a really fun game to play though.  There is nothing like playing with cool people that you "know".  I have a feeling I won't be so lucky the next time we play, but I will gladly take my 1-0 online record and brag about it to Devil when he gets back!

Raider Nation is alive and well!

Great game Denoginizer.  I had a blast.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 03:33:01 AM »

I just played my first online game tonight against naednek after finally getting live set up this afternoon. I jumped out to a 10-0 lead with the Ravens over his eagles. But after an AWFUL pass interference call ( :wink: ) that got him down to the 5 yard line and set up a field goal at the end of the half, things just started to fall apart for me. I think I threw 3 picks in the second half (I was Kyle Boller, after all), 2 of which he returned for TDs.

I ended up getting smoked 38-17. All in all, though, it was great fun. I look forward to playing more CG/GGs online.  biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:50:21 AM »

Well, I've played Stiffler 4 times (2-2) and beat Programmer_Bob once (1-0), but I'll start paying more attention to our games.  This sounds like a neat thread idea.  I know Stiffler and my games have been interesting, but the beginning to Pbob and mine takes the cake as baffling.  We just started the game (I was the Pats, he was the Broncos) and he got the kickoff.  First play from scrimage he passes it.  His receiver catches it, gets hit, and fumbles while I pick it up.  At the time, we were both amazed it was called a fumble since it didn't look like the receiver had possession of the ball.  He challanged it (I was sure it was to be overturned), but the play stood.  That sort of set the tone of the whole game from there.  

I'm playing Stiffler tomorrow and while his Falcon's have seemingly stifled my offensive, win or loss, I'll write up a report here biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 11:55:09 PM »

TML - Patriots
       v
Programmer_Bob - Broncos

I came in confident.  I had beaten Bob previously.  He had told me he had tinkered around with the O-line and his HB's and gotten more used to the game, so I was expecting a challange.

What I got was an ASS-KICKING.

He started it off with a steady running game and going the length of the field on an impressive drive.  I responded with a 40-something yard kickoff return with Bethel Johnson and a 50-something TD reception to tie it up.

It was all downhill for the Patriots from there.

He had a couple INTs (including one returned for a TD) and continued with his running game.  Quentin Griffin, by the end of the game, had accumlated nearly 140 yard on the ground.  Pbob also had a play that reminded me a whole heckuva lot like the incomplete/fumble debacle in the snow vs the Raiders a few years back.  Except this time it was challanged and stood as a fumble.  When he knocked Willie McGinest out of the game, I was a tad ticked.  When he knocked Corey Dillon out of the game, I gave up.

PBOB 34 - TML 13

GG Programmer_Bob!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 05:03:26 AM »

My Jaguars played played against Lockdown's VIP file and the Panthers.  The final score was 12-7, Panthers.  It was a lot of fun seeing the VIP feature in action.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 07:43:28 AM »

cstiffler - Falcons
         v
TML - Patriots

I've played Stiffler 5 times and we keep flip-flopping on wins and loses.  I win, he wins, I win, he wins - this was my turn to win.

The game started in a rather bad way according to the trend.  Deangelo Hall picked Brady off and the Falcons were rolling onto an early 7-0 lead.  In the second quarter I finally managed to get things rolling.  I believe Eugene Wilson brought one back to the house and David Givens caught a somewhat long touchdown pass for a for a 14-10 lead at halftime.  Third and fourth quarters were full of great defense, and I had managed to nail a FG (as well as Willie McGinest being subbed in and not TWO plays later knocking Vick out of the game).  Stiffler managed to get a field goal cutting the lead to 17-13, but I closed the game out with about 4 minutes left when Corey Dillon busted up the left side for a 30-yard TD run giving him 100 yards for the game.

Final Score:

TML 24 - Stiffler 13

I expect to lose the next game, it's our trend smile

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 08:28:56 AM »

A remarkable game by TML, I must concur.

Our games consistantly have a very nice flow to them.  A good mix of the run and pass.  It's a defensive struggle, but the O-line held up much better this game for both of us.  I was forced to play a little more conservative, holding back the blitzing, because you were able to run the ball effectively and this opened up more down-field opportunities.

Oh, and David Givens had two TD catches in the first half.

Ty Detmer was also a very nice surprise subbing in for the injured Vick.

I tried out Maximum Passing and wasn't happy with the results.  My tendency is to roll out (especially with Vick, not to mention no shotgun formation) and I keep the d-pad held in when I throw the ball, causing it to go wide or to be overthrown.

TML, I will have revenge tomorrow!  Make sure that if you play you do an even number of games to keep your trend alive.  Don't rob me of the victory by going odd on me!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 04:30:56 PM »

Lockdown and I played 3/4 of a game: Panthers vs. Raiders.  I have to say, first of all, that the network lag was bad, which really makes these games difficult.  I have yet to have a flawless game, network wise.  I hope that this problem is addressed.  

My defense held up pretty well, and I was passing well, though I STINK at the running game.  Lockdown ran the ball well, for 6-7 yards each drive.  Neither one of us moved the ball particularly well.  I scored a touchdown to take a 7-0 lead.  I missed 2 field goals.  D'oh!  Then, at the beginning of the 2nd half, I was distracted by my dog and thought that I kicked the ball... I was returning, which I didn't do, and was tackled for a safety after leaving the endzone and returning to it.  7-2.

I then made a stop, drove the ball, kicked a field goal.  10-2, in my favor.  That's when the network went most sour, and we lost connection.  I think the game would have been much different without the lag.  Leaves me worried that this is going to be a constant problem.

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 05:03:02 PM »

Naednek and I have had some intense online battles, the best of which was a game we played last night between my Dolphins (with an unretired Ricky Williams) taking on his Seahawks. With the game tied 10 all and the clock winding down in the 4th quarter, he completed a pass down to the 5 yard line. Game over, right? Well, fortunately for me, he had forgotten that he didn't have any timeouts remaining and the seconds thankfully ticked away, sending us into overtime. There, with a heavy dose of Ricky runs, I set up a pass over the top of his D stacked on the line on a 3rd and 1 and sprinted to the endzone with David Boston.

I'm loving playing this game on-line, even when I lose.  biggrin
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 10:45:59 PM »

Vikings (Denoginizer)  10
Raiders (Lockdown) 3

This one was more of a defensive battle.  The Vikes were up 10-3 in the 4th quarter as Gannon and the Raiders drove for the tie.  On 2 occasions Gannon was able to convert big first downs by taking off around the left end on a bootleg.  Coach Denoginizer was having trouble containing Gannon on this play.  The game came down to fourth down for the Raiders at the Vikings' 8 yard line with 2 seconds left.  The Vikings coaching staff told DT Chris Hovan to spy on Gannon in case he takes off.  Sure enough Hovan was able to make a shoestring tackle on the 2 yardline as time expired  :lol:

Great Game LD.  

I could not hear you speak, not sure if your mic was on or not.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 11:10:34 PM »

That was a tremendous game!

I honestly don't know what poor defensive teams are going to do against the Vikings.  It seemed like you drove up and down the field at will (to me).  

The only reason the score was so close was because my drives took so long.  

What a finish though!!!!!!  I did NOT plan on running Gannon like that.  I wanted to hit Brown on a cross, but you were all over that!

You deserved that win.

Great game!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 11:14:14 PM »

I just had a game with Caveman and NOW remember why I don't play as my beloved Dolphins online.

When I lose with the Raiders, it's like... "Oh darn.  I lost.  Bummer.  Next."

When I lose with Miami....  I think I just set a swearing record in how many swear words a person can say in the course of 5 minutes.

Great game Caveman...  

Redskins 14

Dolphins  13

--   --   --   --   --

Are you guys noticing the trend here.  

"I just played Lockdown... it was a really close game.  He lost."

What a fun game though!   :wink:

LD

LD

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 02:23:29 AM »

Well, if it's any consolation, my girlfriend lost a lot of respect for me when I scored that go ahead touchdown with a minute to go, as I was screaming like a giddy little schoolgirl. I was just so surprised it happened, as you had totally been shutting me down up until that point.

Anytime you want to play again, let me know!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 04:43:45 AM »

Michael Vick just went 4 for 26 with 4 INT's in my 28-0 loss to TML's Patriots.  No commentary necessary.

jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 04:54:44 AM »

sounds like TML is getting very good very quick....

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 06:26:27 AM »

Well, I was great for a half against you Jessie.

I played my heart out for a 14-0 lead at halftime.  The Pats are beating the Raider's in the Oakland rain.  I had Jessie's offense stifled, his defense under control - I had this game!

Halftime hits.  3rd quarter begins.

Jessie gets an INT for a TD.  Eh, not a HUGE deal, I'm still leading him 14-7.  He gets the ball again.  Nails a 41 yarder with Janikowski.  14-10.  I'm sweating a little bit.  Next series, Corey Dillon fumbles the ball, Buchannon picks it up (he had an INT return as well) and scores the TD.  17-14, Raiders take the lead.  From there, Jessie nailed another FG as well as picked off another INT for a TD to beat me 27-14.  If we go by half's, I beat him the first half 14-0 and he beat me second half 27-0.  It was an incredible game, though.  At least I controlled his offense!  Good game, Jessie.  I'll beat you one of these days!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 01:52:36 AM »

Programmer Bob (Denver)
vs
Semaj (New Jersey)

The tone in this game was set early and often as the Jets attempted to set up a runnign game on the Bronco's.  

After trading punts The jets faces a 3rd and long and Sent a pass to a man-covered Wide reciever who surpised everyone, including the man controlling him by catching it and taking it to the house.

Denver had no real answer as Garrison Heart spent most of the first half on his backside and Plummer couldnt really seem to connect with his recievers.  After a big turnover, Curtis Martin broke a big one by breaking a takleand then hurdling another defender to break it big down the left sideline to put the halftime score at 14-3.

The second half was more martin and After a score, it looked as if the game might beput out of reach when The Jets threatened yet again 1rst and goal on the denver 8.  3 Runs later, Martin couldnt find the end zone and The Jets had to settle for a Field goal making it 24-3...

The very next possession, Garrison Hearst decided Martin woudlnt be the only 100 yard rusher of the game by breaking a huge run down the right side, over, around, through a few defenders as if they were cardboard guards from alice in wonderland (Damn sloppy tackeling) to narrow the game to 10-24.

However, thats as close as it would get the Jets instituted a bend but dont break philosophy letting Denver get close, but not letting them bakc in the end zone.

The final results was Pennington with a 120 QB rating and Martin with 21 carries for over 160 yards.  While Hearst had 11 carries for 113 yards and Plummer never could get anything going and we wont mention his QB rating here.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 02:08:57 AM »

After 3 disconnects with Lockdown  - I played against ScottW (from GG) and lost!!

Patriots - 3
Eagles - 0

A horrible offensive game turned into a thriller!

Only two things to mention.

Vinatieri kicks a FIFTY yarder in the 3rd quarter then, after 400 Pinkston dropped passes, the Eagles O comes alive on the last drive only to run out of time on the Patriots 6yd line!!

Great game!

Looking forward to more!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 04:07:48 AM »

Just played quite the game with Semaj.  He was the Jets, I used the Chiefs.  First 3 quarters, Semaj dominated.  I had absolutely NO running game, and my passing attack wouldn't work, either.  Meanwhile, Semaj had Curtis Martin carve up my defense, and a long Wayne Chrebet TD pass and a Toby Gowin FG made it 10-0.

Then, something clicked.  My passing game finally found its mark, and I blew up.  Yardage wise, at least.  I was finally able to score on a long Tony Gonzalez TD reception to make it 10-7.  After a defensive stop, I quickly marched down the field again, only to be stopped inside the 5 and settling for a Morten Andersen field goal.  10-10.  Was able to stop Semaj at the end of regulation.  That's right, OVERTIME!

In OT, I won the toss, and elected to receieve.  After a couple adventuresome plays involving Priest Holmes, I noticed Semaj had called a really odd defense.  I tossed Johnny Morton on a go hot route, and burned his defense for a 63 yard, game winning TD.

Final score: Chiefs 16, Jets 10.

Semaj's offensive numbers were very balanced.  Practically the same passing and rushing yards.  Mine were another story altogether.  I believe I had a grand total of 4 (!!) rushing yards, to go along with 220+ passing yards.

Hell of a game, man.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 04:15:43 AM »

It was a beaver Zone.... it was SUPPOSED to have safety's back deep, you know give a run-defence formation and actually be good pass coverage... instead it had Safety's watching guys run past them....

I however will assuredly have to buy a new X-Box controller after I smash this one, then run it over, then smash it some more, than run it over some more...  Nothign more irritating than hitting the button, waiting for the pass, hitting it again, pump faking, then getting sacked instead of hitting the guy no one is covering.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 04:25:25 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
It was a beaver Zone.... it was SUPPOSED to have safety's back deep, you know give a run-defence formation and actually be good pass coverage... instead it had Safety's watching guys run past them....

I however will assuredly have to buy a new X-Box controller after I smash this one, then run it over, then smash it some more, than run it over some more...  Nothign more irritating than hitting the button, waiting for the pass, hitting it again, pump faking, then getting sacked instead of hitting the guy no one is covering.

Hmm, you know, I thought something looked weird about your defense.  I had to exploit it somehow; I'm sure you understand.

And I was wondering what you were doing when I got that first sack on you.  You did some weird shake when Barber ran past you...I thought it was QB Evade for a second.  Then Wesley came the other way and nailed you.  A pump fake, you say?  Odd.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 04:46:49 AM »

I had trips on the left side and you had 1 defender... he covered someone short leaving a guy wide open long... I hit the button and was a trifle shocked to see nothign happen.. then I went to throw it again and he pulled it down to get sacked I think

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2004, 12:33:58 PM »

I played a game last night with a guy named Black Adam: he was Atlanta, I was Jacksonville.

I won 48 to 3, catching something like six interceptions.  I felt horrible for the guy, who played a really nice by-the-book game of football.  Gave him a lot of the good feedback in the Feedback menu after the game  - sitting through a match like that takes a lot of patience.

Anyway, just and example that there are still good players out there who don't go for the cheese.
Semaj

View Profile
hrm
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2004, 05:42:52 AM »

I play cheezy?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2004, 06:00:50 AM »

I'll be kind to the parties involved in this one...

Jess (Cowboys)
vs
Semaj (Jets)

The tone was set Very early when Jess started out wiht the ball and went 3 and out.  Once the Jets got the ball (and anyone who plays me will attest to this) Curtis Martin showed why he should be the Carries leader in the league with 5 straight carries.  Then on a 3rd and 5ish, Pennington rolled out to his left and saw Moss with a step on his back and a quick pass from pennington and the Jets had thier first score of the game.

From there it was pretty much downhill for the Jets and uphill for the cowboys.  The resonding series of events to show how theball was bouncing would be when there was a interception in the end zone returned for a touchdown, followed 2 plays later by a fumble setting up another touchdown.

Eventually the cowboys discovered the airways, which are always friendly with the Jets (Go figure) but by that point the damage had been done.  Jess eventually accepted defeat and left with around 4 minutes left in the fourth.

Final score... um..erm.. like 18-14 smile

only thing I really regret is no stats,...grumble
[/u]

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2004, 06:08:03 AM »

i didn't know that quitting gave you no stats as a result.  sorry about that mate...

final score was something like 42-18 or so...you were pummeling me.  *cries*  the cowboys, without george, have no offense other than throwing the ball...and carter's not all that good at doing that.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2004, 09:06:45 AM »

It's all good... wasnt anything real big... We both knew who was going to win smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 02:16:21 AM »

Man, I was playing an awesome game -- Jaguars against the Ravens -- and we were in the third quarter having scored only field goals throughout this entire game (6-3 Ravens).  A great game of defense on both sides.  Then the guy starts to panic -- he runs too far back on a few plays at different times and gives up massive yardage.  I score one touchdown and break ahead (10-6 Jaguars).  The guy panics again, loses ten yards and then quits the game.  I got the default win, but still, he had an entire quarter to come back.    

I thought it was just an excellent game overall - what a let down to have the guy back out on such a close game.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2004, 05:08:14 AM »

I know you're asking for CG/GG games only, but damn if I shouldn't tell you all about this game I had the other night.

Panthers vs. Chiefs.

1st quarter
I was the Chiefs. I took the opening drive, got an easy touchdown and was really feeling good about myself. I force a 3 and out and I know that I can rain down on this guy. He stymies my offense, gets the ball back and uses Davis to bruise me and Muhammed to make some amazing catches. He ties the game at Seven going into the Second Quarter. I'm thinking that this could be a tough game.

2nd quarter
Once again he holds me back after a couple of plays. I was good at not going 3 and out. Anyways, he sticks to his beat me with Steven Davis for 2 plays and then throw to Muhammed on 3rd, and it works. He proceeds to eat the Second Quarter clock alive and marches to a go ahead score with 40 or so seconds remaining. I take the kickoff back to my 24 and turn in a Five play 76 yard drive in 39 seconds or so. I know my Chiefs a lot better than he knows his Panthers. So Heading into halftime you're looking at a 14 all endeavor. Blood is pumping as I can see this one will be more interesting than tough.

3rd quarter
I kickoff to him and he proceeds to again eat up the clock with slow play selections, davis runs and great 3rd down passing. I swear I thought I had about 10 three and outs in the entire game that his clever passing got him out of. He takes the ball into the endzone and goes up 21 - 14. Fortunately I am not daunted and non-chalantly take the ball and go three and out! I punt it away and FINALLY get a three and out on the guy. Insignificant punt return by Hall, and I get the ball and decide to try something different. I form up in a two back, one tightend and two receiver set. Split Tony Gonzalez out to the slot with motion, recognize the safety blitz, make sure I have backfield blocking and hot route Tony into a deep route. NO ONE covers him and hit him dead on for a 50 plus yard TD. I just feel like I can score anytime I want, it's just a matter of having the ball. Before the end of 3rd we swap a series and I end out the 3rd punting to him. Little did I know how hairy it was going to get.

4th quarter
He takes the ball at the top of the quarter and goes into his grind out the clock mode because he's certain I can't stop him. He's right, I can't, but I can contain him. He proceeds to burn the clock down past the two minute warning. I've burnt through all my Time Outs, and he's inside the 30 looking to kill the clock and get a last second score. Knowing I couldn't stop the clock, and feeling cocky enough that I can score again I let Davis take the ball outside and run it in for a TD. I was actually taking the closest defenders and running them away from him. I even moved every to one side pre-snap. This guy must've had a really short memory or just poor football sense because he bit the bait and took it to the house and gave me the ball back with an eternity to score, 1:40 or so on the clock. I waste no time scoring and tieing the game again at 28 now. I halfway considered the 2-point, but something told me this guy wasn't all there at the time.

So I kick it off, he gets a decent runback, has all three Timeouts and could easily score. He uses about five plays, a timeout and gets the ball just past half field. I stop him on second down and 8, incomplete pass. I nail Steven Davis on the next play making it 4th and 5 or so around my 40 yard line. He uses his second time out and you could cut the tension with a knife, it was as exciting as any Playoff game I've seen. His kicker doesn't have the leg, and I guess he's not the best at it anyways. The whole time I'm wondering why he just didn't run the clock out and take it to OT with a better chance to win for him, I've got no timeouts and he should've killed the clock instead of throwing a lot of incomplete passes. So on fourth down he gets cute and runs the ball thinking that the game will end. I stop him in the backfield.

There's 24 seconds on the clock, I line up in a three wide set, hot the slot into a post on linebacker coverage it looks like. Hike the ball, five step drop, Trent Green looks to Morton, covered, Looks to Kennison on the sidelines, covered and checks down to the slot, Dante hall has a few steps on a zone playing backer downfield about twenty yards, with no safety in sight. I call his number, he makes the catch, the other guy switches to the defender, pooches a tackle completely and I run that ball almost 50 yards untouched and Slowly, yes Slowly( I wanted to kill some of the clock darnit!) walk into the endzone Deion Sanders Style. I was about to explode with excitement. Games Do not get any better than a see-saw battle ending on the pretty much last play. I kick the field goal, go up 35-28, only my second time leading the game since the opening drive, and kickoff a low liner to him with 11 seconds left. He gets tackled, about 7 seconds remaining he gets in two Hail Marys with no luck and I feel like I've won the superbowl.

I went and gave the guy good feedback, and a friend invite too. He was a good solid player, and we matched up fairly well. Like I said I just knew what I could do with my team. It was a great game, and the sole reason to keep ESPN.

On a side note. Why do we make a big deal about all the presentation in the game when A: It's really not that good.(berman's picked plays are retarded) B: We all skip it in multiplayer games and probably most of us skip it in singleplayer after seeing it once or twice. I've just read so much about people gushing over the presentation, and I guess it's just not my thing.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2004, 05:32:13 AM »

That's an amazing recap, Tebunker.  I for one don't mind the "not a CG/GG commentary" if it is as exciting as that.  I enjoyed reading it more than I enjoyed Thursday night's game on television!  You obviously have the real-life football knowledge to really pick a defense apart, which I found works well in this game.  Glad you found what sounds like a great player out there in "the wild!"  Excellent stuff.

What length were the quarters you were playing on?  Not to get too off-topic, but this sounds like the reason I am hoping for at least 7-minute quarters in the league.  As it is, a solid running game can eat up an entire quarter on one drive.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2004, 11:28:20 AM »

That was a great recap.  I agree it's all about knowing your particular team and what you can do with them.

On the presentation side, I like it.  I get kind of irritated that people on the other end don't want to watch the stat presentations or replays of their own team.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2004, 01:13:26 PM »

We were playing Five minute quarters, and yes even a mediocre running game can eat those five minutes alive when it's paired with a halfway decent passing attack. I could eat a 1:30 at least on each 3 play series if I wanted to, but 7:00 quarters won't remedy that, and not everyone will take all 30 seconds between snaps.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: