http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 02:27:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 107 Hours in 'Fallout 3'  (Read 1934 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »

107 hours sounds like a really long time.  Think of all the other things I could have been doing in the real world!  When you consider that I started playing back in late February, though, it actually comes out to a couple hours a week.  I was also playing Fallout 3 without the benefit of any walk-through or guide, so my path through the wasteland was pretty meandering.

I picked some really great skills to start the game with, but mostly for the wrong reasons.  For example, I tagged a high Repair skill because the description talked about making your own weapons and I figured anything I could cobble together would be better than the junk I'd find in the ashes of a nuclear holocaust.  Who knew scavenging parts out of one rifle to maintain another was so critical to survival?  I also bumped my starting Intelligence up to 9 figuring it would make me more helpful to the people I met, and didn't really consider all the extra skill points it would grant me every level. icon_redface  On the other hand, I picked Small Guns because I correctly assumed they'd be both common and useful, and Medicine because I didn't know if I could rely on anyone else to patch me up.  Pretty good choices in all!

My planned personality was also different than in most RPGs.  Altruism is nice when you're a jedi or a paladin and have the luxury being a Symbol to the People, but in the radioactive wastes, baby needs a new magazine of .556 ammunition.  I didn't turn down a single proffered reward until long after I was swimming in bottle caps and spare parts, and anytime it didn't involve reneging on a deal, I tried to wheedle even more out of people.  I wanted to help people and do as many quests as possible, but by God, I was going to get paid for the effort and exact revenge on anyone who tried to double-cross me whether the game called it "Evil" or not.  This actually came up pretty early in the game, too: during one of the very first quests when I was searching for
Spoiler for Hiden:
my father, Moriarty said he'd only part with the information for a large sum of caps.  I decided I wasn't going to pay that scummy blackmailer one single cent so I hacked into his private terminal in the middle of the night and took what I needed.
  Took the karmic hit too.  I wonder what kind of discussions they were having at Bethesda when they decided that paying that extortion fee was morally superior to non-violently taking information about my own family. icon_confused

Though I didn't have a guide, I did remember a couple things that people had said in the months since Fallout 3's release.  Complaints about hitting the level cap too early convinced me to avoid the experience booting perks.  I also heard an interesting podcast where they said the "Wasteland Survival Guide" series of quests was really a cleverly disguised tutorial on how to deal with stuff like radiation poisoning and crippled limbs, so I focused on doing those first.  For that second one, I jumped off a roof in Megaton a couple times until my ankles snapped like pencils and then dragged myself up the filthy ramp to Craterside Supply to find it was closed for the evening.  Bitch.

Actually, Moira was one of my favorite characters in the whole game.  I got the sense early on that her ditsy demeanor was a defense mechanism, and near the end of the quest line, her quiet speech about
Spoiler for Hiden:
how the world is a piece of broken glass that can never reassembled the way it was, but instead refashioned into a beautiful mosaic
is one of my favorite bits of videogame writing ever.

I think my favorite all-around quest was "Reilly's Rangers."  I was in the middle of doing something completely different when I stumbled across it, and whether it really has a time limit or not, I dropped everything and hauled ass to get it done!  The rewards were damn worth the effort, too.  I liked "Oasis" too, mostly because the situation really made me stop and think about the best thing to do.  In the end, I
Spoiler for Hiden:
accelerated the tree-man's growth in the hopes it would restore life to the surrounding area that much sooner.  The potential benefit to future generations of wasteland survivors was too great to pass up just to honor the wishes of one man.

As far as I know, I've completed every major quest in Fallout 3 except for "Strictly Business" which appears on the Achievement list but, through some fluke of fate, I've never encountered.  Everything else I found on my own.  It's amazing how anything that seems potentially interesting in this game somehow rewards your curiosity.

I picked up the DVD releases of the first four expansion packs after I hit the original Level 20 cap about 75% of the way through the main game.  Man, all that stuff is really well integrated!  Now I've completed everything I can find in Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel, and while the first two wouldn't have held up so well as late-comers to the original game, they're *fantastic* add-ins to explore as organic parts of the journey.  Broken Steel was great follow-up to the core game too, especially since I've heard that in the original game, you couldn't continue playing after you finished the story.  Speaking of the original story, by the way, what the hell was up with (end spoiler)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Narrator Guy giving me attitude about sending Fawkes in to deactivate Project Purity.  The dude is immune to radiation!  He was perfectly fine afterwards!  Is my character really less of a hero because she preferred saving *everybody* over committing suicide?

This means that Point Lookout remains untouched and I don't even own Mothership Zeta yet...but after eight months of regular play, I'm thinking it's time for a rest.  Fallout 3 is the most enjoyable and rewarding RPG I've played since Baldur's Gate 2, and frankly, I want to see how Dragon Age: Origins stacks up. icon_cool thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »

Holy crap that's a lot of bobblehead dolls.  I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the game and I've JUST found my first one! Where the hell do they hide those things anyways?  I'm at 47 hours right now and to be perfectly honest I'm ready to be finished with the game.  Don't get me wrong-the game is fantastic, in fact it's probably the best game I've ever played.  But 47 hours is more than I've put into any game that wasn't multiplayer including the Final Fantasy series games and Tactics!  It's wonderful but I've got a lot of other games to play so I'm trying to push through the main storyline and get the game over with.  Stalker, Mass Effect and The Witcher are calling!  I can't afford to put 107 hours into a single game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 09, 2009, 07:17:05 AM

Holy crap that's a lot of bobblehead dolls.  I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the game and I've JUST found my first one! Where the hell do they hide those things anyways? 

IIRC the first one you can find is before you originally leave the vault, on your fathers desk.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2009, 08:27:12 AM

Where the hell do they hide those things anyways? 

IIRC the first one you can find is before you originally leave the vault, on your fathers desk.

Doh!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »

Holy crap that's a lot of bobblehead dolls.  I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the game and I've JUST found my first one! Where the hell do they hide those things anyways?  I'm at 47 hours right now and to be perfectly honest I'm ready to be finished with the game.  Don't get me wrong-the game is fantastic, in fact it's probably the best game I've ever played.  But 47 hours is more than I've put into any game that wasn't multiplayer including the Final Fantasy series games and Tactics!  It's wonderful but I've got a lot of other games to play so I'm trying to push through the main storyline and get the game over with.  Stalker, Mass Effect and The Witcher are calling!  I can't afford to put 107 hours into a single game.

107 hours sounds right if you want to see everything, including all the DLCs.  It certainly doesn't take that long to do the main story stuff and a reasonable number of side quests.  My first playthrough probably was around 50 hours.  I'm assuming that you're at a pretty high level, so it shouldn't take you to long to finish the game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:09 PM »

I loved the game as well.  I still need to finish Point Lookout and download The Pitt at some point.  I missed several bobbleheads in areas I had went through already.  I eventually went back and got them all except one.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I missed the one in Raven Rock and in the 360 version I don't believe you can go back and get it.  icon_frown
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

This game received a lot of complaints, but as of now I'd have to say it's my all time favorite game.  I loved the mood and how rewarding it was to just wander around looking for stuff to do.  What a great game. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:15:59 PM »

Holy crap that's a lot of bobblehead dolls.  I think I'm getting fairly close to the end of the game and I've JUST found my first one! Where the hell do they hide those things anyways?

Ever heard the expression, "The best place to hide an envelope is on the living room mantle?"  That's where Bethesda hid the bobbleheads, right out in the open, on a shelf or in the middle of the floor, ready to be overlooked as part of the scenery.  My memory is that most of the bobbleheads aren't in major quest locations, but are placed in incidental locations you might explore out of curiosity.

I forgot to mention that although I never used a strategy guide for the game, I did consult a list to find the last two bobbleheads: Unarmed and Lockpicking.  It turned out they were stashed in out-of-the-way places I'd never found on my own, and after getting the first 18, I really wanted to get the Achievement. icon_wink

I'm at 47 hours right now and to be perfectly honest I'm ready to be finished with the game.  Don't get me wrong-the game is fantastic, in fact it's probably the best game I've ever played.  But 47 hours is more than I've put into any game that wasn't multiplayer including the Final Fantasy series games and Tactics!  It's wonderful but I've got a lot of other games to play so I'm trying to push through the main storyline and get the game over with.  Stalker, Mass Effect and The Witcher are calling!  I can't afford to put 107 hours into a single game.

Oh, I played lots of other stuff over the last eight months.  Sometimes I wouldn't load up Fallout 3 for a couple weeks at a time because I was hooked Arkham Asylum or Ultimate Alliance 2.  I always came back, though...and barring a format to Windows 7, I'll probably be back to do Point Lookout before too long. nod

-Autistic Angel
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »

Funny, I think around 107 hours was what I spent playing Persona 3 last spring.

I finally got back into playing this at the beginning of summer, and I think I was 2/3 through the main story after about 45 hours.  I do a lot of wandering.  I stopped when I was crossing the wastes with my AI buddy, and s/he got jumped by a wandering robot while lagging way behind me.  By the time I realized what was up and got back there, s/he was dead.  That was when I realized it'd been 45 minutes since I last saved.  I didn't want to lose the follower (I felt guilty), but I also wasn't relishing making up that time, so I haven't picked it up since.  I'm dumb.

I think at this point, I need to wait until the spring to get back into this.  The fall releases wind up keeping me from playing long RPGs.  I think Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and this are on my "must finish soon" list.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on November 09, 2009, 07:23:10 PM

This game received a lot of complaints, but as of now I'd have to say it's my all time favorite game.  I loved the mood and how rewarding it was to just wander around looking for stuff to do.  What a great game. 

To each his own.  I thought it was good, but overrated.  I enjoyed wandering the wilderness - probably the best part of the game.  But I thought the character interactions were entirely flat, the story line only ok and the ending to be one of the dumbest in years.  Not to mention that combat got kind of ridiculous and drudging through yet another ruined Metro tunnel became mind-numbingly boring. 

Funny that AA got 107 hours in.  I think I got 17 and dumped it after one play-through.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »

Sounds like my Oblivion time - it was something right near (or over) 100 hours when I finally decided to 'beat the game' (after exploring a ton, playing some addons, etc etc). And this was before the deluge of addons that are available out there now.

I really need to go back and play Oblivion again...

Great story by the way, AA. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 09, 2009, 12:05:43 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2009, 08:27:12 AM

Where the hell do they hide those things anyways? 

Doh!

Now you gotta start over.   icon_wink
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »

Heh, I had the almost complete opposite reaction.  I thought Moira was one of the most annoying characters in any RPG (except for Mud in Gothic and Noober in Baldur's Gate).  I did maybe a dozen or so sidequests before getting bored and beasting through the main story as fast as possible.  When I got to where I sensed a point of no return I considered doing some random exploring and/or sidequests and decided screw it I'll finish.  I was promptly treated to quite possibly the worst ending of any game I've played.

I'm glad I got it as a gift and didn't pay full price.  I think I decided it was about 7/10.  After Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 I've learned that Bethesda does world-building and sandbox play well; they do characters and stories poorly.  I value the latter highly.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:47 AM »

Funny I only put 18 hours into Oblivion before giving up.  Something just didn't click for me.  And I was constantly dying!  I guess sword combat just isn't my thing.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:36 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on November 09, 2009, 11:02:08 PM

I was promptly treated to quite possibly the worst ending of any game I've played.
This. Major wtf moment when I couldn't go any further.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »

Well I finished the game on the PS3 but I don't want to start a new thread so I'll just post here.  50 hours and 6 minutes.  Probably add in another couple of hours after reload.  This is the longest game that I've ever played and actually managed to finish so that is a sign of just how good it is.  One of the best games I've ever played.  On the other hand, it did show me that there IS a such thing as too much of a good thing.  By the end I was just ready to finish.  I'd already reached the 20 level limit  and I just felt that it was time to move on.  I have to say that my line of thinking is similar to Tycho's from PA when he said that he finished Fallout 3 but didn't grab any of the expansions because he 'loves games too much'.  I doubt I'll grab any expansions either and I seriously doubt that I'll play through it again and play a bad guy.
Oh and put me down as another one who thought the ending was pretty meh-I did think that the part leading up to the ending was pretty damn cool.  I won't spoil anything-just say one word- ROBOT! smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »

Oh I have a question!
Spoiler for Hiden:
In Megaton there was a bad guy that wanted me to blow up the nuke.  I told the Sheriff about him and when he confronted him the bad guy killed the sheriff and then walked out the place.  I thought I would meet up with him again further along in the storyline but I never saw or heard from him again.  What's up with him?

and

Spoiler for Hiden:
Who took out the contract on me so that the Talon mercs would try to take me out?
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on November 09, 2009, 11:02:08 PM

I'm glad I got it as a gift and didn't pay full price.  I think I decided it was about 7/10.  After Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 I've learned that Bethesda does world-building and sandbox play well; they do characters and stories poorly.  I value the latter highly.

I think this is what separates a lot of the lover/haters of Bethesda games.  I love the sandbox nature and it's one of the few games that I really feel like I'm role-playing.  I tend to naturally fill in the 'gaps' in the story in Bethesda games on my own -- I don't feel like I lose a lot because every aspect of the story isn't told to me or spelled out.  For example -- the 'ending' that I think everyone is complaining about didn't bother me at all.  I could come up with lots of reasons why a certain someone wouldn't help.  It seemed to me that the people complaining about the ending where judging it like a movie and trying to look for plot holes -- I don't play Bethesda games like I'm an actor in a movie - I feel like I'm the one doing a lot of the story telling.

While in Bioware games, for example, I sometimes feel like I'm playing a choose your own adventure book (an exaggeration to try and make a point not to knock bioware) in that the story is completely scripted and I'm just deciding what particular path I'm going to take.  It's more difficult to feel like the main character is my alter-ego as no matter what path I choose the character has already been well defined for me. I do enjoy Bioware games for the tight stories and more tactical combat, but I don't get nearly as immersed in the world.  I could see how others would have the complete opposite experience though, with the tighter story causing more immersion. I really don't think it is that one approach is better than the other, but that each approach satisfies a different group of people.

d

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 14, 2009, 02:05:55 PM

By the end I was just ready to finish.  I'd already reached the 20 level limit  and I just felt that it was time to move on.  I have to say that my line of thinking is similar to Tycho's from PA when he said that he finished Fallout 3 but didn't grab any of the expansions because he 'loves games too much'.  I doubt I'll grab any expansions either and I seriously doubt that I'll play through it again and play a bad guy.
Oh and put me down as another one who thought the ending was pretty meh-I did think that the part leading up to the ending was pretty damn cool.  I won't spoil anything-just say one word- ROBOT! smile

If you were to pick up one of the DLC packs, I'd recommend Broken Steel.  It increases the level cap to 30, complete with all-new perks, and the plot is a direct extension to the original game leading up to a "real" conclusion to the story.

I thought each of the three DLCs I played were excellent, but Broken Steel was a direct attempt to address dissatisfaction with how the original story ended and it would be my top pick of the group.

Quote from: Canuck on November 14, 2009, 02:12:27 PM

Oh I have a question!
Spoiler for Hiden:
In Megaton there was a bad guy that wanted me to blow up the nuke.  I told the Sheriff about him and when he confronted him the bad guy killed the sheriff and then walked out the place.  I thought I would meet up with him again further along in the storyline but I never saw or heard from him again.  What's up with him?

Spoiler for Hiden:
My character used her Black Widow perk to seduce Burke into abandoning his plan to blow up Megaton and leave town forever.  He sent her a couple love letters through Moriarty after that talking about how how much he missed her, but he had to go into hiding to avoid retribution from his employers so she never saw him again.

Burke is just an emissary of Alistair Tenpenny and, as such, only appears for a very limited role Fallout 3.  I don't think there's any set of decisions that lead to a big showdown with him.

Quote from: Canuck on November 14, 2009, 02:12:27 PM

and

Spoiler for Hiden:
Who took out the contract on me so that the Talon mercs would try to take me out?

Spoiler for Hiden:
My assumption is that there isn't one single source for the assassination contract, that any band of raiders, slavers, the Enclave, or any would-be opportunists go take out a hit on a Good vault dweller who's interfering with their operations.  It's just like the bounty hunters who come looking for an Evil character -- the persons posting the reward could be anyone who's been wronged.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: