http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 05:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 180 Minute Shakedown - Burnout 3: Takedown [Xbox]  (Read 2192 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 09, 2004, 03:39:17 AM »

I put in the actual time I've spent on this game so far.  I'm really liking it a lot.  Anyway, here's my shakedown

Introduction:

Burnout 3: Takedown is Criterion Studios latest in the critically lauded series (look at my Burnout 2: Point of Impact Review for the GameCube to find out exactly how much that game surprised me).  This time around, Criterion is backed by Electronic Arts who just recently bought out the studio and their popular Renderware technology.  Lucky for Criterion they went with Electronic Arts because the previous publisher, Acclaim, recently went under.

To put Burnout 3: Takedown into simple terms it is the larger, faster, better playing and better looking sequel to Burnout 2: Point of Impact.  Those are the simple terms, I’ll get more into how it is all those things later.

This Shakedown is based on 3 hours of play.  I couldn’t put the damn game down after an hour because I hadn’t even touched the online aspect of the game yet.

Graphics:

Many people will say that Burnout 3: Takedown (henceforth known as Burnout 3) is not as good looking as Project Gotham Racing 2, arguably the best looking racing game out there at the moment.  In many ways I would agree with the people that say that, but there are some monumental differences that make Burnout 3 a better overall graphical package and it has a heck of a lot to do with online play.

Burnout 3 is an arcade racer.  You can take major damage and still go full speed in this game.  You can crash your car into little pieces and you’ll hop right back into the game to continue playing.  The car models, based on real-life cars but not licensed ala the Grand Theft Auto games, are fantastic, especially in the Crash sections of the game.  When you replay a crash you can see the reflections of the environment on the top of your car and everywhere else.  It’s really amazing how well the graphics turned out.

This game runs at a solid framerate and I have yet to see slowdown, even during online games.  As you are driving you will see a blur outside of your “tunnel view” as you go faster and faster, much like Need for Speed Underground and many of the other street racing games that have come out lately.  This gives it a realistic feel, although this game is obviously far from realistic.

The tracks themselves are nicely done as well and are far more filled with cars than the streets of Midtown Madness 3 of Project Gotham Racing 2, which obviously doesn’t have any traffic in it.  Where Burnout 3 outdoes PGR2 and Midtown Madness 3 is that the traffic is also present in even online games.  Midtown Madness 3’s levels became ghost towns other than you and the other drivers, PGR2 never had traffic in the game and the only traffic you have online are the other players.  In Burnout 3 you have the other players and a ton of traffic to go around.  Granted, there is a reason for the traffic being there (in order to raise your boost with near misses), but the fact that it runs smoothly even online is a testament to what Criterion has done.

Given how fast this game is I think the graphics are amazing and are easily a revolutionary step up from Burnout 2: Point of Impact.  Tracks are pretty to look at, the cars are well detailed and the Takedown/Crash camera slowdown is expertly handled.  Criterion deserves a round of applause for this game

Sound:

Sound is another source of contention reading all the forums out there buzzing about this game.  Many people have a problem with the EA Trax presented in this game.  I personally don’t and I find many of them to be pretty good.  It is far better than the Rap crap that EA dumped on us with Madden 2004 and will be dumping on us with Def Jam Fight for New York (which needs Rap in it since many characters are rappers).  I counted 44 tracks on this game if I remember.  Such up and coming bands as Franz Ferdinand, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Jimmy Eat World and The Von Bondies.  The beauty in the Xbox version (at least) is that you can turn off the tracks you don’t want to hear or set them to play only in game, in menu or all the time.  You can also add in your own tracks, however you do not have the option of setting them to play in game, menu or all the time.  I was a bit disappointed by that, but then again I found the given tracks not that bad.  There’s a wide range of music in those 44 tracks.

As for how the game sounds, all I can say is “Wow!”  This game sounds awesome in Dolby Digital 5.1.  You can hear the opposing cars coming from behind you, the crashes sound extremely painful and the car sounds are top notch.  The only minus I would give the sound category is the DJ that talks early on in the tutorials and I’m guessing during the game.  I wouldn’t know though, I turned him off.  I’ve heard he is highly annoying, so why bother to keep him on?  It’s nice they gave us the option to turn him off.

Gameplay:

Burnout 3 is a simple, but addictive, game to play.  R trigger accelerates, L trigger brakes, A is used to boost and the left analog stick is used to drive.  Pretty easy if you ask me.  Burnout 3 is split into different modes: World Tour and Online Play which basically translates to single and multiplayer.  In World Tour you go around the USA, Europe and the Far East doing different tasks and unlocking other tasks in order to further your way to completion.  Much like Project Gotham Racing 2 there is a natural order to the class of cars that you progress through.  You start small with Compact cars and go all the way up to Big Rigs like fire trucks and semis.  There are 67 cars in all for you to unlock and collect.

In the classes you’ll have to do a number of things and need to reach certain levels in order to win a bronze, silver or gold meal.  Sometimes you race for the fastest time, sometimes your job is to Takedown a certain number of cars before time runs out, sometimes you go head-to-head with a computer driver in order to win their car, etc.  There is a myriad of different game types in the World Tour.

There is one section that stands out though and is no surprise to anyone that has played Burnout 2: the Crash tasks.  In the Crash sections your job is to create as much monetary damage as you can in order to pass the level.  This time around in Burnout 3 there is a lot more tricks to use, such as jumps, tornado ramps, boosts, etc.  There is also the added beauty of when you reach a certain number of cars wrecked by your actions (the number is shown along with the levels to win the medals) you are able to detonate your car with the B button and create even more havoc and damage.

Along with the detonation button, the other big change from Burnout 2 is you now have an Aftertouch ability when you get into crashes.  As soon as you crash you can hold down the A button and then maneuver your left analog stick toward where you want your car to move and maybe Takedown an opponent’s car while in your crash (or in the case of Crash mode being able to push the car to crash into another vehicle in order to cause more damage).  Obviously this is very unrealistic because you can literally reverse your car’s current trajectory in order to hit a car on the other side of the road.  There are still physics and inertia involved, but you are able to move your cars in ways it shouldn’t move.  It is very cool when you have a crash or Takedown an opponent, the camera will give you a side view of the crash.  In the case of a Takedown it is like you are looking out the side of your car and then the game seamlessly moves you right back into the racing again…it’s very well done.

One of my problems with this game is that it is relatively easy to unlock things in the game if you repeat levels over and over and continue to amass cash, Burnout points and Takedowns.  Those three things unlock a lot of things and if you go into a massive crash task you can keep doing it over and over to get things unlocked.  I haven’t played Burnout 2 in a while, so I don’t remember if this type of thing was in that game or not.  I also find this game early on to be on the easy side with getting gold medals, but soon enough you’ll find it to be a little more difficult.  The beauty is that this game sucks you in and makes you so addicted that you don’t care if you spend hours trying to beat one race.  In many ways it is like Project Gotham Racing 2 in that respect.

Another problem that other people may not like is that the computer AI has rubberband technology where no matter how far ahead you are they’ll catch up to you.  My comeback on this is that the Burnout series has always had rubberband logic in it, so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.  You also have to remember this is an arcade game and not a simulation game.

Finally there is the online section of this game.  I will say there are currently problems with Electronic Art’s servers or something.  I was able to play a number of games online, but after some of the races I would get kicked off and when it tried to reconnect it would say that Xbox Live was unavailable.  I’ve never had that problem before with my Live account, so I’m guessing EA is having trouble ala NCAA Football 2005 when it first came out.  The biggest problem with this was that my ranking was not updated or saved when I got kicked off the server.  It’s no big deal, but if I was anal about my ranking I’d be pretty pissed.

You can play up to 5 players online and yourself, you can play 7 people and yourself in the Crash mode, but each person goes separately or in a team of 2.  There are 5 multiplayer modes: Race, Road Rage, Team Crush, Double Impact and Party Crash.  Race is what it is, Road Rage is a 3 vs. 3 (or less) game where one team is blue and the other is red.  The blue team needs to get to the end of the race 11 miles ahead without having the red team knock them out.  It’s quite a cool game and was the one I most played online.  Team Crush and Double Impact are for 2 people where you find routes to the biggest smash and fight for crash dollars respectively.  Party Crash can be done solo or in teams of two to get the most crash money.

They don’t sound all that exciting, but I think Race and Road Rage along with Party Crash are going to be highly popular.  Overall the online component runs well and I didn’t notice any slowdown or any graphical oddity versus the single-player section of the game.

Overall:

This game is even more addictive than Burnout 2: Point of Impact was.  More tracks, more cars, better graphics, online play, the Takedown/Crash camera and Aftertouch system all combine to make this an awesome arcade racing game and possibly the best one ever made so far.

Expect my review coming up, although I would guess much of it will include a lot of this stuff in this shakedown.

Feel free to post your thoughts on this game from what you have played of it so far.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 05:32:45 AM »

That's it. Rainbow Six 3 : Black Arrow is going in tomorrow for a trade.

As Devil would say ... IN!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 03:00:34 PM »

Good stuff once again on the shakedown.

Game is almost everything you'd expect and then some.

Already IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 03:08:33 PM »

Loren, any word yet on what EA is doing to fix all the Live issues? It's probably too early but I hope they take care of everything soon.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 03:12:49 PM »

What issues are you seeing Simon?  I've not heard yet...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 03:24:54 PM »

Major problems... last night I couldn't hear some people talking, would get kicked out of Live after finishing a race, the ranking wouldn't update, and I would get kicked out of the race lobby with a message saying that it couldn't establish a connection with all the other racers. It was happening a lot and to everyone who was playing. We eventually just switched over to PGR2.

When we did get to race though, it was fantastic.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 03:37:52 PM »

The only thing I could say on EA's behalf is that they planned on starting up the online stuff today (9/9) according to the Burnout 3 website, where it says:

"Look for Burnout 3 in stores beginning 9/8. Get your copy and start practicing because our Online Play section opens 9/9 featuring leaderboards, top drivers, and more!"

So maybe last night it was broken and tonight it will be just fine *shrug*

I am going to guess they are having the same kind of problems they had when NCAA Football 2005 came out, except this time we can actually reliably get in and at least play.

What I experienced last night:

1. Was able to play 3 games straight at one point.  After last one was done I got booted off and got the "cannot connect to Xbox Live" message asking if I wanted to troubleshoot or cancel (I got this a few times off and on).

2. Played another game, finished and got booted afterwards and it didn't update my ranking (this happened on several occasions last night...no big deal to me)

I did not have the voice cutout at any time though, although I know people are experiencing that.  I'm sure last night was a great time for EA to stress test the servers and they'll make appropriate changes in order to make the game work like they did with NCAA 2005.

I also did not get the disconnect while waiting for other players to load...lucky me I guess biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 04:57:01 PM »

I'll be on Live again tonight so I'm curious to see if it's any better. I just hope they fix everything soon before people's interest in playing starts to go down.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 08:02:06 PM »

The whole game is simply amazing.

Right now I'm at like 60% through all the singleplayer stuff. I completed the entire crash circuit already. I'm done with racing in the US, and have a couple of races under my belt in Europe.

Awesome. Just simply awesome.

Haven't messed with Live yet. I might not until I've unlocked everything. I don't know.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 08:05:49 PM »

60% !?  Dude....thats quick!!  I spent weeks on the previous titles...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »

I don't have anything but gold medals either.

But to put things in perspective, I played from 6 yesterday evening until about 12:30 last night. And then from 9 this morning until about 3:30.

So, figure that's 13 hours.

And that was spent mostly on the crash mode. Normally, most of the crash levels only took me 1 try, and the ones that took more didn't usually take more than 3.

The whole "aftertouch" ability to control the car in slow-mo in mid-air makes the entire crash mode much much easier. So do the X4 pickups. Rarely if ever did I not get a gold medal if I managed to grab that big green X4 multiplier. All of this is a good thing, as I occasionally found myself very frustrated with the crash mode in Burnout 2.

Anyway, I think you could very well spend weeks playing this game, but not if you sit down and play it for over 12 hours in two days.

I'd still be playing if I didn't have to close at work tonight.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 08:29:15 PM »

So, does someone want to try to convince me why I should spend $50 on this game?

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 08:37:09 PM »

I got home late yesterday and planned on playing for an hour or so.  I finally turned it off and went to bed three hours later.  It trapped me in the "one more race" syndrome and I couldn't stop playing.  Man, I think I might have to take a nap during my lunch hour today at work.  I spent most of the time doing the crash tasks trying beat my previous scores.  There's something so satisfying about seeing "Crashbreaker in 3...2...1..." and then hitting that button.   smile

I'll agree that the DJ is annoying.  I left him on for the first race, but found his chattering to be distracting and kind of took me out of the game.  The music is pretty good and it's stuff I'd probably listen to normally.  In racing game I'd rather listen to some heavier rock or techno, but I won't complain.  It coulda been gangsta rap after all.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 11:13:52 PM »

Wow....you'd swear this game was the second coming.  On that note...I'd bet you might see a review on it...oh...maybe tomorrow.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: