http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 06:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17.6 Million to begin developing games for PS3 - Yowza!  (Read 1638 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »

Link to story:
Word on the net has it that Japanese game developers are leaving the PS3 at a rate worse than Nintendo’s GameCube era”. Kutaragi could be demanding too much greatness from developers, and with initial investment required for PS3 development reported to be as high as US $17.6 million some developers could now be leaving Sony in favour of Microsoft and their Xbox 360.

The industry insider went on to say, “Kutaragi has said, ‘Please develop suitable software for PS3 - this software must not be of the same standard as PS2 software.’ Developing software for the PS3 from scratch will require an initial investment of at least 2 billion yen [US $17.6 million] [not including development costs]. There are not many software companies that can easily afford that kind of money.”

I bolded the text above that the figure does not including development costs.  Those are some seriously big bucks!  Thoughts?  Microsoft for teh win?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:01:47 PM »

Well, I guess EA is still able to afford a PS3 showing.

Pardon my [insert language foreign to YOU]; but that is a FUCKLOAD of money to drop on development of a product that may or may not achieve commercial success. It's like being a backer for "Waterworld". :: shudder ::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »

Please develop suitable software for PS3 - this software must not be of the same standard as PS2 software

Translation: "Stop developing crap.  That shit you did before?  Not gonna fly this time kids"

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:16:13 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Translation: "Stop developing crap.  That shit you did before?  Not gonna fly this time kids"

Heh. I think it still will. See, the backwards compatibility on X360 muddies the water; where the xbox was the most advanced and going to the next level doesn't show as big a difference as PS2 to PS3. God, PS2 is ugly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 05:54:55 PM »

God, PS2 is ugly.

Yeah, and I regretted every moment I played in Disgaea.  :wink:

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »

Out of curiosity, now much is the "buy in" to develop for the 360?  Without some numbers to compare I have a hard time telling how important this is.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 06:22:27 PM »

A dev kit is roughly 10,000 dollars.  Licensing I don't know.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:34:33 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
A dev kit is roughly 10,000 dollars.  Licensing I don't know.

For the original Xbox or the 360?  If that's the 360 then even adding licensing that's a hell of a difference.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 06:44:44 PM »

That is for the 360.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 06:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

For the record, that picture cracks me up everytime I see it. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 08:01:14 PM »

If this is true, it is absolutely insane. Is Sony possibly shooting themselves in the foot with this? Will it impact the availability of titles enough to give MS and Nintendo a huge boost?

This is crazy methinks.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 08:44:55 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Link to story:
The industry insider went on to say, “Kutaragi has said, ‘Please develop suitable software for PS3 - this software must not be of the same standard as PS2 software.’ Developing software for the PS3 from scratch will require an initial investment of at least 2 billion yen [US $17.6 million] [not including development costs]. There are not many software companies that can easily afford that kind of money.”

More thoughts/questions.

1. What does "from scratch" mean?  Will all developers start from scratch?

2. Will development of "software" be a one time thing?  So for example will Square be able to use that 1 piece of software for every game?

3. If #2 is yes then can I simply buy (or license) that "software" from another company?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 12:16:40 AM »

The article is total bullshit.  There's no way it costs that much without doing any development.  They need to say what that cost covers.  Sounds more like someone estimated the cost for title development from start to finish for PS3 and it got miscommunicated to a reporter.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 02:26:17 AM »

17.6 million is still pretty phenomenal for lets say an average development cost. Wow.
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 03:45:41 AM »

From reading the original Japanese article, http://www.zakzak.co.jp/top/2005_09/t2005092602.html , I get the impression that the JPY 2 billion figure does include the development cost.

The USD17.5 million figure should be interpreted as an entry barrier, meaning in Kutaragi's word, "if you don't have JPY 2 billion, don't expect to develop a next-gen title conforming to our expectation of PS3 quality".  This should be considered as the minimum cost of developing the next-gen title.  

Considering that Jak 2 & Jak 3 cost USD 10 million and that Psychonauts costs USD 12 million, USD 17.5 million for a next-gen title is hardly surprising.  

P.S.  IMHO, Zakzak, where the article originates, is hardly a source for industry insider info.  It's like expecting a gossip/tabloid to reveal the latest industry trend.  If you don't believe me, check out more prominent sections on that site.   :wink:  http://www.zakzak.co.jp/Queen2004/index.html
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 05:16:05 AM »

Yeah, IIRC Halo 2 cost upwards of $20 million and I would certainly expect Halo 3 to come out at $30 million or more.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 08:59:46 AM »

Quote from: "Galadriels"
P.S.  IMHO, Zakzak, where the article originates, is hardly a source for industry insider info.  It's like expecting a gossip/tabloid to reveal the latest industry trend.  If you don't believe me, check out more prominent sections on that site.   :wink:  http://www.zakzak.co.jp/Queen2004/index.html

:shock: :blink: :blink:

¡–]ŒŽ”ü² (Misa Mochizuki) is HOT.

biggrin what was the topic again?  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: