http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 things you should know about the PS3...  (Read 1146 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:22:38 PM »

Nice little article...

I must admit, I'm starting to warm up to the hardware and some of the games.  I still can't see myself getting one this year, but stranger things have happened...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »

Sounds like a pretty slick piece of hardware, which it probably should be at its high price, but kudos to Sony anyway. I'll see you in a few years, Sony!  Tongue thumbsup

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:43:34 PM »

Nothing impressive enough to change my mind about buying one for a while.  I noticed this:

"First-party games are priced at $59.99

Which is in line with the Xbox 360 software pricing structure. This is comforting news, as there have been rumors that the games would cost even more thanks to more expensive Blu-ray manufacturing. No word yet on third-party game pricing; it’s still possible those prices will lean higher. "

I thought Microsoft's first party games were $49.99?  Also I have a buddy that works at Micro Center.  He told me non-first party games are listed at $69.99.  Not sure if he is right or not, but damn.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:43:58 PM »

The eject and power on buttons on the face of the PS3 are touch sensitive, not unlike the iPod’s wheel or the Chocolate phone’s softkeys. It’s a nice, classy addition that helps give the PS3 a more cutting-edge look and feel, especially compared to the somewhat clunky “clicky” Xbox 360 power and eject buttons. A small detail, perhaps, but on worth noting.
The question here is how sensitive?  Like, say you have it in an entertainment center on one of the lower shelves, and a puppies tail accidentally hits either button, will it register it?

(Note to fanboys- this is not a PS3 bash just a question.)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »

Just 24 more days to go....   icon_biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 11:59:36 PM »

If and when the blu-ray format wins the war I'll probably buy a PS3.  It'll be interesting to see how much the PS3 influences the war.

Bring your own!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:00:54 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 23, 2006, 11:43:34 PM

I thought Microsoft's first party games were $49.99?  Also I have a buddy that works at Micro Center.  He told me non-first party games are listed at $69.99.  Not sure if he is right or not, but damn.

Some MS first party games are $49.99.  Those expected to sell a lot, like Gears of War, are $59.99 though.  And I call bogus on the third party stuff at $69.99- Activision announced their pricing a month or so back and it's $59.99 too. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 12:10:06 AM »

Yep, every third party title I've seen has been confirmed as $59.99.  I don't know what your friend is smoking, but he probably bought it from microsoft. slywink

There's no way Sony would price above $60 when a competitor has their games at a lower price point.  Their system is already costly enough.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 12:33:40 AM »

That was a good article. I'm kind of excitied now.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:10 AM »

I think the whole "more than $60 games" thing mostly has to do with Japan, where they will likely be priced higher according to popularity similar to how that is done now with big titles.  I would assume this is one of the reasons they have been able to lower the price of the hardware there, also. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »

Uhm, was it just me, or was point #1 "it's sexy" and Point number 3-12 are "it's sexy".

Slot load doesn't impress me; more moving parts that fail. I've had more problems with slot loads than trays, EVER.
It's shiny. ooo, sexy. I'm pretty sure that shelling out that kinda dough doesn't raise one's sex appeal any. In fact, most video gaming tends to do quite the opposite.

They had maybe what, 4 points to make, and streched it to 24 points? Also, he dismisses the heat issue, even though there were some big heat issues reported by many sites.

The drama, I tell you. It's almost not worth it to try to get my hands on a few to ebay them at 300% profit. Almost.  :slywink:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »

Remember the article is from Macworld.com too, so naturally it's going to be more sony-leaning than microsoft. My current girlfriend has a mac and constantly tells me to get a mac and give up pcs.. (while I tell her the opposite) she has a psp and ps2 wont have anything to do with xbox because it's made by microsoft.
Of course that's not all Mac people, but in general, Apple and Microsoft are competitors.

I'm definitely interested in the web browser and hardware backwards compatibility, but we knew about both of those things since the PS3 was unleased at E3 last year.

Still in the same spot as before - plan on getting a ps3, but not until the PS3 enters the mainstream market with a more realistic price point. (Plus that'll give them plenty of time to get a bigger game library and iron out any bugs found in the launch models.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 02:16:25 PM »

A tad off topic, but i know the p3 is backwards compatible.  But is there any confirmation Guitar Hero's controller will work in the p3?

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on October 24, 2006, 02:16:25 PM

A tad off topic, but i know the p3 is backwards compatible.  But is there any confirmation Guitar Hero's controller will work in the p3?

I don't think it will - as far as I know, the PS3 doesn't have the same controller slots as the PS2. Of course, I suppose there might eventually be some PS2 to PS3 converter.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 07:01:38 PM »

Article = meh.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:44:43 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on October 24, 2006, 02:20:23 PM

Quote from: Xmann on October 24, 2006, 02:16:25 PM

I don't think it will - as far as I know, the PS3 doesn't have the same controller slots as the PS2. Of course, I suppose there might eventually be some PS2 to PS3 converter.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802566

$4.99

smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »

well, I'm already sold on a PS#... I just typically wait about a year for all the major bugs to be worked out and maybe a price drop.  I know I'm definitely waiting for the spring at the very least as I'm waiting for Metal Gear Solid 4

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: