http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's your PC Game of the Year?  (Voting closed: January 01, 2005, 06:47:15 PM)
Half Life 2 - 47 (38.5%)
Rome - Total War - 17 (13.9%)
Sid Meier's Pirates! - 11 (9%)
World of Warcraft - 21 (17.2%)
Unreal Tournament 2004 - 12 (9.8%)
Other - write in - 14 (11.5%)
Total Voters: 122

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 Game of the Year  (Read 6591 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2004, 05:51:17 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Quote from: "Glycerine"
You should slap anyone who voted for Half-Life 2, but at the same time rips Doom 3 for being "more of the same".

Glycerine

yeah, half life 2 is "more of the same" because of all of those scores of other games where you lead an insect takeover of a prison,  lead a resistance movement against an opressive government,  decapitate zombies with flying saw blades and use radiators as shields and impact weapons   :?

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

* Don't forget manhacks..  coolest. enemy. ever.

* Problem solving using a complex physics engine.

* "Dog" - nuff said smile

* gravity gun - never been done. used for problem solving, defense, and a kickass weapon. truly innovative.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »

Doom 3 = MSPaint + Paintbucket tool + Black.  Oh, and monster closets.  And utterly shitty gameplay.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2004, 01:41:27 PM »

It is between Thief 3 and Vampire, for me, since I have not played any of the games mentioned in the poll.

Thief 3.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2004, 02:11:30 PM »

Yeah I really don't understand the sudden (if mostly small) backlash against Half-Life 2 that some people are experiencing.

I think most of the issues with HL2 are seated in people's highly unrealistic expectations.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2004, 05:15:06 AM »

Rome has taken many hours of my life.  CoH did too, but it wasn't worth as much.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2004, 06:58:24 AM »

I didnt even look at the other games on that list until afer I voted for HL2 slywink

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

Rome: Total War  -  Most complete, fulfulling, yet user-friendly game ever.

It got my vote.  (it was close though)   :wink:

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2004, 11:00:58 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Otherwise, very weak year for PC gaming for me.  Pirates is on my Christmas list though.

Very weak year!?  Cripes, man, this year has had more blockbuster potential game of the year contenders than the last 5 years combined, as far as I'm concerned.  Wow.

Oh, and WOW is my game of the year, with HL2 being about a millionth of an inch below it.  R:TW, COH, Far Cry - all would have been game of the year for me in any of the past 5 years.  Doom 3 gets my biggest let down of the year award.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2004, 01:57:20 AM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Otherwise, very weak year for PC gaming for me.  Pirates is on my Christmas list though.

Very weak year!?  Cripes, man, this year has had more blockbuster potential game of the year contenders than the last 5 years combined, as far as I'm concerned.  Wow.

Oh, and WOW is my game of the year, with HL2 being about a millionth of an inch below it.  R:TW, COH, Far Cry - all would have been game of the year for me in any of the past 5 years.  Doom 3 gets my biggest let down of the year award.

I don't play MMORPGs so that wipes WoW, CoH, and EQ2 right off of my list.  Far Cry was outstanding I agree.  I'm not too big on strategy games either so R:TW isn't likely to be a big contender for me (though it is on my Christmas List).  

The only games left- HL2, Thief 3, and Far Cry are all excellent (with T3 and HL2 two of my favorite games in recent years).  Still, if I were to make a Top 10 list pretty much everything after spot four or five would be on there by default and not  necessarily indicative of real quality.  

In terms of consistent quality throughout the year I felt previous years have been better even if they didn't have games that reached the lofty heights of Thief 3 and HL2.
Cremator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »

VtM: Bloodlines for me.
Gotta have my RPG fix...
StormcloudCreations
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »

Rome: Total War probably makes it to the top of the list IMO (since I don't really play MMORPG's much really). Immersive, turn-based strategy game with a cool combat candy coating. Good stuff. smile

Derek
Stormcloud Creations
www.stormcloudcreations.com
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 08:58:25 PM »

Quote from: "StormcloudCreations"
Rome: Total War probably makes it to the top of the list IMO (since I don't really play MMORPG's much really). Immersive, turn-based strategy game with a cool combat candy coating. Good stuff. smile

*blink* Ahh Rome is turned based? I figured it was another age of empires 3d knock off mots rts. Maybe I should look at it then.

FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 09:34:29 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Quote from: "StormcloudCreations"

*blink* Ahh Rome is turned based? I figured it was another age of empires 3d knock off mots rts. Maybe I should look at it then.
Rome is both. Civ type turn-based grand strategy and real-time tactical battles. Nowhere near RTS mots.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2004, 09:48:49 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I think most of the issues with HL2 are seated in people's highly unrealistic expectations.
Well, that and ZOMG STEAMZ!!!1111PONE.

PC Gamers.  Hoo boy.  They bitch about piracy in one thread, then turn around and bitch about Steam in the other.

Then they make threads about not having internet connections to register Steam with.  Uh...

My ranking on the list above:

1.)  World of Warcraft. Yeah, HL2's more visceral, but with the time I've already put in WoW, I could have completed HL2, oh, five times.  And yes, I realize I made fun of this game at one point.  Yes, I was wrong.  Just don't play a Warlock.

2.)  Half-Life 2.  Best FPS of the year, bar none.

3.)  Other: Thief 3.  Come on.  Not only was it my favorite in the series, it had SHALEBRIDGE, possibly one of the best-designed levels In Any Game Ever(TM).  Why Pirates! makes the cut but Thief 3 doesn't is WAY beyond me.

4.)  UT2k4.  Fun while it lasted.

5.)  Pirates!.  It's not that bad, but it's definitely not great.  Crank up the difficulty, because the game defaults to "three-year-old" mode.

6.)  Rome: Total War.  I don't like this game.  The overworld map is butt-ugly.  City upgrades are a chore.  Political intrigue is dead (kill everyone else, then kill the other Romans, gg).  Combat is less grand strategy and more exploit the AI (and don't say ZOMG UR FALT U CHEET, just, I wanted to see if my army of 100 mixed troops could defeat an invading force of ~600-700 barbarians, who were mostly melee.  Using a little micro management, I pwnd the attacking force.  This was not satisfying in the least.)  Oh, and as for the graphics--I saw Troy for $7.

But it is a high-production-value game, stable, and for the most part does what it says it'll do.  I can see why everyone likes it.  I just happened to loathe it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2004, 11:36:26 PM »

WoW is my GOTY.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2004, 01:26:50 AM »

I'd have to say FarCry for it's graphics and open-endedness.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2004, 01:41:03 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
PC Gamers.  Hoo boy.  They bitch about piracy in one thread, then turn around and bitch about Steam in the other.

Steam was as sucessful at protecting against HL2 piracy as forcing everyone to listening to Yoko Ono records during sex protects against unwanted pregancy. It didn't work and just annoyed those who were legitimately trying to enjoy themselves.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2004, 02:06:24 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Steam was as sucessful at protecting against HL2 piracy as forcing everyone to listening to Yoko Ono records during sex protects against unwanted pregancy. It didn't work and just annoyed those who were legitimately trying to enjoy themselves.

Are there functioning versions of Half Life 2 retail on the warez and torrent sites? I hadn't heard anything about it being cracked yet, not that I'm particularly in the know on that. Steam may be a nuisance but it wasn't nearly as ineffective as you claim. Even if there's a pirated version out now, there certainly wasn't one before release day, which can't be said for any other major release this year. That right there is a pretty big triumph.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »

I vote for City of Heroes.

Here's my breakdown:
Half Life 2 - about 12 hours (so far);  it's good, but doesn't have the 'pull' to keep me going and going and going.  I just do one level, then quit and pick it up again another day.

Rome - Total War:  about 20 hours gameplay;  generally prefer the strategic map to the battle map, and have been generally pleased with it, but it's taken a back seat to some other purchases.

Sid Meier's Pirates!:  (about 20 hours in and counting) Good fun, can play for as long or as short as you like, has the pirate theme (always a plus).  Another good game, but not GOTY.

World of Warcraft:  Of all the MMORPGs, I'm surprised to see this one was on the list.  I haven't played it (nor have the desire to), but don't see it as groundbreaking as CoH from what I've read.  The laggy start and the queue system do nothing to make me want to play it either (not trying to be flamey).

Unreal Tournament 2004:  probably logged about 120 hours on this between SP and MP.  Great game, very polished.  Online code is excellent, and it helps to have Zaxxon's (and Bobs) server where you can play against some friendly faces on a consistent basis.  This one gets my runner up vote.

Other - write in:
City of Heroes:  I have logged somewhere between 300-400 hours on this one (at least).  To date I have a 37 Controller, a 34 Scrapper and a 24 Empath Defender plus a bunch of lower alts.  That doesn't make it GoTY material, but it does have quite a few very nice features:
+ Instanced missions -- missions take place on their own map
+ Credit for partial kills -- only need to do about 25% damage to get credit against a mission goal
+ Shared mission goals and rewards
+ Virtually no camping / farming due to the lack of equipment (uses the enhancement system instead, which everyone has equal access to)
+ Sidekick system allows you to team with any hero of any level and be an effective team member
+ Exemplar system further enhances sidekick system to allow you to revisit and complete Task Forces and unique missions you missed when you were a lower level
+ Not to leave out the fantastic character creator that allows you to look and feel uber even at level 1.  It also does an excellent job of making each hero look unique and avoids having all lower level characters of a class/type looking exactly the same.
+ Death uses the 'debt' system, where you 1/2 of your experience gained goes towards repaying your debt until its cleared.  You will never lose an ability you gained because you 'lost a level'.  A much better way to go IMO.
+ Ability to play and accomplish goals and missions in as little as 20 minutes.  No need to play for hours and hours just  to accomplish something (unless its a task force).

Once you get further in, each of the factions you battle has their own unique abilities:  Freaks heal/ressurect, Crey use force fields, Lost use psionic abilities, Warhulks explode on death, Carnival drain endurance..etc, etc.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2004, 07:52:19 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Are there functioning versions of Half Life 2 retail on the warez and torrent sites? I hadn't heard anything about it being cracked yet, not that I'm particularly in the know on that. Steam may be a nuisance but it wasn't nearly as ineffective as you claim. Even if there's a pirated version out now, there certainly wasn't one before release day, which can't be said for any other major release this year. That right there is a pretty big triumph.
I don't know if functioning copies are out there or not.  Since I bought the game, I haven't bothered checking.

Sorry Rob, Steam did its job as copy protection--it prevented a pre-launch pirate release.  And it did that job better and less intrusively than EVERY copy protection method before it.

Bitch and whine and moan and fence-hop all you want.  Steam passed with flying colors, and quite honestly, if I was a publisher or developer right now, I'd be looking into making a Steam-like required internet activation for all my games.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2004, 07:57:29 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I vote for City of Heroes.

World of Warcraft:  Of all the MMORPGs, I'm surprised to see this one was on the list.  I haven't played it (nor have the desire to), but don't see it as groundbreaking as CoH from what I've read.  The laggy start and the queue system do nothing to make me want to play it either (not trying to be flamey).

Uh.

You're surprised to see World of Warcraft on the list?  Why's that?  Guess you won't be able to tell us because you haven't played it.

City of Heroes.  Ha.  Played that for one night and never wanted to touch it again.  The only thing "groundbreaking" about CoH was its setting (oh, and the costume generator, which was FAR more entertaining than the actual game itself, laughably).

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
candy2500
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2004, 06:23:03 PM »

FarCry
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: