http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 05:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007: Your Gaming Year In Review? Highs. Lows. The Unexpected?  (Read 3102 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 17, 2007, 06:37:48 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 17, 2007, 06:33:58 PM

Unexpected:  Tabula Rasa.  holy cow that game is fun.

It is?  I played the beta and thought it was boring.  Did they change anything?

I wasn't in the beta but I'm having fun with the sci fi setting and the combat.  granted, the combat isn't FPS but it feels more interactive than WoW's 'click on an icon every so often' method.  the real test will be how long I end up playing it.  WoW only lasted a couple of months before I got bored, and none of the other MMORPG's have made it past the free month for me.  Still, I wasn't expecting to like TR at all when I grabbed the 3 day trial.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »

Highs 
CH2k8 & R6:Vegas (360) - awesome!
Uncharted & MLB:The Show 07' (PS3) - awesome!
GalCiv 2 and expansions (PC) - awesome!

Lows 
MLB 2k7 (360) - disappointed!
Vanguard (PC) - disaster!

Unexpected 
Eye of Judgement (PS3) - fun!
Mythos! (PC) - value!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:03:29 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 17, 2007, 06:40:10 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 17, 2007, 06:21:56 PM

Quote from: jersoc on December 17, 2007, 07:43:58 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 17, 2007, 02:28:42 AM

Quote from: Ridah on December 17, 2007, 02:26:19 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on December 17, 2007, 12:40:32 AM

Quote from: Ridah on December 17, 2007, 12:33:20 AM

LE was cynical for the attention, I'm just being honest. I don't understand how you guys can tolerate some of this stuff better than I can.

What console games have been buggy and rushed???

You mean besides Mass Effect?

Yeah.  I do.

Goto EA's homepage, that should help you out.

Not the greatest homepage in the world.  But it doesn't help me much tell me that much about buggy games. 

Humor, meet Denog. Denog, meet humor.  Now that you're acquainted, perhaps you should re-read the statement and put 2 + 2 together   retard

No. I got it.  I'd just like to see jersoc actually give some examples of bugs he experienced first hand.

It's just that pointing to buggy games by a general reference to EA's website is kind of a tired joke.  My point is many people know of bugs that they read about other people experiencing than actually experiencing them personally.  For example if you read Op Sports forums you would think that Madden 08 would make your console explode by just putting in the disk.  When in reality I have played the game a ton and the only 2 bugs I've encountered (both since patched,) have been pretty minor.  I think games are actually less buggy than they were in years past.  It's just that every game is scrutinized so tightly by thousands of message board crawlers within days of release.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:16:13 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »

oh, and one more unexpected:

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »

Does Hellgate london count? lol.

I think humor wasn't the right word choose, let's go with sarcasm. The point remains valid, EA is horrible with QA.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 17, 2007, 07:34:54 PM

Does Hellgate london count? lol.

I think humor wasn't the right word choose, let's go with sarcasm. The point remains valid, EA is horrible with QA.

I'm not saying PC games aren't buggy.  icon_biggrin

I'm mainly referring to console games.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2007, 07:54:32 PM »

Highs: CoD4, Mass Effect and Bioshock

Lows: MMORPG have dried up for me to a point.  resubbed WoW to get  fix, but the fire is GONE

Unexpected: Hellgate: London  flopped.  I was out, but I didn't EXPECT for the release to be this bad
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:19:33 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »

HIGHS
Bioshock, Assassins Creed, and Mass Effect turned out to be some of the best games I played in a while.

LOWS
GTA IV got delayed till next year. Kane and Lynch really sucked, and I've been eating Ramon Noodles since Sept. till the end of November icon_wink

UNEXPECTED
After vowing never to purchase another COD, COD4 really turned out to be a great game (I love the C130 mission)
GTA IV got delayed till next year.
Wii took first place in the system race. and the PS3 Super Tanked bigtime  disgust
OH, I experienced 3 redrings of Death this year alone.  disgust
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:01:21 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2007, 11:49:57 PM »

Highs:
- Console gaming in general. Consoles are incredibly sophisticated now, have diverse selections of titles, great graphics better control, multiplayer frequently better than PC's, and healthy, healthy competition. Console gaming is great and continues to get better.
- COD4: I didn't doubt I was going to like this game but I love it. Its a fantastic game that is marred only by having way too many enemies to hide lazy design decisions, one awful level, and poor trigger/enemy scripting at times. The multiplayer is absolutely sublime, and I feel confident it will become my favorite multiplayer FPS of all time.
- The quality of PC games. Crysis was awesome, we had a bunch of absolutely top notch RTS, the Witcher was a tremendous surprise. The PC still has some, great, great games going for it.
- Mass Effect. Yes, technically the game is well...rough. But it looks beautiful, the combat somehow actually works, the animation is great, and the story and conversation system are simply outstanding.
- Bioshock. I have a lot of issues with this game in retrospect, but what it did well it did very, very well. I have a lot of fond memories of it and will likely play it again. I think it could have been much more, but it deserves mention for what it started.
- XBox 360. Hardware issues aside I just love the console, Live, the games, and it's been performing great.
- Final Fantasy XII. Came out in 2006, I played most of it in early 2007. Just a tiny fraction below X as my favorite FF and a seminal game in the series, outstanding in almost every regard. I still remember it with great fondness and want to replay it ASAP.

Lows:
- Wii's continued dominance.
- The abysmal Hellgate: London
- Madden 2008 and NCAA 2008. I still like both games- a lot- and played them a ton. However, they are both buggy, feature grossly broken fumble mechanics, problems with interceptions and super-AI for the DBs-and EA yet again failed to address significant, sometimes game breaking issues with the games.
- Tiger Woods 2008. A massive step back for the TW franchise and my least favorite version in years.

Unexpected:
- The Witcher is really good. Its the NWN2 engine-just 10x better. Its gritty, dark, the combat is good if clunky, and the story is engaging. Load times are the only real issue here.
- Wii continuing to defy fad status-still possible, who knows.
- Uncharted rocks!
- Heavenly Sword did not so much.
- The PS3's lineup, support, online options and maturation, and Sony's management ranged from average to downright shameful. Sony has found a way to shoot itself in the foot and firmly entrench itself in third place, with the worse option for most multi-platform titles and a dwindling, and mostly inferior selection of first party titles.
- Assassin's Creed faded very fast for me. I will still finish it one day, but it's not the game I wanted it to be or hoped it might be. I might even enjoy it more when I go back to it, but I still will end up dissapointed.

More coming later...
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »

High: -COD4 Multiplayer. I've been playing lots of this the last few weeks. I ususally don't get into FPS multiplayer on consoles
        -General state of console gaming. Just tons of great titles this year.
        - Eye of Judgement for the PS3

Lows: -My lack of games for the wii console. Other than than the Mario titles, Resident evil, and Metroid. Not much interested me.

Unexpected: Armegeddon Empires for the PC. Great game from an Indy developer.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:26 AM »

Highs: cod4 and bioshock.  i was skeptical of both games being as good as they were, but i really enjoyed both of them. 

unexpected: my conversion from a 50/50 ps2/pc game player to a 360/ds player.  12 months ago, i had just got the wii and i was not expecting to end up with a ds, a 360 and least of all, the ps3.  i've played only a handful of pc games since (two worlds, crysis, psychonauts) with only one being platform specific.  i've only bought one ps2 game and haven't even opened it.  meanwhile, my 360/ds catalog is big enough to take up it's own shelf. 

lows:  having very few new wii games worth recommending to new owners.  other than smg, there's mostly remakes or upgraded sequels.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 17, 2007, 11:49:57 PM

- The Witcher is really good. Its the NWN2 engine-just 10x better. Its gritty, dark, the combat is good if clunky, and the story is engaging. Load times are the only real issue here.

Actually it's using the Aurora Engine, which was made for Neverwinter Nights 1.  NWN2 used the Electron Engine.  So all those awesome graphics?  Done using a 5 year old engine  icon_biggrinthumbsup

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: