http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 10:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 Gaming Character of the Year?  (Read 943 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

Someone mentioned the great characters in the Walking Dead thread so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

Any characters you've encountered this year that stand out to you?

I'll need to think on it a bit more, but right now my nominees are:

Lee from Walking Dead
Clementine from Walking Dead

Both are complex well threshed out and written extremely well.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

Tiny Tina : Borderlands 2  Some found her to be offensive, but I loved it. Add in here Echo's and its all win

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

Is this a Walking Dead only thread (the OP seems to suggest it, though the title is more broad in the candidacy).

I'm going to go with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.

I've also enjoyed Cortana, much more than I have in previous games.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

Tiny Tina and Jack were a riot from Borderlands 2. If I had to pick anyone from The Walking Dead though it would have to be Kenny. Far Cry 3 looks to have some memorable characters so that might sneak in and claim this honor.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:18:13 PM »

Jack from B2. One of the greatest villains ever. Yeah, I suppose it would be easy for some to dismiss his rants as juvenile, but I actually think he's an extremely nuanced character. I think Jack genuinely believes he is a hero, and that he truly loves *spoiler*, yet his callous disregard for human life is appalling at times. Moreover, as awful as he is, he manages to come across as likable/sympathetic at times. I don't think writing a character like that is nearly as easy as they have made it look.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »

Tiny Tina was ace and Jack is also great.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

I was laughing out loud with the mission where Lillith sends you to kill the four assassins. Jacks messages to them (esp. the one re: marker smell) had me in stitches.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »

Jack from Borderlands 2 is my favorite villain of 2012.  He had me when he started talking about ponies.  

My favorite lead protagonist (so far) would be Lee from The Walking Dead...mostly because no other lead characters really stood out for me.  I haven't played AC3 or Far Cry 3, maybe those leads are more memorable.

My favorite supporting character(s) is a toss up between Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2, and my hired pawns from Dragon's Dogma.  My DD pawns actually showed up in my storybook ending...how cool is that?  And there's no way I could forget their memorable lines...like this one, "The sight of a woman excites it!"

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:38:25 PM by Roguetad » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:35:58 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 28, 2012, 01:49:55 PM

Is this a Walking Dead only thread (the OP seems to suggest it, though the title is more broad in the candidacy).

I'm going to go with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.

I've also enjoyed Cortana, much more than I have in previous games.

Cortana was great,although i was a little embarrassed* at how much more naked she looked(didn't put me off her though),sure she has been naked in them all,but her T+A were much more evident in Halo 4,and that's where my eyes were drawn to everytime ...felt kind of wrong,with knowing her in the past games

she is still a great character,and more so in Halo 4

*is the word i will use

Overall,Jack and Tina from Borderlands 2 would be high,if not the top of my list,Tiny Tina wasn't in it for that long(i heard she was in the new DLC,is she?),but Jack kept me laughing all the way through the game,him and Butt Stallion icon_lol

Honourable mention for great game character = Captain Rast Brattingan from the Kingdom of Amalur:Reckoning DLC>>The Legend of Dead Kel

I loved her,she was funny,flirty and a little bit ditsy

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

I am going to throw this in the ring,worse Character would be James Vega from Mass Effect 3..he did nothing for the game IMO(EDI and even Javik the Protheon were better),I don't really like bringing up ME3 when it comes to 'the worse off',because it still hurts what that game became(could of been great,missed opportunity etc etc),.....that game cut the deepest when it came to disappointments this year icon_frown icon_confused icon_cry crybaby

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »

Asura or Yasha from Asura's Wrath
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:39:43 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »

Definitely Lee from TWD.

Runner up is my brother Ralph-Wiggum in XCOM. He is one helluva master sniper.  ninja
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 03:43:46 AM »

Has to be Max Payne.

The character is voiced perfectly with lots of inflection, and comes across as a grizzled, cynical, down on his luck, I've seen everything before type cop, who still manages to be
a smart ass with a dash of black humor. Just a great character portrayal.

Byte me
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 05:06:36 AM »

Geralt from the Witcher 2 would be high on my list. I agree that Handsome jack was a great character, but I would have preferred some more interaction with him other than the audio logs for 95% of the game. Developers still don't understand how to create and utilize truly great villians.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »

Gotta be Lee and/or Clementine from The Walking Dead.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 05:46:42 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 29, 2012, 05:06:36 AM

Geralt from the Witcher 2 would be high on my list. I agree that Handsome jack was a great character, but I would have preferred some more interaction with him other than the audio logs for 95% of the game. Developers still don't understand how to create and utilize truly great villians.

That's a fair point, they could have found ways to get Jack on screen more, though I personally don't think it was necessary.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on November 29, 2012, 05:46:42 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 29, 2012, 05:06:36 AM

That's a fair point, they could have found ways to get Jack on screen more, though I personally don't think it was necessary.

I really enjoyed the messages. It was like here is some recorded shit for ya as you arent worth my face to face real time until really necessary.

Geralt is also really cool, i think if i wanted to be someone from a game it would be him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: